Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) 08:27 - Oct 10 with 3559 viewsthame_hoops

Has anybody started watching the David Beckham series on Netflix? I’ve watched episode one.

Most of the focus towards the end of the episode is about his sending off at the World Cup in 1998. Beckham and his family are very critical of Glenn Hoddle in the aftermath? I don’t remember this at the time. I also don’t remember the media being mad at Hoddle for Not playing Beckham in the first 2 games. Victoria and his mum are scathing about hoddle for hanging David out to dry after the Argentina game. Maybe I am misremembering, but I thought the media and fans liked Glenn and were just mad at Beckham? I remember England playing Luxembourg or someone at Wembley in 1999, think we won 7-0 and when Beckham‘s name was read out at the beginning, it got lots of boos.

For me, the Glenn Hoddle side played attractive football, and he was a superb manager until he made those stupid comments. I also think had Beckham stayed on the field, we would’ve probably beat Argentina. Also ridiculous that Victoria told David right before the game that she was pregnant. That could’ve waited till after, surely.

I will continue the series later, just wondered what peoples memories on 98 were as the Beckhams versions were skewed.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 8:27]
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:00 - Oct 10 with 2880 viewsBluce_Ree

My only real memory of 98 was West Ham losing their shit and burning effigies of him or something. Bellends.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:02 - Oct 10 with 2874 viewsjeffranger

Yes saw 1st episode last night & was quite good, agree Hoddle made Some stupid comments & Beckham was a fool with that kick & was targeted unfairly by Media & getting spat at & that’s uncalled for, he was targeted by the Argies in that match, will watch again tonight
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:08 - Oct 10 with 2842 viewsSydneyRs

I've watched the whole series and its really good. Beckham comes across as a very genuine guy, whereas his Mrs has clearly been set up in a pose for every bit where she's speaking.

I think at the time the general hatred for Man Utd was far bigger than it is now because they were so dominant. He of course was their glamour boy and the Spice Girls thing only added to that. I think there was a general impression that he wasn't dedicated enough to football. The series certainly puts that to bed IMHO.

On the night of the Argentina game he got the blame from most and a lot of it was as much to do with anti Man Utd sentiment as the event itself. I myself was guilty of it at the time.

Simeone in the series admitted to milking it and also said it should not have been a red card. It was never a red in a million years, yellow perhaps. The ref was an idiot, as they often are at world cups.

Anyway, all history now and we might well have still lost anyway. We also had Holland next if we won, followed by France or Brazil I think so getting all the way was a pretty long bow. The best part was Bergkamp sending the Argies out in the next round with a brilliant last minute goal.

The Hoddle stuff was interesting and I wanted to slap that pub owner who allowed the effigy to be hung out. Beckham's pride in representing England shone through.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:10 - Oct 10 with 2827 viewsToast_R

Finished the final episode last night. He has quite a bad case of OCD it would seem. I think this helped him nurture his football ability in his younger years.

The hatred DB got after France 98 was well OTT in hindsight but he was a Man United pretty boy and in the newspapers every day with his celebrity wife, so a lot of people didn't like him during that era anyway so when he f*cked up, it was the perfect excuse for a "build em up to knock em down" media pile on.

Glenn Hoddle could have handled it better for sure and did throw him under the bus but then Hoddle it seems through a lot of other footballers accounts, had a huge opinion of himself and put himself and his ideas above anyone else. Just read the accounts of players who refused the help of Irene Drewery.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:17 - Oct 10 with 2788 viewsFDC

Main take away for me was remembering how much I hated following England during that period.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:21 - Oct 10 with 2760 viewsBAWHoops

I clearly remember the media blaming Beckham for Argentina. The overreaction was ridiculous.
When that tournament started Hoddle wouldn't play him and he was our brightest star at the time so there was questions asked of Hoddle. He bought on Beck and Owen v Romania and they were excellent so came into the starting 11 v Colombia and Argentina.

I didn't remember how much Hoddle hung Becks out to dry after the Argentina game. Watching the interview with him back it's quite shocking. He straight up blames Beckham.
Would never happen nowadays and indeed at the 2006 World Cup when Rooney did the same thing Sven made a point of telling the press to not overly blame him.

Hoddle was obviously an atrocious man manager though

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:51 - Oct 10 with 2652 viewsQPunkR

Still can't believe Hoddle didn't take Le Tissier to the World Cup. Anyone else there that pre-WC England B vs Russia B where he scored a hat-trick, including one straight from a kick-off? From memory he dribbled around six or seven Russians and scored.

Was on SA Road after the game helping my little brother try and get some signatures, when Le Tiss came out he recognised some Southampton fans also outside the ground and said "alright lads, going to the Springbok then are we?" and went for a pint with them rather than get on the team coach with all the other players! What a player he was by the way.

