Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 16:02 - Mar 25 with 17925 viewsozranger

Came off the bench with over 30 to go against Cyprus today when Adams went down. Played well and gave a good assist for the second goal. Worked well with his teammates. Many touches and strength quite decent and hopefully he can get back to full playing. With the same quality around him - Chair and Willock - I feel a lot more confident about our near future.

Pretty sure, unless Adams makes a good recovery, he will start against Spain on Tuesday evening.
Dykes on 16:08 - Mar 25 with 7667 viewsW12Mikey

In my opinion a much-underrated player. Not a prolific goal scorer, but both QPR and Scotland do better when he plays. Always gives his all and I’m in awe of how he has come back from being so unwell in January to playing at this level before the end of March.
Dykes on 16:35 - Mar 25 with 7536 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Never going to get 20+ in a season, but he creates space for others to grab the glory, a bit like Colin Clarke.
Unfortunately, he has been left isolated to often due to zero midfielders running beyond him or unable to get within 10 yards of him. The service from the wide areas has been shockingly bad as well.
I think we have missed him a hell of a lot.
Dykes on 16:37 - Mar 25 with 7494 viewsLblock

Divides opinion.

We need him -- but we need the version in a Jock shirt rather than what we've seen so far bar a few flashes.

Agree he'll never be prolific and needs a foil playing off of him.

With another 20% of development we could even make a bit of profit on him but sadly I feel he'll be the latest in a long list we'll take a bath on.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dykes on 16:52 - Mar 25 with 7471 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Akindykeswa
Dykes on 16:53 - Mar 25 with 7472 viewsozranger

Dykes on 16:37 - Mar 25 by Lblock

Divides opinion.

We need him -- but we need the version in a Jock shirt rather than what we've seen so far bar a few flashes.

With another 20% of development we could even make a bit of profit on him but sadly I feel he'll be the latest in a long list we'll take a bath on.

The version in a jock shirt is not that much different to the one in blue and white hoops. It is more, as just stated, what he has around him. That is what is the big difference and why it appears to you that he plays better in a Jock shirt. You put a 100% Chair and Willock running off him and not wandering away, which was something that Willock was continuously doing, and then Dykes can be very useful. His hold-up play and touches have also improved no end since we first saw him and that means bringing in players in others is what he does best.

Yes, he will never be prolific which, as you correctly say divides opinion, but he is also still coming back from illness and trying to get fully fit and these two games will probably be good for us in giving him more game time to get back to being that better player.

That said, I do think he lacks the "edge" that is required of a striker. His placement for crosses has not been good of late and I think he is trying too much when he should let himself play and be instinctive instead of reactive. Charlie was great at that and was trying to instil that in him and perhaps now someone needs to talk to him about that.
Dykes on 16:59 - Mar 25 with 7433 viewsLanhoop

Not sure why anyone would need to turn a little bit of praise for a decent cameo off the bench into yet another thread criticising the bloke. Just seems unnecessary to me
Dykes on 17:45 - Mar 25 with 7255 viewsJuzzie

Dykes on 16:59 - Mar 25 by Lanhoop

Not sure why anyone would need to turn a little bit of praise for a decent cameo off the bench into yet another thread criticising the bloke. Just seems unnecessary to me

This is the way.
Dykes on 18:58 - Mar 25 with 7058 viewsnumptydumpty

This man is the boo boys favourite on here

He gives his all and is useful as a hold up man or linking with attacking forwards and will always give best he is capable of.

He is not a clinical finisher but scores about as often as an Austin or a Gray last season but the extra elements he gives to the team are genuinely nearly always important.

Sometimes I think keyboard warriors go on attack if there tends to be because of safety in numbers

So in recent years Sylla, Washington, Bonne, Poulter, Lowe, Martin, Gray, Austin (second time around), Oteh, Matt Smith, Paul Smythe,.

IMO with that lot he very near the top of that pile.

Admittedly not much to go up against but his work rate and importance to the team is greater than many give him credit for.

