Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers 17:23 - Mar 29 with 21800 viewsDylanP

Great performance today, for a really important win. But it is no surprise that our two goals came from defenders. I cannot remember a single shot from Frey or Armstrong and while both were influential, ultimately they are there to score goals. Both Willock and Chair had really good opportunities that they slashed at and skied it miles over the bar from close range. Again both had their moments, but in the end, balls in the back of the net speak loudest. We often talk about the elusive 20-goals-a-season striker but we aren't even close to having a 10-goals-a-season striker. Our top goalscorer this season is Chair with 5. That is pathetic.

This is the team that is going to keep us up and Marti is the man, but in the off-season job number 1 has to be to get a striker who can score goals.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 06:39 - Mar 30 with 2601 viewsPlanetHonneywood

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:26 - Mar 29 by Landshark

I just had a look at strikers or forwards in the Championship who have scored more than 10 goals this season. Yes you can potentially pick up bargains but the likely you're going to need to spend big.

Adam Armstrong - £15 million
Haji Wright - £9 million
Josh Sargent - £9.5 million
Jamie Vardy - £1 million
Ryan Hardie - unknown, probably cheap
Will Keane - unknown, probably cheap
Nathan Broadhead - £1.5 million
Joël Piroe - £10 million
Ellis Simms - £7 million
Stephy Mavididi - £7.5 million
Ché Adams - £15 million

Save what we might scout at the forthcoming Euros and maybe adding Gyokeres, you've effectively drafted the club's shopping list for the summer!

Our strikers have provided poor harvests for several seasons now, it's getting to the stage that a Bob Geldof organised relief song is warranted. That said, Matt_Goblin called it above...let's have a day off and enjoy it!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 07:51 - Mar 30 with 2481 viewshubble

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:20 - Mar 29 by Esox_Lucius

When has Dykes not put a shift in? After Chair, he works harder than anyone.

True, he'd be great on a building site. Unfortunately, what we need is a striker.

What I think is interesting is that every time Armstrong and Smyth come on in games, the whole energy of the team shifts up a gear. Until that point yesterday we were sloppy and lethargic. Even though Sincs doesn't score many, he still changes games.

Frey was poor yesterday, but he wasn't helped by the midfield. I don't think I've seen so many misplaced passes and long balls that went out of play or to the oppo keeper in a game before. Andersen had a real off day yesterday, Willock was largely anonymous and Chair wasn't much better. All three of them missed golden opportunities to score. On another day, we would have lost, but fortunately our defenders came to the rescue.

Just think, if it hadn't been for a fortuitous Cannon illness, we may never have seen JD at right back. That single moment may have saved our season.
[Post edited 30 Mar 13:37]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:14 - Mar 30 with 2444 viewsQPROslo

I think Armstrong has improved considerably during this season. Yesterday he contributed to Dunne's goal by pressing their defenders after Dunne's initial header forward. Sanderson got to it but Armstrong's press rushed him into doing no more than nodding it back where it came from.... Boom 2-1. If Armstrong stays with us next season I'll be optimistic he'll get us more goals and assists than this.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:19 - Mar 30 with 2433 viewsSpaceman_P

Like the great shift he put in against Boro.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:19 - Mar 30 with 2431 viewsWatford_Ranger

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 06:39 - Mar 30 by PlanetHonneywood

Save what we might scout at the forthcoming Euros and maybe adding Gyokeres, you've effectively drafted the club's shopping list for the summer!

Our strikers have provided poor harvests for several seasons now, it's getting to the stage that a Bob Geldof organised relief song is warranted. That said, Matt_Goblin called it above...let's have a day off and enjoy it!!

Don’t think we’ll be shopping at the Euros. If there’s a friendly between Liechtenstein and Armenia we might find something that suits our budget.

I like Stansfield at Birmingham. Again not super prolific but doubt anyone would be at Birmingham. Good age, doubt he’s getting in Fulham’s team any time soon but every time I’ve seen him I’ve thought he’s got something.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:32 - Mar 30 with 2395 viewsdmm

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:14 - Mar 30 by QPROslo

I think Armstrong has improved considerably during this season. Yesterday he contributed to Dunne's goal by pressing their defenders after Dunne's initial header forward. Sanderson got to it but Armstrong's press rushed him into doing no more than nodding it back where it came from.... Boom 2-1. If Armstrong stays with us next season I'll be optimistic he'll get us more goals and assists than this.

I agree with you, Oslo. Sinclair has come on well this season. He's had to 'learn on the job' so to speak as the club couldn't afford to let him go out on an extended loan which would have helped his development. But, credit to him, he's obviously taken on board coaching and advice which shows a good attitude.

