Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS 23:50 - Feb 15 with 1016 viewsdurham_exile

What is this, the Super U’s to receive a tonking at the hands of the Spireites!

Well why not because we've lost to some abysmal teams already and made indifferent ones look good on too many occasions.

Losing twice to Scummend marks a particularly bad state of affairs in what is a simply shocking season.

We’re shite and we’re sick of it was sung at Burton and that seems a long time ago now, many thrashings later and we are rock bottom and staring down the barrel.

Wouldn't it be great if the faithful are able to sing — “how shite must you be; we’re winning at home” on Tuesday!

After Saturday’s exceptionally disappointing scoreline and result, I was encouraged by Carruthers to consider an alternative approach to my pre match write ups. He suggested that my optimism is actually having an adverse effect on the team and contributing towards the 117 days without a league victory.

Such an opportunity for some reverse psychology may well prove useful and so with some trepidation I embark upon a negative view of the U’s as they attempt to stem the tide.

Colchester’s record once incredibly this season stood at:
Played 15 Won 5 Drawn 5 and Lost 5

Now it is Played 30 Won 5 Drawn 7 and Lost 18
The Goal Difference is -35 and we have 22 points.

The inescapable fact is that two drawn games and 13 defeats is certain relegation form.

16 cup finals stand between the U’s and the ignominy of relegation to the basement league for the first time since the 1997/98 season. This would be a black day for the U’s in a season where we have conceded 4 or more goals on eight occasions.

All season I have suggested that the squad assembled by JD, TH and KK is one of the strongest for years, so why the under performing players.

Moncur, Massey, Garvan, Elokobi, Porter, Eastman, Wynter, Gilbey, Sordell and Ambrose would surely start in most league one teams so are they a team of individuals or are they simply not trying to win football matches.

Tuesday night is very much the last chance saloon, another defeat and tickets can be booked for Accrington Stanley with a massive 15 games left of the season. Frankly this is unacceptable and entirely without justification.

It is time for the talking to stop and the players to step up to the plate to justify the faith shown in them by KK and others.

This is a wretched season; definitely the worst of the last four which has seen us struggle to survive and ultimately will see relegation to the basement of league football.

So Tuesday sees yet another 6 pointer against fellow strugglers who have only lost 4 on the trot. The Spireites led by Danny Wilson have slipped into the bottom four following a narrow defeat to Burton Albion. They have two key strikers who will receive late fitness tests on Tuesday (Ebanks-Blake and Novak) I won’t be too upset if they fail to make it.

KK will look to achieve an elusive win in what is the final chance before the last rites are confirmed on this disgraceful season.

So what about the starting line up; 4,4,2 and there is nothing to lose, so what about going all-out attack from the outset.

Parish

Brindley Kent Eastman Briggs

Garvan Edwards Moncur Massey

Lee Bonne

Subs:
Barnes Elokobi Lapslie Vincent-Young Wright Porter Shorey

The ticketing against Spurs will ensure a larger crowd that hitherto and it is up to the players to ensure that this wretched run is ended in order to avoid falling even further into the black hole.

Do not go quietly into that dark night of relegation must be the battle cry on Tuesday.

Try to enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

PS Try and convert some of the many chances that are created but go begging!

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 00:23 - Feb 16 with 1007 viewsLeadbelly

Reality bites!!

I agree the squad is, in theory, one of the best we have had for a while but I just don't see the sort of leadership on the pitch that we need. No bite, no fight. Where is the player who gives everyone else a boIIocking when needed?

We have also had three untested managers in a row. Is it the case that Dunne, Humes and Keen are not management material? Is it the case that a relatively young and inexperienced squad needs an experienced manager to succeed? Has FFP made it untenable for the club to maintain League 1 status in the long term? Has the chairman made mistakes that now look certain to result in relegation? Is it a combination of these and other factors?

I've thought we were heading for relegation since October and don't see any way out now. March looks brutal with 5 of 6 games against top half sides. Even more worrying, after tomorrow one third of our games are against the sides currently in the top 5 places.

Survival now depends on the most unlikely string of results you could possibly imagine.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 17:20 - Feb 16 with 934 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 00:23 - Feb 16 by Leadbelly

Reality bites!!

I agree the squad is, in theory, one of the best we have had for a while but I just don't see the sort of leadership on the pitch that we need. No bite, no fight. Where is the player who gives everyone else a boIIocking when needed?

We have also had three untested managers in a row. Is it the case that Dunne, Humes and Keen are not management material? Is it the case that a relatively young and inexperienced squad needs an experienced manager to succeed? Has FFP made it untenable for the club to maintain League 1 status in the long term? Has the chairman made mistakes that now look certain to result in relegation? Is it a combination of these and other factors?

