Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ystradfellte Falls 17:52 - Jan 5 with 2313 viewstrampie

Tragedy up the Falls by the sound of it, one woman dead another missing.

Conditions can be dangerous up there, it's become very popular with tourists and walkers in recent times.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:01 - Jan 5 with 2290 viewsmax936

People are mad to go to places like that with the weather we've been having, I slipped on steps coming down from garden last night, caused me some back pain so its easily done, but you are surely asking for possible issues in area's such as Ystradfellte Falls, its just not worth it surely.

Tragic loss of life, RIP.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2023 18:31]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:14 - Jan 5 with 2271 viewstrampie

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:01 - Jan 5 by max936

People are mad to go to places like that with the weather we've been having, I slipped on steps coming down from garden last night, caused me some back pain so its easily done, but you are surely asking for possible issues in area's such as Ystradfellte Falls, its just not worth it surely.

Yes I know, I used to go up the Bont (not that one) fishing as a youngster and then drinking up there so know how treacherous the areas around the falls can be.
I know things have changed with walkways and signage up there these days and there is GPS and mobile phones nowadays but I still wouldn't entertain going up the Falls this time of year, sad story whatever has happened.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:53 - Jan 5 with 2237 viewsbritferry

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:01 - Jan 5 by max936

I've been up there twice, stunning walks.

Once was during the summer, the other was late winter after recent rain, the falls were in full flow on the 2nd visit, so I can understand why they were there.

Its still a tragedy

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Ystradfellte Falls on 19:29 - Jan 5 with 2215 viewscontroversial_jack

It's not an easy walk in good weather
,it must be dodgy there in this weather
Ystradfellte Falls on 20:28 - Jan 5 with 2173 viewsmax936

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:53 - Jan 5 by britferry

I've been up there twice, stunning walks.

Once was during the summer, the other was late winter after recent rain, the falls were in full flow on the 2nd visit, so I can understand why they were there.

Its still a tragedy

Well, ok I can accept the attraction by visiting this time of year to see its beauty in the winter and the sight of seeing the power of the water flowing over the falls ect, but do you need to get that close that you're putting yourself in danger or can you admire its beauty from a safe distance? I've never been so don't know.

At the end of the day people are entitled to do what they do, its just such a tragedy that its cost at least one life in doing so, its all so very sad.

Ystradfellte Falls on 20:32 - Jan 5 with 2164 viewsmax936

Just looked it up on Google, looks a stunning place fair play.

Ystradfellte Falls on 20:49 - Jan 5 with 2147 viewsbritferry

Latest BBC news:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64176647

This is the famous one of the lot, "Sgwd yr Eira", which you can walk around the back of, so you have to get close it but I did this in the summer when it was like this, not sure I would try it during the winter

Ystradfellte Falls on 21:01 - Jan 5 with 2141 viewsmax936

Ystradfellte Falls on 20:49 - Jan 5 by britferry

Latest BBC news:

This is the famous one of the lot, "Sgwd yr Eira", which you can walk around the back of, so you have to get close it but I did this in the summer when it was like this, not sure I would try it during the winter

Never been or thought about going, but I can see why people go there when there a heavy flow of water and it must be stunning fair play.

There's nothing like watching the powerful flow of water, I've taken the odd risk by fishing the Wye in heavy water conditions, but I've made things as sure as I could to be safe, making sure of my perch so to speak, as was much younger then, not sure I'd do it now though, probably head for the Barrels Pub instead
[Post edited 5 Jan 2023 21:07]

Login to get fewer ads

Ystradfellte Falls on 21:36 - Jan 5 with 2120 viewsBoundy

Ystradfellte Falls on 20:49 - Jan 5 by britferry

Latest BBC news:

Walk to the right of it then up you can then stand above the falls , very slippery when wet even in summer, footpaths are ok but again slippery when wet and you can see how high the river rises by the width and height of the bank's

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Ystradfellte Falls on 21:58 - Jan 5 with 2114 viewscontroversial_jack

Ystradfellte Falls on 21:36 - Jan 5 by Boundy

Walk to the right of it then up you can then stand above the falls , very slippery when wet even in summer, footpaths are ok but again slippery when wet and you can see how high the river rises by the width and height of the bank's

It's very slippery there and the climb down is steep and dodgy
Ystradfellte Falls on 23:11 - Jan 5 with 2082 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Used to go gorge walking there as a kid. Lot of very interesting caves you can crawl into as well.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Ystradfellte Falls on 00:13 - Jan 6 with 2057 viewsBoundy

Ystradfellte Falls on 23:11 - Jan 5 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Used to go gorge walking there as a kid. Lot of very interesting caves you can crawl into as well.

Working at heights never bothered me , going underground , no chance

Ystradfellte Falls on 17:31 - Jan 6 with 1893 viewsmax936

Ystradfellte Falls on 00:13 - Jan 6 by Boundy

Working at heights never bothered me , going underground , no chance

Can't do either to be honest.

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:54 - Jan 6 with 1840 viewsBoundy

Ystradfellte Falls on 17:31 - Jan 6 by max936

Can't do either to be honest.

