Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex 11:17 - Nov 20 with 1143 viewsdurham_exile

There is a renewed sense of optimism surrounding Colchester United at present. Recent results have been much better, but in my view it is the performances that have improved which have led to better results.

Scunny were defeated at the JSCS in a very impressive first half which faded after the break, but we saw the job through. Whilst the opposition at Sudbury were modest it was a potential banana skin game and one which the U’s approached professionally and with considerable aplomb from the outset.

At the old enemy we deserved to have won the game and had it not been for some poor luck with the penalties (including those who failed to take a penalty and should have done so) we would have prevailed. As it was West Ham managed to play an ineligible player and it cost them further progression.

We also now can look forward to a string of entertaining and season defining games. On Tuesday our bete noire Exeter City come to the JSCS and then Friday night football at home to the Exiles from Newport. Then the County Ground and Swindon await in the PJT before Wigan Athletic in the FAC 2nd Round at Fortress JSCS.

Both the PJT and FA Cup games are (at this stage) ones which we do not normally reach and so we must make the best of them.

Before all this excitement we are at the Lamex and a healthy contingent of the faithful will be making the short trip to Hertfordshire. After the departure of Alex Revell, Stevenage Borough have a caretaker manager in Robbie O’Keefe. Now we should not take them too lightly. They defeated the MK Dons in an FA Cup replay this week over 120 minutes with a last second Luke Norris penalty and will be keen to continue their home form.

Colchester by contrast have not played for 10 days although some first teamer turned out for the U23’s and of course the International trio have played for their respective countries. Now I note that since he was away on overseas duty Jasper is now Syl Jasper (and he was asked whether he had met Dimitar Berbatov the Bulgarian legend). I wonder whether other Colchester players will adopt a more international approach with a similar name change or name shortening. Do you think Frederico Seras sounds Portuguese and will it improve his style of play? Absolutely not, but it sounds good!

The league table still makes for alarming viewing:

19th Colchester 15 17
20th Crawley 15 17
21st Stevenage 16 14

HM takes his charges the short distance to a ground where we have had some ok results (I went a couple of years ago to witness a 0-0 draw not the most inspiring game but a great contingent of the faithful were present).

Now I think the team today should be as follows.

George

MWH Chambers Eastman Daniels

Skuse Wiredu Chilvers

Jasper Sears Dobra

Subs:

Turner Kenedy Smith Tchamadeu Hannant McCoulsky Nouble

A good mix of youth and experience and we should be looking for three more precious points in a 2-0 away win.

Weather in Stevenage will be 10 degrees Celsius, cloudy and no rain. The forecast is for colder weather to sweep in from Sunday, so Winter draws on!

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 12:06]

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 13:44 - Nov 20 with 1095 viewswessex_exile

Good write-up Durham, thanks!

I noticed the commentators, Neil Kelly particularly, referring to Jasper as "Syl Jasper" on a few occasions, guess that' what he prefers?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:26 - Nov 20 with 1079 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 13:44 - Nov 20 by wessex_exile

Good write-up Durham, thanks!

I noticed the commentators, Neil Kelly particularly, referring to Jasper as "Syl Jasper" on a few occasions, guess that' what he prefers?

Wessex I see Brendan Wiredu is not in the matchday squad.

If not injured then that is worrying.

Still the team is a positive one.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:33 - Nov 20 with 1074 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:26 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Wessex I see Brendan Wiredu is not in the matchday squad.

If not injured then that is worrying.

Still the team is a positive one.

Up the U's

You'd think he must be - too early to be putting him under wraps if someone is planning on making an offer in January?

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:43 - Nov 20 with 1070 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:33 - Nov 20 by wessex_exile

You'd think he must be - too early to be putting him under wraps if someone is planning on making an offer in January?

That's what I am worried about.

He is the sort of midfield talent that we must hold onto if we are to try to get out of this wretched league upwards of course!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:54 - Nov 20 with 1067 viewswessex_exile

I see Chuck starts on the bench today, suits me!

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 15:54 - Nov 20 with 1050 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:54 - Nov 20 by wessex_exile

I see Chuck starts on the bench today, suits me!

Wessex he is now officially super sub

We have had the most shots and on target efforts but a late goal 45+3 gives Stevenage 1-0 lead.

Lots to do second half

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:35 - Nov 20 with 1012 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 15:54 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Wessex he is now officially super sub

We have had the most shots and on target efforts but a late goal 45+3 gives Stevenage 1-0 lead.

Lots to do second half

Up the U's

Turner on for George who was injured.

Chuck also making an appearance.

