Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AJ tonight NON QPR 00:37 - Aug 21 with 5466 viewspaulhoop2

Anyone else watch it ?? Must be the end of the road surely

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

AJ tonight NON QPR on 00:44 - Aug 21 with 3796 viewsBenny_the_Ball

What the hell was that post-fight rant all about? Embarrassing. Frankly I can't believe 1 judge gave the fight to AJ. Joshua huffed and puffed but Usyk is a class apart. Levels!
AJ tonight NON QPR on 00:55 - Aug 21 with 3767 viewsLythamR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 00:44 - Aug 21 by Benny_the_Ball

What the hell was that post-fight rant all about? Embarrassing. Frankly I can't believe 1 judge gave the fight to AJ. Joshua huffed and puffed but Usyk is a class apart. Levels!

it was the british judge. should be thrown out of the sport

Joshua had a fair go at it, completely lost the plot afterwards, where were his entourage/management!
AJ tonight NON QPR on 01:09 - Aug 21 with 3720 viewsbosh67

Usyk is a class apart. AJ is a good fighter but Usyk is a phenomenal athlete and technician. The reality is that Fury would batter AJ like he did Wilder twice and although Usyk is a class apart from AJ he would give Fury a very good technical fight until Fury gets bored and then takes him apart as well. Tonight proved that Usyk is the only challenger for Fury and Fury would simply be too big, too clever and too good, as good as Usyk is. For me there’s simply no one to touch Fury.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 1:11]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

AJ tonight NON QPR on 06:51 - Aug 21 with 3500 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Ninth round aside, AJ didnt really bother Usyk.

AJ looked too static to really go after him in that round and couldn't follow up after that. If anything, Usyk looked more likely to drop AJ in the final third of the fight.

Im no expert, but AJ reminds me a bit of Frank Bruno; in that you can see what's coming a mile off, whereas Usyk must be a nightmare to fight.

I also have no idea what fight the rogue British judge was watching to make that a split decision.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

AJ tonight NON QPR on 07:55 - Aug 21 with 3409 viewsmikeygunn

It wasn’t the British Judge, Steve Gray, who is excellent by the way, scored it 115-112 to Usyk.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 08:00 - Aug 21 with 3401 viewstraininvain

AJ tonight NON QPR on 00:44 - Aug 21 by Benny_the_Ball

To be fair to AJ, he was probably a bit concussed after the fight. His management should’ve stopped that post fight rant. I’d still like to see him fight Wilder or Whyte if he doesn’t decide to retire.

Usyk the much better boxer over the two fights. His movement is a level beyond AJ and he’s clearly hard as nails. I think it’ll be a close fight if Fury’s prepared to come out of retirement.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 08:21 - Aug 21 with 3355 viewsDWQPR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 06:51 - Aug 21 by PlanetHonneywood

Ninth round aside, AJ didnt really bother Usyk.

AJ looked too static to really go after him in that round and couldn't follow up after that. If anything, Usyk looked more likely to drop AJ in the final third of the fight.

Im no expert, but AJ reminds me a bit of Frank Bruno; in that you can see what's coming a mile off, whereas Usyk must be a nightmare to fight.

I also have no idea what fight the rogue British judge was watching to make that a split decision.

Agreed, after he landed some great punches on Usyk and had him in real trouble he seemed for the last minute of that round to either not throw anything else either in sheer admiration of what he had done for the previous two minutes or through fear that he may raise Usyk to another level. Usyk, himself is just a phenomenon. Fury has no choice but to fight him.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

AJ tonight NON QPR on 09:13 - Aug 21 with 3245 viewspaulparker

Never rated AJ as much as the media make him out
Good fighter yes, world class never in a month of sundays , 30 years ago he wouldn’t of got into the top ten heavyweights , in-fact his level would of been fighting Herbie Hide

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

AJ tonight NON QPR on 09:45 - Aug 21 with 3170 viewsToast_R

AJ tonight NON QPR on 09:13 - Aug 21 by paulparker

Never rated AJ as much as the media make him out
Good fighter yes, world class never in a month of sundays , 30 years ago he wouldn’t of got into the top ten heavyweights , in-fact his level would of been fighting Herbie Hide

Yes let's face it, his notable win to date is really an over the hill and way passed his best Vladimir Klitschko. Alarm bells were ringing when he was comprehensively beaten by Ruiz and only won the rematch by dancing around him and doing enough to an under prepared and even more out of condition Ruiz.

