Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100 years as an EFL club 21:14 - May 7 with 1359 viewsEllDale

So the landmark has passed, a notable centenary.
TVOS has been the usual impressive publication once again this season (massive thanks to the editor and his contributors) and one of the features I’ve enjoyed has been the reports of what happened week by week in 1921/22.
Two things have struck me after reading last week’s edition.
The first was that Dale finished rock bottom of Division Three North in that inaugural season, something that I had never been aware of previously.
The other was how many clubs in that division at the time have simply disappeared subsequently, teams like Nelson, Ashington and Durham.
Several more of the others survive but lower down the football pyramid.
We owe a massive vote of thanks to various boards of directors, supporters clubs in various guises and fans who, over the last one hundred years, have kept this club that we love afloat and in existence.
It hasn’t been easy based in what for the most part has been an impoverished town and there have been one or two scary times.
The early 1930s don’t look to have been pleasant times for the club and there were times in the 1970s that I can remember where league survival seemed a precarious prospect.
There have been a few “great escapes”.
But Rochdale are still a Football League club and I am eternally grateful to everyone who has helped that to happen.
100 years as an EFL club on 22:48 - May 7 with 1204 viewsD_Alien

Marked down by accident (rectified)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

100 years as an EFL club on 11:42 - May 8 with 912 viewsTVOS1907

Thanks EllDale.

It was a challenging series to write, as it wasn't practical to keep visiting Touchstones to read up on the games from that season, so I had to look elsewhere.

Fortunately, the British National Newspaper Archive came to my rescue. Annoyingly, they haven't yet got the Ob's from 1921/22 on their site, but they do have the Rochdale Times, which was another paper of that time.

Plans are already afoot for next season - but first a little break from it all!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024