Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Busby 21:03 - May 28 with 1059 viewsSaintNick

Im not a fan of Manchester United, but you have to respect what Matt Busby did for the club

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Busby on 22:16 - May 28 with 1014 viewskingslandstand1

They've just shown bits of the 63 semi-final. 1st time I've seen any of that game and Terry Paine started pretty well
Busby on 08:14 - May 29 with 915 viewsdirk_doone

Busby on 22:16 - May 28 by kingslandstand1

They've just shown bits of the 63 semi-final. 1st time I've seen any of that game and Terry Paine started pretty well

1963 was when Paine was at his peak. He was one of the best players in the world then.

Watch this:

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Busby on 10:02 - May 29 with 883 viewsSaintNick

Busby on 08:14 - May 29 by dirk_doone

1963 was when Paine was at his peak. He was one of the best players in the world then.

Watch this:

Sadly I only saw him in the last three seasons of his career at the Dell, so between the ages of 33-35 but he was still a regular in the Saints team at a time when if you were still playing at 31-32 you were a rarity.

In his final season at the Dell 1973/74 he would miss only one league game, that being the final one at Everton when he allegedly fell out with Lawrie McMenemy .

It was great when he returned in 76/77 season aged 37 and still playing for Hereford as player coach and received a heroes welcome

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Busby on 10:41 - May 29 with 869 viewsdirk_doone

Busby on 10:02 - May 29 by SaintNick

Sadly I only saw him in the last three seasons of his career at the Dell, so between the ages of 33-35 but he was still a regular in the Saints team at a time when if you were still playing at 31-32 you were a rarity.

In his final season at the Dell 1973/74 he would miss only one league game, that being the final one at Everton when he allegedly fell out with Lawrie McMenemy .

It was great when he returned in 76/77 season aged 37 and still playing for Hereford as player coach and received a heroes welcome

It was unfortunate for him that he got injured against Mexico in the '66 World Cup Finals, Ramsey switched to his 4-3-3 'wingless wonders' formation and never used old style wingers again. But, Bates did, so we still saw Paine setting up the goals for the likes of Chivers, Channon and Davies.

He remained a very good player throughout the '60s but 1963 saw Paine at his absolute brilliant best.

In those days, England did a summer tour and I remember, as a boy, watching Terry Paine's first 2 games for England v Czechoslovakia and East Germany on black-and-white TV but that game when we beat the Rest of the World was the most thrilling. If we'd won that '63 semi-final v Man United, perhaps the final that year would still be remembered as the Paine Final like the '58 one was as the Matthews Final.

Paine hat-trick at Wembley:

Paine setting up a disallowed goal with his blocked shot then scoring the winner v West Germany in 1965:

[Post edited 29 May 2020 11:37]

Busby on 11:52 - May 29 with 830 viewsdirk_doone

Paine assist for the Greaves winner v Hungary. Those two always combined brilliantly together.

Busby on 16:37 - May 29 with 788 viewskingslandstand1

Busby on 08:14 - May 29 by dirk_doone

Watch this:

Some excellent dribbling and beating of some of the best players in the world. What a different game it was then
Busby on 17:02 - May 29 with 782 viewsdirk_doone

Busby on 16:37 - May 29 by kingslandstand1

Some excellent dribbling and beating of some of the best players in the world. What a different game it was then

Yes, dribbling was a big part of the game in the 60s. Channon was also brilliant at it. I think the pace of today's game makes it much more difficult to keep the ball at your feet and dribble past 2 or 3 defenders like they used to.

Busby on 08:17 - May 30 with 721 viewskernow

Watching that reminds how much tme and space players enjoyed on the ball compared with the game today. You cant' imsgine a player like Bobby Charlton in acres of space dribbling 40 yards unchallenged in a PL game these days.

Some great footage ther Dirk, thanks for sharing.
Login to get fewer ads

Busby on 15:42 - May 30 with 656 viewskernow

Remembering as a nipper the huge pride in watching Terry Paine in an England jersey pride on the same Wembley pitch as the likes of Puskas, Di Stephano, Eusebio and all the World's best players. Terry Paine of Division 2 Southampton.

Immense pride but even more of a privelege to watch him and John Sydenham terrorising opposition full backs every home game. Brilliant attacking Saints I remember fondly.
Busby on 22:40 - May 30 with 613 viewsBlue

City legend, what's not to like about him? (Busby, that is).

Still stood in the Kippax

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024