Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BHS vs Here 14:04 - Jan 2 with 2164 viewsHannibal

I have joined Back Henry Street. I have had no problems there. The website itself is great. The traffic on there is low however. Lower than here I think and that’s saying something.

Now, my point...

ROTTWEILERS doesn’t want to go there just as I would never want to go to AVFTT. I think that’s a given on here. I like it here I think it’s got potential.

However, if we all jumped ship and went there would it be better? Or should we all stay here and encourage others from BHS to come here?

Vital Blackpool consists of 3 Uber fans and a couple of expats as far as I can see so that’s by the by.

I agree with seasider’s comments in respect of him promoting the site there. It’s slicker than here. I don’t know about it being a similar place to AVFTT but it is a bit more robust on there.

Then again HERE hasn’t really developed yet.

So what do you think?

Poll: Which Tory is your choice for leader?

BHS vs Here on 14:25 - Jan 2 with 1653 viewstodayistheday

I prefer the simple avftt style but wont go back. Considering its run/owned by a Blackpool fan,its not that well supported,a bit like tangerineplanet or is it a BST hotbed. Many years ago I registered but never used. Will re register and have a look.
BHS vs Here on 14:28 - Jan 2 with 1653 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Was going to post this in reply to seasider81, however I'll post it here.

Don't think the number of sites are the problem, it's the number of people that post on them. I'd guess they all get a lot more hits, then registered users, so the question they should ask is why these people don't post, not trying to "fish" in a pond that's getting smaller imho. Also it still surprises me how many people still don't know about AVFTT & BHS etc.....

I like and read AVFTT, however it's just a bit to insane for me. As for BHS, again I like and read it, however a bit like AVFTT, you've got the odd poster who's default position to anything they disagree with is destructed, rather than constructed criticism. You can only read the reply "F Off" so many times before it gets boring.

(Tin hat on)

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

BHS vs Here on 14:28 - Jan 2 with 1651 viewsspell_chekker

I thought BHS had a decentish hardcore of followers.

I understand all the points that BHS should be the major BFC site but I'm enjoying posting on here. It's like a fresh start on here and a way of rebooting my posting mentality rather than adapting to an existing one.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a bit more traffic on here but really, I'm not at all bothered about being part of a big / main site. It's quite nice with just a few people.

We must've been posting on here for about a month now and I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has. What we've got on this site is a good atmosphere and I well imagine one or two other contributors coming on board if it continues in the same vein.

I might go on BHS if this site dries up, but doubt very much that I'd go back to AVFTT.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

BHS vs Here (n/t) on 14:30 - Jan 2 with 1649 viewsjanegallagher

BHS vs Here on 14:28 - Jan 2 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Don't think the number of sites are the problem, it's the number of people that post on them. I'd guess they all get a lot more hits, then registered users, so the question they should ask is why these people don't post, not trying to "fish" in a pond that's getting smaller imho. Also it still surprises me how many people still don't know about AVFTT & BHS etc.....

I like and read AVFTT, however it's just a bit to insane for me. As for BHS, again I like and read it, however a bit like AVFTT, you've got the odd poster who's default position to anything they disagree with is destructed, rather than constructed criticism. You can only read the reply "F Off" so many times before it gets boring.

(Tin hat on)

You can only read the reply F off until it gets boring

That made me laugh out loud - so much so I pressed reply without writing anything.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 14:33]

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BHS vs Here on 14:35 - Jan 2 with 1633 viewsseasider81

Again I am biased so please forgive me. My honest opinion:

Advantages for BHS:

- Dedicated BFC forum. Most clubs have dedicated forums these days and be part of a network is very old school and has limitations.
- Being dedicated leads to it's own advantages. Pool fans can have a say on what features they would like developing.
- Developer is a Professional and can fix/develop things very quickly.
- Uses all the latest web technology and security standard meaning your data is secure and new technology can be easily implemented without have to do a complete redesign with new code.
- Logins via email which helps prevents duplicate usernames.
- Transparency. Mods are highlighted in green.
- Mobile responsive design. Just on this point alone should be a pull factor.
- New features being developed as we speak which are listed in the other thread. By the time, the development has finished, it will be one of the best football forums on the internet in terms of functionality.
- Category filters. If you just want to see BFC content, you are only one click away from filtering out non-BFC stuff.
- Embedded tweets, youtube videos and can easily upload a pic from your phone. This will be great for when we all start going to the footy again. Look at our match day thread for the Rochdale and you can see the benefits.
- News section in the next couple of months. Instead of having to look for BFC news, all BFC news will be on our forum making it a potential one stop shop. The other forums could not do this as development isn't driven for Blackpool fans.
- We defeated the Oyston's in court - okay slight play on words but it shows that we protected our users right to the end. We could have easily given the details of the users but chose not to. If this doesn't prove how much we protect our users, then nothing will.
- Google Search. We were ranked number 1 in google but because we have built a new one from scratch, we are only at number 2 behind avftt. We will be number 1 again soon though and the advantage here is that it attracts away fans for their contribution. This was one of our strong points before the migration but we just need time for Google to do it's thing.
- We will be looking to work with likes of BST, BFC Bloggers, etc and develop a platform for them to use our forum.
- Active social media accounts with nearly 3k Twitter followers. This means threads can be reached to a much wider audience.

