Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Accessing a GP 10:18 - Feb 6 with 823 viewsGwyn737

I probably jinxed myself after in conversation in work last week it came up that I hadn’t has a day off sick for over 15 years…

Cue a miserable weekend, culminating with me trying to see a GP first thing yesterday. I’ve been left wondering if many are having similar issues.

I’ve been registered with my local surgery for 11 years and fortunately have never had to contact them so this is all new to me.

I rang at 8am and waited about 20 mins to speak to a receptionist. She took down my symptoms as a triage and said a doctor would ring me back.

Doctor rang back at 3 and said he needed to see me but couldn’t that day. I could be seen first thing today but it would be at a sister surgery in the next town over.

Went there, saw some kind of practitioner who could diagnose but not prescribe. Said I needed antibiotics so he’d do a note for a doctor who would contact a pharmacy with the prescription.

I’ve now had to drive home, sit here festering until this afternoon when I have to get back in the car and drive to a pharmacy to pick up the pills.

I suppose my question is, is this normal? Seems nuts to me.
Accessing a GP on 10:31 - Feb 6 with 801 viewsonehunglow

Difficult
We have a rather better system here .
I can go along at 8.30 in person and get an appt that day .
Otherwise telephone at 8.30 and hope to get through and get appt that day.
It’s when you have to go to hospital that’s a shambles .
Good luck

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Accessing a GP on 10:57 - Feb 6 with 780 viewsAnotherJohn

The surgery I am registered with uses the online AskMyGP system to notify the surgery of the need for a consultation or advice. Usually this means the GP rings back later that day. However, recently the system has been down on some days, and there is also the problem that certain GPs only work certain days. I would say this system is not too bad, but is creaking a bit under strain.

One alternative based on a mutual society model is online GP consultations via Benenden Health:

https://www.benenden.co.uk/

This organisation started life in the days before the NHS as a mutual assistance society for Post Office workers, centring originally on treatments for TB. It aims to supplement rather than replace the NHS. May be worth a look.
Accessing a GP on 16:43 - Feb 6 with 708 viewsbuilthjack

I haven't seen Dr in about 20 years ir more. Luckily.
But my Mrs made an appointment for herself at 8.30am yesterday , and was seeing the Doc at 11am. Fantastic.
[Post edited 6 Feb 18:57]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Accessing a GP on 16:57 - Feb 6 with 699 viewsGwyn737

Accessing a GP on 16:43 - Feb 6 by builthjack

I haven't seen Dr in about 20 years ir more. Luckily.
But my Mrs made an appointment for herself at 8.30am yesterday , and was seeing the Doc at 11am. Fantastic.
[Post edited 6 Feb 18:57]

That would have been amazing.

From my experience, I can really see why people go and clog up A&E.
Accessing a GP on 20:26 - Feb 6 with 615 viewsSullutaCreturned

Accessing a GP on 16:57 - Feb 6 by Gwyn737

That would have been amazing.

From my experience, I can really see why people go and clog up A&E.

We've had so many problems we signed up with Benenden.

We've, at various times, been unable to get through, unable to speak to a doctor, unable to get a call back when we have gotten through and waited hours.

It's not the staffs fault. There's not enough GP's and it's a problem across Wales. Across England too apparently.

The whole UK is falling apart, darned politicians, wherever you look they are useless.
Accessing a GP on 20:48 - Feb 6 with 602 viewsDr_Winston

The issue appears to be that a lot of GP surgeries have gone the internet route, which doesn't suit a lot of patients.

I mostly communicate with mine these days via the "Ask my GP" service online, and to be honest they've been excellent. Seen within hours, sometimes even minutes when needed (got phoned to be offered a flu jab about 30 seconds after requesting one online).

Problem is a lot of people just can't do stuff online and they've been a bit left behind.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Accessing a GP on 21:18 - Feb 6 with 590 viewsKeithHaynes

Accessing a GP on 10:57 - Feb 6 by AnotherJohn

The surgery I am registered with uses the online AskMyGP system to notify the surgery of the need for a consultation or advice. Usually this means the GP rings back later that day. However, recently the system has been down on some days, and there is also the problem that certain GPs only work certain days. I would say this system is not too bad, but is creaking a bit under strain.

One alternative based on a mutual society model is online GP consultations via Benenden Health:

https://www.benenden.co.uk/

This organisation started life in the days before the NHS as a mutual assistance society for Post Office workers, centring originally on treatments for TB. It aims to supplement rather than replace the NHS. May be worth a look.

