Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro 06:34 - May 12 with 834 viewsSwans9

No guarantee we will do the same next season. We have to get recruitment right this summer we probably going to have to have loads of loans again due to finances. I just hope Wrexham don't out bid us on langstaff.
[Post edited 12 May 6:35]
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 09:53 - May 12 with 749 viewsSullutaCreturned

Wrexham will have to be careful about spending rules nw, they have spent a lot more ths last 3 years than they have coming in.

I dont see any point in relying on loans again, they arent cheap and they do us no favours in the long term, in fact they damage us, in my opinion. A loan shuld be a real necessity, if we can't buy the player we need then loan but far better to buy and develop a young player then pay a lot of money to develop another teams player.

Rushworth we needed, we really did. Other loan players meant our own players didn't get match time.

Maybe next window we should concentrate on qulaity over quantity and try some of our young players. Lets face it, Cullen isn't good enough, he had a purple patch and works hard but he is NOT a lead striker. Cooper has gone backwards, he looked better when he first broke through but now he looks like just another willing runner. What happened to Congreve?

We cant afford another weakening of the squad. There again, we need the manager to use the squad to its best and I really hoe we don't have another manager who will stick by his "principles" no matter what. Good managers can adapt and adjust and because we don't have tens of millions to spend on one player, any manager here will have to adapt and adjust.
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 10:22 - May 12 with 723 viewsjack247

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 09:53 - May 12 by SullutaCreturned

Wrexham will have to be careful about spending rules nw, they have spent a lot more ths last 3 years than they have coming in.

I dont see any point in relying on loans again, they arent cheap and they do us no favours in the long term, in fact they damage us, in my opinion. A loan shuld be a real necessity, if we can't buy the player we need then loan but far better to buy and develop a young player then pay a lot of money to develop another teams player.

Rushworth we needed, we really did. Other loan players meant our own players didn't get match time.

Maybe next window we should concentrate on qulaity over quantity and try some of our young players. Lets face it, Cullen isn't good enough, he had a purple patch and works hard but he is NOT a lead striker. Cooper has gone backwards, he looked better when he first broke through but now he looks like just another willing runner. What happened to Congreve?

We cant afford another weakening of the squad. There again, we need the manager to use the squad to its best and I really hoe we don't have another manager who will stick by his "principles" no matter what. Good managers can adapt and adjust and because we don't have tens of millions to spend on one player, any manager here will have to adapt and adjust.

It was just a bad batch of loans. If you’re bringing in better, but inexperienced, players from Premier League sides and allowing our own youngsters not yet ready for the first team to go out on loan, there’s nothing wrong with it.

Patino, Ashby and Humphreys all came with big reputations and failed to live up to them. If they don’t actually improve the first team, then I agree it’s pointless.

We didn’t ’need’ Borini. We could have played Dobbie there and started Pratley. I’m not sure if we’d have gone up though. We got to the playoffs twice under Cooper with our best players (apart from Ayew the second season) being on loan. Nobody questioned the process then.

Last season was particularly poor with only Rushworth really justifying it. They have to be better than we’ve already got. I’m sure the club thought the three I’ve mentioned would be. They were generally poor under Martin too. We just have to get better at bringing the right players in.
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 10:52 - May 12 with 698 viewsSullutaCreturned

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 10:22 - May 12 by jack247

It was just a bad batch of loans. If you’re bringing in better, but inexperienced, players from Premier League sides and allowing our own youngsters not yet ready for the first team to go out on loan, there’s nothing wrong with it.

Patino, Ashby and Humphreys all came with big reputations and failed to live up to them. If they don’t actually improve the first team, then I agree it’s pointless.

We didn’t ’need’ Borini. We could have played Dobbie there and started Pratley. I’m not sure if we’d have gone up though. We got to the playoffs twice under Cooper with our best players (apart from Ayew the second season) being on loan. Nobody questioned the process then.