Come on we need the equaliser.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:38 - Nov 20 with 1006 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:35 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Turner on for George who was injured.

Chuck also making an appearance.

Come on we need the equaliser.

Up the U's

Time for McCoulsky

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:44 - Nov 20 with 1003 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:38 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Time for McCoulsky

Up the U's

He's on at last for Big Frank

Smith on for Eastman

Come on we need an equaliser

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:49 - Nov 20 with 998 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:44 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

He's on at last for Big Frank

Smith on for Eastman

Come on we need an equaliser

Up the U's

Come on we can do this

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:59 - Nov 20 with 992 viewswessex_exile

And that's that - so disappointing after all the positivity of the last few weeks. We may have been the better side in the first half at least, but it counts for nothing if you don't put the ball in the net. Question whether Shamal's foul was inside the box or not, but if it was outside it would have been a straight red, albeit we might have gone in at half-time 0-0.

Fortunately, two easy home games coming up against Exeter and Newport...oh dear :-(

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:00 - Nov 20 with 990 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 16:49 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Come on we can do this

Very disappointing to lose today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:01 - Nov 20 with 987 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:00 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Very disappointing to lose today.

Up the U's

Colchester NIL again
12 goals in 17 games.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 17:07]
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:03 - Nov 20 with 986 viewsburnsieespana

So that is all the positivality if the last 3 weeks snuffed out in 90 minutes.
With two tough home games coming up we are in for a real hard fight to stay above the dreaded line!
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:19 - Nov 20 with 968 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:03 - Nov 20 by burnsieespana

So that is all the positivality if the last 3 weeks snuffed out in 90 minutes.
With two tough home games coming up we are in for a real hard fight to stay above the dreaded line!

It was inside box. Definite penalty, but George had no option but to go for the ball, but the forward too clever, nudged it past him and fell over keepers body. I thought Kettle had a decent game.

Despite this, a game we should have won. I don’t think Nouble was offside when he put the ball in the net. Stevenage didn’t look like scoring. We were excellent except in the final third. I say drop Sears who barely had a kick, and push Jasper forward , Drop Nouble, Replace with anybody that wants the shirt.
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:24 - Nov 20 with 963 viewsburnsieespana

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 14:43 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

That's what I am worried about.

He is the sort of midfield talent that we must hold onto if we are to try to get out of this wretched league upwards of course!

Up the U's

Another knee injury.
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:26 - Nov 20 with 960 viewsburnsieespana

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 17:19 - Nov 20 by noah4x4

It was inside box. Definite penalty, but George had no option but to go for the ball, but the forward too clever, nudged it past him and fell over keepers body. I thought Kettle had a decent game.

Despite this, a game we should have won. I don’t think Nouble was offside when he put the ball in the net. Stevenage didn’t look like scoring. We were excellent except in the final third. I say drop Sears who barely had a kick, and push Jasper forward , Drop Nouble, Replace with anybody that wants the shirt.

Shame for Frank as might have kick started his season.
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 20:57 - Nov 20 with 842 viewsgerry_us

The silence is deafening after today. First win for Stevenage in seven games; it just had to be us!
Has anyone got words of encouragement because I can't think of any?
Where are we going?
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 23:26 - Nov 20 with 808 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 20:57 - Nov 20 by gerry_us

The silence is deafening after today. First win for Stevenage in seven games; it just had to be us!
Has anyone got words of encouragement because I can't think of any?
Where are we going?

Gerry I feel your pain.

Football is not a difficult game. Our problem is that for seasons now we have not had a striker who can score goals, hence our current predicament.

We bossed possession today, had more shots on target and off target, had more corners but had no-one to put the ball in the onion bag.

In Syl Jasper we have someone who needs to play as an out and out striker but instead we insist on playing him in midfield.

Big Frank is finished as a striker and should be dropped.

The Michael Folivi situation is clearly not going to happen anytime soon if at all.

We are putting money into the war chest ready for a January swoop, the problem is that any more shocking results like today and we can forget about attracting the right person because they will not play for a struggling team.

Last season I bored everyone rigid talking about Scott Quigley who was the perfect striker for us. An old fashioned centre forward who knows where the goal is and is guaranteed to score 15-20 goals per season.

Big spending Stockport County signed him from Barrow and he showed on TV this week what he can do in front of goal.

I do not know who the club has in mind but we cannot attract the right type of striker because of our parlous record over the past 6 years. Decline and fall has been the order of the day.

We have sold all the quality players, squandered the cup run money and the management have pissed off the faithful so that we are struggling to attract crowds of 2,750 at present.

It is simply not good enough.

The poor result today has deflated everyone and set back our excellent recent run of results. The optimism has taken a huge hit today at lacklustre Stevenage.

