Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best finishes to a top flight league season 13:46 - Jul 8 with 5055 viewsdirk_doone

1983/84 10 match unbeaten run (6 wins, 4 draws)
2015/16 6 match unbeaten run (5 wins, 1 draw)
1986/87 9 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 6 draws)
1988/89 6 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 3 draws)
1998/99 5 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 2 draws)

2019/20 ?
We've won 3 of our last 4 matches and we've 5 left to play.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 14:19]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:10 - Jul 28 with 795 viewsUmPahars

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 21:16 - Jul 27 by SaintNick

Great season, not just because of the football and the results but the days and nights out

I’m presuming you would have been on Foleys coach
For most of that season?
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:20 - Jul 28 with 784 viewsSaintNick

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:10 - Jul 28 by UmPahars

I’m presuming you would have been on Foleys coach
For most of that season?

For some of it yes, but for a lot of games I went by other methods, so I would say maybe 5 games on his coach looking at the fixtures and with a bit of my memory left I would say

Sunderland, Leicester for the replayed game called off for the rain, Tottenham, Rotherham, possibly one more

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:01 - Jul 28 with 748 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 21:12 - Jul 27 by SaintNick

We had three games to go they had two, it went to the final week of the season and past the final day how much nearer the end do you want, the last time you were involved in a top flight title chase past the opening week of the season was 1951

I think you're suffering from selective memory here Nick, the season was over for Liverpool, and your club on the 7th may, their season ended 8 days later, yours 10 days later. Therefore I'm afraid that you didn't make it into the last week of the season.

In fact, your club had a very good finish that season, but were never really in contention, unlike Man Utd who were the real opposition that season

8 games to go
7 points behind : Soton
3 points behind : Man U

6 games to go
5 points behind : Soton

4 games to go

3 games to go
4 points behind : Soton

2 games to go
5 points behind : Man U

So there we have it, with 3 games to go, Liverpool just needed a point, and for Man Utd to lose, and they achieved this with a win ie the title play-off games were on the 7th May, and Man Utd lost, and your club didn't get their 3rd last game until the 12th May when it was all over.

Their title chase that season was with Man Utd who were always 3 points behind them from going into the last 10 games, until getting down till the last 3 games. The title was won on the 7th May, and your season finished on the 17th May ie your team weren't ever really at the races, although it was obviously a tremendous finish.

Were you in the title chase the next season, have your team ever been in a title chase?

My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned, and I believe we have been involved in 3 or 4. These are the facts.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2020 13:53]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:14 - Jul 28 with 743 viewsUmPahars

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:20 - Jul 28 by SaintNick

For some of it yes, but for a lot of games I went by other methods, so I would say maybe 5 games on his coach looking at the fixtures and with a bit of my memory left I would say

Sunderland, Leicester for the replayed game called off for the rain, Tottenham, Rotherham, possibly one more

Didnt realise the Leicester game was that season, got the paper voucher on the way out, but didn’t use it for the replay as it was a school night.

My overriding memory of that game was Mark Wallington’s shorts becoming see through after about 2 minutes. Game called off in the first half?
[Post edited 28 Jul 2020 13:18]
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:48 - Jul 28 with 726 viewsSaintNick

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:14 - Jul 28 by UmPahars

Didnt realise the Leicester game was that season, got the paper voucher on the way out, but didn’t use it for the replay as it was a school night.

My overriding memory of that game was Mark Wallington’s shorts becoming see through after about 2 minutes. Game called off in the first half?
[Post edited 28 Jul 2020 13:18]

I got to the ground late, took a glance to the right and the game, turned left into the toilet came out a min or so later and the players were walking off the pitch, I couldnt tell you if Wallington had shorts on or not

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:39 - Jul 28 with 709 viewsBuggalugs

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:01 - Jul 28 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I think you're suffering from selective memory here Nick, the season was over for Liverpool, and your club on the 7th may, their season ended 8 days later, yours 10 days later. Therefore I'm afraid that you didn't make it into the last week of the season.

In fact, your club had a very good finish that season, but were never really in contention, unlike Man Utd who were the real opposition that season

8 games to go

6 games to go

4 games to go

3 games to go

2 games to go

So there we have it, with 3 games to go, Liverpool just needed a point, and for Man Utd to lose, and they achieved this with a win ie the title play-off games were on the 7th May, and Man Utd lost, and your club didn't get their 3rd last game until the 12th May when it was all over.

Their title chase that season was with Man Utd who were always 3 points behind them from going into the last 10 games, until getting down till the last 3 games. The title was won on the 7th May, and your season finished on the 17th May ie your team weren't ever really at the races, although it was obviously a tremendous finish.

Were you in the title chase the next season, have your team ever been in a title chase?

My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned, and I believe we have been involved in 3 or 4. These are the facts.

Even by your standards, this is truly tragic.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 16:15 - Jul 28 with 676 viewsChesham_Saint

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:39 - Jul 28 by Buggalugs

Absolutely....a complete and utter w ankstain.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 10:57 - Jul 30 with 607 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:39 - Jul 28 by Buggalugs

Pompey fans get called delusional by the red half of Hampshire, and yet it appears that you lot have been promoting your title chase for decades against the facts. That is truly tragic, if true. Is it true?

