Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? 08:57 - May 13 with 8342 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:35 - May 13 with 5296 viewsWhiterockin

Wrong question to ask.

Of course I want us to qualify for Europe and finish as high up the league as possible.

But would I rather we were not in Europe next season, yes.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:51 - May 13 with 5267 viewsSwan91

ofcourse! I really enjoyed when we were playing European football last time and I would love to travel to different countries if we do qualify.

another thing to look at is european football could be one of the deciding factors when it comes to keeping our key players and also bringing new players in.

the fact that we wont bring players in just because of the manager(like laudrup) means that monk will not have a problem rotating the squad around to keep everyone from playing too many games.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:58 - May 13 with 5245 viewsraynor94

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:35 - May 13 by Whiterockin

Wrong question to ask.

Of course I want us to qualify for Europe and finish as high up the league as possible.

And that is the answer to the question, massive season next year, more than happy to consolidate our top eight finish without distractions

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:58 - May 13 with 5242 viewsDewi1jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:35 - May 13 by Whiterockin

Wrong question to ask.

May I ask your reasons for not wanting to play in Europe? Are they the normal- playing Thursday and Sunday, teams our size struggle with the demands and run the risk of relegation?

Mine for are the normal. Attract better players again (the PL can be enough of an attraction, but all the better players want Euro competition.) Play and beat the best, thrill of the competition (same as the FA cup/ League cup), visiting different grounds/ meeting their fans, raising the clubs' profile even further, making our Eastern cousins seethe and rage with jealousy.

Not having a pop WR, just trying to understand a different opinion. There may be a reason I haven't thought of.
Although I would prefer to be watching us playing PL football, if I have to go back to watching us in the lower leagues then so be it.
Maybe because the money the season after is going beyond stupid, then next year isn't the one to try Europe in. We have a good squad now (bit thin in a few places) and 2 transfer windows to play with. Good strengthening and we should be ok on 2 fronts- think 3 or 4 is beyond us at the present time.
1 question I can't answer is, would I like us to win the Europa/ FA cup and become yet another team relegated?
That one I sit right on the fence getting splinters for.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:15 - May 13 with 5193 viewsWhiterockin

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:58 - May 13 by Dewi1jack

May I ask your reasons for not wanting to play in Europe? Are they the normal- playing Thursday and Sunday, teams our size struggle with the demands and run the risk of relegation?

Mine for are the normal. Attract better players again (the PL can be enough of an attraction, but all the better players want Euro competition.) Play and beat the best, thrill of the competition (same as the FA cup/ League cup), visiting different grounds/ meeting their fans, raising the clubs' profile even further, making our Eastern cousins seethe and rage with jealousy.

Not having a pop WR, just trying to understand a different opinion. There may be a reason I haven't thought of.
Although I would prefer to be watching us playing PL football, if I have to go back to watching us in the lower leagues then so be it.
Maybe because the money the season after is going beyond stupid, then next year isn't the one to try Europe in. We have a good squad now (bit thin in a few places) and 2 transfer windows to play with. Good strengthening and we should be ok on 2 fronts- think 3 or 4 is beyond us at the present time.
1 question I can't answer is, would I like us to win the Europa/ FA cup and become yet another team relegated?

Only my opinion.

Next season could well be the most important for clubs to stay in the Premier League for reasons that everyone knows. Clubs may well overstretch themselves financially or take a risk, this is not our way of doing things and we always work to a budget. I expect all teams to have a higher quality starting 11 to just stand still. If we qualify for Europe we will need a larger squad, I would rather that the money is spent on our starting 11 and improving the quality there.

We are also committed to spending on the training facilities and academy structure building for the future. This does not take into account expansion and possible stadium purchase.

I just feel there is not enough money in the pot to expand the squad with enough quality on 2 fronts. Another approach could be to play the reserves in Europe. But how would supporters feel if the had spent a considerable amount of time and money to travel away, to find out when the team is announced that there are no first team regulars in the team.

As I say just my thoughts and I am open to be ripped apart.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:23 - May 13 with 5179 viewsPrivate_Partz

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:58 - May 13 by Dewi1jack

I can see where the doubters are coming from. They are worried that clubs of our size historically struggle with European competition. Mainly due to number of matches played resulting in injuries and lack of form due to tired players.
ML's last game against West Ham was an example. The manager was roundly blamed for the poor performance that day but it was forgotten that we had played four games in nine days.
This is the danger and it could threaten our Premier League status if we again face unprecedented injuries.
Despite all that I cannot agree. We must strive to achieve the absolute best we can. We have crap reserve team competition and the early rounds can give them competitive footbal and keep them up to speed. Also it provides competitive pre season matches. We would seriously have to consider pulling out of Texas in such a scenario.
A few players that are close to being shown the door would need to be kept on plus we would need a few more signings.
I belive with the right rotation and management we can run with European football.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:29 - May 13 with 5161 viewsDewi1jack