Last season was particularly poor with only Rushworth really justifying it. They have to be better than we’ve already got. I’m sure the club thought the three I’ve mentioned would be. They were generally poor under Martin too. We just have to get better at bringing the right players in.

That's why a loan should be a necessity. Too many loans stifles your own young players progress.

If we hadn't had Borini we have no way of knowing what would have happened, Dobbie scored 9 in 55, Borini 6 in 9, who knows how manyDobbie may have scored if we'd done as you suggested.

The whole point, I guess, is we have to be better at recruitment because we don't have much money to spend. Spending it on too many inneffective loan players again could be a disaster.
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 11:07 - May 12 with 692 viewsjack247

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 10:52 - May 12 by SullutaCreturned

That's why a loan should be a necessity. Too many loans stifles your own young players progress.

If we hadn't had Borini we have no way of knowing what would have happened, Dobbie scored 9 in 55, Borini 6 in 9, who knows how manyDobbie may have scored if we'd done as you suggested.

The whole point, I guess, is we have to be better at recruitment because we don't have much money to spend. Spending it on too many inneffective loan players again could be a disaster.

It only really stifles the progress of those that aren’t good enough/ready for the first team. Abdullai, Parker and Govea have all had chances this season. If it wasn’t for injuries, the first two likely would have played more. Lissah seems to be on the verge.

I know what you mean. Whatever we paid for Ashby as an example was a waste, but he was just a bad signing. It pales into insignificance compared to spending the best part of £5m plus wages on the two strikers. I said Yates was more of a headache than Sagoe Jr the other week and this is exactly what I meant.

Your last paragraph is bang on, but applies to permanent signings just as much, if not more so.
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 11:22 - May 12 with 683 viewsSullutaCreturned

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 11:07 - May 12 by jack247

It only really stifles the progress of those that aren’t good enough/ready for the first team. Abdullai, Parker and Govea have all had chances this season. If it wasn’t for injuries, the first two likely would have played more. Lissah seems to be on the verge.

I know what you mean. Whatever we paid for Ashby as an example was a waste, but he was just a bad signing. It pales into insignificance compared to spending the best part of £5m plus wages on the two strikers. I said Yates was more of a headache than Sagoe Jr the other week and this is exactly what I meant.

Your last paragraph is bang on, but applies to permanent signings just as much, if not more so.

Thing is, every signing is a gamble but we have been fairly poor gamblers. Luton were brilliant the season before last but they are back down now because to stay up you have to spend a LOT of money. Forest spent several bucketloads and still went close. For Forest, relegation would have been a nightmare.

For ourselves we were only 3-5 poorer results away from that relegation. 4 more goals against in the right games and we were in deep trouble. Fine margins as they say. We cannot afford to be weaker next season than this, it won't get any easier for us.
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 11:34 - May 12 with 672 viewsRichardO

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 09:53 - May 12 by SullutaCreturned

Saw Congreve with the U21s against Birmingham on Friday and for me he should now be looked at as a viable member of the first team squad, his movement off the ball is excellent he was always look to get into positions to recieve the ball and when he did he was thoughtful in how he used it using quick balls to the ever present Joe Thomas, who also looks ready to step up. Congreve looks a danger in the opposition box able to make space for him self then looking to release others with clever balls if a shooting option isn't on.
Has he got faults yes one was he worked hard at tracking back while keeping an eye on advancing opposition players he would get close to them but not close enough to prevent play through them, Fulton had the same issue needing to dive in giving away free kicks, Congreve doesn't look to be the diving in type so would need to get closer.
Would rather him than risk anymore money on Walsh unless Walsh had a totally amended contract to protect the club finances.