It's a different game to 70s 80s and 90s and players a la Chair , Willock , Eze , BOS do tend to take up their own fair share of goals and Dykes role in the team is not around the realms of an old number nine when around 50% of goals ideally come from the centre forwards. It's a different type of game these days. Rarely two up front and my view he gets harsh treatment from many on here and elsewhere.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 19:06]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 19:14 - Mar 25 with 6992 viewsconnell10

Dykes on 16:52 - Mar 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Akindykeswa

Bless you !

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Dykes on 19:27 - Mar 25 with 6938 viewsSuperhoops2808

Because some fans bleat on about lack of effort from players, but a player who does put in a shift has to have some other negative to focus on. And its usually the same people
Dykes on 20:08 - Mar 25 with 6855 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 18:58 - Mar 25 by numptydumpty

This man is the boo boys favourite on here

He gives his all and is useful as a hold up man or linking with attacking forwards and will always give best he is capable of.

He is not a clinical finisher but scores about as often as an Austin or a Gray last season but the extra elements he gives to the team are genuinely nearly always important.

Sometimes I think keyboard warriors go on attack if there tends to be because of safety in numbers

So in recent years Sylla, Washington, Bonne, Poulter, Lowe, Martin, Gray, Austin (second time around), Oteh, Matt Smith, Paul Smythe,.

IMO with that lot he very near the top of that pile.

Admittedly not much to go up against but his work rate and importance to the team is greater than many give him credit for.

It's a different game to 70s 80s and 90s and players a la Chair , Willock , Eze , BOS do tend to take up their own fair share of goals and Dykes role in the team is not around the realms of an old number nine when around 50% of goals ideally come from the centre forwards. It's a different type of game these days. Rarely two up front and my view he gets harsh treatment from many on here and elsewhere.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 19:06]

Yeah Oteh was a weird one wasn’t it.

Played about 12 minutes for us in total.

Edit: Dear reader, he actually played in 17 games
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 20:09]
Dykes on 21:32 - Mar 25 with 6689 viewsCateLeBonR

I think if we win more games he'll get less stick.

Once we got used to winning more games he'll get more stick because he's not good enough to "take us to the next level".

Ad infinitum.
Dykes on 22:38 - Mar 25 with 6553 viewsozranger

Normally I would not waste space answering comments like this as I don't want to get into any fight, but as I started this thread and contributed later I felt it upon me to take you up on your comment. So, which comment above yours was made to criticise Dykes?

Wilkins and LBlock have certainly not done so. Like me, they have both pointed out that he is not going to be a prolific goal-scorer, which absolutely everyone knows. However, like my own comments, they also believe that it is not him but those around him that have contributed to such a problem and have also stated how much they believe that we need Dykes playing. I brought up the fact that to me Dykes appears to pushing too hard and should let go and then he will play better and I certainly have not torn him down like on other threads. In fact, bar your comment and those related to it, there is not one comment that I have seen on this thread that criticises Dykes the way that others have been attacked as has been stated here under the label "boo boys". In fact, this has been, other than these non-relevant comments, quite a decent and constructive thread.
Dykes on 00:58 - Mar 26 with 6421 viewsFredManRave

Damn those differing of opinions on a football forum.

Imagine how much better this site would be if we all agreed on everything, all the time.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Dykes on 08:24 - Mar 26 with 6274 viewsSydneyRs

I've always said that if/when he leaves he will do well elsewhere.
Dykes on 08:41 - Mar 26 with 6245 viewshubble

Dykes on 08:24 - Mar 26 by SydneyRs

I've always said that if/when he leaves he will do well elsewhere.

There's always going to be a job for him in Holland.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 09:15 - Mar 26 with 6175 viewsLoftgirl

Dykes on 08:41 - Mar 26 by hubble

There's always going to be a job for him in Holland.

Or Lesbos.
Dykes on 10:39 - Mar 26 with 6020 viewsGaryBannister86

Good thread. I think he's a good player, obviously not incredible but what can you expect for where we are.

His all round contribution to our excellent start was generally ignored in favour of THAT miss down the Loft end.

I don't agree that he will "never" be prolific. If he gets a few in from consecutive games, gets some confidence on the finishing.....why not?