Whichever league we're in next season - and I'm sure it'll be the Championship - he should be retained and allowed more playing time. That will also help him want to stay at QPR.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:43 - Mar 30 with 2279 viewsDorse

The last time we had strikers that scored regularly was that season with Wells, Hugill and Eze contributing 44 goals between them.

However, 2 of them were loans so, technically, we still didn't have strikers that scored! Even with that in mind, we still only finished in 13th place that season (19/20) because we couldn't keep a clean sheet - we scored 67 (nice) but let in 76. Seventy-fcuking-six! With six to go, we're 20+ better than that.

Marti has worked some sort of miracle by fixing what can be fixed with the tools he's got. Shut the back door and we're not forced to score as many.

Controversially (or not), i actually think that the next phase of 'Operation Marti the Redeemer' will be to firm up the midfield for next season (no Hayden or Hodge) and then he'll think about the forwards.

Think about it: even with the forwards we've got, our form and performance has been play-off worthy since Marti arrived. A big part of that was shape and holding the midfield, not scoring 10 goals a game. Pragma over dogma, baby.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 10:17 - Mar 30 with 2232 viewsOldPedro

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 07:51 - Mar 30 by hubble

True, he'd be great on a building site. Unfortunately, what we need is a striker.

What I think is interesting is that every time Armstrong and Smyth come on in games, the whole energy of the team shifts up a gear. Until that point yesterday we were sloppy and lethargic. Even though Sincs doesn't score many, he still changes games.

Frey was poor yesterday, but he wasn't helped by the midfield. I don't think I've seen so many misplaced passes and long balls that went out of play or to the oppo keeper in a game before. Andersen had a real off day yesterday, Willock was largely anonymous and Chair wasn't much better. All three of them missed golden opportunities to score. On another day, we would have lost, but fortunately our defenders came to the rescue.

Just think, if it hadn't been for a fortuitous Cannon illness, we may never have seen JD at right back. That single moment may have saved our season.

I think the misplaced passes and missed opportunities showed how nervous some of the players were yesterday - they all knew how important the game was.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 10:32 - Mar 30 with 2161 viewsNortholt_Rs

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 07:51 - Mar 30 by hubble

On another day we would’ve scored 5. The chances we missed were ridiculous.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 11:39 - Mar 30 with 2061 viewsNov77

Can we even call them strikers if they don’t ’strike”?

I have some sympathy for them as invariably they’re playing on their own against two centre half’s, and they’re feeding off scraps.

Even so, they’re just not contributing anything. Can’t keep relying on midfielders and defenders to get your goals.

Number one priority for next season.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:20 - Mar 30 with 2013 viewslassel

I’m sure we will take whatever we can get for Dykes this summer and shake hands as friends. Equally I suspect Armstrong will be sent out on loan at least until January.

The ‘concern’ for me is Frey - he’s eager and has never dropped his head, but he was pretty damn awful yesterday and since he joined for the most part his second touch has been a tackle….. I strongly suspect his agreement has an option for next year on significantly more than the packet of pork scratchings he is getting now and of course as a Plan C he is an option off the bench but I imagine Marti will be looking for a couple of young mobile strikers this summer and moving well away from ‘a big’un’ up top.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:33 - Mar 30 with 1976 viewsdm97

Everything in this thread is true. Choosing to focus on it after yesterday is ridiculous. James Gerard Dunne has just scored one of the great qpr goals, drink it in!
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:09 - Mar 30 with 1882 viewsBoston

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 11:39 - Mar 30 by Nov77

Can we even call them strikers if they don’t ’strike”?

I have some sympathy for them as invariably they’re playing on their own against two centre half’s, and they’re feeding off scraps.

Even so, they’re just not contributing anything. Can’t keep relying on midfielders and defenders to get your goals.

Number one priority for next season.

Have you ever considered that our strikers are on strike?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:21 - Mar 30 with 1873 viewscolinallcars

There's every chance that we'll finish the season with our top scorer having accumulated the grand total score of four goals.
Anyone know what our previous record is ?
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:22 - Mar 30 with 1871 viewsstrikerace

what we need to do is combine Dykes and Sinclair into one player, then we would have something.

I would just put Sinclair out there every match for the rest of the season, spell him with Dykes. He is the only one that gives the defenders a problem, and he allows us to stretch the pitch. He is the most dangerous by a long way
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:27 - Mar 30 with 1842 viewscolinallcars

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:22 - Mar 30 by strikerace

what we need to do is combine Dykes and Sinclair into one player, then we would have something.

I would just put Sinclair out there every match for the rest of the season, spell him with Dykes. He is the only one that gives the defenders a problem, and he allows us to stretch the pitch. He is the most dangerous by a long way

I agree. I don't know about oppo defenders but Sinclair frightens the bejesus out of me sitting in my seat.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:47 - Mar 30 with 1723 viewskensalriser

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 00:37 - Mar 30 by Landshark

You are bringing attacking midfielders and wingers to a discussion about strikers. If you are going there then yes, the likes of Chair and Willock should have scored more goals this season.

