Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . 09:50 - Apr 6 with 5514 viewsRobbie

Sad to read this schoolboy hero of mine has passed away aged 84 .
Memories of St. Helens on a sunny day and the likes of Alan Jones / Roy Fredericks opening
followed by Majid Khan , Tony Lewis and Peter Walker as the all-rounder , priceless .
Well renowned short leg and close in fielder too . RIP Mr. Walker .
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:51 - Apr 6 with 4085 viewsladyjack

RIP Peter Walker.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:53 - Apr 6 with 4086 viewsWarwickHunt

Lovely guy and a great cricketer. Part of a great Glamorgan team.

The best close fielder I’ve ever seen, bar none. Before helmets and proper padding too. Incredible.
Wasn’t his nickname Flypaper?
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 9:55]
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:56 - Apr 6 with 4070 viewssainthelens

Sad news that.
Remember him coming to sit n have a good chat with me as a 11yo watching cricket at st.helens with my grandad. Thoroughly decent guy.
RIP.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:58 - Apr 6 with 4059 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:56 - Apr 6 by sainthelens

Sad news that.
Remember him coming to sit n have a good chat with me as a 11yo watching cricket at st.helens with my grandad. Thoroughly decent guy.
RIP.

Always had time for us young fans. Proper gent.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 10:01 - Apr 6 with 4041 viewsleighton1318

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:56 - Apr 6 by sainthelens

Sad news that.
RIP.

That’s a shame. A great man.

Played Test cricket too. Three tests, and made a fifty. For a Glamorgan player that was (indeed still is) quite an achievement. He was good!
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 10:18 - Apr 6 with 4013 viewstheloneranger

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 10:01 - Apr 6 by leighton1318

That’s a shame. A great man.

Played Test cricket too. Three tests, and made a fifty. For a Glamorgan player that was (indeed still is) quite an achievement. He was good!

England won those 3 Test matches in 1960 against SA that he played in, yet he was never picked again ... despite the following season 1961 when he achieved the best ‘treble’ — runs, wickets and catches — ever recorded in the history of the first-class game - 1000+ runs, 100+ wickets and 73 catches.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 10:22 - Apr 6 with 4006 viewsdickythorpe

RIP

Just look at the catches he took, incredible.

His life story is the stuff of legends.
He worked his way over as a youth from South Africa.

Many a tale I've heard of how spectators were expecting umpires to single boundaries only for them to give the "OUT" signal as Peter had taken a spectacular and unlikely catch.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 10:25 - Apr 6 with 4000 viewstheloneranger

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:53 - Apr 6 by WarwickHunt

Lovely guy and a great cricketer. Part of a great Glamorgan team.

The best close fielder I’ve ever seen, bar none. Before helmets and proper padding too. Incredible.
Wasn’t his nickname Flypaper?
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 9:55]

∆∆ This, I couldn't have put it better.

This is taken from his autobiography .... "It's Not Just Cricket" ...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/peter-walker---triumphs-tears-2297

RIP Peter.

[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 10:36]

Login to get fewer ads

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 11:03 - Apr 6 with 3954 viewsThrasher6

Always had a gravitas about him. That something special. One of Glamorgan's finest...when we could name the team off pat....not sure I could name a couple of players now...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 11:12 - Apr 6 with 3944 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 11:03 - Apr 6 by Thrasher6

Always had a gravitas about him. That something special. One of Glamorgan's finest...when we could name the team off pat....not sure I could name a couple of players now...

Imagine batting on a St. Helen’s turner against Pressdee and Shepherd with the world’s best short leg six feet away from you.

Fûck 20-20 - THAT’S cricket.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 11:17 - Apr 6 with 3937 viewstheloneranger

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 11:12 - Apr 6 by WarwickHunt

Imagine batting on a St. Helen’s turner against Pressdee and Shepherd with the world’s best short leg six feet away from you.

Fûck 20-20 - THAT’S cricket.

How he became the world's best short leg, in his own words ...

"Becoming a close catcher"

"In 1957 I got into the county side in the middle of June. In my second match we played Warwickshire at Cardiff Arms Park and, much to Wilf's annoyance, were bowled out for 176 on a good pitch. It was a blazing hot day and, by late afternoon, we were fielding with the game slipping away fast.

The Arms Park was a massive ground, no 75-yard boundaries in those days. I was running between overs from third man to third man, a journey of some 200 yards each way. My diagonal cross-field route took me past our profusely sweating, less-than-pleased- with-life captain who, after an opening spell, was about to put on off-spinner, Jim McConnon.

As I crossed the pitch and eager to please, I asked, "Where would you like me to field skip?"

Wilf turned a baleful eye on me and said, in a phrase which was to change my cricketing life, "Oh, for Christ's sake, Peter, spit in the air and go where it lands."

He immediately lost interest in my whereabouts and set about placing the remainder of McConnon's field.

One rarely argued with Wilfred Wooller, most certainly not on the field. So, as a junior player, I did as I was told, moved to the edge of the pitch, lifted my head and spat in the air. It fell at short square leg. I went there and second ball from McConnon the Warwickshire batsman Norman Horner pushed forward, got an inside edge, I dived to my left and caught it at full stretch two inches above the ground.

