Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI 14:01 - Aug 9 with 17546 viewsModeratorC

The Swans visit a happy hunting ground of late on Saturday. It’s the Baggies away and a fine away turn out is expected.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60615/west-bromwich-albi
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60617/late-late-show-fro

West Bromwich Albion: Alex Palmer, Darnell Furlong, Conor Townsend, Cedric Kipre, Semi Ajayi, Jed Wallace (captain), Jayson Molumby, Matt Phillips, Erik Pieters, John Swift, Okay Yokuslu.

Substitutes: Josh Griffiths, Kyle Bartley, Josh Maja, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jeremy Sarmiento, Alex Mowatt, Taylor Gardner-Hickman, Tom Fellows, Ethan Ingram.

Swansea City: Carl Rushworth; Harry Darling, Ben Cabango, Nathan Wood; Harrison Ashby, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Ollie Cooper, Josh Key; Joel Piroe, Jerry Yates.

Substitutes: Andy Fisher, Joe Allen, Josh Ginnelly, Jamie Paterson, Charlie Patino, Mykola Kuharevich, Liam Cullen, Kyle Naughton, Azeem Abdulai.

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:31 - Aug 12 with 1934 viewsjojaca

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:19 - Aug 12 by RhonddaSwans

dangerous from corners when we click we are gonna be class

Encouraging comeback after dreadful first 65 minutes, Patino looks a class above of our current midfielders, we have more threats off the bench and I think our starting eleven will look different in a few weeks time. Some of our tried and tested have been poor the first two games.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 17:32]

Even when you know, you never know?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:36 - Aug 12 with 1913 viewsraynor94

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:31 - Aug 12 by jojaca

Encouraging comeback after dreadful first 65 minutes, Patino looks a class above of our current midfielders, we have more threats off the bench and I think our starting eleven will look different in a few weeks time. Some of our tried and tested have been poor the first two games.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 17:32]

Excellent post, Patino looks exciting, it's a work in progress.

Will deliver sooner than later

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:43 - Aug 12 with 1867 viewsKeithHaynes

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60617/late-late-show-fro

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:55 - Aug 12 with 1795 viewsmax936

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:36 - Aug 12 by raynor94

You said that about Martin mun

[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 20:37]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:27 - Aug 12 with 1675 viewsBryanSwan

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 16:42 - Aug 12 by GixerJack

Montero?.. really??

Short memories, he terrorised a number of premier league fullbacks in his pomp. Will never see a player of his ilk again if we stick out out with the 5 at the back narrow midfield and attack merchants.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:36 - Aug 12 with 1651 viewsBadlands

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:14 - Aug 12 by krunchykarrot

Cannot believe what i saw, there was no game plan just hit the channels or try a long cross ball. This has taken us back to far, i hope Duff gives an honest assesment in post match interview. As for the team set up it is to narrow and therefore we struggle through midfield and therefore carry the 2 upfront.

Same tactic as all games from Oxford to today.
It might work in L1&2 and against weak Championship teams but it just plays into other teams' hands.
We eventually came back against Brum when we started passing the ball.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:42 - Aug 12 with 1632 viewsTreforys_Jack

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:27 - Aug 12 by BryanSwan

Short memories, he terrorised a number of premier league fullbacks in his pomp. Will never see a player of his ilk again if we stick out out with the 5 at the back narrow midfield and attack merchants.

He had about 3 good games for us Bry
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:47 - Aug 12 with 1620 viewsshingle

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:36 - Aug 12 by raynor94

I know you are no doubt very exited that we made a little comeback when WBA eased off thinking the game was already won however 1 point out of 6 is what matters.
Login to get fewer ads

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:51 - Aug 12 with 1606 viewsshingle

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:05 - Aug 12 by GVJack

Of course disappointing. Very poor start. Let's not forget Duff is still finding his feet and how players react in competitive matches as well as new signings going to take time to bed in.

Patino has to be one of the first names in the team sheet going forward but need more dog in midfield nobody stamped their authority.

I will also try to forget that the WBA manager is still finding his feet and them and Birmingham have a lot of new signings as well.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 18:51]
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:58 - Aug 12 with 1580 viewsKeithHaynes

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:51 - Aug 12 by shingle

I will also try to forget that the WBA manager is still finding his feet and them and Birmingham have a lot of new signings as well.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 18:51]

Very early days.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:02 - Aug 12 with 1456 viewsonehunglow

Moving on….