I've thought we were heading for relegation since October and don't see any way out now. March looks brutal with 5 of 6 games against top half sides. Even more worrying, after tomorrow one third of our games are against the sides currently in the top 5 places.

Survival now depends on the most unlikely string of results you could possibly imagine.

Of the points you've made two of them stand out to me.

We've badly missed a leader of any description on the pitch. I think if we'd signed an experienced centre back who was going to lead the team and play every game then we'd be in a different position right now.

I think the club should've employed an experienced manager after Dunne. There's plenty of them available. Over the past four seasons the thing that seems to have really hurt us has been long runs of defeats. I don't think this would've happened with an experienced manager. When you lose one you need to not lose the next even if it means grinding out a 0-0. Under John Ward we played some pretty dull and uninspiring football but the side didn't get beat very often and they knew how to tough out a result to halt a run of defeats. Momentum, in either direction, is important in all sports.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 19:40 - Feb 16 with 915 viewsdurham_exile

Good attacking line up with 3 strikers

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:09 - Feb 16 with 907 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 19:40 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Good attacking line up with 3 strikers

Up the U's

Spireites down to 10 men after 18 mins

Never a better chance for three points!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:34 - Feb 16 with 898 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:09 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Spireites down to 10 men after 18 mins

Never a better chance for three points!

Up the U's

Colchester 6 shots 2 on target

We need to turn the dominance into goals

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:41 - Feb 16 with 893 viewsgerry_us

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:34 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Colchester 6 shots 2 on target

We need to turn the dominance into goals

If we can't beat a team with four defeats on the trot and now down to ten men, then the fat lady is about to sing!
U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:57 - Feb 16 with 882 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:41 - Feb 16 by gerry_us

If we can't beat a team with four defeats on the trot and now down to ten men, then the fat lady is about to sing!

Agreed Gerry

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:07 - Feb 16 with 877 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 20:57 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Agreed Gerry

Up the U's

Both "injured" Spireite strikers have made second half appearances. We simply have to win this match.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:11 - Feb 16 with 873 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:07 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Both "injured" Spireite strikers have made second half appearances. We simply have to win this match.

Up the U's

George Moncur and Drey Wrighthavejoined the party

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:18 - Feb 16 with 868 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:11 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

George Moncur and Drey Wrighthavejoined the party

Up the U's

GET IN

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:18 - Feb 16 with 868 viewsBarsidepete

Well done Bonne! Great cross from Drey...

That was short-lived. :(
[Post edited 16 Feb 2016 21:19]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:21 - Feb 16 with 859 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:18 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

GET IN

Up the U's

I don't believe it but it isn't over until it's over

Comeon

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:43 - Feb 16 with 843 viewsdurham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:21 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Comeon

1-1

Bring on the Shakers

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:45 - Feb 16 with 840 viewsgerry_us

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:21 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Comeon

Blown it. Accrington here we come.
U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:53 - Feb 16 with 831 viewsBarsidepete

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:45 - Feb 16 by gerry_us

Blown it. Accrington here we come.

@Bury, and home v Shrews, they're imminently winnable.

Keeping the faith

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 22:01 - Feb 16 with 819 viewsgerry_us

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 21:53 - Feb 16 by Barsidepete

@Bury, and home v Shrews, they're imminently winnable.

Keeping the faith

......so was Chesterfield...but we didn't.
U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 22:06 - Feb 16 with 816 viewsthrillseeker

That was painful to watch.

100% relegation certainties
U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 23:07 - Feb 16 with 783 viewsLeadbelly

Chesterfield produced an object lesson in how to play with ten men. The Us showed how not to play against ten men.

Why did it take Keen so long to figure out that pace and width might trouble Chesterfield? Everything was so pedestrian and predictable until Wright and Moncur came on.

Opportunity for three points missed. We won't get many better this season. And please, nobody say how hard it is to play against ten men.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 14:39 - Feb 17 with 686 viewsburnsieespana

U's to be well and truly tonked by Wilson's Spireites at WHCS on 17:20 - Feb 16 by RSCOSWORTH

Of the points you've made two of them stand out to me.

We've badly missed a leader of any description on the pitch. I think if we'd signed an experienced centre back who was going to lead the team and play every game then we'd be in a different position right now.

I think the club should've employed an experienced manager after Dunne. There's plenty of them available. Over the past four seasons the thing that seems to have really hurt us has been long runs of defeats. I don't think this would've happened with an experienced manager. When you lose one you need to not lose the next even if it means grinding out a 0-0. Under John Ward we played some pretty dull and uninspiring football but the side didn't get beat very often and they knew how to tough out a result to halt a run of defeats. Momentum, in either direction, is important in all sports.

and look how the crowd hated John Ward (and Boothroyd for that matter) because he was boring, looking to start with a draw! At least they got results and didn't have these terrible loosing runs that we have had ever since.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024