Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southend match - the view of an exile 16:26 - Sep 3 with 5760 viewssuffolkdale

As I am normally someone who reads the reports/views of others for once it was good to be one of the 181, see it for yourself and then read others comments who weren't at the game, based on their previous opinions and short video evidence.
First of all it was a pleasure to be there as the team played their socks off for the shirt, no problems with morale or togetherness that I could see. The tenor of the game was established in the first minute when Jim fouled their winger and Phil Brown was already screaming at the referee for cards/ action etc - as a regular at the Dale's games at Southend something I have come to sadly expect as his teams are always a mirror image of the man and the officials not for the first time were completely taken in.
For example in the build up to the penalty incident Fortune was pulling our defenders shirt, as he did all game, right in front of the linesman - foul Southend. Corner, couldn't see the incident but not even Southend complained, penalty. Great save from Brendan Moore, in rushes Cox foot up right into the body of Moore, who could have writhed as per Phil Brown but chose to be professional and so nothing given from the ref.
As for Hendo's sending off - he was reaching for the ball, got the ball, the player went as well and then writhed accordingly. Slow motion replays are ok but they can prove almost anything if frozen at the right/wrong point and to me it was a strong challenge - cue same linesman Mr Cooper and off goes Hendo. By this time 'crippled' Southend player well away from the scene trotting around quite happily and watch the Sky highlights - note the winking Southend player, they knew exactly what they were doing and the linesman and ref fell for it.
After that it was a 'backs to the wall' performance in a game with eleven men I thought we could have won. Man of the match by a mile was Moore who commanded his area superbly, a long time since I have seen a Dale goalie time and time again pluck the ball from the air which must have given great confidence to the defence. Everybody else put in a shift, not perfect but a special mention for the Williams duo and a cameo from Donerven Daniels who if 10 minutes is anything to go by will be quite a signing.
All opinions are of course mine, based on first hand evidence as most of the crucial action happened right in front of us. Perhaps next year we will win at Southend .......... but in terms of a 0-0 draw much to be proud of and build upon. Up the Dale!
Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:36 - Sep 3 with 4985 viewsTVOS1907

Cox was booked for the post-penalty incident.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:44 - Sep 3 with 4960 viewssuffolkdale

Ah - thank you for that - much confusion as to what the ref was doing at that point and I clearly missed it - I stand corrected! Yellow though, not red, was it because Moore didn't writhe around, you do wonder ...............
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 16:46]
Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:47 - Sep 3 with 4941 viewsBartRowou

Cheers for the positive write-up SD. Sounds like we're starting to get into gear. Just a shame we can't hit the ground running.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:50 - Sep 3 with 4924 viewsTVOS1907

Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:44 - Sep 3 by suffolkdale

Ah - thank you for that - much confusion as to what the ref was doing at that point and I clearly missed it - I stand corrected! Yellow though, not red, was it because Moore didn't writhe around, you do wonder ...............

I doubt what Moore did or didn't do had much influence.

Not sure why you've marked my post down, though.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 16:50]

Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:01 - Sep 3 with 4870 viewsCanaDale

Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:47 - Sep 3 by BartRowou

Cheers for the positive write-up SD. Sounds like we're starting to get into gear. Just a shame we can't hit the ground running.

now if those forward boys can click into gear that'd be super.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:07 - Sep 3 with 4852 viewsTalkingSutty

Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:50 - Sep 3 by TVOS1907

Just looking at that tackle of Henderson, how anybody can even suggest it wasn't a red card knows very little about football, it's one of the easiest decisions the ref will make all season. Henderson launches himself in the air to make the tackle, it could only be a red card.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:16 - Sep 3 with 4827 viewsSuddenLad

Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:50 - Sep 3 by TVOS1907

First time I've seen the highlights as opposed to the freeze-frame stuff. Funny how things are viewed differently.

Referee clearly indicates that the penalty was conceded by McNulty, despite others yesterday saying it was Rafferty or Moore.

Hendo should know better than to give the referee a choice of decisions to make, but one angle is not always conclusive...