I was to spend the majority of the next 16 years in that position! "

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:28 - Apr 6 with 3886 viewsJinxy

Yes, one of my heroes too. RIP Peter, you true gent.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:41 - Apr 6 with 3873 viewsSwanjaxs

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 11:17 - Apr 6 by theloneranger

How he became the world's best short leg, in his own words ...

"Becoming a close catcher"

"In 1957 I got into the county side in the middle of June. In my second match we played Warwickshire at Cardiff Arms Park and, much to Wilf's annoyance, were bowled out for 176 on a good pitch. It was a blazing hot day and, by late afternoon, we were fielding with the game slipping away fast.

The Arms Park was a massive ground, no 75-yard boundaries in those days. I was running between overs from third man to third man, a journey of some 200 yards each way. My diagonal cross-field route took me past our profusely sweating, less-than-pleased- with-life captain who, after an opening spell, was about to put on off-spinner, Jim McConnon.

As I crossed the pitch and eager to please, I asked, "Where would you like me to field skip?"

Wilf turned a baleful eye on me and said, in a phrase which was to change my cricketing life, "Oh, for Christ's sake, Peter, spit in the air and go where it lands."

He immediately lost interest in my whereabouts and set about placing the remainder of McConnon's field.

One rarely argued with Wilfred Wooller, most certainly not on the field. So, as a junior player, I did as I was told, moved to the edge of the pitch, lifted my head and spat in the air. It fell at short square leg. I went there and second ball from McConnon the Warwickshire batsman Norman Horner pushed forward, got an inside edge, I dived to my left and caught it at full stretch two inches above the ground.

I was to spend the majority of the next 16 years in that position! "

👏👏👏👏👏👏

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:42 - Apr 6 with 3871 viewsSwanjaxs

Gentleman on both sides of the white rope.

RIP

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 13:42 - Apr 6 with 3842 viewsdickythorpe

656 catches for Glammy!!!!

ct. Walker b. Shepherd

That's what my old man and grandpa were used to.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 14:53 - Apr 6 with 3799 viewsProfessor

Great servant for Glamorgan and part of my childhood as the sports presenter on Wales Today, usually in a nice V neck sweater. RIP Peter
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 18:04 - Apr 6 with 3739 viewsbryncochjack

Worth watching this again

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 18:53 - Apr 6 with 3693 viewstheloneranger

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 18:04 - Apr 6 by bryncochjack

Worth watching this again

Thanks, great memories and nail biting finishes. That's when Glamorgan were a team, and not a team of individuals!!

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 20:13 - Apr 6 with 3639 viewsPentyrchJack

Real gent and lovely bloke.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 20:36 - Apr 6 with 3626 viewsRobbie

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 18:53 - Apr 6 by theloneranger

Thanks, great memories and nail biting finishes. That's when Glamorgan were a team, and not a team of individuals!!

First memories of the Members Stand ( wooden benches ) on concrete terracing were the
Jones brothers Alan and Eifion both sitting , chatting to the crowd before start of play.
It did feel like a Glamorgan County Cricket experience for everyone involved .
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 20:50 - Apr 6 with 3613 viewsNotLoyal

84, a decent innings.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:01 - Apr 6 with 3604 viewsSwanjaxs

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 20:36 - Apr 6 by Robbie

First memories of the Members Stand ( wooden benches ) on concrete terracing were the
Jones brothers Alan and Eifion both sitting , chatting to the crowd before start of play.

Always thought Eifion a bit sirly with the younger fans.

Alan a gent though

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:34 - Apr 7 with 3529 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:01 - Apr 6 by Swanjaxs

Always thought Eifion a bit sirly with the younger fans.

Alan a gent though

Alan was a huge hero of mine and my all-time favourite Glamorgan player. I had the Stuart Surridge Alan Jones bat autographed by the man himself.

Very few players could match his effortless, exquisite off and cover drives. Incredibly unlucky to be in his prime when England had Boycott, Edrich and a few others also scoring prodigiously in county cricket.

England would kill for him now.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:48 - Apr 7 with 3510 viewssainthelens

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 20:36 - Apr 6 by Robbie

No question that back in the day (70s/early 80s) that st. Helens was a personable day out. From the open bank by the scoreboard to Fred's bar, the interaction with the players was excellent and often amusing. Even recall Ritchie Benaud coming around to chat to the crowd. A Sunday at the cricket was a great day out.
Sophia Gardens will never come close.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:00 - Apr 7 with 3502 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:48 - Apr 7 by sainthelens

No question that back in the day (70s/early 80s) that st. Helens was a personable day out. From the open bank by the scoreboard to Fred's bar, the interaction with the players was excellent and often amusing. Even recall Ritchie Benaud coming around to chat to the crowd. A Sunday at the cricket was a great day out.
Sophia Gardens will never come close.

John Arlott’s favourite ground. ‘Nuff said...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024