Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's not appealling Jabo's Red Card. 14:13 - Mar 7 with 644 viewsnoah4x4

Some may be wondering why not, given Joe Dunne and Jabo previously seemed so keen? But it's probably wise; them having read the regulations; given the risks of a longer ban

I think its unfortunate that it occured on the same night as the Nani incident which since has had such media focus. Jabo at least knew what he was attempting, and lunging in a slide always risks individual interpretation by referees and we know that decisions often go against us (when Nani had no awareness of the player behind him).

Graham Poll on the radio last night was interesting. He pointed out that the only offence where a referee must consider whether there was deliberate intent is handball. Hence, Nani was deemed reckless for a high boot despite no intent or awareness of the other player. Poll added that if Messi scores with the most magnificent bicycle kick but his boot skimmed an inch past the full backs nostrils, that too might justify a red card (but my guess it would be a brave referee, unless, of course at WHCS). He also pointed out that refereeing on the continent is even less liberal than in the English Leagues.

Whilst nobody wants to return to "Norman bites ya legs" days, nor to those where bundling goal keepers into the back of the net was fair game, it does seem to me that the game has lost some of its edge having become a no contact sport.

Instead, we are seeing quite brutal "shoulder to shoulder" charges that go unpunished, and all manner of professional fouls (shirt pulling, little nudges, etc), because players dare not risk attempting proper tackles at pace. Tackling has become as tame as that on a concrete playground where neither party wants a scraped knee.

Yes, Rugby has rightfully prohibited high (neck) tackles, and the 'Spear' tackle or tackling a man when he off the ground to avoid his undue and dangerous rotation. But at least there is clarity, and it's accepted that there will be bodily contact.

I think the soccer authorities should look again and sort out this nonsense that too often sees sides reduced to 10 men and ruins the spectacle for at least one group of fans. Studs first, two footed, over the ball or similar, then fair enough = red. But when a player does as Jabo did, simply with laces first and a stretching toe poke aimed at the centre of the ball; then surely the criteria should be did he make contact with the ball and/or player? If executed perfectly with no player contact, that should (IMHO) not even be yellow.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
U's not appealling Jabo's Red Card. on 14:30 - Mar 7 with 633 viewsnoah4x4

The question now is, given Freddie Sears might not be fit for Crewe what next?

We don't want the same nightmare we had when Eastmond and Watt got injured.

Loan market striker. This is a most interesting web page listing all players with contracts expiring in 2013, also players out of contract etc.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_GB1.html

So who do we fancy?
U's not appealling Jabo's Red Card. on 15:36 - Mar 7 with 626 viewsburnsieespana

Pretty certain Sears wont be fit so let us hope Clinton Morrison can step up to the plate!
U's not appealling Jabo's Red Card. on 21:17 - Mar 7 with 605 viewsdurham_exile

Whilst I fully understand JD's reasoning, I am disappointed because the decision by Mr Eltringham was very harsh and John Hughes (Hartlepool manager) fully supported the Colchester line re Jabo's sending off, therefore the appeal would not have been considered frivolous.

Consider the following: since Christmas 5 players have successfully contested red cards, Vincent Company City, Darron Gibson Everton, Carlton Cole West Ham, Anthony Gerrard Huddersfield and Adam Smith Millwall.

The last player to appeal and have the appeal rejected was Paul Rachubka from Accrington Stanley.

In view of the fact that JD has brought in cover from QPR in the form of Troy Hewitt we should have appealed.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's not appealling Jabo's Red Card. on 22:25 - Mar 7 with 597 viewsGate16

U's not appealling Jabo's Red Card. on 21:17 - Mar 7 by durham_exile

Whilst I fully understand JD's reasoning, I am disappointed because the decision by Mr Eltringham was very harsh and John Hughes (Hartlepool manager) fully supported the Colchester line re Jabo's sending off, therefore the appeal would not have been considered frivolous.

Consider the following: since Christmas 5 players have successfully contested red cards, Vincent Company City, Darron Gibson Everton, Carlton Cole West Ham, Anthony Gerrard Huddersfield and Adam Smith Millwall.

The last player to appeal and have the appeal rejected was Paul Rachubka from Accrington Stanley.

In view of the fact that JD has brought in cover from QPR in the form of Troy Hewitt we should have appealed.

Up the U's

I'm not so sure Durham.... it doesn't look a good tackle on the clip I saw and the ban could have been extended if the appeal was judged "frivolous"
U's not appealling Jabo's Red Card. on 09:52 - Mar 8 with 587 viewsburnsieespana

Shame really as our most promising goal scoring duo for a couple of seasons or so now broken up at a very critical time.
We have to hope Morrison can "step up to the plate" along with Hewlett and get us a few goals over the next 3 games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024