Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz Truss is the new PM 12:39 - Sep 5 with 31196 viewsJuzzie

82% of the 172,437 Conservative members voted. That's 141,000 people deciding the fate of millions.

Sunak got 60k votes (43%)
Truss got 81k votes (57%)

So it wasn't even a clear majority, the Party was fairly evenly split which says to me they're not in harmony, a divided party.

God help us.

I'd have said the same has Sunak won it, what an awful place to be in where no one seems to be anywhere near good enough for the job at hand.

And before anyone says "Well Labour wouldn't do a better job of it" a) it's not about Labour b) maybe not

What a state this country is in.

[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 12:58]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:22 - Sep 8 with 1969 viewsstanistheman

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:35 - Sep 7 by wood_hoop

'She appears to be passing on this huge energy crisis onto future generations to pay, whilst the companies make huge profits. And judging by the dividends they have so far paid out, it isn't being paid out to shareholders either ( I have a small amount of shares in one company and the dividends I have been getting are half of what I received pre Covid).'

Heres a clue as to where some of the profits end up.....

https://t.co/IWeiRdFQLJ

That's a drop in the ocean compared to the vast profits they make.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:27 - Sep 8 with 1920 viewsR_from_afar

Liz Truss is the new PM on 11:15 - Sep 8 by Sakura

The Yen yesterday hit a 24 low against the dollar

The Euro is currently at a 20 year low against the dollar

Our interest rates being risen 0.75% this month. Need to do more really to help strengthen the £ but this country is so over leveraged we are stuck. Such a mess

Truss off to a good start on the logic and practical action side vs just platitudes with the promising noises around finally supporting fracking. That’s the sort of real actions needed to get out eventually out of this hole we’ve dug ourselves as a nation
[Post edited 8 Sep 2022 11:19]

"Truss off to a good start on the logic and practical action side vs just platitudes with the promising noises around finally supporting fracking".

She did say that fracking would only take place in communities which supported it. Do such places exist when you consider that:

Research by the Yale School of Public Health has found that children are twice to three times as likely to be diagnosed with leukemia if they live near gas fracking sites

Fracking has been found to pollute ground water

Fracking has been proven to cause earthquakes

Fracking is just delaying decarbonisation

Fracking uses colossal amounts of drinking water. In some parts of the UK, it could be farming or consumer supply or fracking, not all of the above

The value of homes in areas where there is fracking will almost certainly decline in value significantly?

Apart from all that, it would take a vast number of wells and as much as a decade of drilling for fracking to make a significant contribution. Per the Tyndall Centre, we would need 2500-3000 wells to produce 10% of the UK's gas.

Don't just take my word for it, here is what Kwasi Kwarteng said about fracking back in March 2022:

PS: My thoughts and prayers are with the Queen and her family at this difficult time

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:33 - Sep 8 with 1896 viewsstanistheman

Liz Truss is the new PM on 11:49 - Sep 8 by derbyhoop

I think that 1st para is a good summary of why people voted the way they did in 2019. I'll add that many were thoroughly teed off with the ongoing Brexit debate, so were happy to vote for anybody promising to end those discussions. Regardless of the ultimate outcomes.

I'm not sure anybody would have anticipated a pandemic, a war in Europe causing huge increases in fuel and food costs. P

I said earlier that people should vote for their local rep, rather than parties and their leaders. But I recognise that people vote for a variety of reasons.

I agree that the 2019 election was mainly voted on who will get on with agreeing a Brexit deal rather than who will be the better party and PM to govern.

None of us anticipated what has happened since.

But hopefully Truss is going to get some success in sorting out some of the mess the country is in. Capping the energy costs for the next 2 years is a good start.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:43 - Sep 8 with 1843 viewsderbyhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:33 - Sep 8 by stanistheman

I agree that the 2019 election was mainly voted on who will get on with agreeing a Brexit deal rather than who will be the better party and PM to govern.

None of us anticipated what has happened since.

But hopefully Truss is going to get some success in sorting out some of the mess the country is in. Capping the energy costs for the next 2 years is a good start.

True. But who is paying the bill?
Political divide between Truss (borrowing) and Labour (windfall tax to lift burden on working families).
It's not straightforward.
Energy supply has been a long term problem unaddressed. Need to consider wind (onshore and offshore), solar, tidal, fossil fuels but also reduce demand via better insulation.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:49 - Sep 8 with 1826 viewsCamberleyR

Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:55 - Sep 8 by Juzzie

When my Gran lost my Grandad after 70+ years of marriage she went downhill quickly. Maybe the same has happened with the Queen. Whatever we thought of him, Philip was clearly her everything.

I've thought this for a while. I know she's an old lady at 96 but right now she really looks all her years and has clearly deteriorated IMO. I didn't think that was the case whilst Prince Philip was alive and thought when he was still alive she looked reasonably good for her advanced years

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:12 - Sep 8 with 1765 viewsJuzzie

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:43 - Sep 8 by derbyhoop

Political divide between Truss (borrowing) and Labour (windfall tax to lift burden on working families).
Energy supply has been a long term problem unaddressed. Need to consider wind (onshore and offshore), solar, tidal, fossil fuels but also reduce demand via better insulation.

As we've come to expect in the HoC it's just more childish baiting.

In her first PM's question Time Liz also fired back at Starmer saying Labour's answer to everything was tax, tax, tax.