At the very least we should have converted one chance, Big Frank scored an "offside" goal but with three decent efforts on target one should have gone in.

Exeter City come to town on Tuesday and then Newport County.

So this is what HM needs to do.

Drop Big Frank altogether.

Play McClousky, Dobra and Jasper as a front three with three in midfield and four at the back. Sadly without Brendan Wiredu we are weakened substantially, but HM can still play Skuse, Chilvers and either Kenedy or Cooper ahead of MWH, Eastman, Chambers and Daniels. Turner will probably be in goal depending on the severity of the injury to George.

HM must be bold and brave otherwise we will not pick up any points against the Grecians or the Exiles.

Regarding the striker I don't have any names because all my favourites were snapped up by our rivals or National League big spenders. Jamille Matt, Paul Mullin and Scott Quigley would all have been tremendous for us but those ships have sailed. Even Erico Sousa on loan from Villa at Grimsby would have been superb.

We go again on Tuesday night and it is our bogey team Exeter but without Ryan Bowman thank goodness who visit.

HM must motivate the team to perform some heroics. 6 points would be magnificent. Can I see it happening, probably not but we must try for them.

Very depressing tonight, the players know they must improve from this poor result.

Seven defeats in the league so far from 16 games is poor to say the least

but consider some of the teams

Northampton Home 0-1, Crawley H 0-1, Salford H 0-2, Tranmere Away 0-2, PV Away 0-3, Sutton Home 1-3, and today Stevenage Away 0-1

Apart from PV and Tranmere Away we should have picked up points against some of those shocking teams.

The missing link is a striker, end of story. But can we wait until January when the die may well be cast on another lackluster season and the writing will be on the wall.

Oh well it could be worse, we could be Manchester United!

Up the U's

Come on let us be brave, bold and adventurous to get those points in the next two home games.

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 23:33 - Nov 20 with 807 viewsdurham_exile

Have just watched the so called penalty which was clearly outside the box.
However the ref Mr Kettle did us a favour because otherwise George would have been sent off for handling outside the box.

But that looked to be the only effort they had on goal.

Moan over.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 01:07 - Nov 21 with 801 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 23:33 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Have just watched the so called penalty which was clearly outside the box.
However the ref Mr Kettle did us a favour because otherwise George would have been sent off for handling outside the box.

But that looked to be the only effort they had on goal.

Moan over.

Up the U's

It is true that George ends up sliding outside the box and breaks his ribs, but from inside the ground twenty yards away it looked as if the foul/contact is committed by his hand when inside the box.

Does it help when fans are chanting "Kettle is an anchor" before the match has even started? We can't blame him for our inability to score. Sears and Nouble should be dropped, and Humes sacked.
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 11:49 - Nov 21 with 713 viewsburnsieespana

Durham, Kennedy also has a knee injury so that makes 3!
We have to soldier on and hope December not a complete disaster.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 11:50]
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 13:19 - Nov 21 with 681 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 11:49 - Nov 21 by burnsieespana

Durham, Kennedy also has a knee injury so that makes 3!
We have to soldier on and hope December not a complete disaster.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 11:50]

burnsie I didn't know that - grim news indeed.

Up the orthopaedically challenged U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 19:38 - Nov 21 with 610 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 13:19 - Nov 21 by durham_exile

burnsie I didn't know that - grim news indeed.

Up the orthopaedically challenged U's

Orthopaedic? More likely arthritic given so many Ipswich has-beens. Ipswich fans are now “told you so” gloating! They were released by the Tractor Boys for a good reason. Humes Out!
Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 13:09 - Nov 22 with 532 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to prevail at the Lamex on 01:07 - Nov 21 by noah4x4

It is true that George ends up sliding outside the box and breaks his ribs, but from inside the ground twenty yards away it looked as if the foul/contact is committed by his hand when inside the box.

Does it help when fans are chanting "Kettle is an anchor" before the match has even started? We can't blame him for our inability to score. Sears and Nouble should be dropped, and Humes sacked.

Having now watched the slo-mo replay on TV’s Quest, that might suggest George’s hand might have handled the ball outside the area before the attacker tumbled over him inside the area. I thought that particular arm also touched a leg inside the area, but I might be wrong. Didn’t see contact with ball.

Could suggest that the correct decision might have been a free kick on the edge of the area and a red card. But an impossible judgment call in real time for Kettle and Lino who can only give what they thought they saw given no VAR. Had we gone down to ten men, I doubt if outcome would have differed and we deserve little if we fail to score.

Need a miracle Tuesday, especially if Eastman is injured.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024