Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC 09:41 - Apr 20 with 12476 viewsNotLoyal

The invincibles v The Canaries. The Canaries v The Swans. The Dessert v The Main Course. The something v The something else. It’s the Matchday Thread all the way from Eastern Anglia near Ipswich.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60091/in-form-and-in-the
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60099/david-wagner-‘-w

Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Joel Latibeaudiere, Nathan Wood, Ben Cabango, Ryan Manning; Matt Grimes (captain), Olivier Ntcham, Luke Cundle, Jamie Paterson; Liam Cullen, Joel Piroe.

Substitutes: Andreas Søndergaard, Harry Darling, Morgan Whittaker, Kyle Naughton, Matty Sorinola, Ollie Cooper, Cameron Congreve.

Norwich City: Angus Gunn, Max Aarons, Andrew Omobamidele (captain), Adam Idah, Sam McCallum, Gabriel Sara, Jacob Sørensen, Josh Sargent, Onel Hernandez, Marcelino Nunez, Liam Gibbs.

Substitutes: Tim Krul, Sam Byram, Isaac Hayden, Christos Tzolis, Teemu Pukki, Jonathan Rowe, Abu Kamara.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 19:58 - Apr 22 with 1294 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 17:37 - Apr 22 by KeithHaynes

Sometimes folks it’s possibly best just to smile and enjoy the evening, and congratulate the coaching staff and team for learning and developing a very difficult skill.

For once eh ?

Yep, far too difficult for some who would rather create non existent arguments, pretending others are belittling the win and even talking about Steve Cooper of all people.

But it’s the same after every win pretty much. Ironic as all these were wanting the owners to sack the manager not so long ago.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 19:58 - Apr 22 with 1297 viewsonehunglow

Wtf is wrong with you all
We were terrific today
Almost as great as we were abject against the likes of Brum
Our goalkeeper has been dire for most of the season
Cabango underestimated and often pilloried
Piroe magnificent
Why the feck are we not play offs

Reality

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:00 - Apr 22 with 1295 viewsmax936

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 19:19 - Apr 22 by STID2017

Hang on we were 2-0 up and cruising before the sending off.
Can't you just give credit where it is due, rather than boring us all with your pathetic stats ?
Some people are never happy

Best to take no notice, we win 3-0 at Norwich when a win at Carrow road is a rarity at best and we got one or two intent on dumbing the mood with their insignificant comments and yet they call others trolls, as I said, best ignored.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 20:03]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:00 - Apr 22 with 1286 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 19:58 - Apr 22 by onehunglow

Wtf is wrong with you all
We were terrific today
Almost as great as we were abject against the likes of Brum
Our goalkeeper has been dire for most of the season
Cabango underestimated and often pilloried
Piroe magnificent
Why the feck are we not play offs

Reality

You are right.

We are a playoff standard team without question.

Been saying it for 2 seasons now.

The narrative that these players aren’t good enough was insulting.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:01 - Apr 22 with 1278 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:00 - Apr 22 by max936

Best to take no notice, we win 3-0 at Norwich when a win at Carrow road is a rarity at best and we got one or two intent on dumbing the mood with their insignificant comments and yet they call others trolls, as I said, best ignored.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 20:03]

Best to not take notice if you don’t understand the conversation, yes.

Saves us all precious typing and reading time.

But trolls will be trolls… right max?

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:17 - Apr 22 with 1218 viewsonehunglow

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:00 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

You are right.

We are a playoff standard team without question.

Been saying it for 2 seasons now.

The narrative that these players aren’t good enough was insulting.

I seem to be a lone voice not that it bothers me
This has been another wasted opportunity
Martins fan ship has been nauseating

Even today, we could have scored six
It's about keeping opponents crushed underfoot

Next year , priority is goslkeeper

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:23 - Apr 22 with 1193 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:17 - Apr 22 by onehunglow

I seem to be a lone voice not that it bothers me
This has been another wasted opportunity
Martins fan ship has been nauseating

Even today, we could have scored six
It's about keeping opponents crushed underfoot

Next year , priority is goslkeeper

I don’t think it’s lost on anyone now that this season has been a massive waste, we are showing what we could have done with a more sensible and common sense style of play now.

Even Martinballs biggest cult leaders will know deep down what could have (and perhaps should have) been achieved this season.

It’s clear we are now playing with more width, a narrower defensive possession base, less time knocking it around the back with a switch to a back 4 with higher pressing full backs.

This is what we have to take into next season, with the an acquisition of natural wide players rather than Martin shunning them and shoehorning central players into wide positions.