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:40 - Aug 12 with 1363 viewsmax936

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:02 - Aug 12 by onehunglow

Moving on….

Spot on Sir!

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 23:23 - Aug 12 with 1228 viewsFireboy2

No matter how well we do, no matter what league we are in, no matter what position we in in that league we will always have negative doom mongering tvvats doing what they do best, fvcking moaning.

Yes its late and I've had a few, I'm as p!ssed off as everyone but it early days yet, if duff learns from today then I'm certain we will have a good season and if he doesn't then we are fvcked.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 10:54]
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 00:40 - Aug 13 with 1176 viewsAnotherJohn

Early days but a bit of a reality check. WBA didn't look promotion material to me. Key showed his potential, as did Patino.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 00:42 - Aug 13 with 1175 viewsBadlands

Serious questions.
Why are there no comment calling for Fisher to make a return?
And, no one has ripped into Darling for the penalty!

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 08:10 - Aug 13 with 1078 viewsangryjack

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 23:23 - Aug 12 by Fireboy2

No matter how well we do, no matter what league we are in, no matter what position we in in that league we will always have negative doom mongering tvvats doing what they do best, fvcking moaning.

Yes its late and I've had a few, I'm as p!ssed off as everyone but it early days yet, if duff learns from today then I'm certain we will have a good season and if he doesn't then we are fvcked.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 10:54]

Get your head out sand,itx ok to have positive attitude but our style of play ix shocking
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 08:43 - Aug 13 with 1041 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 00:42 - Aug 13 by Badlands

Serious questions.
Why are there no comment calling for Fisher to make a return?
And, no one has ripped into Darling for the penalty!

Nobody on here maybe but at the Hawthorns it was different.

We were painfully slow, a hangover from the previous managers style?

We finished strongly though and MAYBE it was helped by WBA easing off but when we scored they upped it again and we were still well on top.

We have to start games like the last 30, not like a bunch of slugs.

I don't think the wing back thing works either. The 3 at the back makes us weak, darling was poor even with the goal. Cabango wasn't any better mind, the number of times his passing gifted possession was shocking and you'd be forgiven for thinking touch was on our teamsheet.

Definitely needs to improve but when Duff made those changes we were much better, mybe we should start with that side?
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 09:09 - Aug 13 with 993 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 08:43 - Aug 13 by SullutaCreturned

Nobody on here maybe but at the Hawthorns it was different.

We were painfully slow, a hangover from the previous managers style?

We finished strongly though and MAYBE it was helped by WBA easing off but when we scored they upped it again and we were still well on top.

We have to start games like the last 30, not like a bunch of slugs.

I don't think the wing back thing works either. The 3 at the back makes us weak, darling was poor even with the goal. Cabango wasn't any better mind, the number of times his passing gifted possession was shocking and you'd be forgiven for thinking touch was on our teamsheet.

Definitely needs to improve but when Duff made those changes we were much better, mybe we should start with that side?

There just didn’t seem any cohesion. Back three were too tight together, wingbacks both seemed isolated at times. Key forced his way into the game to be fair. Three in midfield got overran and the front two didn’t get a lot of service.

I’m completely in the ‘give him time he will sort it’ camp, but let’s be honest, he’s been here 6 weeks, 4 of the 11 as well as 2 of the subs weren’t even here last season.

Take a bit of responsibility for the way we set up, players need options if they are going to move the ball quickly. There were always options last season, they were just safe options that didn’t get us anywhere. Now we’ve almost got the opposite problem.

I’m confident he’ll sort it out, but he has to quickly realise it’s his team and he’s where the buck stops.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 09:33 - Aug 13 with 957 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 09:09 - Aug 13 by jack247

There just didn’t seem any cohesion. Back three were too tight together, wingbacks both seemed isolated at times. Key forced his way into the game to be fair. Three in midfield got overran and the front two didn’t get a lot of service.

I’m completely in the ‘give him time he will sort it’ camp, but let’s be honest, he’s been here 6 weeks, 4 of the 11 as well as 2 of the subs weren’t even here last season.

Take a bit of responsibility for the way we set up, players need options if they are going to move the ball quickly. There were always options last season, they were just safe options that didn’t get us anywhere. Now we’ve almost got the opposite problem.

I’m confident he’ll sort it out, but he has to quickly realise it’s his team and he’s where the buck stops.