Wasn't having a go WR, honestly.
And truthfully I'd forgotten about the ongoing costs of the academy/ training facility building. Had factored in buying the stadium when we were first promoted!
We could do with a few players in a few positions, but the right, youngish players with the hunger to reach the very top of the game could easily overcome the cost of high wages/ transfer fees. Some out there must be willing to take a short term hit for a long term gain (or am I just a tad naive?)
It's really good to hear someone else's opinion mate. Makes me think about things more

Edit.
Have just read Private partz reply and have to disagree with this statement
"A few players that are close to being shown the door would need to be kept on"

These players for whatever reason ( disruptive to the squad/ not good enough etc) still have to go.
That frees up wages/ squad numbers.
The only way I'd agree with you is if we actually needed 1 "home grown" player to make the numbers- sort of keeping Alan Tate (or someone) as number 25 in the squad
[Post edited 13 May 2015 10:36]

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:41 - May 13 with 5132 viewsWhiterockin

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:29 - May 13 by Dewi1jack

Wasn't having a go WR, honestly.
And truthfully I'd forgotten about the ongoing costs of the academy/ training facility building. Had factored in buying the stadium when we were first promoted!
We could do with a few players in a few positions, but the right, youngish players with the hunger to reach the very top of the game could easily overcome the cost of high wages/ transfer fees. Some out there must be willing to take a short term hit for a long term gain (or am I just a tad naive?)
It's really good to hear someone else's opinion mate. Makes me think about things more

Edit.
Have just read Private partz reply and have to disagree with this statement
"A few players that are close to being shown the door would need to be kept on"

These players for whatever reason ( disruptive to the squad/ not good enough etc) still have to go.
That frees up wages/ squad numbers.
The only way I'd agree with you is if we actually needed 1 "home grown" player to make the numbers- sort of keeping Alan Tate (or someone) as number 25 in the squad
[Post edited 13 May 2015 10:36]

No offence taken. I like everybody else want club to be the best it can possibly be, if that takes a little longer so be it.
Login to get fewer ads

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:44 - May 13 with 5123 viewsDr_Winston

We should be better placed to deal with it next season than we were in 13/14, so yes. Absolutely 100%.

Or Leanne Wood.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:16 - May 13 with 5077 viewsJBT95

With a full pre-season for the likes of Montero, Fernandez, Naughton, Cork etc with us, any new signings too, imagine what we could be capable of next year? If we are not in Europe we could seriously push on next season. Huw's dream to play in the CL? Why can't we be in it for 2016/17?

The first half of this season we dropped points all over the place, Stoke away, Southampton/Newcastle/Palace/Spurs home. We are unlucky to get beaten at the Ethihad too. The second half of this season we have been more much consistent. Even the Leicester game we could have nicked a point and we should have beaten Liverpool down at the Liberty.
[Post edited 13 May 2015 11:19]
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:37 - May 13 with 5037 viewspencoedjack

I would imagine the majority who voted no did not travel away to Europa league games.

I'd be amazed if someone who was in the Mestalla seeing us win 3-0 would vote against it.

There will be at least 5 teams in the PL next season who if we played double the amount of games we would still finish above.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:47 - May 13 with 5023 viewsairedale

No from me. I want to guarantee survival next season. I think that after next season, the money involved will make it very difficult fornew PL clubs to survive, which translates as PL safety and continuation for SCFC.

When we have the big bucks and can afford a larger squad, then by all means go for everything.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:59 - May 13 with 4992 viewsmacthejack

I take the same view as Garry Monk. Keep trying to win every game and what will be will be. Being in Europe and not being in Europe have their pros and cons so I would be happy with either really.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 12:48 - May 13 with 4903 viewsC_jack

A whole summer ahead moaning about this competition, hopefully.There is no clear correlation between Europa League participation and domestic league performance.

Not to mention if we come 6th then we'll enter the competition at a far more manageable time than we did when we won the COC
[Post edited 13 May 2015 12:49]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 12:57 - May 13 with 4877 viewsC_jack

I also can't believe that with a guaranteed top 9 finish, people are mentioning the word SURVIVAL next season, especially with the calibre of teams coming up.

It doesn't make you a billy big bollox fan to expect to stay in this league comfortably next season, regardless of EL participation or not.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 13:07 - May 13 with 4846 viewsBorojack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 12:57 - May 13 by C_jack

I also can't believe that with a guaranteed top 9 finish, people are mentioning the word SURVIVAL next season, especially with the calibre of teams coming up.

