Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DVLA 11:26 - Mar 1 with 9820 viewsBarrySwan

So had one of those amazing conversations with a government body Friday which I find hard to get my head round.

Now I have to say that my experiences with the DVLA over the years have been pretty good with the odd minor exception but Fridays conversation with D*** surname can't be given ( despite them asking for my full name) from team 35 sums up for me why so many of the public have lost faith with the authorities.

The scenario is that I have been contacted by a number of local residents who have reported a dumped car in their close, the car is shown as being been declared SORN on the .GOV website. The car has been on the public road since October and has been reported both in December and January on the DVLA's anonymous reporting facility on their website with nothing happening in regards the removal of the car.

I suppose like most people including those who had reported the car previously it was imagined that one of those roving DVLA clamping vans.would be provided with the details and either fairly immediately or when next in the area would drive to the location and clamp the car.

So after checking the facts I called up the DVLA to see what was going on, or not as the case is at present.

I won't relay all the almost bizarre conversation with D*** from team 35 but the crux of the conversation went something like this after I enquired as to why the car had not been clamped or removed

DVALA....Sir the car or any other vehicle in a sorned category on the public road will be clamped if one of our vans come across it when in the area.

Me...Yes but that's unlikely as the car is in a small close well into an estate, and surely given that you have the details of the cars location then those details are passed onto the operative of one of your vans for checking out?

DVLA.....Sir when we receive reports from our tip off website facility the current registered keeper of the vehicle of the car is sent a letter telling them to take the car off the public highway.

Me...I see so presumably then the keeper / owner of this car must have ignored two previous letters from the previous two reportings to you? So why haven't you sent a van round to clamp the car?

DVLA....Our vans only clamp cars that they come across whilst patrolling the streets.

Me....What are you talking about? So you clamp cars that the vans stumble across but just send letters to those that are reported by the public despite the DVLA being in full possession of the cars location and despite the public being urged report such vehicles by the DVLA?

DVLA... That's right sir.

Me.... Buts that's nonsensical, those who aren't reported but are caught on the road are clamped but those whose locations are known to you just get a letter to remove the vehicle from the roads despite the fact that it might not be taxed and is shown as having no MOT which I also understand invalidates any insurance policy?

DVLA... Sir the car is Sorned which means it is licensed.

Me....What does that even mean? Presumably its licenced to be on someones drive not the public highway.

DVLA...Sir a Sorned car is licensed vehicle.

Me.... Well can you tell if the car is even taxed or not or if letters actually have gone out on the two previous occasions that the car was reported to you?

DVLA....We're just a call centre we don't hold that information.

ME...Well can you pass me over to someone who can provide more information as to why a reported sorned vehicle owner is just sent a letter whilst a vehicle stumbled across by chance gets clamped and possibly towed away.

I'd have thought it preferable and more time productive to go straight to those vehicles whose location has already been provided by the public and what do you suggest that we do to get the car either made legal for road use or taken away?

DVLA...No you'll have to contact your MP if you wish to to take this any further.

Phone put down in disbelief by myself.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 12:27]
DVLA on 20:30 - Mar 1 with 1368 viewsFlashberryjack

DVLA on 20:29 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

What, that this is a fun thread?

Exactly

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

DVLA on 20:31 - Mar 1 with 1365 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 20:27 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

And is in charge of the mysterious team 35.

They sound fabulous by the way.

I’m a big fan of D*** after this thread. I’m going to assume he’s called Dick. I’m a big fan of Dick.

Ooh, matron.

Poll: Tory leader

DVLA on 20:32 - Mar 1 with 1357 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 20:21 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

It’s a parked car.

Unless I’m missing something?

Perhaps other things are more important for the police?

Interesting thread though. I had no idea it was a matter for the DVLA.

I’d assumed it was the council. In fact, we had one a few years ago that was parked for ages and was obviously dumped as it had expired tax etc (when there were still tax discs) and the council came and took it away. If I’d known I would have complained to ECB...

Local authorities have the legal powers to remove abandoned vehicles. As do the police.

DVLA on 20:32 - Mar 1 with 1357 viewslondonlisa2001

DVLA on 20:31 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

I’m a big fan of D*** after this thread. I’m going to assume he’s called Dick. I’m a big fan of Dick.

Ooh, matron.

I thought his name was Ding. Surname which can’t be given, Dong.

Ding dong.
DVLA on 20:32 - Mar 1 with 1354 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 20:30 - Mar 1 by Flashberryjack

Exactly

I’ve no idea what you’re on about.

DVLA on 20:33 - Mar 1 with 1352 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 20:32 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

I thought his name was Ding. Surname which can’t be given, Dong.

Ding dong.

It’s plausible.

DVLA on 20:34 - Mar 1 with 1350 viewslondonlisa2001

DVLA on 20:32 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

Local authorities have the legal powers to remove abandoned vehicles. As do the police.

