Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League One North and South 12:19 - Jun 10 with 862 viewsRSCOSWORTH

With apologies to Durham, Wessex and other exiles is it time to bring back North and South divisions? With ever increasing costs both financial and environmental would having more local games reduce travelling costs for both clubs and fans whilst increasing revenue and having a lesser impact on the environment? I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks being in a division that looks like this seems a lot more attractive?

South
AFC Wimbledon
Bristol Rovers
Cambridge United
Charlton Athletic
Cheltenham Town
Colchester United
Crawley Town
Exeter City
Forest Green Rovers
Gillingham
Ipswich Town
Leyton Orient
Milton Keynes Dons
Newport County
Northampton Town
Oxford United
Peterborough United
Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth
Stevenage
Sutton United
Swindon Town
Wycombe Wanderers

The Northern division would look like this:

North
Accrington Stanley
Barnsley
Barrow
Bolton Wanderers
Bradford City
Carlisle United
Crewe Alexandra
Derby County
Doncaster Rovers
Fleetwood Town
Grimsby Town
Harrogate Town
Hartlepool United
Lincoln City
Mansfield Town
Morecambe
Port Vale
Rochdale
Salford City
Sheffield Wednesday
Stockport County
Tranmere Rovers

The Southern division is currently one team short and the Northern division two teams short as I can't decide where these poor Midlanders should go!

Midlands
Burton Albion
Shrewsbury Town
Walsall

Geography is not my strong point, so if anyone has any better suggestions on the makeup of the divisions please feel free to put them forward.

The winners of each division would be promoted to the Championship with the next four teams in each division going into the North V South play offs. So 2nd in the Northern division plays 5th in the Southern division and 3rd in the Northern division plays 4th in the Southern division and so on. One legged quarter finals with the team finishing higher having home advantage, two legged semi finals and then the final at Wembley as normal. Bottom of each division would find themselves relegated to the National League.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

League One North and South on 15:19 - Jun 10 with 828 viewsburnsieespana

Can answer in one word No.
Became a bore when last in favour
League One North and South on 15:30 - Jun 10 with 824 viewsRSCOSWORTH

League One North and South on 15:19 - Jun 10 by burnsieespana

Can answer in one word No.
Became a bore when last in favour

Ha Ha! Cheers Burnsie. Was before my time when it was last in force but surely games against Ipswich, Wycombe, Cambridge and Orient are more attractive than trips to Carlisle, Barrow, Grimsby and Harrogate?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

League One North and South on 16:59 - Jun 10 with 807 viewsLeadbelly

League One North and South on 15:30 - Jun 10 by RSCOSWORTH

Ha Ha! Cheers Burnsie. Was before my time when it was last in force but surely games against Ipswich, Wycombe, Cambridge and Orient are more attractive than trips to Carlisle, Barrow, Grimsby and Harrogate?

I quite like the idea. Clubs would likely see a decrease in travel costs and almost certainly an increase in gate receipts.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

League One North and South on 19:36 - Jun 10 with 769 viewswessex_exile

League One North and South on 16:59 - Jun 10 by Leadbelly

I quite like the idea. Clubs would likely see a decrease in travel costs and almost certainly an increase in gate receipts.

Certainly makes a lot of sense financially for football clubs, supporters and the environment, I wouldn't necessarily be against it. Mind you, as it would feel like demotion for League 1 clubs and promotion for League 2 clubs, can't see everyone agreeing to it.

Btw, I'd put Walsall in the South, Burton and Shrewsbury in the North. It would be challenging for the midland clubs (small "m"), never fully knowing if they'll end up in the North or the South from one season to the next. I recall from my occasional visits to Gloucester City they are often in that predicament, currently in the National League North for the last four seasons, before that two seasons in the NLS, and before that 2 seasons in the NLN again.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

League One North and South on 09:23 - Jun 11 with 721 viewsdurham_exile

RS from a purely personal view I would be against any plan to restore North and South leagues.

If I again lived in Essex then I might feel differently of course.

This coming season offers me 14 Away fixtures to watch the U's which is great for me.

Some Non league teams experience tremendous hardship by having to travel great distances at present and I am sure would welcome any opportunity to reduce travelling expenses.

But no return to the old Division Three North and South for me thank you.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

League One North and South on 14:40 - Jun 11 with 695 viewsgerry_us

League One North and South on 09:23 - Jun 11 by durham_exile

RS from a purely personal view I would be against any plan to restore North and South leagues.

If I again lived in Essex then I might feel differently of course.

This coming season offers me 14 Away fixtures to watch the U's which is great for me.

Some Non league teams experience tremendous hardship by having to travel great distances at present and I am sure would welcome any opportunity to reduce travelling expenses.

But no return to the old Division Three North and South for me thank you.

Up the U's

Me neither.
Who wouldn't want a Tuesday evening in November at Grimsby/Cleethorpes?
League One North and South on 16:47 - Jun 11 with 682 viewsdurham_exile

League One North and South on 14:40 - Jun 11 by gerry_us

Me neither.
Who wouldn't want a Tuesday evening in November at Grimsby/Cleethorpes?

Definitely Gerry I'm lining up Papas on the Pier already.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024