Next season we should be top 6-8. We have a superb side as we are showing.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:25 - Apr 22 with 1177 viewsonehunglow

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:23 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t think it’s lost on anyone now that this season has been a massive waste, we are showing what we could have done with a more sensible and common sense style of play now.

Even Martinballs biggest cult leaders will know deep down what could have (and perhaps should have) been achieved this season.

It’s clear we are now playing with more width, a narrower defensive possession base, less time knocking it around the back with a switch to a back 4 with higher pressing full backs.

This is what we have to take into next season, with the an acquisition of natural wide players rather than Martin shunning them and shoehorning central players into wide positions.

Reading what Zi am , I disagree
Martin seems to have God like status
We have won most, not even close
The play offs are too far away
To see scum
Like mill wall and Luton there makes me sick

We are too sentimental

Login to get fewer ads

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:27 - Apr 22 with 1170 viewsWhiterockin

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:23 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

WGAF just enjoy the ride, football is always a roller coaster.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:32 - Apr 22 with 1136 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:27 - Apr 22 by Whiterockin

WGAF just enjoy the ride, football is always a roller coaster.

I’m always of the mindset to ensure the rollercoaster is as good as it can be, though.

Without learning lessons of today, you face certain failure tomorrow.

We have to realise what is working for us, what isn’t, what we are good at, what we aren’t - as it shapes how we approach next season.

We need to set expectations so we can evaluate progress. We are showing how good we are, this needs to be the standard going forward. There can be no more “the players aren’t good enough” type comments.

If we continue as we are I don’t think anyone will be unhappy.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:36 - Apr 22 with 1121 viewsploppy

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 18:50 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

The data with impactful red card games removed:

- When we don’t win, we average 65.67% possession.

- When we win, that takes a 10.7% decrease (decrease not differential for those confused).

- When we don’t win, we average 596.31 passes per game.

- When we win, that takes a similar 10.1% decrease.

That’s not to say we can’t win with high possession and that’s not to say we can’t lose with a more sensible level of possession (same for pass number).

But the point is WE DO get better results when we scale back on both.

It’s an undeniable fact.

With games that have impactful red cards (20mins or more for example) that will always be skewed upwards with it far easier to keep the ball and encouraged to pass more to seek out the extra man.

Takes bow 🙇‍♂️
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 19:04]

Have we really won 5 games where the opposition had an impactful red card (17 wins so far, you've listed 12)?
Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:39 - Apr 22 with 1112 viewsWhiterockin

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:32 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

I’m always of the mindset to ensure the rollercoaster is as good as it can be, though.

Without learning lessons of today, you face certain failure tomorrow.

We have to realise what is working for us, what isn’t, what we are good at, what we aren’t - as it shapes how we approach next season.

We need to set expectations so we can evaluate progress. We are showing how good we are, this needs to be the standard going forward. There can be no more “the players aren’t good enough” type comments.

If we continue as we are I don’t think anyone will be unhappy.

The past is the past, currently we are looking good hopefully it will continue. Enjoy the good times while we can, life is too short to dwell on the past and look for issues.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:39 - Apr 22 with 1109 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:36 - Apr 22 by ploppy

Have we really won 5 games where the opposition had an impactful red card (17 wins so far, you've listed 12)?

Not necessarily opposition, can be us too.

I’d have to check back but off the top of my head;

Norwich (a)
Blackpool (h)
Cardiff (h)
Sunderland (a)

I’ll have to find the other.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:40 - Apr 22 with 1099 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:39 - Apr 22 by Whiterockin

The past is the past, currently we are looking good hopefully it will continue. Enjoy the good times while we can, life is too short to dwell on the past and look for issues.

Indeed, but you get the most out of the future by learning lessons from the past.

Ignoring the past is foolish.

Delighted by the win, but we have to learn why we are only now starting to win. To ignore that would be negligent.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:42 - Apr 22 with 1090 viewsWhiterockin

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:40 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

Indeed, but you get the most out of the future by learning lessons from the past.

Delighted by the win, but we have to learn why we are only now starting to win. To ignore that would be negligent.

It is immaterial as long as the performances contine and we move forward.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:45 - Apr 22 with 1051 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:42 - Apr 22 by Whiterockin

It is immaterial as long as the performances contine and we move forward.

It’s not, the performances have improved presumably because we have stopped doing what didn’t work. We have done that by looking at the past fixtures.

