Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! 10:36 - Sep 5 with 12608 viewssomersetsimon

I agree that Ki is better when he plays further forward, but this article is tad over-enthusiastic!
Has anyone ever seen him take a set-piece?

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/09/05/look-no-further-swansea-city-already-have-t
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 09:06 - Sep 7 with 3069 viewsSenhin

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 08:54 - Sep 7 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes and now compare him to Fer.

Fer who was playing a different role you mean?

Let's compare them when they play the same role. I'm not saying Ki will be better. He definitely won't be better or the same as Sigurdson, but I still don't quite understand some of the criticism Ki gets. He is inconsistent sure, and doesn't get as stuck in as some other players, but he isn't awful like lots make out. He has had some really good games here, and maybe playing further forward would help him as he seemed further forward in his great season here.

During the laudrup time here Ki was used in exactly the same role as Leon, having just made the step up from a pub league to the premier league and he did fine. He didn't set the world alight, but it was baffling watching a game where Leon started and plays his usual game keeping possession and moving the ball around sideways and relieving pressure for the defence by making himself open for the pass getting rounds of applause all the time. Then he would get substituted for Ki and he'd come on and do exactly the same thing, with just as much accuracy and people would start kicking off and complaining about side passes when they were just applauding Leon for the same. I'm also not saying Ki is as good as Leon at that, I love Leon and even at his age now is put him on the teamsheet first whenever he is fit enough... but Ki wasn't a million miles behind and somehow deserving of constant complaints.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 9:38]

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 13:10 - Sep 7 with 3008 viewsItchySphincter

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 09:06 - Sep 7 by Senhin

Let's compare them when they play the same role. I'm not saying Ki will be better. He definitely won't be better or the same as Sigurdson, but I still don't quite understand some of the criticism Ki gets. He is inconsistent sure, and doesn't get as stuck in as some other players, but he isn't awful like lots make out. He has had some really good games here, and maybe playing further forward would help him as he seemed further forward in his great season here.

During the laudrup time here Ki was used in exactly the same role as Leon, having just made the step up from a pub league to the premier league and he did fine. He didn't set the world alight, but it was baffling watching a game where Leon started and plays his usual game keeping possession and moving the ball around sideways and relieving pressure for the defence by making himself open for the pass getting rounds of applause all the time. Then he would get substituted for Ki and he'd come on and do exactly the same thing, with just as much accuracy and people would start kicking off and complaining about side passes when they were just applauding Leon for the same. I'm also not saying Ki is as good as Leon at that, I love Leon and even at his age now is put him on the teamsheet first whenever he is fit enough... but Ki wasn't a million miles behind and somehow deserving of constant complaints.

He's shite.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 13:58 - Sep 7 with 2982 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 13:10 - Sep 7 by ItchySphincter

He's shite.

I wouldn't say he was shite exactly, just a lightweight version of the others.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:00 - Sep 7 with 2979 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So if Fer was in a different role, how come his defensive abilities and Attacking abilities were so much better than Ki's.
Maybe it was because he was doing his job as well as Ki's.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:08 - Sep 7 with 2975 viewsjack247

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:00 - Sep 7 by A_Fans_Dad

So if Fer was in a different role, how come his defensive abilities and Attacking abilities were so much better than Ki's.
Maybe it was because he was doing his job as well as Ki's.

Fer's defensive capabilities are not better than Ki's, no matter what stats tell you. He is a liability because he switches off and makes silly mistakes. He is the better player attacking wise.

I would have thought both will get game time, but neither will be regular starters now we have added Clucas and Sanches.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:09 - Sep 7 with 2972 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:08 - Sep 7 by jack247

Fer's defensive capabilities are not better than Ki's, no matter what stats tell you. He is a liability because he switches off and makes silly mistakes. He is the better player attacking wise.

I would have thought both will get game time, but neither will be regular starters now we have added Clucas and Sanches.

As usual that is just your opinion.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:35 - Sep 7 with 2956 viewsjack247

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:09 - Sep 7 by A_Fans_Dad

As usual that is just your opinion.

At least it is an opinion though and it's based on watching them both play, as opposed to numbers on a website.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:39 - Sep 7 with 2952 viewsGriffting

If you look at Ki and Fer average per 90 minutes it's actually pretty even.
Both have different qualities to offer and both are welcome in my book.
Login to get fewer ads

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 15:43 - Sep 7 with 2911 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:39 - Sep 7 by Griffting

If you look at Ki and Fer average per 90 minutes it's actually pretty even.
Both have different qualities to offer and both are welcome in my book.

In what way does it change the success percentages?
You are correct when you say "Both have different qualities to offer", but based on the data Fer has a more of them, as he is good both defensively and in attack.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 15:48 - Sep 7 with 2903 viewsjasper_T

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 15:43 - Sep 7 by A_Fans_Dad

In what way does it change the success percentages?
You are correct when you say "Both have different qualities to offer", but based on the data Fer has a more of them, as he is good both defensively and in attack.

He's shite.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 15:58 - Sep 7 with 2901 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 14:35 - Sep 7 by jack247

At least it is an opinion though and it's based on watching them both play, as opposed to numbers on a website.

