Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere in this country.. 14:25 - Nov 2 with 3615 viewsSonicBoom

How come the atmosphere else where around Europe is so much better than here?

Obviously it's more mental in places like Turkey and Greece, I guess they don't have such onerous health and safety rules. But I've been watching the German league and the fans look to be having a far better time there. There's loads of singing and thousands of flags and signs - that don't seem to supplied by the clubs.

Yet here we sit down, shut up, the clubs employ flag wavers, and the game is stopped if there is so much as a single flare.
I get having to make sure people are "safe" these days but safe apparently means just stop everyone doing anything other than sitting down and clapping. Modern day atmospheres at football are really dire these days.
Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:37 - Nov 2 with 3585 viewssaint901

Perhaps it's a combination of national culture and circumstance in each country?

Looking around me at St Mary's, the age demographic is certainly edging in to the 40's and above. Perhaps that's a function of where I sit and I'm sure that the noisy end has a large number of younger fans. Anyway, age tends to increase the cynicism level and most of us around me have seen us snatch defeat from victory at the last second so often, that to celebrate early is asking for a jinx.

In Italy and Spain especially, the fan base in the stadiums appears to be younger = more energy = less tolerance of others = a careless attitude toward consequences. In Germany, many clubs are very active in building and helping supporters associations and groups and generally engage more.

In the above countries there is also a strong regional loyalty and supporting a club from another region is not popular. The loyalty to a region is perhaps a contributor to the passion on the terrace?

Or it could just be that we're miserable bu99ers because the weathers' naff, the politicians are making a mess of Gov't, the economy is flatlined and we stubbed our toe that morning getting out of bed.
Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:51 - Nov 2 with 3564 viewsPatfromPoole

The game has become a lot more middle-class over here, particularly in the South.

Ticket prices have seen to that.

German games are however much cheaper; they have it sorted over there.

Also culture. You don’t find many women at games in Greece, Turkey or the old Eastern European countries.

Whereas over here, women have been encouraged to be a lot less subservient to men, and a lot of them are fairly well-off relative to their other halves.

That’s my cultural input for the year…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:58 - Nov 2 with 3554 viewsSouthamptonfan

Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:51 - Nov 2 by PatfromPoole

The game has become a lot more middle-class over here, particularly in the South.

Ticket prices have seen to that.

German games are however much cheaper; they have it sorted over there.

Also culture. You don’t find many women at games in Greece, Turkey or the old Eastern European countries.

Whereas over here, women have been encouraged to be a lot less subservient to men, and a lot of them are fairly well-off relative to their other halves.

That’s my cultural input for the year…..

You have hit the nail on the head - Ticket Prices!

The higher the prices, the more middle class, the more older people that go. Football games, rail tickets, travel expenses, all seem to be cheaper in many European countries.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 15:30 - Nov 2 with 3509 viewsPatfromPoole

I should add that as somebody whose daughter is starting to take an active interest in Saints, I don’t mind at all that women are getting more into football.

I know a fair few of them who get just as involved in the game as any bloke, particularly the TOGS crew.

My issue is more with people who spend more time on their phones than watching the game. Even in the Itchen North, you see a fair few of these. No idea why they bother going to the game.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 19:56 - Nov 2 with 3321 viewscocklebreath

Sat behind 2 blokes in block 15 against Rotherham, glued to phones not sure they watched any of the match🙄

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 20:31 - Nov 2 with 3287 viewsgreen

Atmosphere in this country.. on 19:56 - Nov 2 by cocklebreath

Sat behind 2 blokes in block 15 against Rotherham, glued to phones not sure they watched any of the match🙄

Same, one game this season three lads must have been early twenties spent the whole game betting on their phones on other Premier League games, seemingly no interest in our game.

Don’t know how they managed it though because I don’t seem to get a signal at all in the ground (a good thing because no one can bother me).
Atmosphere in this country.. on 11:57 - Nov 3 with 3091 viewswibbersda

Because of the dominance of the Right Wing Media, making everyone angry and unhappy with the country and their life.
Atmosphere in this country.. on 13:32 - Nov 3 with 3050 viewsdirk_doone

There is also the fact that many fans are more concerned with maintaining a 'cool' image so scarves, flags, ultras etc are not welcomed. I remember some time ago when Nick raised the question of whether we should emulate Palace in having organised ultras, he was quickly laughed down, yet Palace are considered by many to have the most improved atmosphere in the country.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 13:34]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere in this country.. on 13:36 - Nov 3 with 3036 viewsSonicBoom