Bet they didn’t see that on the Horizon back then.,

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Accessing a GP on 21:43 - Feb 6 with 582 viewsmajorraglan

Sounds like you saw an advanced nurse practitioner, their nurses or other healthcare professionals who are trained up to Masters level to deal with some medical issues in Primary Care. It’s way to increase the number of people able to deal with the public and it’s also cheaper than a GP.

It’s something that’s asking off in hospitals too where you have a similarly qualified staff working on wards. Quite often they’re highly trained and very knowledgable in their field, in many cases as good as a junior doctor.

I was referred to the hospital a few years ago for a suspicious mole, went to the hospital and i was seen by a nurse. Said nurse did the examination and the subsequent removal procedure the following week and sent it off for testing.

I got sorted very quickly, didn’t have to wait to see the consultant which speeded things up and meant the consultant could see someone else.
Login to get fewer ads

Accessing a GP on 22:00 - Feb 6 with 571 viewslifelong

Accessing a GP on 20:48 - Feb 6 by Dr_Winston

The issue appears to be that a lot of GP surgeries have gone the internet route, which doesn't suit a lot of patients.

I mostly communicate with mine these days via the "Ask my GP" service online, and to be honest they've been excellent. Seen within hours, sometimes even minutes when needed (got phoned to be offered a flu jab about 30 seconds after requesting one online).

Problem is a lot of people just can't do stuff online and they've been a bit left behind.

I also have used ask my GP recently and found it very good.
Accessing a GP on 22:30 - Feb 6 with 561 viewsmax936

Doctors surgeries are a nightmare, Covid has given them a great opportunity to make things really difficult for patients, we got to phone after 8:30 am to get an appointment etc, half the time you'll never get through or get through and be told all appointments have been taken. we phone around 25 past now and there's usually a smallish que, but if they answer they'll tell you phone back at 8:30.

I need to see my GP for an issue that I thought had cleared, but with me working in customers houses, its virtually impossible.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Accessing a GP on 22:40 - Feb 6 with 551 viewsDr_Winston

Accessing a GP on 22:00 - Feb 6 by lifelong

I also have used ask my GP recently and found it very good.

I almost feel guilty when I hope that the people who still ring their GP surgeries never cotton on to how easy it is to just do things online or they'll ruin it for us.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Accessing a GP on 23:00 - Feb 6 with 533 viewstheloneranger

Many surgeries in the Swansea area are not on "Ask My GP" yet.

They may be part of "My Health Online" but sadly many surgeries are a long way away from offering "Ask My GP" to their patients.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Accessing a GP on 07:59 - Feb 7 with 479 viewsGwyn737

I’d have loved to have had that option.
Accessing a GP on 09:28 - Feb 7 with 454 viewsonehunglow

Accessing a GP on 22:30 - Feb 6 by max936

Doctors surgeries are a nightmare, Covid has given them a great opportunity to make things really difficult for patients, we got to phone after 8:30 am to get an appointment etc, half the time you'll never get through or get through and be told all appointments have been taken. we phone around 25 past now and there's usually a smallish que, but if they answer they'll tell you phone back at 8:30.

I need to see my GP for an issue that I thought had cleared, but with me working in customers houses, its virtually impossible.

Same with our GP service ?is all about getting through
When a kid,we were with Dr Clifford in Elgin St. Leslie and George used to make home visits and we lived literally 50 yds away

Accessing a GP on 09:34 - Feb 7 with 450 viewstheloneranger

Accessing a GP on 09:28 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

Same with our GP service ?is all about getting through
When a kid,we were with Dr Clifford in Elgin St. Leslie and George used to make home visits and we lived literally 50 yds away

It was brothers - Drs Clifford and Leslie George.

Accessing a GP on 09:54 - Feb 7 with 442 viewsonehunglow

Accessing a GP on 09:34 - Feb 7 by theloneranger

It was brothers - Drs Clifford and Leslie George.

As I said.
I recall the surgeries stank and we waited on wooden benches

Accessing a GP on 10:13 - Feb 7 with 437 viewstheloneranger

Accessing a GP on 09:54 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

As I said.
I recall the surgeries stank and we waited on wooden benches

Read what you wrote again, concerning their names.

Accessing a GP on 10:20 - Feb 7 with 434 viewsonehunglow

Accessing a GP on 10:13 - Feb 7 by theloneranger

Read what you wrote again, concerning their names.

I remembered the surnames though and their Christian names .
You’re shyt hot ,make no mistake
I’m going back over 65 years ,mun.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024