Oh, so the rest of us that disagree with you haven't seen them play then?
You obviously see Ki making tackles, winning aerial duels, making clearances and scoring goals that the stats people and the rest of us missed.
I have backed up my opinion after watching them by using stats.
Ki is a very tidy player, who lacked motivation for a lot of last season and doesn't help the defence as much as he should.

Funny we get the same arguments about Routledge, he also has some magical property that makes up for all his shortcomings as well.
Making the odd mistakes when trying is no where near as bad as allowing the defence to be overrun because you do not put in the effort.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 16:00]
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 16:54 - Sep 7 with 2867 viewsjack247

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 15:58 - Sep 7 by A_Fans_Dad

Oh, so the rest of us that disagree with you haven't seen them play then?
You obviously see Ki making tackles, winning aerial duels, making clearances and scoring goals that the stats people and the rest of us missed.
I have backed up my opinion after watching them by using stats.
Ki is a very tidy player, who lacked motivation for a lot of last season and doesn't help the defence as much as he should.

Funny we get the same arguments about Routledge, he also has some magical property that makes up for all his shortcomings as well.
Making the odd mistakes when trying is no where near as bad as allowing the defence to be overrun because you do not put in the effort.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 16:00]

There is a big difference between watching them play and watching them play on tv. It's why Chris Coleman and Gareth Southgate will probably be at Prem games this weekend.

Ki, very much like Routledge actually, knows what he is supposed to be doing and where he is supposed to be. That is a massive part of being a defensive midfielder. The argument isn't that Ki is brilliant in that position, as you say, he is a bit of a bottler. It was never that Routledge was a world class winger, it was that he was better than Montero and Barrow.

You have seen what's happened to those two, Fer is different because he is very good further up the pitch with less defensive responsibility and more licence to try to make things happen. I'd be amazed if he ever got given the holding role though, even in an emergency I'd expect Bartley, VdH or even Rangel to play there ahead of him.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 17:55 - Sep 7 with 2836 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 16:54 - Sep 7 by jack247

There is a big difference between watching them play and watching them play on tv. It's why Chris Coleman and Gareth Southgate will probably be at Prem games this weekend.

Ki, very much like Routledge actually, knows what he is supposed to be doing and where he is supposed to be. That is a massive part of being a defensive midfielder. The argument isn't that Ki is brilliant in that position, as you say, he is a bit of a bottler. It was never that Routledge was a world class winger, it was that he was better than Montero and Barrow.

You have seen what's happened to those two, Fer is different because he is very good further up the pitch with less defensive responsibility and more licence to try to make things happen. I'd be amazed if he ever got given the holding role though, even in an emergency I'd expect Bartley, VdH or even Rangel to play there ahead of him.

Again you are assuming that as I only watch the Swans on TV that all the other fans that do not rate Ki as highly as you also only watch on TV.
You said "Ki, very much like Routledge actually, knows what he is supposed to be doing and where he is supposed to be.", but the problem is he may be there, but he doesn't actually do what he is supposed to do, even though he knows what it is he is supposed to do. ie Tackle, Block or Throw his Body on the line.
As you say he would be better in the Sigi role where he isn't expected to do those 3 things, the only problem is he doesn't have Sigi's most important attributes in that role, mainly Crosses, shooting accuracy and power of shot.
It will be interesting to see if PC agrees with you as he rates him highly and plays him as AM and then we will see how well he copes with that role
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 18:17 - Sep 7 with 2818 viewsjack247

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 17:55 - Sep 7 by A_Fans_Dad

Again you are assuming that as I only watch the Swans on TV that all the other fans that do not rate Ki as highly as you also only watch on TV.
You said "Ki, very much like Routledge actually, knows what he is supposed to be doing and where he is supposed to be.", but the problem is he may be there, but he doesn't actually do what he is supposed to do, even though he knows what it is he is supposed to do. ie Tackle, Block or Throw his Body on the line.
As you say he would be better in the Sigi role where he isn't expected to do those 3 things, the only problem is he doesn't have Sigi's most important attributes in that role, mainly Crosses, shooting accuracy and power of shot.
It will be interesting to see if PC agrees with you as he rates him highly and plays him as AM and then we will see how well he copes with that role

I'm not assuming you only watch matches on tv, you have often said you do.

I've already said I prefer Fer to Ki in the AM role, it was in my first post. The bit I'm disagreeing with is your assertion that he is a better defensive midfielder as well.

All about opinions I guess, yours is that Fer is better than Ki defensively. I can't agree with that. Watch Fer off the ball for a bit and you'll see where I'm coming from.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 20:25 - Sep 7 with 2794 viewsItchySphincter

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 15:48 - Sep 7 by jasper_T

He's shite.

You're getting him muddled up with Ki.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 21:13 - Sep 7 with 2782 viewsjasper_T

Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 20:25 - Sep 7 by ItchySphincter

You're getting him muddled up with Ki.

My eyesight's not that bad yet. I can still read the back of the shirts.
Ki is the replacement for Gylfi?! on 21:45 - Sep 7 with 2777 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

By Jove what an absolutely outstanding post .

Have an up arrow

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024