Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taxi 08:55 - May 23 with 4784 viewsrochdaleriddler

Well a good 5 years since I raised the issue of dodgy taxi licences issued in rossendale, today's times has the full details of thousands of licences issued to men who were wholly unsuited to taxi driving plying their trade all over the country. What a disgrace

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Taxi on 09:18 - May 23 with 4747 viewsrochdale_ranger

I’m from Rossendale originally and live the other side of Stockport now and see taxis around here with Rossendale badges on them all the time.
Taxi on 09:21 - May 23 with 4738 viewsrochdaleriddler

Taxi on 09:18 - May 23 by rochdale_ranger

I’m from Rossendale originally and live the other side of Stockport now and see taxis around here with Rossendale badges on them all the time.

My mate was a councillor in Rotherham and she told me about it years ago, the ones driving there all had convictions

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Taxi on 09:50 - May 23 with 4685 viewsisitme

Supposedly it is easier to get one in Rosendale that elsewhere locally. There was an article in the MEN a few months ago about Manchester taxi drivers complaining about cars with Rossendale plates working on their patch.

The Times investigation will yield no surprises and this is about licensed drivers , I wonder how many taxi drivers are unlicensed?I do wonder why these issues do not get addressed by the council and/or police?
[Post edited 23 May 2018 9:52]
Taxi on 09:56 - May 23 with 4669 viewsrochdaleriddler

Taxi on 09:50 - May 23 by isitme

Supposedly it is easier to get one in Rosendale that elsewhere locally. There was an article in the MEN a few months ago about Manchester taxi drivers complaining about cars with Rossendale plates working on their patch.

The Times investigation will yield no surprises and this is about licensed drivers , I wonder how many taxi drivers are unlicensed?I do wonder why these issues do not get addressed by the council and/or police?
[Post edited 23 May 2018 9:52]

It is about the quality of the application procedure, these guys would not get a licence anywhere else.

Taxi on 10:00 - May 23 with 4660 viewsrochdale_ranger

Taxi on 09:56 - May 23 by rochdaleriddler

It is about the quality of the application procedure, these guys would not get a licence anywhere else.

When you say the guys are not appropriate to taxi driving what do you mean by that?
Taxi on 10:09 - May 23 with 4643 viewsSuddenLad

There are lots of visiting licensed taxis in south Manchester simply because of the airport run. I've seen them from as far away as York and Stoke. In many cases, they aren't taxis for 24 hours a day, and will be used like any other family car when the driver isn't actually on duty and plying for trade.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Taxi on 10:31 - May 23 with 4598 viewsrochdaleriddler

Taxi on 10:00 - May 23 by rochdale_ranger

When you say the guys are not appropriate to taxi driving what do you mean by that?

Convictions for violence, dishonesty etc

Taxi on 10:45 - May 23 with 4576 viewsBigKindo

From the Times article.

'Police revealed last week that 60 minicab drivers suspected of child sexual exploitation in Newcastle upon Tyne have had their licences suspended. Almost half are thought to have been licensed by different councils.

Licensing officers in Rochdale said three years ago that efforts to tackle sexual exploitation and improve “driver probity” were undermined by the “numerous drivers” working under licences issued by neighbouring Rossendale, where a “lower standard” was applied. Drivers with Rossendale licences have been convicted of offences in York, Milton Keynes and Manchester. In 2016 its licences were used by more than 400 taxi drivers working in Sheffield, 250 in Derby and 200 in Bradford.'
[Post edited 23 May 2018 10:47]
Login to get fewer ads

Taxi on 10:47 - May 23 with 4570 viewsrochdale_ranger

Taxi on 10:09 - May 23 by SuddenLad

There are lots of visiting licensed taxis in south Manchester simply because of the airport run. I've seen them from as far away as York and Stoke. In many cases, they aren't taxis for 24 hours a day, and will be used like any other family car when the driver isn't actually on duty and plying for trade.

Ive rung the taxi firms around here and when their taxis arrive they have the Rossendale badges on he side. When you ask them about Rossendale they are none the wiser. I didn’t know it was a thing until now.
Taxi on 11:12 - May 23 with 4539 viewsrochdaleriddler

That is not what we are talking about here, it is criminals using a system that isn't fit for purpose to get a taxi licence to use anywhere in U.K.