"How did you (Usyk) beat me?"

It's simple Anthony, he's just a much better boxer than you mate.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 10:08 - Aug 21 with 3109 viewsbosh67

I think comparing AJ to Frank Bruno is bit insulting. He's much better fighter but he just doesn't have the hand speed or the stamina. Usyk is such a good technician. Hand speed is fantastic. A Fury Usyk fight would be a technical spectical but Fury has far too much for any of these guys and would use his size and weight to tire Usyk. As good as Usyk is, and he is very good, Fury would out box him over 12 rounds, without a shadow of a doubt.

Don't know if this link works?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

AJ tonight NON QPR on 10:35 - Aug 21 with 3040 viewsPlanetHonneywood

AJ tonight NON QPR on 10:08 - Aug 21 by bosh67

I think comparing AJ to Frank Bruno is bit insulting. He's much better fighter but he just doesn't have the hand speed or the stamina. Usyk is such a good technician. Hand speed is fantastic. A Fury Usyk fight would be a technical spectical but Fury has far too much for any of these guys and would use his size and weight to tire Usyk. As good as Usyk is, and he is very good, Fury would out box him over 12 rounds, without a shadow of a doubt.

Just so I'm clear: you say it's insulting to compare AJ and FB on the one hand, but in the next sentence you say: he doesn't have the hand speed or stamina.

Err, haven't you merely pointed to two shared weaknesses, that underpin why someone might form a view that AJ reminds them of FB?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

AJ tonight NON QPR on 10:53 - Aug 21 with 2996 viewsbosh67

AJ tonight NON QPR on 10:35 - Aug 21 by PlanetHonneywood

Just so I'm clear: you say it's insulting to compare AJ and FB on the one hand, but in the next sentence you say: he doesn't have the hand speed or stamina.

Err, haven't you merely pointed to two shared weaknesses, that underpin why someone might form a view that AJ reminds them of FB?

There's no comparison between AJ and Bruno. AJ is a better fighter all round, just not quite good enough. Bruno had tons of heart but he was a banger with very little else, much as I loved him. AJ would have demolished Bruno, it's just that right now Usyk is much better and Fury is on another planet. I don't think you can compare AJ to Bruno, apart from physique, but one point that does link the two is physique and as we have seen recently, the over muscular physique doesn't seem to give fighters stamina. Carrying too much muscle around.

Never knowingly right.

AJ tonight NON QPR on 11:08 - Aug 21 with 2959 viewsParkRoyalR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 10:53 - Aug 21 by bosh67

There's no comparison between AJ and Bruno. AJ is a better fighter all round, just not quite good enough. Bruno had tons of heart but he was a banger with very little else, much as I loved him. AJ would have demolished Bruno, it's just that right now Usyk is much better and Fury is on another planet. I don't think you can compare AJ to Bruno, apart from physique, but one point that does link the two is physique and as we have seen recently, the over muscular physique doesn't seem to give fighters stamina. Carrying too much muscle around.

AJ is a very poor boxer and not a natural fighter,

At no point did he have Uysk in trouble last night, a couple of good body shots and one decent head shot in 12 rounds,

Sky / Hearn commentary was so laughably biased it was downright fraudulent, they were watching a completely different fight to everyone else, trying to say it was close going into Round 10, when it was clear as day 8-2 in rounds, just beyond belief, Adam Smith is completely inept, Macklin not much better.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 12:31 - Aug 21 with 2842 viewspaulparker

AJ tonight NON QPR on 11:08 - Aug 21 by ParkRoyalR

AJ is a very poor boxer and not a natural fighter,

At no point did he have Uysk in trouble last night, a couple of good body shots and one decent head shot in 12 rounds,

Sky / Hearn commentary was so laughably biased it was downright fraudulent, they were watching a completely different fight to everyone else, trying to say it was close going into Round 10, when it was clear as day 8-2 in rounds, just beyond belief, Adam Smith is completely inept, Macklin not much better.

SKYs boxing coverage is worst than their football coverage imo and that’s saying something, Adam Smith is terrible as a commentator, SKY have built a myth around AJ and have actually brainwashed people to think he is world class , the good thing about last night is that the Eddie Hearn gravy train might be over and that we never have to listen to sweet Caroline anymore

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

AJ tonight NON QPR on 12:42 - Aug 21 with 2812 viewsParkRoyalR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 12:31 - Aug 21 by paulparker

SKYs boxing coverage is worst than their football coverage imo and that’s saying something, Adam Smith is terrible as a commentator, SKY have built a myth around AJ and have actually brainwashed people to think he is world class , the good thing about last night is that the Eddie Hearn gravy train might be over and that we never have to listen to sweet Caroline anymore

100% agree, that Adam Smith commentary is really worth a re-watch, and like that judge who scored it to Joshua, neither should be let near a boxing ring again.