As suffolkdale points out, from the reactions of Southend players, it looks like they are indicating 'job done' to each other as Hendo begins the lonely walk. They offered the bait and he bit.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:19 - Sep 3 with 4812 viewsmacro

Southend match - the view of an exile on 16:44 - Sep 3 by suffolkdale

Red was deserved for Henderson regardless of any play acting by Southend. You can't jump into a challenge like that. Yellow was deserved for Cox.
Login to get fewer ads

Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:41 - Sep 3 with 4737 viewssuffolkdale

Apologies TVOS, it should have been up not down, to say thank you!
Southend match - the view of an exile on 18:16 - Sep 3 with 4645 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:07 - Sep 3 by TalkingSutty

Just looking at that tackle of Henderson, how anybody can even suggest it wasn't a red card knows very little about football, it's one of the easiest decisions the ref will make all season. Henderson launches himself in the air to make the tackle, it could only be a red card.

Sadly the referee didn't make the decision - it was all on the say-so of his assistant who was infuriatingly inconsistent throughout the game. In point of fact the referee didn't even give a free-kick originally.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 18:19 - Sep 3 with 4631 viewsBobbyjoe

And, to be fair to the ref (who I thought had at least as good a game as any of the players!), he took his time before judging, correctly, that red was the appropriate option. Referees are just as aware of players' and managers' antics as fans, I imagine.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 19:18 - Sep 3 with 4519 viewsTVOS1907

Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:41 - Sep 3 by suffolkdale

Apologies TVOS, it should have been up not down, to say thank you!

No worries.

Southend match - the view of an exile on 19:20 - Sep 3 with 4508 viewsTVOS1907

Southend match - the view of an exile on 18:16 - Sep 3 by RegJenkinsBoot

Sadly the referee didn't make the decision - it was all on the say-so of his assistant who was infuriatingly inconsistent throughout the game. In point of fact the referee didn't even give a free-kick originally.

But the officials work as a team, so it doesn't actually matter who makes the decision.

If you watch the YouTube video I posted, at the point of contact, the referee's view is obscured by the other Southend player, so his assistant had a clearer view.

Furthermore, they communicate through their earpieces and there was virtually a split second between the foul and the referee pointing for a free-kick on his assistant's say-so.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 19:34]

Southend match - the view of an exile on 19:21 - Sep 3 with 4506 viewsTVOS1907

Southend match - the view of an exile on 17:16 - Sep 3 by SuddenLad

First time I've seen the highlights as opposed to the freeze-frame stuff. Funny how things are viewed differently.

Referee clearly indicates that the penalty was conceded by McNulty, despite others yesterday saying it was Rafferty or Moore.

Hendo should know better than to give the referee a choice of decisions to make, but one angle is not always conclusive...

As suffolkdale points out, from the reactions of Southend players, it looks like they are indicating 'job done' to each other as Hendo begins the lonely walk. They offered the bait and he bit.

But by the same token, one could argue our players were trying to influence the referee to send-off Cox.

We can't have it both ways.

Southend match - the view of an exile on 19:23 - Sep 3 with 4501 viewsTalkingSutty

Southend match - the view of an exile on 18:16 - Sep 3 by RegJenkinsBoot

So you reckon the referee would have just let play continue if the linesman hadn't informed him, I'm not having that one sorry. The linesman is there to assist the referee and they work as a team,the referee ultimately makes the decision and that's what he did. Consulting the linesman before making the decision is just common sense. Anyway, there's an appeal process if the Club and Henderson feel hard done by.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 19:49 - Sep 3 with 4447 viewsdingdangblue

Hasn't Hill said it wasn't a red? And it's Phil Brown's fault because he cuddled the official?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Southend match - the view of an exile on 20:07 - Sep 3 with 4417 viewsTalkingSutty

Southend match - the view of an exile on 19:49 - Sep 3 by dingdangblue

Hasn't Hill said it wasn't a red? And it's Phil Brown's fault because he cuddled the official?

Hill didn't say if it was a sending off or not, he just mentioned the referees bad decision making instead of Hendersons.Then started going on about cuddles with Brown, what that had to do with the actual challenge is beyond me.