Taxi on 11:20 - May 23 with 4517 viewsflyerdale

Wolverhampton plates are taking over rossendale these days as they are handing them and badges out like sweets and online so the driver only has to go down there once to pick them up. The main users of these are uber and shady firms who need to badge up dodgy drivers, so think on when you next order a industry killing uber car. They are leading the rest to the bottom until they have control over all areas then raise their prices beyond any levels now.
Taxi on 11:21 - May 23 with 4512 viewsKenBoon

Probably because the passengers going to the airport are from York, Stoke and other cities.
Taxi on 11:23 - May 23 with 4509 viewsflyerdale

They aren't plying for hire in South Manchester as they are on advanced bookings. Have you noticed a lot of wednesfield cars liveried up taxis around South Manchester? They have Wolverhampton plates on and are something to do with club cars. I've seen them picking up in heald Green and Wythenshaw. How are Manchester City Council going to know who is driving these cars in their areas??!!!
Taxi on 11:40 - May 23 with 4479 viewsSuddenLad

Taxi on 11:21 - May 23 by KenBoon

Probably because the passengers going to the airport are from York, Stoke and other cities.

Exactly my point. Seeing a plate from a different area doesn't automatically suggest there are shenanigans afoot or that the driver is doing anything other than carrying out his legitimate work.

Whilst I accept that Rossendale has a reputation for its' less than exemplary issuance of licence plates, the fact that it borders our area increases the likelihood of their registered plates encroaching into Rochdale.

There are obviously real problems with the way that some (many ?) councils currently check (or don't check) the applicants details properly and inevitably, there will be those who slip through the net. No system is infallible and there will always be those who seek to break the rules.

It would help if there were better sanctions applied, both to councils and drivers where criminality is uncovered. Drivers should be disqualified, cars should be impounded, applicants should be refused licences for a 10 year period. Imprisonment should be an option for repeat offenders. Until we treat it seriously, the system will be easily and regularly abused.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Taxi on 11:50 - May 23 with 4455 viewsjudd

Fcuk taxis and Uber, I just use Carriages.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Taxi on 12:22 - May 23 with 4403 viewssweetcorn

Whilst on taxi’s, saturday night was near impossible to get a taxi between the hours of 9-12 due to ramadan.

Does anyone know any firms (barring cosy, they wont travel out of lboro if they’re busy) who have some white drivers whilst it’s ramadan?

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Taxi on 12:57 - May 23 with 4336 viewsrochdale_ranger

Taxi on 12:22 - May 23 by sweetcorn

Whilst on taxi’s, saturday night was near impossible to get a taxi between the hours of 9-12 due to ramadan.

Does anyone know any firms (barring cosy, they wont travel out of lboro if they’re busy) who have some white drivers whilst it’s ramadan?

Castleton cars.
Taxi on 13:45 - May 23 with 4242 viewsflyerdale

Taxi on 12:57 - May 23 by rochdale_ranger

Castleton cars.

They don't have any. Unless you mean the now defunct castle.
Taxi on 20:17 - May 23 with 3947 viewsR17ALE

Well this thread has cleared up some confusion. I was driving through Burnage a few weeks ago and noticed a sign near the Aldi on Kingsway advertising for Rossendale taxi drivers to drive for a Manchester based taxi firm. It's been bugging me ever since as I thought it was very odd at the time, but at least now I see why.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Taxi on 20:25 - May 23 with 3930 viewsdownunder

I drove for Town Taxis (Public Hire) for a time, and weekly complaints to the council about Private hire taking flag downs were made. A story from that time was when Ton and Country cars were being inspected by the Council. They were impressed that their cars always had brand new tyres. That was until a mechanic put some chalk marks on, and it was realised it was the same set of tyres was being inspected on all their cars
Taxi on 00:30 - May 24 with 3748 viewssmithy

I heard on BBC radio earlier that 2 years ago there were over 2500 hackney cab licenses on issue from Rossendale council. Apparently this meant there was a taxi driver for every 19 people in Rossendale. Why would Rossendale council issue so many licenses? Backhanders all round
Taxi on 02:07 - May 24 with 3724 viewsJames1980

Coming from a complete position of ignorance here, I am interested as the why people think these licences are handed out, when it is not appropriate to do so.
1. Due to cuts from central government council are using anyway they can to bolster their coffers
2. Those issuing the licences are not refusing those from certain groups for fear of accusations of bigotry
3.Backhanders.
4.Insufficient checks due to lack of staff
5.combination of the above and or other factors

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024