Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gerry's first home fixture this season 15:58 - Dec 27 with 1365 viewsgerry_us

I'm planning to be at WHCS this Saturday v Swindon
Will I be the only one there or is anyone else attending and if so how can I meet with you?
Oh..and belated Happy Christmas to all contributors to this great site, especially to all Happy/Grumpy Leaguers......and NO BARSIDE, I will not be getting bladdered on Friday night and miss the game.
Gerry's first home fixture this season on 13:34 - Dec 28 with 1334 viewsdurham_exile

Gerry - Happy New Year

Hope you enjoy the game - our first double of the season!

Sadly can't be there but will be at the Hartlepool game! A real 6 pointer!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 21:04 - Dec 28 with 1321 viewsgerry_us

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 13:34 - Dec 28 by durham_exile

Gerry - Happy New Year

Hope you enjoy the game - our first double of the season!

Sadly can't be there but will be at the Hartlepool game! A real 6 pointer!

Up the U's

Boll**cks and I'm already here, luckily not just for the footy
Was really looking foward to watching DeCanio's histrionics, almost as good as watching Warnock.
Hey ho, another time another place; but Hartlepool!
Gerry's first home fixture this season on 21:11 - Dec 28 with 1319 viewsnoah4x4

AW Gerry...it's OFF. How unlucky can you be?

This is the plan for some of us faithful.....

1) Meet Victoria pub at noon.
(easily recognised, we will be first in as the doors open).
2) Decide shall we go to Braintree v Woking, or Daggers V Port Vale?
3) Down a significant number of pints before we finally decide.
4) Realise that we need a train - so head for rail station.
5) Worry about a last minute postponement - so head for Bricklayers Arms.
6) Return to Victoria pub to talk about football.

Last week's magical mystery tour schedule was similar (e.g. via pubs), except we had a detour via London and then the Watford V Notts Forest game - having much earlier made a guess that Walsall v Colchester was probably off (and a shame it wasn't).

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 14:26 - Dec 29 with 1309 viewsgerry_us

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 21:11 - Dec 28 by noah4x4

AW Gerry...it's OFF. How unlucky can you be?

This is the plan for some of us faithful.....

1) Meet Victoria pub at noon.
(easily recognised, we will be first in as the doors open).
2) Decide shall we go to Braintree v Woking, or Daggers V Port Vale?
3) Down a significant number of pints before we finally decide.
4) Realise that we need a train - so head for rail station.
5) Worry about a last minute postponement - so head for Bricklayers Arms.
6) Return to Victoria pub to talk about football.

Last week's magical mystery tour schedule was similar (e.g. via pubs), except we had a detour via London and then the Watford V Notts Forest game - having much earlier made a guess that Walsall v Colchester was probably off (and a shame it wasn't).

Sorry I missed you guys but living in Lincolnshire and it being "rather" wet decided to return home early. Hope you have an enjoyable day and find a match that's on. Thinking about it you will probably have a better day if you don't find a match!

You mentioned the Victoria Inn, is that the one in North Station Road just over the bridge at the bottom of North Hill. If so I stayed there many times in the early 60's as a Gilberd school colleague, Peter Smith's father was the landlord. Spent many hours playing bar billiards during "closed" hours. Probably before your time though?
Gerry's first home fixture this season on 18:53 - Dec 29 with 1300 viewsBarsidepete

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 14:26 - Dec 29 by gerry_us

Sorry I missed you guys but living in Lincolnshire and it being "rather" wet decided to return home early. Hope you have an enjoyable day and find a match that's on. Thinking about it you will probably have a better day if you don't find a match!

You mentioned the Victoria Inn, is that the one in North Station Road just over the bridge at the bottom of North Hill. If so I stayed there many times in the early 60's as a Gilberd school colleague, Peter Smith's father was the landlord. Spent many hours playing bar billiards during "closed" hours. Probably before your time though?

If you'd decided to get bladdered the end-result would have been the same

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 19:23 - Dec 30 with 1276 viewswessex_exile

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 14:26 - Dec 29 by gerry_us

Isn't that typical Gerry, the one home game that you're banking on gets 'rained off' 24hrs even before a ball could be kicked in anger - when you think we played on in the shallow end against Nodge (and paid the price) that must be galling

Still, the main point of the post was to observe that unless I've overlooked the connection elsewhere, I had no idea you were an Old Gilberdian, though my era was mid to late 70s, so some time after you old man . Still, I bet we shared a few teachers, Mr Delves and Mrs West for certain, maybe even Conrad Cole and ex-Colditz Mr Powell-Davies?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 22:36 - Dec 30 with 1264 viewsgerry_us

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 19:23 - Dec 30 by wessex_exile

Isn't that typical Gerry, the one home game that you're banking on gets 'rained off' 24hrs even before a ball could be kicked in anger - when you think we played on in the shallow end against Nodge (and paid the price) that must be galling

Still, the main point of the post was to observe that unless I've overlooked the connection elsewhere, I had no idea you were an Old Gilberdian, though my era was mid to late 70s, so some time after you old man . Still, I bet we shared a few teachers, Mr Delves and Mrs West for certain, maybe even Conrad Cole and ex-Colditz Mr Powell-Davies?

Yes Wessex, I was a Gilberdian from '57 through to '62...and proud of it.
Can't say I remember any of those listed "apart" from the redoubtable Conrad Cole. Luckily I had little to do with him after the first year of music lessons as I was tone deaf, despite the occasional ruler across the knuckles. I was also left handed so it also ruled out Violin lessons with Fanny Nossen. Turned to metalwork instead!
My wife however was also a Gilberdian at the same time and a member of Conrads famous choir so would not have a word said against him.
Next time we meet at a U's game we will have a bit more to talk about. I'm planning to go to Donny next week, any chance you will be there? And what about you Durham, are you planning a trip to Donny for the U's Exiles New Year group hug?
Gerry's first home fixture this season on 21:13 - Dec 31 with 1251 viewswessex_exile

Gerry's first home fixture this season on 22:36 - Dec 30 by gerry_us

Yes Wessex, I was a Gilberdian from '57 through to '62...and proud of it.
Can't say I remember any of those listed "apart" from the redoubtable Conrad Cole. Luckily I had little to do with him after the first year of music lessons as I was tone deaf, despite the occasional ruler across the knuckles. I was also left handed so it also ruled out Violin lessons with Fanny Nossen. Turned to metalwork instead!
My wife however was also a Gilberdian at the same time and a member of Conrads famous choir so would not have a word said against him.
Next time we meet at a U's game we will have a bit more to talk about. I'm planning to go to Donny next week, any chance you will be there? And what about you Durham, are you planning a trip to Donny for the U's Exiles New Year group hug?

Haha - redoubtable is definitely the right way to describe Conrad Cole, and that comes from someone who was favoured as one who made the inner sanctum of his bass choir - a proper old skool teacher, who'd probably be hounded out for brutality these days . I'm surprised Mrs West wasn't about then, she looked old enough to have arrived with the Romans when I was at the Gilberd - she had a very positive view to punishment, not the 100 lines of "I must not...", she'd make us right out 100 lines of Shakespeare (which I had to do on many occasions).

edit: ooops - not sure about Donny yet, I too was over in Colchester visiting family for the abandoned Swindon game, and January will be a bit of a lean month, but I'll look at options and let you know - the Keepmoat is another one for me to tick off the list, so wouldn't mind making it. Pompey in February, however, is a nailed-on certainty...
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024