It's got to the point with away fixtures that i fear us shooting ourselves in the foot by picking up a red card more than facing our actual opponents. Most of the reds are stupid challenges in negative areas of the pitch. Hendersons red cards at Bury, Wigan, Oldham, Southend all have the same DNA, reckless tackles for no reason in harmless areas of the pitch. If this was one of our younger players doing this Hill would be ripping strips off him.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 20:20]
Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:00 - Sep 3 with 4340 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Southend match - the view of an exile on 19:23 - Sep 3 by TalkingSutty

So you reckon the referee would have just let play continue if the linesman hadn't informed him, I'm not having that one sorry. The linesman is there to assist the referee and they work as a team,the referee ultimately makes the decision and that's what he did. Consulting the linesman before making the decision is just common sense. Anyway, there's an appeal process if the Club and Henderson feel hard done by.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying !! If the linesman hadn't "informed" him he would have let play continue and, to counter TVOS' comment, there was far more than a "split second" before the ref finally reached a decision.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:04 - Sep 3 with 4322 viewsTVOS1907

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:00 - Sep 3 by RegJenkinsBoot

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying !! If the linesman hadn't "informed" him he would have let play continue and, to counter TVOS' comment, there was far more than a "split second" before the ref finally reached a decision.

OK, 1-2 seconds then. I'm sure the ear-piece technology is as instant as it can be, particularly with background crowd noise, etc.

However, the timing is immaterial as between them the officials came to a decision which most people agree with.

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:13 - Sep 3 with 4290 viewsTalkingSutty

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:00 - Sep 3 by RegJenkinsBoot

Not sure about this but aren't all the officials microphoned up to liaise regarding decisions, they work as a team? The referee doesn't have to make a split decision, but looking at that challenge on the screen there's no doubt it's a straight red by the letter of the law. If you think the challenge is ok then obviously you are entitled to your opinion. I think it's great when a referee consults his assistant before making a big decision, or if the linesman seizes the initiative and calls over the ref, that's what they should be doing, helping each other.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 21:21]
Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:19 - Sep 3 with 4265 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:04 - Sep 3 by TVOS1907

OK, 1-2 seconds then. I'm sure the ear-piece technology is as instant as it can be, particularly with background crowd noise, etc.

However, the timing is immaterial as between them the officials came to a decision which most people agree with.

No. What is incontrovertible is that Hendo gave the officials an opportunity to reach their decision. Whether it was a correct decision at the moment of the tackle itself (and whether the blatant gamesmanship of the Southend player also played a significant part in the decision-making process) is a moot point.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:27 - Sep 3 with 4235 viewsTVOS1907

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:19 - Sep 3 by RegJenkinsBoot

No. What is incontrovertible is that Hendo gave the officials an opportunity to reach their decision. Whether it was a correct decision at the moment of the tackle itself (and whether the blatant gamesmanship of the Southend player also played a significant part in the decision-making process) is a moot point.

So maybe Henderson might have been better off not making such a tackle in the first place?

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:42 - Sep 3 with 4200 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:27 - Sep 3 by TVOS1907

So maybe Henderson might have been better off not making such a tackle in the first place?

I believe that's what I intimated.
Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:59 - Sep 3 with 4163 viewsdingdangblue

Southend match - the view of an exile on 21:27 - Sep 3 by TVOS1907

Which was all down to himself - miscontrolling Moore's kickout. Had he controlled the ball correctly he wouldn't have had to dive in. It's definitely a problem he has - it's as if he was so mad he'd lost the ball he didn't care how he got it back.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Southend match - the view of an exile on 22:26 - Sep 3 with 4091 viewsscarrow

Henderson is a quality player of that there is little doubt but the amount of red cards he’s received (more than any other Dale player?) is a flaw in his play. The players though must be aware that certain teams, like those of Brown and Darren Ferguson have dubious professionalism when rolling about on the floor, time wasting etc.
At the end of the day I reckon 95% of people understand that regardless of whether contact was made with the ball the first part of the challenge was the reason the red was shown. It’s baffling that there is the odd person who can’t be persuaded that Henderson made a very poor decision despite the clear video evidence.

Poll: Final position

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024