Part of the problem yesterday, we had no runners, no movement. All our passing in that first hour was to static players. We had absolutely zero pace in our game and even when we did try through balls they were badly over hit and gave our forwards no chance.

Whatever happened to pass and move, to give and go? Where were the runs to draw players out of position?

When we did pass it was badly telegraphed the player was closed down before the ball got there, several times it didn't get there, either intercepted or into touch.

There's plenty of room for improvement but then, in the last 30 we saw what we can do so there's hope.

Duff won't be able to keep makingecuses though. He was quite honest yesterday but I don't think the owners will be as patient with him as they were with Martin. Just a feeling.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 09:38 - Aug 13 with 945 viewsonehunglow

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 08:10 - Aug 13 by angryjack

Get your head out sand,itx ok to have positive attitude but our style of play ix shocking

In fairness fireman was moaning,if only to himself.
We all were,or should have been.
If anybody was not moaning during that first half then fans they are not

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 09:51 - Aug 13 with 925 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 09:33 - Aug 13 by SullutaCreturned

Part of the problem yesterday, we had no runners, no movement. All our passing in that first hour was to static players. We had absolutely zero pace in our game and even when we did try through balls they were badly over hit and gave our forwards no chance.

Whatever happened to pass and move, to give and go? Where were the runs to draw players out of position?

When we did pass it was badly telegraphed the player was closed down before the ball got there, several times it didn't get there, either intercepted or into touch.

There's plenty of room for improvement but then, in the last 30 we saw what we can do so there's hope.

Duff won't be able to keep makingecuses though. He was quite honest yesterday but I don't think the owners will be as patient with him as they were with Martin. Just a feeling.

I agree with the first part completely. That’s down to the manager. There aren’t going to be runners giving options if

Keeping possession is the be all and end all, so players have plenty of options but they are invariably sideways or backward passes that just allow the opposition to reset (Martin)

The centre backs are too close together, the wingbacks are too far away and the midfield is easily marked out of it (Duff - although it’s only two games).

You could see the difference Patino made because he made runs towards the ball wherever it was. When he got it, he’d look to carry or move it forward. I’d expect to see him in the starting line up sooner rather than later, Ginelly too, though I think Duff would need to change formation to accommodate that.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:09 - Aug 13 with 900 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 09:51 - Aug 13 by jack247

I agree with the first part completely. That’s down to the manager. There aren’t going to be runners giving options if

Keeping possession is the be all and end all, so players have plenty of options but they are invariably sideways or backward passes that just allow the opposition to reset (Martin)

The centre backs are too close together, the wingbacks are too far away and the midfield is easily marked out of it (Duff - although it’s only two games).

You could see the difference Patino made because he made runs towards the ball wherever it was. When he got it, he’d look to carry or move it forward. I’d expect to see him in the starting line up sooner rather than later, Ginelly too, though I think Duff would need to change formation to accommodate that.

I reckon a 4-1-3-2 may work Piroe and Yates up front with Patino, Ginnelly and Cooper behind them, Grimes can be the DM, Key and Ashby as regular full backs with Wood and Cabango at CB.

But if I had the answers I wouldn't be in the away end, I'd be in the dug out.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:15 - Aug 13 with 889 viewssw02sea

From all the games I’ve seen so far, and yes it is far too early to make a judgement, but I’m assuming the due diligence was carried out on Duff’s appointment, re our playing style ?
You could imagine Martin giving his “dominating possession” speech in his interview, but I wonder how Duff won over the board in his ?
What were his bullet points ?
I would love to know how his interview went.
Any clues Keith?
Considering Swansea City have built up a reputation for playing passing football with managers like
Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup, Potter ect I’m just curious to know how MD won them over, and hopefully all will be revealed as the season progresses
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:37 - Aug 13 with 870 viewscontroversial_jack

That first half was one of the worse I have ever seen. Strangers playing together, no pace, terrible passing, allowing opposition too much time and space. Second half improved but by then it was over and WBA had taken their foot off the gas. Big improvements needed
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:41 - Aug 13 with 866 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:37 - Aug 13 by controversial_jack

That first half was one of the worse I have ever seen. Strangers playing together, no pace, terrible passing, allowing opposition too much time and space. Second half improved but by then it was over and WBA had taken their foot off the gas. Big improvements needed

I know people will disagree, but the first hour was worse than anything I can remember under Martin or Cooper.

In fairness to Duff, he’s spoken about fitness a lot and you could clearly see that towards the end. Wasn’t the case under Martin.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024