The whole concept of "ultras" is terrible. I see Celtic have banned the Green Brigade from games now as they have caused so many issues.
In Europe you get the ridiculous spectacle of players havig to line up in front of the crowd so they can vent their fury at the latest loss.
What are Ultras? There are loads of committed fans that follow home and away, they don't feel the need to appoint themselves as Ultras. It seems Ultras believe they are above normal fans and demand all sorts from the club. So odd. It's just a game of football ffs
Atmosphere in this country.. on 13:37 - Nov 3 with 3033 viewsdirk_doone

Atmosphere in this country.. on 13:36 - Nov 3 by SonicBoom

The whole concept of "ultras" is terrible. I see Celtic have banned the Green Brigade from games now as they have caused so many issues.
In Europe you get the ridiculous spectacle of players havig to line up in front of the crowd so they can vent their fury at the latest loss.
What are Ultras? There are loads of committed fans that follow home and away, they don't feel the need to appoint themselves as Ultras. It seems Ultras believe they are above normal fans and demand all sorts from the club. So odd. It's just a game of football ffs

Yet the support in the countries you mention in Europe is totally driven by them.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:26 - Nov 3 with 3005 viewsGRIM

Atmosphere in this country.. on 19:56 - Nov 2 by cocklebreath

Crazy why pay silly money for tickets then spend 90 minutes on your phone.
What about the loonies that take their shirts off & face the back of the stand just to get attention.
I bet some of them could even tell you the score.
Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:15 - Nov 4 with 2769 viewsdarthvader

Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:26 - Nov 3 by GRIM

What about the loonies that take their shirts off & face the back of the stand just to get attention.

Tbf i was at the Ipswich game with my two daughters who are saints mad one more than the other , itchen north half way through the second half they were both sat down looking at phones laughing at stuff .
I turned to them to scold them ,are you watching the game ?!?!..
One screwed her face up said
"No not really" . To be fair after watching the Leicester game and on that particular night i didnt blame them ..

Normally tho they aren't so bad with , a few pictures etc but that night they werent interested and said the players werent so why should we be . .

keep the faith coyr

Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:41 - Nov 4 with 2745 viewsGRIM

Atmosphere in this country.. on 14:26 - Nov 3 by GRIM

When I said the loonies that take their shirts off I wasn't talking about the ladies.
Atmosphere in this country.. on 19:08 - Nov 4 with 2589 viewsSFC_Referee

Yeah but the German and the Italian leagues are about the only two major leagues that do have a much better atmosphere than us. As I myself have been to a fair few major stadiums across Europe to see games, and yeah some were amazing (like Dortmunds, Camp Nou, Allianz Stadium etc…) and yeah they all had amazing atmospheres that I’d never seen in England, but for games in France and Spain (that weren’t el Classico but rather your average games with mid table teams) they’re well worse than us and barely sing at all.
So for the major 5 leagues I’d say for atmospheres we’d be bang in the middle as 3rd of the 5 leagues, as yeah Germany and Italy sure do put us to shame, but at least we have a decent enough atmosphere for all games whilst in Spain and France it’s only certain teams and games that ever have much of an atmosphere whatsoever

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Atmosphere in this country.. on 23:11 - Nov 4 with 2445 viewscocklebreath

Atmosphere in this country.. on 19:08 - Nov 4 by SFC_Referee

Yeah but the German and the Italian leagues are about the only two major leagues that do have a much better atmosphere than us. As I myself have been to a fair few major stadiums across Europe to see games, and yeah some were amazing (like Dortmunds, Camp Nou, Allianz Stadium etc…) and yeah they all had amazing atmospheres that I’d never seen in England, but for games in France and Spain (that weren’t el Classico but rather your average games with mid table teams) they’re well worse than us and barely sing at all.
So for the major 5 leagues I’d say for atmospheres we’d be bang in the middle as 3rd of the 5 leagues, as yeah Germany and Italy sure do put us to shame, but at least we have a decent enough atmosphere for all games whilst in Spain and France it’s only certain teams and games that ever have much of an atmosphere whatsoever

Total rubbish, you not seen the fans in Turkey and Greece and Croatia? It’s a different level all over Europe

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 09:03 - Nov 5 with 2283 viewssaintwizzler

Atmosphere in this country.. on 15:30 - Nov 2 by PatfromPoole

I should add that as somebody whose daughter is starting to take an active interest in Saints, I don’t mind at all that women are getting more into football.