No disgrace in that , anyone who can work under ground ie miner has my admiration , the thought of caving makes me shake . Heights not so , parachuting abseiling ,rock climbing then worked at quite high heights on average 200 foot with no real issues . As they say we're all different

Ystradfellte Falls on 22:14 - Jan 6 with 1782 viewsmajorraglan

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:54 - Jan 6 by Boundy

No disgrace in that , anyone who can work under ground ie miner has my admiration , the thought of caving makes me shake . Heights not so , parachuting abseiling ,rock climbing then worked at quite high heights on average 200 foot with no real issues . As they say we're all different

I take my hat off to you, I’ve developed a real fear of heights over the last 20 years. Previously done a few parachute jumps and abseiling, but these days anything over 4 storeys and I’m feeling queasy. Recently stayed on the 27th floor of a hotel whilst on holiday, I couldn’t look out the window !!!
Ystradfellte Falls on 22:55 - Jan 6 with 1754 viewsBoundy

Ystradfellte Falls on 22:14 - Jan 6 by majorraglan

I take my hat off to you, I’ve developed a real fear of heights over the last 20 years. Previously done a few parachute jumps and abseiling, but these days anything over 4 storeys and I’m feeling queasy. Recently stayed on the 27th floor of a hotel whilst on holiday, I couldn’t look out the window !!!

My days of climbing for work will soon be over as I'm retiring (66 at the end of this month) but still have my working at heights ticket valid for another two years , my parachuting was many years ago , static line only as I never progressed to free fall so a case of sit on the edge , dont think too much and just ease yourself out the door but brilliant fun . With a lot of people the fear of heights becomes a phobia and I have to say the only real fear was erecting 160 foot tall anemometer masts 3 sided 1x foot wide, each face down Carmarthen bay power station where experimenatl wind turbines were built ,this in the days before permenant attachment was mandatory and could those things sway so more like a fair ground ride than work , you can see one of the masts in the 8th image in the news story attached
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/burry-port-wind-farm-llanelli-1895
My apologies to really going off topic

Ystradfellte Falls on 23:18 - Jan 6 with 1747 viewsbritferry

gonna be a lot of rain this weekend, yellow weather warning for the beacons, not good for those searching

Ystradfellte Falls on 23:31 - Jan 6 with 1740 viewsBoundy

Ystradfellte Falls on 23:18 - Jan 6 by britferry

gonna be a lot of rain this weekend, yellow weather warning for the beacons, not good for those searching

No sadly not , has there been any further update ?

Ystradfellte Falls on 17:51 - Jan 7 with 1658 viewsmax936

Ystradfellte Falls on 22:14 - Jan 6 by majorraglan

I had to reset a few ridge tiles on my first house, been up and down a few times then after I finished and got chucked everything down,but I couldn't bring myself to get off roof and onto ladder, sat up there for maybe half hr, Mrs was close to calling Fire Brigade, that was the que I needed to grow a pair and get off and onto ladder.
Roof on House I'm in now is even higher, I have been up there once or twice, but that was years ago, just the thought gives me the heebie jeebie's these days.

Ystradfellte Falls on 19:53 - Jan 7 with 1627 viewsmajorraglan

Ystradfellte Falls on 22:55 - Jan 6 by Boundy

My days of climbing for work will soon be over as I'm retiring (66 at the end of this month) but still have my working at heights ticket valid for another two years , my parachuting was many years ago , static line only as I never progressed to free fall so a case of sit on the edge , dont think too much and just ease yourself out the door but brilliant fun . With a lot of people the fear of heights becomes a phobia and I have to say the only real fear was erecting 160 foot tall anemometer masts 3 sided 1x foot wide, each face down Carmarthen bay power station where experimenatl wind turbines were built ,this in the days before permenant attachment was mandatory and could those things sway so more like a fair ground ride than work , you can see one of the masts in the 8th image in the news story attached
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/burry-port-wind-farm-llanelli-1895
My apologies to really going off topic

I was surfing on the web a few weeks ago and came across a video of Fred Dibnah dismantling a chimney back in the day. He’d climbed up a couple of hundred feet without a rope and then started working chiselling away in the wind and rain. Mental.
Ystradfellte Falls on 20:55 - Jan 7 with 1605 viewsJack123

Ystradfellte Falls on 17:51 - Jan 7 by max936

I had to reset a few ridge tiles on my first house, been up and down a few times then after I finished and got chucked everything down,but I couldn't bring myself to get off roof and onto ladder, sat up there for maybe half hr, Mrs was close to calling Fire Brigade, that was the que I needed to grow a pair and get off and onto ladder.
Roof on House I'm in now is even higher, I have been up there once or twice, but that was years ago, just the thought gives me the heebie jeebie's these days.

Nothing wrong with that Max, I think it's normal.

Many years ago, had the same problem myself. I think it's a case of, it suddenly dawns on you, if you make a mistake you are going to be dead or seriously injured., btw I would never go on a roof without scaffolding outside ever again.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2023 20:56]

libera nos a malo

Ystradfellte Falls on 21:01 - Jan 7 with 1597 viewsmax936

Ystradfellte Falls on 20:55 - Jan 7 by Jack123

Nothing wrong with that Max, I think it's normal.

Many years ago, had the same problem myself. I think it's a case of, it suddenly dawns on you, if you make a mistake you are going to be dead or seriously injured., btw I would never go on a roof without scaffolding outside ever again.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2023 20:56]

Safer with scaffolding unless you do somin daft.

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:17 - Jan 9 with 1501 viewsbuilthjack

Second body found. Tragic.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 18:18]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Ystradfellte Falls on 23:54 - Jan 9 with 1448 viewsBoundy

Ystradfellte Falls on 18:17 - Jan 9 by builthjack

Second body found. Tragic.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 18:18]

So sad but a https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2023-01-10/devastated-family-remember-devoted-cou in some small way for the family of not having to think will he/she ever be found , bloody awful all the same

[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 12:14]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024