It's only stretching the conversation a little. They're players that score goals, and that's what we need. I'm not sure the delineation between strikers and attacking midfielders exists in the way it used to.

Take the point above about Szmodics, though.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:52 - Mar 30 with 1682 viewsGus_iom

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:47 - Mar 30 by kensalriser

It's only stretching the conversation a little. They're players that score goals, and that's what we need. I'm not sure the delineation between strikers and attacking midfielders exists in the way it used to.

Take the point above about Szmodics, though.

Especially if you are using your central striker as a pivot for your goal scoring wingers/midfielders to play off.
I think Dykes is the better of the 3 for bringing others into play, we look a more cohesive unit with him starting. But his last performance was pony, and I think we probably need an amicable uncoupling for both our sakes.
I really like Armstrong, and there is so much to work with with him, but our play does tend to get fractured when he's on the pitch. I imagine opposition defenders must be secretly glad when he's not about, though. His pace and power is pretty much unstoppable at our level.
Frey, I like, but I think he needs to be given time to fully adjust.
I've come to the conclusion that whoever is on the pitch, the key to our strikers/attacking players scoring is Willock. In his short bursts of form this season, our forward line has goals in it. At other times, not so much.
But I do think there is a lot more to come from Frey and Armstrong.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 22:15 - Mar 30 with 1618 viewsHastings_Hoops

Come on chaps… since January (when Marti was able to do some vague surgery on the team), we’re 7th in the form table. Pretty good to be fair. Enjoy it!
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 21:50 - Mar 31 with 1409 viewsnix

One thing I would say is that sometimes we don't pass to our strikers or midfielders in the box when we should do. There's one from Willock where he does a tame shot to the near post where a cross could have found both Field and Frey? waiting unmarked just outside the six yard box and then when Jimmy does a header to the keeper, again the near post, when if he'd just headed across the box Frey was in a good position to just head it in.

Not blaming those players this is just making the point that sometimes our strikers have got into a good position and no-one passes to them.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 22:57 - Mar 31 with 1331 viewsdavman

I've not really been paying attention to who has scored this season, I just know that our top scorer has a pathetically low total. Also, as a team, we've scored 38 League Goals in 39 games - poor by any standard, but then we absolutely knew this would be the case at the start of the season, didn't we?

I am shocked that we totalled more than 30 to be fair; I could not see where the goals were coming from back in August. They say that rarely does someone get a 20 goal season out of the blue and you know who is going to score and who isn't at the start of the season and we had no-one who was going to bag many.

The stats say:

1 Ilias Chair 5g 6a
2 Lyndon Dykes 5g 1a
3 Sinclair Armstrong 4g 3a
3 Chris Willock 4g 3a
5 Kenneth Paal 4g 1a
6 Jack Colback 3g 1a
6 Paul Smyth 3g 1a
8 Sam Field 2g 3a
9 Andre Dozzell 2g 1a
11 Joe Hodge 1g 0a
11 Michael Frey 1g 0a
11 Jimmy Dunne 1g 0a
11 Jake Clarke-Salter 1g 0a
11 Steve Cook 1g 0a

Pretty darn poor all around.
You should expect 30-35 goals from your strikers and attacking midfielders (we have 22); 15 from your midfielders (we have 8) and 10 from your defenders (we have 7).

But as I say, MUCH better than I thought it would be and we have shored up the defence somewhat...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 23:06 - Mar 31 with 1329 viewsE17hoop

Looking at L1 and there's not much either:
Alfie May - 30 years old
Colby Bishop - won't be leaving Pompey
Devante Cole - one season wonder?
Jamie Reid - less than 1 in 5 shots lead to goals
Jordan Rhodes - 34 - age not goals
Sam Hoskins - not a CF but a RW who cuts in
Chris Martin - not again

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 17:08 - Apr 1 with 1171 viewsDylanP

No doubt he works hard. But he just isn't very good. He isn't fast, he doesn't get into good positions, he doesn't do much off the ball or on the ball. So yes, he hustles up and down the field, but his impact is minimal.

Plus, he doesn't score very many

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 17:10 - Apr 1 with 1148 viewsjohncharles

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:00 - Mar 29 by mart_Goblin

All valid points and lots of truth but let’s have a day off shall we and enjoy the win for a bit

I’m with you Mart 😀

Strong and stable my arse.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 17:35 - Apr 1 with 1028 viewscpgerber

I wonder ... if Dunne turned out such a revelation at RB, perhaps another clever switch could work too: I'd have a go with Hodge up front. Probably won't provide much aerial threat, but its not like we are scoring via that route anyway. But I've liked him every time I've seen him and he might just be a better finisher than anyone else we've got.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024