Negatives
- Sometimes the moderation can be lacking and this is something we are working hard to improve. We believe that the more users that post, the more it will self moderate and it will be easier to pick out the posts that need moderation. We are also waiting for the report post functionality to be finished and this will help users report any content they deem to be abusive. Rather than see this as a reason to not join, surely this should be a case of working together and finding a solution. Something that is easily fixed.
- Traffic. It's probably similar to here although far more people will read BHS than here. I am pretty certain of that. However, this is something easily fixed as it just needs people to register. We can provide the best football forum on the internet but we can't force people to register.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 14:42]
BHS vs Here (n/t) on 14:37 - Jan 2 with 1631 viewsjanegallagher

BHS vs Here (n/t) on 14:30 - Jan 2 by janegallagher

You can only read the reply F off until it gets boring

That made me laugh out loud - so much so I pressed reply without writing anything.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 14:33]

I’m staying here - quality over quantity

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BHS vs Here on 14:39 - Jan 2 with 1630 viewsseasider81

BHS vs Here on 14:28 - Jan 2 by BringBackTheRedRoom

(Tin hat on)

Bringbacktheredroom.

You are right and I cringe when I see 'f**k off' posts. The owners of BHS are with you on that score but I agree moderation needs be more forthcoming at times. I am basically slagging myself off there but hopefully it shows that we know where are problems are and we are open to listen.

I am hoping people have seen improvements since the relaunch as it's very important to us but I appreciate still needs improvement.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 15:44]
BHS vs Here on 15:15 - Jan 2 with 1603 viewsROTTWEILERS

BHS vs Here on 14:39 - Jan 2 by seasider81

Bringbacktheredroom.

You are right and I cringe when I see 'f**k off' posts. The owners of BHS are with you on that score but I agree moderation needs be more forthcoming at times. I am basically slagging myself off there but hopefully it shows that we know where are problems are and we are open to listen.

I am hoping people have seen improvements since the relaunch as it's very important to us but I appreciate still needs improvement.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 15:44]

My ban from AVFTT - which I wear as a badge of pride - was a work of art and should be exhibitioned in the Tate Modern, in my humble opinion 😜

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

Login to get fewer ads

BHS vs Here on 15:19 - Jan 2 with 1599 viewsspell_chekker

BHS vs Here on 15:15 - Jan 2 by ROTTWEILERS

My ban from AVFTT - which I wear as a badge of pride - was a work of art and should be exhibitioned in the Tate Modern, in my humble opinion 😜

Sounds like you've chalked up a few bans Rott.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

BHS vs Here on 15:20 - Jan 2 with 1596 viewsjanegallagher

BHS vs Here on 15:19 - Jan 2 by spell_chekker

So you were banned from avftt and bhs.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BHS vs Here on 15:23 - Jan 2 with 1594 viewsROTTWEILERS

BHS vs Here on 15:19 - Jan 2 by spell_chekker

Not really. 1x AVFTT ban (justified) - which I facilitated myself as I was bored of the racist morons and lack of moderation. 2x BHS (unjustified) - for highlighting hypocrisy

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

BHS vs Here on 15:25 - Jan 2 with 1590 viewsseasider81

BHS vs Here on 15:20 - Jan 2 by janegallagher

So you were banned from avftt and bhs.

Maybe not as innocent as he comes across....

Firmly tongue in cheek, don't get your knickers in a twist.