QPR - "shit but local"

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:57 - Oct 10 with 2630 viewsPaddyhoops

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:21 - Oct 10 by BAWHoops

I clearly remember the media blaming Beckham for Argentina. The overreaction was ridiculous.
When that tournament started Hoddle wouldn't play him and he was our brightest star at the time so there was questions asked of Hoddle. He bought on Beck and Owen v Romania and they were excellent so came into the starting 11 v Colombia and Argentina.

I didn't remember how much Hoddle hung Becks out to dry after the Argentina game. Watching the interview with him back it's quite shocking. He straight up blames Beckham.
Would never happen nowadays and indeed at the 2006 World Cup when Rooney did the same thing Sven made a point of telling the press to not overly blame him.

My missus loved him until he opened his mouth and did his Mickey Mouse impression.
Put her right off.
Login to get fewer ads

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:00 - Oct 10 with 2625 viewsthame_hoops

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:21 - Oct 10 by BAWHoops

Gary Newbon did put the words in his mouth though, in the post match interview. He just pretty much reiterated what Newbon had said.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:17 - Oct 10 with 2571 viewsMick_S

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 09:51 - Oct 10 by QPunkR

Still can't believe Hoddle didn't take Le Tissier to the World Cup. Anyone else there that pre-WC England B vs Russia B where he scored a hat-trick, including one straight from a kick-off? From memory he dribbled around six or seven Russians and scored.

Was on SA Road after the game helping my little brother try and get some signatures, when Le Tiss came out he recognised some Southampton fans also outside the ground and said "alright lads, going to the Springbok then are we?" and went for a pint with them rather than get on the team coach with all the other players! What a player he was by the way.

He could have done no more that night, he was just superb. He was never going to the World Cup.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:22 - Oct 10 with 2543 viewsted_hendrix

My eldest lad dropped everything work etcetera and without having a ticket (England supporter member) set off for France, struggled like mad to get a ticket but eventually paid a lot of cash for one sat In the stadium and watched Beckham get himself sent off.

Good luck watching the Beckham Series.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:29 - Oct 10 with 2513 viewsted_hendrix

Le Tissier was one of the best players I've ever seen live, fabulous-fabulous skill, one game at the old Dell we were giving him stick about the size of his nose (as you do) somewhere about the 85th minute after he had utterly ran us ragged he slowly jogged past us holding his nose with a big grin on his face.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:34 - Oct 10 with 2498 viewsdaveB

Hoddle as a right prat at times and really under achieved with a very good England squad, a better one imo than the golden generation one in 2006.

Fans and media sided with Hoddle but were wrong imo, Beckham was treated abysmally by the media and fans for 2 years

Hoddle dumped Gazza on the eve of the tournament and basically ruined the mans life, dealt with it horribly when he really should have either not had him in the squad at all if he wasn't going to be picked or just taken him.

First 2 games of tournament he left out Owen and Beckham and was scathing of Beckham in training. We blew a winnable group losing to Romania, he had to bring them both on at 2-0 down after starting an out of form Sherringham and playing both Ince and Batty holding in midfield but they almost recused the game.

They started the last game which we won but meant rather than an easier route to the final (Croatia, Germany and France) we were gonna have to beat Argentina, Holland and Brazil just to get to the final.

beckham was right, he was a prick and the way he dealt with the red card was a disgrace.

Southgate gets pelters these days but a million times the manger Hoddle will ever be for England
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:37 - Oct 10 with 2490 viewsToast_R

Good interview with Le Tissier on the Simon Jordan podcast.

Le Tissier said he idolised Glenn Hoddle growing up and based his game on him. He also said that people in the Media were always comparing him to Glenn Hoddle in playing style and reckons Hoddle took exception to this and was always frosty towards him as a result. Years later when Le Tissier met Hoddle as a pundit, he tried to apologise for what had gone on when he was left out of the England squad and his reaction when asked to play in a B side. Hoddle wasn't forthcoming.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 10:38]
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:37 - Oct 10 with 2486 viewstraininvain

Southgate would never throw a player under the bus the way Hoddle did to Beckham in 1998. All he had to do was come out and say the ref got it wrong.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:53 - Oct 10 with 2420 viewsW7Ranger

Yeah I went to that game. Was only about 5-6k there. Le Tiss was brilliant - unplayable even - that night.

Probably the best individual performance I've ever seen live.

He could do no more. But he was clearly never gonna go to France no matter what he done. Shameful really that a player (Hoddle) of his skill and ability would overlook someone equaly as flambouyant in Le Tiss.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 13:35]
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 10:57 - Oct 10 with 2401 viewsTheChef

Yeah I'm watching it more because Mrs Chef suggested it, although I'd hardly say I was a big PoshnBecks fan. Nice bit of PR for them I suppose...

