Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! 13:59 - Jan 4 with 1582 viewsdurham_exile

After yet another shocking display and consequent defeat at Crawley the U’s head to Gander Green Lane (aka the VBS Community Stadium) to play the league’s surprise team Sutton United in the last 16 of the Papa John’s trophy.

On Saturday we did at least manage to record an Away goal, the first in seven games, but it was otherwise a dismal display.

Now I am an optimist and definitely a glass half full exponent, but this current Colchester side is testing my patience and stamina. Still, it could be worse Wreck It Ralph has managed to make Manchester United so uninspiring and dire that I almost felt sorry for them playing against the Wolves last night.

So how can we improve. Well, it isn’t difficult. First HM must play two strikers. Sears cannot operate on his own up front effectively. While we still have Syl Jasper at the club play him alongside as a pairing. Judge just in behind then play Wiredu (while he is still at the club) Chilvers and Skuse as a three-man midfield and then the back four must include either Daniels or Clampin at left back with Tchamadeu or MWH and Chambers and Smith as the central pairing. I know this will not be popular with the Tom Eastman fraternity, but he has been off his game this season and perhaps need to operate as a substitute.

I see that the club are looking at a short-term deal for Alex Bass from Pompey as a stand in keeper with Shamal George still injured and Jake Turner presumably going back to Newcastle.

Despite the club’s protestations that they are working to bring in new faces (probably Leslie Crowther who hosted the show) there is little evidence that anyone wants to come. Scunny appear to be driving up the price for Loft, but at least there appears to be no firm bid from Forest for Brendan Wiredu (thank goodness).

I have to say that as bad as things were last season, this season has seen no improvement and we are simply treading water, rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic and slowly sinking into the Marianas trench. It is a grim affair.

Calls for HM to go are ignored, calls for the Chairman to go are met with stinging criticism from the embittered chap and de Sousa and Humes are safer than Klopp and Guardiola. It is a complete sh**show.

Tommy Smith has issued a rallying call for the players to be better at the back and upfront. I take little comfort in the belief that there are two worse teams than Colchester in the league this year. We are simply not making any positive progress.
Anyway, the Papa John’s Trophy gives an opportunity to at least progress and earn some more cash and certainly Pizza!

Let’s try the following team 4,3,1,2

Turner

Tchamadeu Chambers Smith Clampin

Wiredu Chilvers Skuse

Judge

Jasper Sears

Subs
Collins Eastman Kennedy Hannant Tovide Dobra Daniels

Tonight, offers a break from the rigours of the league and should be viewed as such.
The weather will be 2 degrees Celsius, clear and dry.

I think 2-1 to the Super U’s

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Try and enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 14:09 - Jan 4 with 1104 viewsWitham

Mr and Mrs Witham will be there. Although Crawley was disappointing we had the chances but didn't make the best of them. Not helped by a poor linesman - Tommy Smith's feelings towards him were polite than mine !
Of all the grounds visited this year the Crawley fan experience was the worst - even Stevenage was better - but ours is a close to third from bottom.
However we are due a win tonight.
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 16:13 - Jan 4 with 1058 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 14:09 - Jan 4 by Witham

Mr and Mrs Witham will be there. Although Crawley was disappointing we had the chances but didn't make the best of them. Not helped by a poor linesman - Tommy Smith's feelings towards him were polite than mine !
Of all the grounds visited this year the Crawley fan experience was the worst - even Stevenage was better - but ours is a close to third from bottom.
However we are due a win tonight.

Well done Mr and Mrs Witham, I really hope that the U's secure a win tonight.

The loss of Loft to a rival is a real kick in the teeth.

Difficult to see where the signings are coming from.

Against all odds we can win tonight.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:13 - Jan 4 with 1016 viewsMoor_Pinot

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 16:13 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

Well done Mr and Mrs Witham, I really hope that the U's secure a win tonight.

The loss of Loft to a rival is a real kick in the teeth.

Difficult to see where the signings are coming from.

Against all odds we can win tonight.

Up the U's

No Jasper?

Moor Pinot

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:30 - Jan 4 with 1004 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:13 - Jan 4 by Moor_Pinot

No Jasper?

Pinault no word perhaps he has returned to Fulham

I have to say that the information regarding possible team is pitiful. Never any word on injuries or players returning to the team.

The Gazette info is poor too and we never get any hints as to who is in who is out.

As you can tell I'm on one tonight - I am furious about the "loss" of Loft and yet another game where we have a lone striker.

It seems like 5 at the back, 2 midfield then Judge and Dobra behind Sears

Grim times indeed.

Can we win tonight.

Are we going to sign anyone

Does anyone want to join us

The truth is out there.

I am incandescent

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:49 - Jan 4 with 989 viewsgerry_us

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:30 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

Pinault no word perhaps he has returned to Fulham

I have to say that the information regarding possible team is pitiful. Never any word on injuries or players returning to the team.

The Gazette info is poor too and we never get any hints as to who is in who is out.

As you can tell I'm on one tonight - I am furious about the "loss" of Loft and yet another game where we have a lone striker.

It seems like 5 at the back, 2 midfield then Judge and Dobra behind Sears

Grim times indeed.

Can we win tonight.

Are we going to sign anyone

Does anyone want to join us

The truth is out there.

I am incandescent

Up the U's

Cool Peter. We're holding 'em so far.
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:54 - Jan 4 with 983 viewsgerry_us

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:49 - Jan 4 by gerry_us

Cool Peter. We're holding 'em so far.