(For the record, you aren't banned on BHS)
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 15:26]
BHS vs Here on 15:31 - Jan 2 with 1582 viewsLala

BHS vs Here on 15:23 - Jan 2 by ROTTWEILERS

Not really. 1x AVFTT ban (justified) - which I facilitated myself as I was bored of the racist morons and lack of moderation. 2x BHS (unjustified) - for highlighting hypocrisy

I won't go anywhere where F off is considered a well thought out response and differing opinions are mocked, abused and invalidated.

I won't go anywhere where posters hunt in packs to abuse and belittle those that they don't understand.

That kind of posting environment makes my glands swell up and my self-esteem shrink. Not for me.

Staying here for now.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

BHS vs Here on 15:36 - Jan 2 with 1575 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BHS vs Here on 14:35 - Jan 2 by seasider81

Again I am biased so please forgive me. My honest opinion:

Advantages for BHS:

- Dedicated BFC forum. Most clubs have dedicated forums these days and be part of a network is very old school and has limitations.
- Being dedicated leads to it's own advantages. Pool fans can have a say on what features they would like developing.
- Developer is a Professional and can fix/develop things very quickly.
- Uses all the latest web technology and security standard meaning your data is secure and new technology can be easily implemented without have to do a complete redesign with new code.
- Logins via email which helps prevents duplicate usernames.
- Transparency. Mods are highlighted in green.
- Mobile responsive design. Just on this point alone should be a pull factor.
- New features being developed as we speak which are listed in the other thread. By the time, the development has finished, it will be one of the best football forums on the internet in terms of functionality.
- Category filters. If you just want to see BFC content, you are only one click away from filtering out non-BFC stuff.
- Embedded tweets, youtube videos and can easily upload a pic from your phone. This will be great for when we all start going to the footy again. Look at our match day thread for the Rochdale and you can see the benefits.
- News section in the next couple of months. Instead of having to look for BFC news, all BFC news will be on our forum making it a potential one stop shop. The other forums could not do this as development isn't driven for Blackpool fans.
- We defeated the Oyston's in court - okay slight play on words but it shows that we protected our users right to the end. We could have easily given the details of the users but chose not to. If this doesn't prove how much we protect our users, then nothing will.
- Google Search. We were ranked number 1 in google but because we have built a new one from scratch, we are only at number 2 behind avftt. We will be number 1 again soon though and the advantage here is that it attracts away fans for their contribution. This was one of our strong points before the migration but we just need time for Google to do it's thing.
- We will be looking to work with likes of BST, BFC Bloggers, etc and develop a platform for them to use our forum.
- Active social media accounts with nearly 3k Twitter followers. This means threads can be reached to a much wider audience.

Negatives
- Sometimes the moderation can be lacking and this is something we are working hard to improve. We believe that the more users that post, the more it will self moderate and it will be easier to pick out the posts that need moderation. We are also waiting for the report post functionality to be finished and this will help users report any content they deem to be abusive. Rather than see this as a reason to not join, surely this should be a case of working together and finding a solution. Something that is easily fixed.
- Traffic. It's probably similar to here although far more people will read BHS than here. I am pretty certain of that. However, this is something easily fixed as it just needs people to register. We can provide the best football forum on the internet but we can't force people to register.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 14:42]

Good post seasider81, you make some interesting points. I'll respond to some of them in a minute.

My default is that in terms of design and user features this is the best site available by some way. However, like BHS it does not generate enough traffic to make it a "must visit" site.

AVFTT is a lumbering old beast with features that either don't work or were invented in the Neolithic era. The lack of central support and maintenance by FoL is disgraceful and in ordinary circumstances they would suffer for it.

One of the reasons why they don't is that it IS a beast and many people like the quirkiness of it, as well as the weight and diversity of traffic. Also, the brand is very strong and was well established before the internet era. That means there are hundreds of posters creating a very eclectic mix of posts and opinions and I know people find it addictive.

Turning back to BHS and some of the points made by s81 :

- the new features will be interesting in their own right and it may make a difference.

- whilst you deserve much credit for standing your ground in respect of the Oystons, I think all the sites are quite protective of their own reputation with regard to data protection and impartiality and I'm not sure you can claim it as an individual virtue, much though I admire you for sticking with it.

- I think your major problem, as I have said before, is the tone and content of posting. I may be atypical, and this is only an opinion, but I find it hard to find any decent content unless you two are generating it, or Whitstable is around. Too much of it is witless, or profane, or offensive, or sometimes all three.