Perhaps most importantly, there is still an inflated market for big centre forwards, even those with limited ability ie Wood, Wieghorst, etc. So if he did get 10 in 10 or whatever, his value would skyrocket. It is all it would take.

But I like him and I hope he's ours for years.
Dykes on 11:02 - Mar 26 with 5964 viewsLanhoop

Dykes on 22:38 - Mar 25 by ozranger

Normally I would not waste space answering comments like this as I don't want to get into any fight, but as I started this thread and contributed later I felt it upon me to take you up on your comment. So, which comment above yours was made to criticise Dykes?

Wilkins and LBlock have certainly not done so. Like me, they have both pointed out that he is not going to be a prolific goal-scorer, which absolutely everyone knows. However, like my own comments, they also believe that it is not him but those around him that have contributed to such a problem and have also stated how much they believe that we need Dykes playing. I brought up the fact that to me Dykes appears to pushing too hard and should let go and then he will play better and I certainly have not torn him down like on other threads. In fact, bar your comment and those related to it, there is not one comment that I have seen on this thread that criticises Dykes the way that others have been attacked as has been stated here under the label "boo boys". In fact, this has been, other than these non-relevant comments, quite a decent and constructive thread.

Not looking for any fight. I thought your original post was spot on. He deserved all the credit you gave him for what he did. But maybe we have different views on how we read things. I certainly don't want to pick on anyone but this seems like veiled criticism at best, "sadly I feel he'll be the latest in a long list we'll take a bath on", and is what I maybe jumped on.

Any striker is going to fail to be prolific with the crap quality of assists our midfield provide. Dykes must be looking at what Hugill and Wells had to feed off a couple of years ago and wondering "what if."
Dykes on 11:44 - Mar 26 with 5866 viewsdanehoop

Dykes on 11:02 - Mar 26 by Lanhoop

Not looking for any fight. I thought your original post was spot on. He deserved all the credit you gave him for what he did. But maybe we have different views on how we read things. I certainly don't want to pick on anyone but this seems like veiled criticism at best, "sadly I feel he'll be the latest in a long list we'll take a bath on", and is what I maybe jumped on.

Any striker is going to fail to be prolific with the crap quality of assists our midfield provide. Dykes must be looking at what Hugill and Wells had to feed off a couple of years ago and wondering "what if."

I swear it’s unreal on here sometimes. He is our player, has just come back from being hospitalized with pneumonia and only a few weeks after returning to training is playing for his country and setting up great goals. How the hell do you manage to turn that into a negative?

Not aimed at Lanhoop by the way.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 13:35]

Never knowingly understood

Dykes on 12:26 - Mar 26 with 5795 viewsjoe90

Dykes on 16:37 - Mar 25 by Lblock

Divides opinion.

I agree with you.

There are many good aspects to his game, however for us he lacks the vital aspect of his game that we need - scoring goals.

That’s the bottom line. Others will do the mental arithmetic, ‘if only’s’ and look at all the meaningless stats, but I prefer to keep it simple and look at goals scored and where we are in the table because that’s what counts.
Dykes on 12:29 - Mar 26 with 5771 viewsHarbour

Nice headed assist for the second goal last night. He definitely adds something to our forward line and has been missed since his illness. Never going to be prolific but adds a lot more than goals to our overall performance including defensive duties when defending set pieces. As others have said we need rest of forward line to step up. Really missing fit Willock and Chair.
Dykes on 13:48 - Mar 26 with 5675 viewsPinnerPaul

Said it before, but ANY thread on here can be and has been turned into something critical of anything and anyone connected with the Rs.

Just have to live with it/ignore posts/people/don't come on here as each of us see fit I guess?
Dykes on 13:49 - Mar 26 with 5671 viewsPinnerPaul

Dykes on 17:45 - Mar 25 by Juzzie

This is the way.

Much more succinctly put than my rambling!
Dykes on 16:24 - Mar 26 with 5493 viewsLblock

Dykes on 00:58 - Mar 26 by FredManRave

Damn those differing of opinions on a football forum.

Imagine how much better this site would be if we all agreed on everything, all the time.

Welcome to North Korea

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024