Every Joshua missed punch was greeted as if it was a Povetkin Whyte upper cut and every immediate counter from Uysk which hit the button was completely ignored.

I think Hearn like a few others, not going into politics, has worked out most people need to feel they are winners or backing a winner and if you tell them that, regardless of all the evidence, they'll believe it.

Joshua got yet another boxing lesson last night and even in his much vaunted 9th round, missed with 80 or 90% of his punches and Uysk weathered that attack so easy and just boxed the head off in him the next round. Absolute levels above.

Only positive from Sky commentary was Frazer Clarke what an absolute top bloke, stood out amongst the usual Sky patsies like Nelson and told it straight but in a very respectful way, bloke is a class act.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 12:56 - Aug 21 with 2801 viewsdaveB

I thought one of his team should have stopped him but he was clearly really upset at losing, he put everything into it, you could see in the press confrence he was emotional and devestated. His corner didn't help telling him he was winning all the way through when he clearly wasn't, was a lot closer than last time though

I thought he did quite well against a real great of the sport, Usyks movement was just too good, struggled to land anything but he had him in real trouble in the 9th and though a few of those body shots he claimed were low blows were not and he cleverly bought himself a few seconds

He gets a lot of stick but think he's had a great career really, not took any easy fights for years and made the most of his ability. I hope he continues some great fights out there for him such as Whyte and Wilder, I'd still like to see him fight Fury as well although he'd get beat in that one. Mentally though he needs a break, the last few years have taken a real toll on him
AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:27 - Aug 21 with 2746 viewsBenny_the_Ball

AJ tonight NON QPR on 09:45 - Aug 21 by Toast_R

Yes let's face it, his notable win to date is really an over the hill and way passed his best Vladimir Klitschko. Alarm bells were ringing when he was comprehensively beaten by Ruiz and only won the rematch by dancing around him and doing enough to an under prepared and even more out of condition Ruiz.

"How did you (Usyk) beat me?"

It's simple Anthony, he's just a much better boxer than you mate.

To be fair, it was a rhetorical question. AJ goes on to say that Usyk beat him with skills and those skills outweighed AJ's heart.

Still, AJ's team should've calmed him down and stopped him from ranting. Throwing the belts out of the ring was petulant and frankly embarrassing.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:31 - Aug 21 with 2741 viewsDannytheR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 12:56 - Aug 21 by daveB

I thought one of his team should have stopped him but he was clearly really upset at losing, he put everything into it, you could see in the press confrence he was emotional and devestated. His corner didn't help telling him he was winning all the way through when he clearly wasn't, was a lot closer than last time though

I thought he did quite well against a real great of the sport, Usyks movement was just too good, struggled to land anything but he had him in real trouble in the 9th and though a few of those body shots he claimed were low blows were not and he cleverly bought himself a few seconds

He gets a lot of stick but think he's had a great career really, not took any easy fights for years and made the most of his ability. I hope he continues some great fights out there for him such as Whyte and Wilder, I'd still like to see him fight Fury as well although he'd get beat in that one. Mentally though he needs a break, the last few years have taken a real toll on him

Yeah, very much agree with this. When you think back to how Bruno was nursemaided through his whole career, or how Audley Harrison was built up as a realistic contender, the hostility/I Told You Sos about Joshua are just weird. (And almost all of them from people who won't have ever set foot in a boxing ring, of course.)

His rant last night was a bit embarrassing, but he wasn't wrong. Despite the Olympics, he had barely had more of an amateur career than someone like Whyte (who gets marketed as some kind of self-taught street fighter). So his whole career has been a learning curve - and he hasn't ducked challenges along the way.

Would have been a lot easier for him to have let the Usyk rematch go by, and beaten up Joe Joyce or Chisora instead for £££, but he backed himself to win against a phenomenon of a boxer.