- I am positive this puts people off, and (as I've also said before) I think your laissez-faire, Committee style approach to moderation compounds the problem. Having half a dozen mods (or whatever the number is) might mean you have all day coverage. But it also encourages them all not to make unilateral calls when sometimes you want them to be decisive and principled

- when I was doing it on AVFTT I was effectively alone a lot of the time, but that does mean that consistency is less of an issue. The thing I found difficult (and this is true of all sites) is that it is difficult to get the right balance with people you know, because you find yourself pulled both ways. I wanted to cut people slack on the one hand, but set some minimum standards on the other. You can't possibly get it right all the time, and you can never please everyone either. One person's "good" moderation is very different from another's

- board content, and how it is policed, is especially important nowadays given how highly politicised the club has become. I think there have been a considerable number of people on both sides who have been trying to manipulate opinion for several years now - spotting them and dealing with them is much harder than dealing with the odd nutcase or axe grinder, which all the sites have

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

BHS vs Here on 15:39 - Jan 2 with 1571 viewsHannibal

BHS vs Here on 15:25 - Jan 2 by seasider81

Maybe not as innocent as he comes across....

Firmly tongue in cheek, don't get your knickers in a twist.

(For the record, you aren't banned on BHS)
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 15:26]

I started this thread seasider, because I genuinely want to see an alternative to AVFTT grow whether it’s here or it’s BHS. As I said before, I find the platform perfect on BHS, that’s not in question. What I would like to see though is more posting/more posters. Like here it’s pretty ‘tumbleweed’ at times and that’s a shame as both platforms are a far better place to be than AVFTT on every level. It’s the restaurant in the right place/wrong place scenario. The bad restaurant in the right place gets all the passing trade and does well. The good restaurant in the wrong place that has better food and service gets overlooked. That’s why AVFTT exists.

BHS vs Here on 15:41 - Jan 2 with 1567 viewsseasider81

BHS vs Here on 15:31 - Jan 2 by Lala

I won't go anywhere where F off is considered a well thought out response and differing opinions are mocked, abused and invalidated.

I won't go anywhere where posters hunt in packs to abuse and belittle those that they don't understand.

That kind of posting environment makes my glands swell up and my self-esteem shrink. Not for me.

Staying here for now.

For the record, we delete any post that simply says f**k off or have been doing so recently.

That's all well and good Lala but putting that into practice is very difficult. If someone said they attended games, whether it be on BHS or Fansonline, they are going to met with mushroom comments. It's sad but that is where we are as a football club.

You say hunt in packs? I could twist that and say that it might appear like that because the majority of Blackpool fans share the same view.

I wish we could all live in this perfect world you so crave for. Let's be honest, if more people joined this forum, the same comments will be said on here and it would just be like BHS and Fansonline.
BHS vs Here on 15:46 - Jan 2 with 1559 viewsLala

BHS vs Here on 15:39 - Jan 2 by Hannibal

I started this thread seasider, because I genuinely want to see an alternative to AVFTT grow whether it’s here or it’s BHS. As I said before, I find the platform perfect on BHS, that’s not in question. What I would like to see though is more posting/more posters. Like here it’s pretty ‘tumbleweed’ at times and that’s a shame as both platforms are a far better place to be than AVFTT on every level. It’s the restaurant in the right place/wrong place scenario. The bad restaurant in the right place gets all the passing trade and does well. The good restaurant in the wrong place that has better food and service gets overlooked. That’s why AVFTT exists.

I get your frustration H.

We have another new member here today, and I still think if we stick it out and just get one new user every week or so and be patient or proactive in the quiet times we'll be ok 👍

Seasider, Apologies I wasn't referring to BHS to be honest as I'm not too familiar with the site. I'm once bitten twice shy for now though and don't want to jeopardise the calm equilibrium we have on here right now by moving again.

I don't envisage this site spiralling downwards if the moderation is good, though I doubt it's even been needed yet.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 15:52]

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

BHS vs Here on 15:50 - Jan 2 with 1556 viewsseasider81

BHS vs Here on 15:39 - Jan 2 by Hannibal

Hannibal - I personally don't think this is much better than Fansonline if we are talking about using the latest web technology. The developer has acknowledged this though and I know they are making improvements.

The problem is the AVFTT brand has been going for years and it's the name more than anything else. In reality though, the name of the website is Fansonline Blackpool and they simply use the name AVFTT for articles and social media. The fact that only Middlesbrough (where the company is based) and Blackpool use the Fansonline network shows that it's only Blackpool fans who have this loyalty for some reason.