Well, yes, to a degree but I don't think Starmer was advocating that the ordinary person on the street should be taxed, which ironically is what will effectively happen with Truss' 'solution', he was asking why aren't the energy companies who will get something like £170billion in profit over the next few years made to pay more windfall tax to help. And while we're at it, what about the likes of Amazon & Starbucks etc?
Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:18 - Sep 8 with 1748 viewsR_from_afar

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:43 - Sep 8 by derbyhoop

The UK has sadly neglected tidal. Predictable, round the clock energy, in large amounts, and tidal power plants last much longer than most alternatives.

France's La Rance tidal barrage has been generating enough electricity for around 350,000 homes since 1966.

The Bristol Channel has the second highest tidal range in the world, it has huge potential.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:58 - Sep 8 with 1689 viewsSakura

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:27 - Sep 8 by R_from_afar

"Truss off to a good start on the logic and practical action side vs just platitudes with the promising noises around finally supporting fracking".

She did say that fracking would only take place in communities which supported it. Do such places exist when you consider that:

Research by the Yale School of Public Health has found that children are twice to three times as likely to be diagnosed with leukemia if they live near gas fracking sites

Fracking has been found to pollute ground water

Fracking has been proven to cause earthquakes

Fracking is just delaying decarbonisation

Fracking uses colossal amounts of drinking water. In some parts of the UK, it could be farming or consumer supply or fracking, not all of the above

The value of homes in areas where there is fracking will almost certainly decline in value significantly?

Apart from all that, it would take a vast number of wells and as much as a decade of drilling for fracking to make a significant contribution. Per the Tyndall Centre, we would need 2500-3000 wells to produce 10% of the UK's gas.

Don't just take my word for it, here is what Kwasi Kwarteng said about fracking back in March 2022:

PS: My thoughts and prayers are with the Queen and her family at this difficult time

Announcement at 3 queen died this morning apparently - very sad

Can’t even be bothered to post my response why I think you are wrong or Juzzie numbers are fairytales
[Post edited 8 Sep 2022 14:59]
Login to get fewer ads

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:00 - Sep 8 with 1675 viewsfrancisbowles

Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:12 - Sep 8 by Juzzie

As we've come to expect in the HoC it's just more childish baiting.

In her first PM's question Time Liz also fired back at Starmer saying Labour's answer to everything was tax, tax, tax.

Well, yes, to a degree but I don't think Starmer was advocating that the ordinary person on the street should be taxed, which ironically is what will effectively happen with Truss' 'solution', he was asking why aren't the energy companies who will get something like £170billion in profit over the next few years made to pay more windfall tax to help. And while we're at it, what about the likes of Amazon & Starbucks etc?

If the reason that there will not be a windfall tax on companies, is the desire to improve investment into the economy, then where are the guarantees or even proposals from these companies that this will happen.

It should be invest these excess profits or donate them to the exchequer.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:04 - Sep 8 with 1661 viewsJuzzie

Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:58 - Sep 8 by Sakura

Announcement at 3 queen died this morning apparently - very sad

Can’t even be bothered to post my response why I think you are wrong or Juzzie numbers are fairytales
[Post edited 8 Sep 2022 14:59]

what numbers? If it's the £170b they came from the leader of the opposition during the first PM's question time.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:20 - Sep 8 with 1604 viewsSakura

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:04 - Sep 8 by Juzzie

what numbers? If it's the £170b they came from the leader of the opposition during the first PM's question time.

My Aunt works for the Sun. Queen is already dead sadly. Want to announce tomorrow but she believes it is going to come out today now. She thought at 3 but seems it will be today

Thought it would be out now but it hasn't so just on that

According to public gov documents, their total profits for 2021 was £30bn and in 2022 they will be around £40bn (which is taxed at 65%)

So this year we are going to get £6.5bn extra on top of the £19.5bn that's already accounted for.

That leaves an extra £162.5bn that Starmers numbers are missing

Starmer it turns out lying to you and so apparently it isnt just Boris who was the only politician who lies
Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:41 - Sep 8 with 1511 viewsJuzzie

They all lie. I have no faith in any of them on the whole even if my own beliefs are just left of centre.

edit: Starmer said the £170b was over the next two years, which is what I quoted in my post above, not what has been made in 2021 and 2022 so far. A semi-competent person who actually watched the PM's Question Time would realise this. Mr Armitage has made himself look a bit of a berk really.
I guess we'll have to wait until 2025 to see for sure how any projections pan out.

[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 11:03]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:12 - Sep 8 with 1374 viewsdmm

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:20 - Sep 8 by Sakura

My Aunt works for the Sun. Queen is already dead sadly. Want to announce tomorrow but she believes it is going to come out today now. She thought at 3 but seems it will be today

Thought it would be out now but it hasn't so just on that

According to public gov documents, their total profits for 2021 was £30bn and in 2022 they will be around £40bn (which is taxed at 65%)

So this year we are going to get £6.5bn extra on top of the £19.5bn that's already accounted for.

That leaves an extra £162.5bn that Starmers numbers are missing

Starmer it turns out lying to you and so apparently it isnt just Boris who was the only politician who lies

You question the figure of £170 billion extra profits energy companies are making. However, there are plenty of media outlets quoting this figure including that lefty rag The Daily Mail.

The Treasury say they do not 'recognise the analysis' but Truss did not dispute that figure when Stamer presented it to her at PMQs yesterday. All she said was she would not impose a windfall tax on energy companies' profits.

Energy companies making obscene profits and CEOs given huge bonuses while 1 in 10 people are going hungry. What a shocking state this country is in.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 21:20 - Sep 11 with 1040 viewsBushRanger82

This country is well and truly facked.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024