Think Usyk will give Fury a far harder fight than many people reckon. As for Joshua, if he can keep his head together, he still handily beats any other heavyweight bar those two. (Think the Wilder fight is literally a question of which of them lands first.)
AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:33 - Aug 21 with 2737 viewsBenny_the_Ball

AJ tonight NON QPR on 10:08 - Aug 21 by bosh67

Fury v Usyk would be an interesting bout given both have good movement, ring nous and technical skills. However, I agree that a fit and focussed Fury is the best in the division. I hope he comes out of 'retirement' to unify the belts. That would be the ultimate way for Tyson to leave the sport; undefeated and undisputed.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:35 - Aug 21 with 2732 viewsdanehoop

I think some of the problem came from his corner. They were telling after 3 rounds that he had one every one of them, when the reality was he had at best drawn them. He would have felt because of his corner reinforcing the idea that he was up and winning through much of the remainder of the contest.

Watching back he may have a different view (he is normally a pretty decent and objective man, hence the general surprise about his rant) as he simply didnt do enough. I think again his corner got the tactics wrong on this fight, he was comparatively slow at the outset letting Uysk do more and look busier. He failed to meaningfully use his size, reach and, most tellingly power, for any significant period of the fight. With a busy fast handed fighter like Uysk that will make it a tough ask.

It was interesting that AJ tried to go to the body, presumably to slow Uysk down, but again that often seemed to be too little of that and not enough combinations/follow up. I was pretty disappointed overall with him as think he is (and has shown himself previously to be a much better fighter than that). Tactically he struggles against smaller boxers with fast hands/strong technique, and I think that seems to make him a less certain and he tends to back off them, which with a busy fighter like Uysk is a mistake.

Hope he comes back and get himself with a better suited trainer as I think its crying out for someone more able to get him more mobile and make better use his strengths than Garcia managed. Perhaps that lack of experience of training heavyweights contributed to the approach in this one?

Never knowingly understood

AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:50 - Aug 21 with 2712 viewsParkRoyalR

Chisora a much smaller heavyweight not considered an elite fighter gave Uysk a much sterner test as he is a better boxer and far braver than AJ,

Chisora showed how to beat Uysk but AJ whilst he likes hitting people and smiles and gloats at his opponent at the end of the rounds when he thinks he's on top, just does not like getting punched back which was why over 24 rounds he was so tentative despite being the much bigger man.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:55 - Aug 21 with 2703 viewsDannytheR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:50 - Aug 21 by ParkRoyalR

Chisora a much smaller heavyweight not considered an elite fighter gave Uysk a much sterner test as he is a better boxer and far braver than AJ,

Chisora showed how to beat Uysk but AJ whilst he likes hitting people and smiles and gloats at his opponent at the end of the rounds when he thinks he's on top, just does not like getting punched back which was why over 24 rounds he was so tentative despite being the much bigger man.

Stick to Twitter.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 14:07 - Aug 21 with 2674 viewsParkRoyalR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:55 - Aug 21 by DannytheR

Stick to Twitter.

Or maybe you can explain why AJ failed to take the fight inside and use his considerable weight + size advantages?

Chisora did, despite Uysk's good movement, because he is prepared to take a punch to land one, AJ isn't, and so predictably lost a fight in which he landed maybe a couple of decent head-shots and maybe half dozen decent body shots, and that's being generous.
AJ tonight NON QPR on 15:13 - Aug 21 with 2588 viewsdaveB

AJ tonight NON QPR on 13:50 - Aug 21 by ParkRoyalR

leave off mate, Chisora is not better than AJ, he was outclassed by Usyk as well and loses almost every time he's faced anyone decent
AJ tonight NON QPR on 16:35 - Aug 21 with 2497 viewsParkRoyalR

AJ tonight NON QPR on 15:13 - Aug 21 by daveB

leave off mate, Chisora is not better than AJ, he was outclassed by Usyk as well and loses almost every time he's faced anyone decent

Chisora, imo, is a better boxer than AJ (far better footwork & range of shots), now that's my opinion, size being the difference, again imo

What i think is without doubt is that Chisora gave Uysk a much sterner test, put him under sustained pressure over a number of rounds and came much closer to stopping him than Joshua did,

If you re-watch Round 9 last night, AJ landed very very few shots, if you watch any of the early rounds before Chisora tired, he rocks Uysk on a number of occasions and Usyk was hanging on,

Chisora was able to do this as unlike Joshua he does'nt mind being hit, and when he is, he does'nt freeze like Joshua does,

Fury, who is someone who knows a lot about boxing (unlike Adam Smith or Eddie Hearn) has always had Joshua down as a big stiff and so its been proved.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024