I know a fair few of them who get just as involved in the game as any bloke, particularly the TOGS crew.

My issue is more with people who spend more time on their phones than watching the game. Even in the Itchen North, you see a fair few of these. No idea why they bother going to the game.

Sexist pig.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 20:44 - Nov 5 with 2181 viewsSFC_Referee

Atmosphere in this country.. on 23:11 - Nov 4 by cocklebreath

Total rubbish, you not seen the fans in Turkey and Greece and Croatia? It’s a different level all over Europe

Didn’t know the Turkish and Greek leagues are now classified as major ones?
As yeah in many of the smaller leagues the atmospheres are much better than we get over here, but for the 5 major leagues, we’re bang in the middle for how good or bad atmospheres are

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Atmosphere in this country.. on 10:21 - Nov 6 with 2038 viewsSaintNick

Atmosphere in this country.. on 20:44 - Nov 5 by SFC_Referee

Didn’t know the Turkish and Greek leagues are now classified as major ones?
As yeah in many of the smaller leagues the atmospheres are much better than we get over here, but for the 5 major leagues, we’re bang in the middle for how good or bad atmospheres are

There are many reasons why it has become so sanitised, most of them have been mentioned here, but i dont think it is one reason in particular but a combination.

The main reason though is attitude, abroad they have started to adopt a more partisan attitude to the clubs they support, the Ultras are respected as being the most passionate of the fans and the clubs have recognised that in any business you have to keep your best customers on side and treat them with respect.

Here we seem to sneer at anyone who shows any real passion, the Palace Ultras seem to be sneered at rather than admired for turning Selhurst park from a dull stadium with little atmosphere to one that now has genuine atmosphere, they were the catalyst for that.

Take Liverpool for instance before kick off they have the biggest collection of flags and banners being waved, but once the came kicks off they have to be put away and not waved as it will get in the way of the tourists who want to take photos of the game

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Atmosphere in this country.. on 13:06 - Nov 6 with 2009 viewsWints76

StWizzler and I watched Ajax play Heerenveen yesterday. Atmosphere there was pretty much like any ground in England. a bit of chanting here and there but the 1000 or so away fans being noisier. The two lads next to us (early 20s) chatted and giggled throughout the game, played on their phones, went and got food after about 40 mins and left on about 75 mins. They missed 4 goals in a 4-1 win.

I've been to quite a few Spanish grounds. Bilbao and the two Seville clubs were noisy but the rest weren't. Italy and Germany definitely the best atmospheres of the major leagues. Pretty much for the reasons discussed above
Atmosphere in this country.. on 16:51 - Nov 6 with 1965 viewsBuggalugs

Atmosphere in this country.. on 13:06 - Nov 6 by Wints76

StWizzler and I watched Ajax play Heerenveen yesterday. Atmosphere there was pretty much like any ground in England. a bit of chanting here and there but the 1000 or so away fans being noisier. The two lads next to us (early 20s) chatted and giggled throughout the game, played on their phones, went and got food after about 40 mins and left on about 75 mins. They missed 4 goals in a 4-1 win.

I've been to quite a few Spanish grounds. Bilbao and the two Seville clubs were noisy but the rest weren't. Italy and Germany definitely the best atmospheres of the major leagues. Pretty much for the reasons discussed above

Sounds like Millwall flu to me

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Atmosphere in this country.. on 16:53 - Nov 6 with 1963 viewsWints76

Atmosphere in this country.. on 16:51 - Nov 6 by Buggalugs

😀 Cheeky bugger.

Been there, done it. Went in home end as well (which would be an embarrassing story for the person concerned, but I am sworn to secrecy for ever)
Atmosphere in this country.. on 20:50 - Nov 6 with 1857 viewsAnonSaint1

The Chapel movement is there for those saying ticket prices contribute to poor atmosphere.
Cat A: £25
Cat B: £20
Cat C: £15
(Block 15)

Surprised not more people have gotten involved. Cheapest part of the ground and now has a bit of an atmosphere. Just need a few more up there. Up to the rest of the ground to do something.
Atmosphere in this country.. on 09:18 - Nov 7 with 1721 viewssaintwizzler

Atmosphere in this country.. on 16:51 - Nov 6 by Buggalugs

I’ve got Watford flu

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024