It doesn't make you a billy big bollox fan to expect to stay in this league comfortably next season, regardless of EL participation or not.

A big yes from me we are 8th in the Premier League have completed the double over Man U and Arsenal and people are worried about relegation.
If it comes along go for it.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 13:38 - May 13 with 4805 viewsDewi1jack

Fulham got to the final (2008 or 2009ish?)
Comparatively similar size team to us, before their board went stupid and hired 3 or 4 managers in a season- sort of like Crapduff on acid.
The lure of Europa league football and the coverage it brings, provides an excellent springboard to those players looking to move to the top end clubs, sometime in their career. If they are determined, then wages won't come into it (providing the wages are not a million miles off), just the chance to play against the top players week in week out (PL most weeks, later stages of the EL) should be enough.
On the other hand, I fully understand the fear of relegation and missing out on the crazy money that's coming up on offer.
I personally think it would do more good than bad, providing we have learnt from ML's attempt at the EL.
The club couldn't afford to go "on the beach" again in Feb or March and we may not be so lucky if we were to then sack Garry and hope a new bloke could lift the team, as happened previously.
Opinions heh?
None are always 100% right or wrong , but most are good.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:13 - May 13 with 4745 viewsbathgatejack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 13:38 - May 13 by Dewi1jack

Fulham got to the final (2008 or 2009ish?)
Comparatively similar size team to us, before their board went stupid and hired 3 or 4 managers in a season- sort of like Crapduff on acid.
The lure of Europa league football and the coverage it brings, provides an excellent springboard to those players looking to move to the top end clubs, sometime in their career. If they are determined, then wages won't come into it (providing the wages are not a million miles off), just the chance to play against the top players week in week out (PL most weeks, later stages of the EL) should be enough.
On the other hand, I fully understand the fear of relegation and missing out on the crazy money that's coming up on offer.
I personally think it would do more good than bad, providing we have learnt from ML's attempt at the EL.
The club couldn't afford to go "on the beach" again in Feb or March and we may not be so lucky if we were to then sack Garry and hope a new bloke could lift the team, as happened previously.
Opinions heh?
None are always 100% right or wrong , but most are good.

were not fulham you crazy horse.huw is a very wise chairman .with every thing carefully thought through
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:25 - May 13 with 4716 viewsraynor94

Ask any fans of the English teams who have qualified and it will be a resounding negative response, it's great for jolly boys outings, but it don't half affect the players

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:28 - May 13 with 4708 viewsC_jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:25 - May 13 by raynor94

Ask any fans of the English teams who have qualified and it will be a resounding negative response, it's great for jolly boys outings, but it don't half affect the players

Only when they lose. It's the quintessential scapegoat.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:29 - May 13 with 4704 viewssnork44

One of the reasons we struggled in the season we played European football was Laudrups insane fixation with having a small squad, in a normal season I could understand it, but when any team is playing in four competitions you need a full 25 man squad. As Monk said ' what will be,will be !' , secretly he will be hoping not to have the extra work, but at the same time if you have momentum just go with it and see where it takes us. As one poster said Europa league will keep the important players here and it will make the job of attracting the players we want a hell of a lot easier.
[Post edited 13 May 2015 14:30]

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:31 - May 13 with 4696 viewsbathgatejack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:25 - May 13 by raynor94

thats what they get paid for. im a supporter that travells from edinburgh and i want europa league.id rather finish 17th next season having had europa league again than 9th-10th in the p/l fact.bring it on.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:31 - May 13 with 4695 viewsC_jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:29 - May 13 by snork44

One of the reasons we struggled in the season we played European football was Laudrups insane fixation with having a small squad, in a normal season I could understand it, but when any team is playing in four competitions you need a full 25 man squad. As Monk said ' what will be,will be !' , secretly he will be hoping not to have the extra work, but at the same time if you have momentum just go with it and see where it takes us. As one poster said Europa league will keep the important players here and it will make the job of attracting the players we want a hell of a lot easier.
[Post edited 13 May 2015 14:30]

Myth.. Laudrup had a squad of near 30 players.

The opinion seems to be that we can't win it, so what's the point. Well bloody hell, we might as well go back to League One then.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:33 - May 13 with 4691 viewsbathgatejack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:31 - May 13 by C_jack

The opinion seems to be that we can't win it, so what's the point. Well bloody hell, we might as well go back to League One then.

well said buddy
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:49 - May 13 with 4663 viewsraynor94

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:31 - May 13 by C_jack

What a daft generalisation, if the format was like the old days of knock out over two legs great, but this group business is a waste of space, plus the pre season tour would have to be knocked on the head

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024