New functionality and change can put people off - why bother changing if they enjoy where they are already? This is why we are going to develop a compact theme so users can select this in their profile meaning they can see lots of threads on one page similar to how avftt is now. It's not something that we want to do as it's a bit old school but we know Blackpool fans want this.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 16:09]
BHS vs Here on 15:51 - Jan 2 with 1553 viewsjanegallagher

BHS vs Here on 15:41 - Jan 2 by seasider81

For the record, we delete any post that simply says f**k off or have been doing so recently.

That's all well and good Lala but putting that into practice is very difficult. If someone said they attended games, whether it be on BHS or Fansonline, they are going to met with mushroom comments. It's sad but that is where we are as a football club.

You say hunt in packs? I could twist that and say that it might appear like that because the majority of Blackpool fans share the same view.

I wish we could all live in this perfect world you so crave for. Let's be honest, if more people joined this forum, the same comments will be said on here and it would just be like BHS and Fansonline.

That is why I’m quite happy here. All views are accepted/tolerated with no abuse LaLa’s right they do hunt in packs. The school bully with his little gang backing him up.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BHS vs Here on 16:00 - Jan 2 with 1542 viewsseasider81

BHS vs Here on 15:50 - Jan 2 by seasider81

Hannibal - I personally don't think this is much better than Fansonline if we are talking about using the latest web technology. The developer has acknowledged this though and I know they are making improvements.

The problem is the AVFTT brand has been going for years and it's the name more than anything else. In reality though, the name of the website is Fansonline Blackpool and they simply use the name AVFTT for articles and social media. The fact that only Middlesbrough (where the company is based) and Blackpool use the Fansonline network shows that it's only Blackpool fans who have this loyalty for some reason.

New functionality and change can put people off - why bother changing if they enjoy where they are already? This is why we are going to develop a compact theme so users can select this in their profile meaning they can see lots of threads on one page similar to how avftt is now. It's not something that we want to do as it's a bit old school but we know Blackpool fans want this.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 16:09]

Thanks for the feedback Robbie.

I will pull you up on one thing - how the hell can the design of this place be your personal favourite? Have you tried using it on a mobile phone. It's from the same ages as AVFTT! That really is like saying Central Drive is prettier than Covent Garden. All about opinions though ;)

Agree about the court case, probably unnecessary to mention that as that has no bearing.

All your other points I agree with. I have even said the same thing about the avftt brand in my previous post which was typed before seeing your response.

The only challenge I have is that sometimes the content works against us but the only way to improve on this is to get more users? It's a catch 22 and unfortunately out of our hands. If enough people joined, good topical discussion would naturally occur and the 'bad' posts would look more out of place and therefore easier to moderate. Having said that, I appreciate we need to make the forum appealing to join in the first place and this is what we are working towards. You won't have seen a f**k off post for ages. Personal abuse is a top priority for us but like I say, it's not easy to moderate Blackpool fans under these circumstances. Whether we like it or not, there is a lot of anger towards those that attend. Life will be so much easier when we can discuss the football!
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 16:26]
BHS vs Here on 16:08 - Jan 2 with 1531 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BHS vs Here on 16:00 - Jan 2 by seasider81

Thanks for the feedback Robbie.

I will pull you up on one thing - how the hell can the design of this place be your personal favourite? Have you tried using it on a mobile phone. It's from the same ages as AVFTT! That really is like saying Central Drive is prettier than Covent Garden. All about opinions though ;)

Agree about the court case, probably unnecessary to mention that as that has no bearing.

All your other points I agree with. I have even said the same thing about the avftt brand in my previous post which was typed before seeing your response.

The only challenge I have is that sometimes the content works against us but the only way to improve on this is to get more users? It's a catch 22 and unfortunately out of our hands. If enough people joined, good topical discussion would naturally occur and the 'bad' posts would look more out of place and therefore easier to moderate. Having said that, I appreciate we need to make the forum appealing to join in the first place and this is what we are working towards. You won't have seen a f**k off post for ages. Personal abuse is a top priority for us but like I say, it's not easy to moderate Blackpool fans under these circumstances. Whether we like it or not, there is a lot of anger towards those that attend. Life will be so much easier when we can discuss the football!
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 16:26]

Haha, I rarely look at your site on my phone, and this site and AVFTT both seem OK for viewing, if not posting.

I do like the design on here - and I find your new look a bit arid, really. As you say, all about personal taste.