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 11:44 - May 12 with 664 viewsmax936

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 10:22 - May 12 by jack247

Disagree on Humphreys, he looks the best one to watch for the future than the other two, Patino came with much expectation, but it didn't work out for him or us, Championship is a tough tough league with a lot old heads with bundles of experience, he's got time though, be interesting to see if he progresses or crashes and burns.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 13:04 - May 12 with 627 viewsjack247

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 11:22 - May 12 by SullutaCreturned

Thing is, every signing is a gamble but we have been fairly poor gamblers. Luton were brilliant the season before last but they are back down now because to stay up you have to spend a LOT of money. Forest spent several bucketloads and still went close. For Forest, relegation would have been a nightmare.

For ourselves we were only 3-5 poorer results away from that relegation. 4 more goals against in the right games and we were in deep trouble. Fine margins as they say. We cannot afford to be weaker next season than this, it won't get any easier for us.

Agree with you completely there. Whether it’s loans or permanent signings, we probably don’t have a lot of leeway to get things wrong. Last season was very poor recruitment wise all round. Obviously there were a few bright spots - Rushworth, Key, Ronald..

I’d guess that most teams in the championship are only one great summer away from the playoffs and one disastrous one from a relegation battle.
Login to get fewer ads

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 13:08 - May 12 with 624 viewsSullutaCreturned

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 13:04 - May 12 by jack247

Agree with you completely there. Whether it’s loans or permanent signings, we probably don’t have a lot of leeway to get things wrong. Last season was very poor recruitment wise all round. Obviously there were a few bright spots - Rushworth, Key, Ronald..

I’d guess that most teams in the championship are only one great summer away from the playoffs and one disastrous one from a relegation battle.

And Tymon, he turned out good.

Thing is, this year we need 2 decent strikers, another centre midfield because...Joe! If we sell Wood we need another CB too. That's 4 for staright into the starting eleven too. Then we need another 4 or 5 back up players. A few may come from the U21's so we may be lookingat 6 or 7 players to buy. Will we spend that much?
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 13:21 - May 12 with 612 viewsmax936

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 13:04 - May 12 by jack247

Correct, we as fans need to be realistic, we are not going to be able to be financially competitive against probably 60/70% of clubs in the Championship, even some in league one, look at the teams coming up Portsmouth and Derby, may need to add Bolton to that!

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 13:22 - May 12 with 614 viewsjack247

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 13:08 - May 12 by SullutaCreturned

And Tymon, he turned out good.

Thing is, this year we need 2 decent strikers, another centre midfield because...Joe! If we sell Wood we need another CB too. That's 4 for staright into the starting eleven too. Then we need another 4 or 5 back up players. A few may come from the U21's so we may be lookingat 6 or 7 players to buy. Will we spend that much?

Yes Tymon definitely.

The rest of it is a decent argument for loans.Humphreys didn’t live up to his billing for me, but did a decent job. I’d have a player like that competing with Wood and Darling.

I think we need to buy someone for central midfield unless Abdullai is ready.

I’m sure we’ll sign a marquee striker. Whether we buy two after last summer I don’t know.
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 14:42 - May 12 with 560 viewsSwans9

Roberts Roden James Piroe Downes Manning all involved in the play offs. What we give to sign players of that quality now we replaced them with loans sad but true.
We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 14:50 - May 12 with 538 viewsRhonddaSwans

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 14:42 - May 12 by Swans9

Roberts Roden James Piroe Downes Manning all involved in the play offs. What we give to sign players of that quality now we replaced them with loans sad but true.

Also Russell Martin 😙

Poll: Euro 2024 Winner 🏆 Predictions

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 15:41 - May 12 with 487 viewsunion_jack

Kyle Bartley

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 16:46 - May 12 with 447 viewsKeithHaynes

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 14:42 - May 12 by Swans9

That’s a great point, I’m trying to think of more. Not Kieffer. 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

We didn't lose away to all teams below us but only finished 7 points off the dro on 18:55 - May 12 with 410 viewsSullutaCreturned

Yeah, we sold the family silver off and replaced it with cheap replica's.

We need to unearth some proper gems from somewhere again. Oh for a Rangel and a Britton, a Scotland and a Routledge.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024