So it’s Barryswan’s fault then?

Wow.
DVLA on 20:36 - Mar 1 with 1342 viewslondonlisa2001

DVLA on 20:33 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

It’s plausible.

Ding Plausible?

That’s an unusual name fair play.

Although Ding won’t thank you for putting that on the Internet.
Login to get fewer ads

DVLA on 20:37 - Mar 1 with 1339 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 20:34 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

So it’s Barryswan’s fault then?

Wow.

I didn’t like to point it out to be honest and I have enjoyed this thread.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/abandoned-vehicles-council-responsibilities

DVLA on 20:37 - Mar 1 with 1340 viewsNeath_Jack

DVLA on 20:36 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

Ding Plausible?

That’s an unusual name fair play.

Although Ding won’t thank you for putting that on the Internet.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

DVLA on 20:45 - Mar 1 with 1329 viewsDarran

Local councillors need to be doing more in this situation. If you’re afraid of upsetting one of the main party’s contact an Independent.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

DVLA on 20:53 - Mar 1 with 1304 viewsFlashberryjack

DVLA on 20:32 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

I’ve no idea what you’re on about.

A word used to emphasize the accuracy of a figure or description.

Hello

DVLA on 20:56 - Mar 1 with 1290 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 20:53 - Mar 1 by Flashberryjack

A word used to emphasize the accuracy of a figure or description.

I’ve just realised it’s Sunday and you’ve been at the ale again.

DVLA on 21:09 - Mar 1 with 1260 viewsFlashberryjack

DVLA on 20:56 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

Typical response.

Hello

DVLA on 21:11 - Mar 1 with 1256 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 21:09 - Mar 1 by Flashberryjack

Typical response.

Hic

DVLA on 21:16 - Mar 1 with 1245 viewsFlashberryjack

DVLA on 21:11 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

Hic

I refer you to my earlier post.

Hello

DVLA on 21:21 - Mar 1 with 1234 viewsSwanjaxs

DVLA on 20:56 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

Sunday is Funday.

I bet even you have had a small sherry today ECB ...

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

DVLA on 21:24 - Mar 1 with 1229 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 21:21 - Mar 1 by Swanjaxs

Sunday is Funday.

Lemonade my friend. I don’t drink on Sundays. Or any other day apart from Saturday usually.

DVLA on 21:25 - Mar 1 with 1226 viewsBarrySwan

DVLA on 20:37 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

I didn’t like to point it out to be honest and I have enjoyed this thread.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/abandoned-vehicles-council-responsibilities

I think that that official guidance just about sums up what a mess the whole situation is.

And presumably doesn't apply anyway if someone is still driving a vehicle about which has been reported by the public.

Its another shambles by the authorities.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 21:27]
DVLA on 21:27 - Mar 1 with 1219 viewsSwanjaxs

DVLA on 21:24 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

Lemonade my friend. I don’t drink on Sundays. Or any other day apart from Saturday usually.

Good for you.

I've just started Lent so not one drop of alcohol will pass my lips until April 9th ... 😇

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

DVLA on 21:29 - Mar 1 with 1215 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 21:25 - Mar 1 by BarrySwan

I think that that official guidance just about sums up what a mess the whole situation is.

And presumably doesn't apply anyway if someone is still driving a vehicle about which has been reported by the public.

Its another shambles by the authorities.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 21:27]

Not really. Local authorities have a duty to remove vehicles in the exact scenario you outlined at the start of this thread. But you’re trying to shirk your responsibilities.

Get it sorted, Cllr No Baloney. Your constituents expect you to act not to abrogate your responsibility, nay, your legal obligations, onto someone else. Shameful behaviour.

Edit to your edit - you said that the vehicle had been “dumped” since October. Now you’re saying it’s being driven round. Make up your mind, councillor.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 21:32]

DVLA on 21:34 - Mar 1 with 1197 viewsFlashberryjack

DVLA on 21:21 - Mar 1 by Swanjaxs

Sunday is Funday.

Hello

DVLA on 21:36 - Mar 1 with 1195 viewsdickythorpe

It's a ghost car!!!

DVLA on 21:41 - Mar 1 with 1185 viewsNeath_Jack

DVLA on 21:29 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

Not really. Local authorities have a duty to remove vehicles in the exact scenario you outlined at the start of this thread. But you’re trying to shirk your responsibilities.

Get it sorted, Cllr No Baloney. Your constituents expect you to act not to abrogate your responsibility, nay, your legal obligations, onto someone else. Shameful behaviour.

Edit to your edit - you said that the vehicle had been “dumped” since October. Now you’re saying it’s being driven round. Make up your mind, councillor.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 21:32]

Ah, it's St Athan idiot is it.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

DVLA on 21:42 - Mar 1 with 1183 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 21:41 - Mar 1 by Neath_Jack

Ah, it's St Athan idiot is it.

The very same.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024