BHS vs Here on 16:22 - Jan 2 with 1510 viewsspell_chekker

BHS vs Here on 16:08 - Jan 2 by basilrobbiereborn

Haha, I rarely look at your site on my phone, and this site and AVFTT both seem OK for viewing, if not posting.

I do like the design on here - and I find your new look a bit arid, really. As you say, all about personal taste.

Agree with Brr's post of 15:36.

With all the long running problems, many people are feeling a disconnect and losing interest with the club. A knock on effect with the number of posters follows.

Some will start rekindling an interest if the ownership issue is ever favourably resolved. It's going to take more than that for many others though, I reckon the team will have to get into the championship and have a spectactacular cup run to reawaken people's passion, get them attending games again and hence posting.

That's when all sites will start to grow.

BHS vs Here on 16:25 - Jan 2 with 1507 viewsseasider81

BHS vs Here on 16:08 - Jan 2 by basilrobbiereborn

That's the challenge. Our design is based on modern websites such as Sky Sports, Twitter, etc. (Steed used to work for Sky). However, we know people don't like change when they are comfortable using something. This is why we will look at a compact theme so we can appeal to both sides.

It's not the finished article either. On the thread page, there will be 'widgets' on the right hand side that show things like poll results, latest articles, trending threads.. This will make it more compact and fill the white space.
BHS vs Here on 16:25 - Jan 2 with 1506 viewsHannibal

BHS vs Here on 15:36 - Jan 2 by basilrobbiereborn

Good post seasider81, you make some interesting points. I'll respond to some of them in a minute.

My default is that in terms of design and user features this is the best site available by some way. However, like BHS it does not generate enough traffic to make it a "must visit" site.

AVFTT is a lumbering old beast with features that either don't work or were invented in the Neolithic era. The lack of central support and maintenance by FoL is disgraceful and in ordinary circumstances they would suffer for it.

One of the reasons why they don't is that it IS a beast and many people like the quirkiness of it, as well as the weight and diversity of traffic. Also, the brand is very strong and was well established before the internet era. That means there are hundreds of posters creating a very eclectic mix of posts and opinions and I know people find it addictive.

Turning back to BHS and some of the points made by s81 :

- the new features will be interesting in their own right and it may make a difference.

- whilst you deserve much credit for standing your ground in respect of the Oystons, I think all the sites are quite protective of their own reputation with regard to data protection and impartiality and I'm not sure you can claim it as an individual virtue, much though I admire you for sticking with it.

- I think your major problem, as I have said before, is the tone and content of posting. I may be atypical, and this is only an opinion, but I find it hard to find any decent content unless you two are generating it, or Whitstable is around. Too much of it is witless, or profane, or offensive, or sometimes all three.

- I am positive this puts people off, and (as I've also said before) I think your laissez-faire, Committee style approach to moderation compounds the problem. Having half a dozen mods (or whatever the number is) might mean you have all day coverage. But it also encourages them all not to make unilateral calls when sometimes you want them to be decisive and principled

- when I was doing it on AVFTT I was effectively alone a lot of the time, but that does mean that consistency is less of an issue. The thing I found difficult (and this is true of all sites) is that it is difficult to get the right balance with people you know, because you find yourself pulled both ways. I wanted to cut people slack on the one hand, but set some minimum standards on the other. You can't possibly get it right all the time, and you can never please everyone either. One person's "good" moderation is very different from another's

- board content, and how it is policed, is especially important nowadays given how highly politicised the club has become. I think there have been a considerable number of people on both sides who have been trying to manipulate opinion for several years now - spotting them and dealing with them is much harder than dealing with the odd nutcase or axe grinder, which all the sites have

‘I think your laissez-faire, Committee style approach to moderation compounds the problem. Having half a dozen mods (or whatever the number is) might mean you have all day coverage. But it also encourages them all not to make unilateral calls when sometimes you want them to be decisive and principled.’

Your track record as a sole moderator is questionable at best based on my personal experience and feedback.

Best to stick with several moderators than one dictator.

BHS vs Here on 16:32 - Jan 2 with 1498 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BHS vs Here on 16:25 - Jan 2 by Hannibal

‘I think your laissez-faire, Committee style approach to moderation compounds the problem. Having half a dozen mods (or whatever the number is) might mean you have all day coverage. But it also encourages them all not to make unilateral calls when sometimes you want them to be decisive and principled.’

Your track record as a sole moderator is questionable at best based on my personal experience and feedback.

Best to stick with several moderators than one dictator.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024