Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Community Integration 21:59 - Aug 28 with 2103 viewsThe_Knightowl

Nationally there is still a very low level (poor) integration in professional football.of the Asian community in football.
I read some what in the past that the club had/ have /do try to involve all communities.
That communication is now non existent / sparse to be polite....from what I observe..
Would the creation of a club(s) Asian orientated team / league considering local demographics be a positive in giving opportunity to talent/s that deserve exposure? ?

Community Integration on 03:16 - Aug 29 with 1951 viewsdownunder

I do not see how you can integrate, by have diversive' "just for you" leagues. IMHO.
Community Integration on 11:08 - Aug 29 with 1751 viewsisitme

The club has a member if staff (I think he is called Syd?) who does a lot of work in this area. There has been in the past a number of articles on the website about five a five competitions held between mosque based teams. I have seen him lots of times in the Pearl Street with groups of young lads attending the games. He has also been at Rochdale Leisure Centre on a Friday evening when the youth session is on helping with the football.

I suspect that Covid-19 has seen a suspension of a lot of community work. Their lack of representation in professional football is a complex one and down to a myriad of factors. Probably the two main ones are that families do not view it as being a valid career so do not encourage their children into that area. There are suprisingly few professional cricketers of Asian descent in the English game. At Lancashire you have Mahmood who is a local lad and Shah who was born in Scotland. I cannot think of an 'Asian' cricketer on the books of Warwickshire even though you have a large catchment in the Birmingham area. You also have the physical aspect which prevents a number making it especially as footballers, as they are often in competition with physically superior boys for limited opportunities.

I remember years ago when I played in the Rochdale Leagues and there was a team called Asia who had a few technically gifted players but you knew that if games got a bit more physical a decent side would beat them.

I would also agree with the previous poster that have specific teams along ethinic lines is hardly integration, although I do understand that people enjoy playing with their friends.
Community Integration on 11:11 - Aug 29 with 1738 viewsrochdaleriddler

Community Integration on 11:08 - Aug 29 by isitme

The club has a member if staff (I think he is called Syd?) who does a lot of work in this area. There has been in the past a number of articles on the website about five a five competitions held between mosque based teams. I have seen him lots of times in the Pearl Street with groups of young lads attending the games. He has also been at Rochdale Leisure Centre on a Friday evening when the youth session is on helping with the football.

I suspect that Covid-19 has seen a suspension of a lot of community work. Their lack of representation in professional football is a complex one and down to a myriad of factors. Probably the two main ones are that families do not view it as being a valid career so do not encourage their children into that area. There are suprisingly few professional cricketers of Asian descent in the English game. At Lancashire you have Mahmood who is a local lad and Shah who was born in Scotland. I cannot think of an 'Asian' cricketer on the books of Warwickshire even though you have a large catchment in the Birmingham area. You also have the physical aspect which prevents a number making it especially as footballers, as they are often in competition with physically superior boys for limited opportunities.

I remember years ago when I played in the Rochdale Leagues and there was a team called Asia who had a few technically gifted players but you knew that if games got a bit more physical a decent side would beat them.

I would also agree with the previous poster that have specific teams along ethinic lines is hardly integration, although I do understand that people enjoy playing with their friends.

I worked with an Asian guy a few years ago and he played in a mixed Asian / white team in a local league playing works/pub teams

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Community Integration on 11:50 - Aug 29 with 1679 viewsD_Alien

Another potential barrier, for Muslims of Asian heritage, is Ramadan

Whilst it's possible for cricketers to play through Ramadan whilst fasting (and that includes no liquids too), playing a high-energy game with greater athletic demands would be very difficult without taking in nutrition and liquids at the right time. It would certainly be a disadvantage, even if not insurmountable to someone perhaps determined enough to succeed

As an example, Ramadan 2021 occurs between 11 April - 12 May, the pinnacle of a normal football season

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Community Integration on 15:49 - Aug 29 with 1585 viewsrobshaker

Community Integration on 11:50 - Aug 29 by D_Alien

Whilst it's possible for cricketers to play through Ramadan whilst fasting (and that includes no liquids too), playing a high-energy game with greater athletic demands would be very difficult without taking in nutrition and liquids at the right time. It would certainly be a disadvantage, even if not insurmountable to someone perhaps determined enough to succeed

As an example, Ramadan 2021 occurs between 11 April - 12 May, the pinnacle of a normal football season

not set in stone that D Alien, prof muslim sports men/women can be excused fasting as long as they honour it sometime else I think.
In fact its not compulsory to fast at all as people assume, I know some muslims and they say you fast if you can i.e if it wont cause health issues and physically fit enough too.
the reason majority do is muslims tend to be very religious and stubbon about it.

years ago Bury arranged a friendly with the Pakistan national team at Gigg Lane, the idea was maybe some of the local Pakistanis who would attend might just come back now and then to watch Bury but as I remember only a handful of them turned up for the game anyway.

We won 3-0 I think mostly reserves probably..
Community Integration on 18:44 - Aug 29 with 1476 viewsTipperaryDale

Community Integration on 11:50 - Aug 29 by D_Alien

That doesn't seem to effect Mo Salah, Nicholas Anelka, Marouanne Fellaini, Mesut Ozil, Paul Pogba or the many other Muslim players that play at the top level.

First thoughts are; there is a lack of footballing heritage in the Asian communities, both here and back in Bangladesh & Pakistan. There also hasn't been any trailblazers, who can prove to Asian lads that they can succeed at the highest levels. There is Hamza Choudhury at Leicester - he might be one if he can progress.

As for what Dale can do - very little in all honesty, but I believe what Syd is doing is worthwhile even if the returns might be quite meagre.
Community Integration on 21:00 - Aug 29 with 1411 viewsD_Alien

Community Integration on 18:44 - Aug 29 by TipperaryDale

That doesn't seem to effect Mo Salah, Nicholas Anelka, Marouanne Fellaini, Mesut Ozil, Paul Pogba or the many other Muslim players that play at the top level.

First thoughts are; there is a lack of footballing heritage in the Asian communities, both here and back in Bangladesh & Pakistan. There also hasn't been any trailblazers, who can prove to Asian lads that they can succeed at the highest levels. There is Hamza Choudhury at Leicester - he might be one if he can progress.

As for what Dale can do - very little in all honesty, but I believe what Syd is doing is worthwhile even if the returns might be quite meagre.

Fair point about existing and successful Muslim players

It'd be interesting to hear from them exactly how they do cope with Ramadan from a sporting point of view. Any potential obstacles to sporting success could be, and should be, publicised, and role models are the best way to do this. Perhaps it happens behind the scenes; but airing these issues to a wider audience can't help but encourage Muslim youngsters, and just as importantly, their non-Muslim friends and team-mates to a position of greater understanding

[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 21:01]

Community Integration on 21:04 - Aug 29 with 1404 viewsD_Alien

Community Integration on 15:49 - Aug 29 by robshaker

not set in stone that D Alien, prof muslim sports men/women can be excused fasting as long as they honour it sometime else I think.
In fact its not compulsory to fast at all as people assume, I know some muslims and they say you fast if you can i.e if it wont cause health issues and physically fit enough too.
the reason majority do is muslims tend to be very religious and stubbon about it.

years ago Bury arranged a friendly with the Pakistan national team at Gigg Lane, the idea was maybe some of the local Pakistanis who would attend might just come back now and then to watch Bury but as I remember only a handful of them turned up for the game anyway.

We won 3-0 I think mostly reserves probably..

All good points Shaker

As per my reply to Tipperary, the more publicity of these issues the better

Ah, the memories of reserves winning a game...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024