Oh, not now. Sorry
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:55 - Jan 4 with 981 viewsthrillseeker

After 10 mins - 1-0 down and their goalkeeper has not touched ball yet

We look shot of confidence
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 20:08]
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:33 - Jan 4 with 933 viewsthrillseeker

Wow we've scored

I'm in a state of shock especially considering how poor we've been
Login to get fewer ads

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:34 - Jan 4 with 933 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:55 - Jan 4 by thrillseeker

1-1 at HT and a deserved equaliser from Tom Eastman.

After a horror start I think we have been the stronger team and the goal has been coming.

When Wiredu runs with the ball he looks so dangerous and I wish that he did that more often.

Dobra must toughen up. Skuse once again is having a decent game and Junior Tchamadeu has delivered some decent crosses.

Now let's win this thing.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:34 - Jan 4 with 933 viewsgerry_us

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 19:55 - Jan 4 by thrillseeker

1-1. Who but Sears!
Is anyone else in U's colours going to score this season?
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:42 - Jan 4 with 925 viewsburnsieespana

Stats show more shots on target, more passes and 62% possession.
Have no objection to 5 at the back if we get results
Bench looks rather lackibg in experience apart from Geeks!
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 20:56]
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:55 - Jan 4 with 906 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:42 - Jan 4 by burnsieespana

Stats show more shots on target, more passes and 62% possession.
Have no objection to 5 at the back if we get results
Bench looks rather lackibg in experience apart from Geeks!
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 20:56]

All the hard work undone with a simple goal following our inability to clear the ball

All to do again

Come on

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:57 - Jan 4 with 899 viewsburnsieespana

Be something if we score another away goal!
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:00 - Jan 4 with 895 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:57 - Jan 4 by burnsieespana

Be something if we score another away goal!

I can see you Noah giving the Ref Rockall

Good on you

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:12 - Jan 4 with 879 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:00 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

I can see you Noah giving the Ref Rockall

Good on you

Up the U's

116 of the faithful tonight

Judge desperately unlucky superb free kick

Come on

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:16 - Jan 4 with 877 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:12 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

116 of the faithful tonight

Judge desperately unlucky superb free kick

Come on

Bring on Samson Tovide to support Sears

Take Coxe off we have enough defenders on the field

We simply have to score again to give ourselves a chance of victory.

Come on

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:23 - Jan 4 with 865 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:16 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

Bring on Samson Tovide to support Sears

Take Coxe off we have enough defenders on the field

We simply have to score again to give ourselves a chance of victory.

Come on

Tovide could be coming on to give the U's more teeth up front must sacrifice some defenders - Tchamadeu off

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:25 - Jan 4 with 861 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:23 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

Tovide could be coming on to give the U's more teeth up front must sacrifice some defenders - Tchamadeu off

stop attempting to play out from the back it is a disastrous ploy

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:38 - Jan 4 with 824 viewsdurham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:25 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

stop attempting to play out from the back it is a disastrous ploy

And that is why we must sign a target man and quick

2-1 unlucky to lose but as someone once said we can concentrate on the league now!!!!!!

Durham_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:38 - Jan 4 with 823 viewsthrillseeker

Same old story - it is all too familiar
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 21:40 - Jan 4 with 821 viewswessex_exile

Disappointing, but a much better performance than Saturday, and definitely something we can take the positives from. For those who moan about Ipswich rejects, Skuse, Sears and Judge would be the first three names (in that order) on my team sheet.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 22:26 - Jan 4 with 789 viewsnoah4x4

On CUSA bus heading home and the mood is distinctly upbeat despite defeat. Much better performance and the U’s unlucky as regards first Sutton goal. We deserved more. Just not our night.
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 23:01 - Jan 4 with 769 viewswessex_exile

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 22:26 - Jan 4 by noah4x4

On CUSA bus heading home and the mood is distinctly upbeat despite defeat. Much better performance and the U’s unlucky as regards first Sutton goal. We deserved more. Just not our night.

Incidentally, like Durham, I spotted you getting involved - well played Noah, hope the burger was better than the cardboard version you were served at Creepy Crawley!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 11:42 - Jan 5 with 667 viewsWitham

Again, a good game but without a result. Unlucky first goal, but sometimes we just need to welly it away rather than play "good" football.
Having (hopefully) done the rounds of the National League Grounds (Barrow, Crawley and Sutton) we might start playing like a League 2 team.
Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 20:09 - Jan 5 with 579 viewsnoah4x4

Papa John's success for Super U's at Gander Green Lane just topping! on 23:01 - Jan 4 by wessex_exile

Incidentally, like Durham, I spotted you getting involved - well played Noah, hope the burger was better than the cardboard version you were served at Creepy Crawley!

Like so many former non-league clubs, Sutton have a decent away fan friendly social club and bar serving London Pride, Doombar and Tribute on tap. Arriving at 18:00, I enjoyed a number of pints prior to kick off and a superb bacon roll from 'Jennys Kitchen' that operates from inside the clubhouse.

To be fair to Crawley, their fans bar is half decent, but it was only serving London Pride in chilled bottles and no food. But as you witnessed Wessex, I think the burger from the pitch-side kiosk had been recycled from waste paper.

As to me "getting involved" at Gander Lane, whilst the referee had angered us all by booking Coxe and Wiredu when it was Sutton's Kizzi that was doing all the aggro, I was far more concerned at the thug of a steward at Sutton unjustly throwing his weight around. It is true that a young gobby Colchester supporter did dare venture into the cross hatched walkway which is designated no standing, but it didn't require violent physical measures to manage the situation. Frankly, he should pick on somebody his own size, but I am glad he heeded my warning (and didn't!).

The stats last night are interesting
Sutton Col United
16 Shots 20
3 on target 6
40% Possession 60%
333 Passes 500
66% Pass Accuracy 75%

Suggests it wasn't a bad effort. But when struggling, luck often deserts us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024