While it’s a nice sound bite, it doesn’t really stand up to the realities of professional football, hence why the club invests so much in post game analysis and data, which is all historical.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:46 - Apr 22 with 1044 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:40 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

Having wide players pinning the opposition full backs back is making a massive difference.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:47 - Apr 22 with 1035 viewsWhiterockin

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:45 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s not, the performances have improved presumably because we have stopped doing what didn’t work. We have done that by looking at the past fixtures.

While it’s a nice sound bite, it doesn’t really stand up to the realities of professional football, hence why the club invests so much in post game analysis and data, which is all historical.

OK you carry on let the rest of us enjoy.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:48 - Apr 22 with 1022 viewsploppy

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:39 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

Not necessarily opposition, can be us too.

I’d have to check back but off the top of my head;

Norwich (a)
Blackpool (h)
Cardiff (h)
Sunderland (a)

I’ll have to find the other.

I'd be surprised if we've won a game with 10 men.

Can't think of the missing game.

BTW, any reason you've lumped draws with defeats? Draws can be good results.
Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:48 - Apr 22 with 1018 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:46 - Apr 22 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Having wide players pinning the opposition full backs back is making a massive difference.

Absolutely.

When you get into the weeds and see data such as ‘average player position’ the contrast is stark between our centrally focussed possession before this change and the wider possession seen since.

As you say having wide players keep their press back is key to this, however these changes were spoken of being needed 18 months ago.

It’s great the changes have been made now but we have to ensure we don’t go back, because we have in the past.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:51 - Apr 22 with 1001 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:48 - Apr 22 by ploppy

I'd be surprised if we've won a game with 10 men.

Can't think of the missing game.

BTW, any reason you've lumped draws with defeats? Draws can be good results.

Draw every single game, you probably get embroiled in a relegation battle on 46 points. While a draw “can” be a good result, for a team with play off ambitions, more often than not a draw is a disappointment. Football is about winning.

When we win, we have significantly less passing and possession than when we don’t.

Looks like I’ve left Preston out, which was not an impactful red.

But with 58% possession and 524 passes in that game it’s pretty immaterial to the data, it would essentially stay the same, in fact move it closer to my point in both instances (passes and possession).

It’s undeniable, truly. Not even close.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 20:59]

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 21:05 - Apr 22 with 941 viewsploppy

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 20:51 - Apr 22 by Dr_Parnassus

Draw every single game, you probably get embroiled in a relegation battle on 46 points. While a draw “can” be a good result, for a team with play off ambitions, more often than not a draw is a disappointment. Football is about winning.

When we win, we have significantly less passing and possession than when we don’t.

Looks like I’ve left Preston out, which was not an impactful red.

But with 58% possession and 524 passes in that game it’s pretty immaterial to the data, it would essentially stay the same, in fact move it closer to my point in both instances (passes and possession).

It’s undeniable, truly. Not even close.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 20:59]

I disagree about draws - especially away from home. Put them in their own column and see what it looks like.

Anyway, you should consider all data (not just passess/possession) as a function of game state. That may be more enlightening. John Mackenize at The Athletic did an interesting piece on Leeds Utd's numbers and how they appear contradictory - until you consider game state.
Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 21:09 - Apr 22 with 935 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 21:05 - Apr 22 by ploppy

I disagree about draws - especially away from home. Put them in their own column and see what it looks like.

Anyway, you should consider all data (not just passess/possession) as a function of game state. That may be more enlightening. John Mackenize at The Athletic did an interesting piece on Leeds Utd's numbers and how they appear contradictory - until you consider game state.

Nothing to disagree about, it’s simply a fact.

23 opposition teams in the league, if you have top 6 ambitions then draws by definition are disappointing more often than not. Would be pointless putting them in their own column because my point is regarding “when we win vs when we don’t”.

There is nothing else to consider on this point, the point is regarding possession and passing. It’s not a comprehensive season review, it’s a simply point that has been brought up by trolls to dispute. My data shows it’s absolutely factual.

There are many areas I could go into, such as player positions, short passes, line breaks. It’s my profession, very familiar with it.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 21:22 - Apr 22 with 880 viewsbuilthjack

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 17:37 - Apr 22 by KeithHaynes

Sometimes folks it’s possibly best just to smile and enjoy the evening, and congratulate the coaching staff and team for learning and developing a very difficult skill.

For once eh ?

Us adults know that Keith. Agree, well,done the coaching staff and team.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 21:26 - Apr 22 with 863 viewsDr_Parnassus

Norwich City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 PUB GUIDE INC on 21:22 - Apr 22 by builthjack

Us adults know that Keith. Agree, well,done the coaching staff and team.

We do indeed.

Maybe have a think about coming on board the adult train.

Plenty of room sadly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024