Main issue was losing to Romania, we really should have finished top of that group to avoid Argentina. Although we would have played Croatia instead, who ended up getting to the semi finals so that would have been tough anyway.

Despite the sending off we still had a possible winning goal chalked off and got it to penalties - not forgetting Seaman saved one of their penalties first.

The quality in that squad, really should have got a lot further.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:30 - Oct 10 with 2318 viewsPhilmyRs

Interesting RE Le Tissier. He did play incredibly well against Russia in the B game, but had he gone to the world cup, I don't think Les would have made it. I also remember the home game against Italy, Le Tissier got his chance and started, and was rubbish and really struggled to impose himself on the game. I thought Hoddle was a good tactician and had England playing some of the best football I've seen. The away performance against Italy when we got the point to qualify was a tactical masterclass. His problem was his people skills, as his treatment of Beckham shows. That game against Argentina, until Beckham was sent off, we were playing some scintillating Football and looked like we could really do something, the sending off finished us but thought Hoddle managed it well afterword's, rotating Shearer and Owen with one playing wide, then swapping. He made mistakes, but I think overall he knew his stuff and was a shame how it ended.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:31 - Oct 10 with 2316 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:38 - Oct 10 with 2297 viewsParkRoyalR

Looking forward to the episode where he's screaming profanities at his agent about not using a penny of his money to support UNICEF, wants its all fully expensed including for his mate Dave and if he does'nt get knighted for it they can stick the MBE where the sun don't shine, such a Royalist!

Oh wait, his own production company who made the series have left that bit out? but hoping to show footage of him in his finest 3-piece suit, queuing up to pay his respects, despite raging about being insulted if offered anything less than a knighthood!

Bloke's a fraud but fair play to him, find enough mugs, mug them off.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:44 - Oct 10 with 2285 viewsToast_R

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:31 - Oct 10 by Nov77

Looks so weird now seeing the home team score at a canter down the Lower Loft End.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:51 - Oct 10 with 2279 viewsNov77

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:38 - Oct 10 by ParkRoyalR

Looking forward to the episode where he's screaming profanities at his agent about not using a penny of his money to support UNICEF, wants its all fully expensed including for his mate Dave and if he does'nt get knighted for it they can stick the MBE where the sun don't shine, such a Royalist!

Oh wait, his own production company who made the series have left that bit out? but hoping to show footage of him in his finest 3-piece suit, queuing up to pay his respects, despite raging about being insulted if offered anything less than a knighthood!

Bloke's a fraud but fair play to him, find enough mugs, mug them off.

Yup, always thought he was the biggest narcissist, obsessed with his own image.

Sir David Beckham? And only Mr Bobby Moore. No thanks.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 12:25 - Oct 10 with 2207 viewsQPRSteve

Haven't liked Hoddle ever since he scored a penalty in a certain FA Cup Final replay.

Le Tissier's eight games for England is a disgrace. Mind you England managers up till then had a long tradition of ignoring our flare players - Rodney, Stan, Duncan McKenzie, Charlie George, Brian Little, to name but a few. Used to boil my píss when I'd see an England squad announcement.

PS. The picture of Le Tissier on his Wikipedia page his awful.
Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 13:19 - Oct 10 with 2066 viewsQPunkR

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:31 - Oct 10 by Nov77

Yeah his second goal there was scored from ko after Ian Walker let a weak shot squirm under his fringe. Dunno why they didn't show the whole replay from the start, he bamboozled every single player in their team!

QPR - "shit but local"

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 13:21 - Oct 10 with 2057 viewsQPunkR

Beckham Series Netflix (*NON QPR) on 11:30 - Oct 10 by PhilmyRs

Interesting RE Le Tissier. He did play incredibly well against Russia in the B game, but had he gone to the world cup, I don't think Les would have made it. I also remember the home game against Italy, Le Tissier got his chance and started, and was rubbish and really struggled to impose himself on the game. I thought Hoddle was a good tactician and had England playing some of the best football I've seen. The away performance against Italy when we got the point to qualify was a tactical masterclass. His problem was his people skills, as his treatment of Beckham shows. That game against Argentina, until Beckham was sent off, we were playing some scintillating Football and looked like we could really do something, the sending off finished us but thought Hoddle managed it well afterword's, rotating Shearer and Owen with one playing wide, then swapping. He made mistakes, but I think overall he knew his stuff and was a shame how it ended.

That home game vs Italy, Hoddle stuck Le Tiss up front completely by himself and spent the whole game getting the team to hoof long balls up to him to compete against 4 Italian defenders in the air. Completely hung him out to dry.

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024