Login to get fewer ads

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:00 - Jul 30 with 610 viewsSaintNick

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 10:57 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Pompey fans get called delusional by the red half of Hampshire, and yet it appears that you lot have been promoting your title chase for decades against the facts. That is truly tragic, if true. Is it true?

On a lighter note I have several pallets for sale do you know anyone who may be interested

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:09 - Jul 30 with 602 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:00 - Jul 30 by SaintNick

On a lighter note I have several pallets for sale do you know anyone who may be interested

How about you Nick, are you in agreement that it was a Man U - Liverpool title chase?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:12 - Jul 30 with 581 viewsSaintNick

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:09 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

How about you Nick, are you in agreement that it was a Man U - Liverpool title chase?

The last team to be actually able to catch Liverpool, was us going into the final Saturday of the season, the title chase is the teams in on it at the death, we topped the League in August 1988, we dont claim to be in a title chase that season

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:31 - Jul 30 with 578 viewsdirk_doone

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:12 - Jul 30 by SaintNick

The last team to be actually able to catch Liverpool, was us going into the final Saturday of the season, the title chase is the teams in on it at the death, we topped the League in August 1988, we dont claim to be in a title chase that season

Yes, I remember, Joe Fagan, the Liverpool manager, saying in an interview at the time that the only team he thought could catch them that 83/84 season was Southampton.

After we beat Liverpool in March, Joe Fagan said, “Southampton deserved to beat us. It certainly makes things interesting now.” And at the end of the season he said, from that point on, he saw Southampton as the only team that could take the title from them.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 14:10]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:49 - Jul 30 with 567 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:12 - Jul 30 by SaintNick

Look at the facts again Nick, and tell me how any of your last post makes any sense

3 games to go

2 games to go

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:32 - Jul 30 with 542 viewshedgeend61

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 13:01 - Jul 28 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

8 games to go

6 games to go

4 games to go

3 games to go

2 games to go

3 or 4 is not fact since 51, closest 1954-55 was maybe classed as a title limp winning one of last 7 games, hardly a chase.
5 and 7 wins off winning in other two nearest chases .
Barely anyone alive would remember it tbh
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 15:32 - Jul 30 with 517 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:32 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

3 or 4 is not fact since 51, closest 1954-55 was maybe classed as a title limp winning one of last 7 games, hardly a chase.

"My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned"

that's just one then, and the 3 or 4 recalls all of them

"was maybe classed as a title limp" Those days it was only 2 points for a win. the bigger facts are as follows:

8 games to go : All level
7 games to go : All level
6 games to go : 2 points behind
5 games to go : 3 points behind
4 games to go : 3 points behind
3 games to go ; 3 points behind

This all seems like a chase to me, and very different to your 'title chase' where you were 7 points behind with 8 games to go.

"Barely anyone alive would remember it tbh " But it was a chase though, wasn't it?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 15:34]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 15:55 - Jul 30 with 508 viewsdirk_doone

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:32 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

We had a better record when we finished runners-up in 1983/84 than Little Pompey had when they won the league in 1949/50.

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 16:41 - Jul 30 with 483 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

You had a better record, when you galloped up to the finish line after the Lord Mayor's show was over. You can say Little Pompey as many times as you like, but at least we have been in at least 3 title chases.

And btw 49/50 was possibly the tightest title race in English history, hence the lower points total.

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 16:49 - Jul 30 with 477 viewsBuggalugs

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 16:41 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You had a better record, when you galloped up to the finish line after the Lord Mayor's show was over. You can say Little Pompey as many times as you like, but at least we have been in at least 3 title chases.

And btw 49/50 was possibly the tightest title race in English history, hence the lower points total.

I'm sure it was really exciting at the time. What are your memories of it?

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 16:50 - Jul 30 with 476 viewsChesham_Saint

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 16:41 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You may have “been in” title chases, but how many did you witness personally you tedious, boring, hillbilly cvnt?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:00 - Jul 30 with 473 viewsdirk_doone

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 16:50 - Jul 30 by Chesham_Saint

You may have “been in” title chases, but how many did you witness personally you tedious, boring, hillbilly cvnt?

Wanderers FC won more major trophies than Little Pompey did and even more than many of the clubs currently in the Premier League, including Saints. It doesn't mean they are a bigger club now though, does it?

They currently play in Surrey South Eastern Combination Junior Division One. Even League One is a lot higher than that but League One clubs are still much smaller than Premier League ones. They have fewer fans, get smaller gates and are only worth a tiny fraction of a top flight club.

So, in spite of all their trophies, Wanderers FC are a much smaller club than any in the Premier League.

How many football fans have heard of Pro Vercelli, let alone remember that they were 7 times champions of Italy? Now, they are just a small Serie C club and nobody in their right mind would say they are a bigger club than a Serie A club like Roma, even though they won far more trophies .
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 17:09]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:16 - Jul 30 with 453 viewsChesham_Saint

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:00 - Jul 30 by dirk_doone

Wanderers FC won more major trophies than Little Pompey did and even more than many of the clubs currently in the Premier League, including Saints. It doesn't mean they are a bigger club now though, does it?

They currently play in Surrey South Eastern Combination Junior Division One. Even League One is a lot higher than that but League One clubs are still much smaller than Premier League ones. They have fewer fans, get smaller gates and are only worth a tiny fraction of a top flight club.

So, in spite of all their trophies, Wanderers FC are a much smaller club than any in the Premier League.

How many football fans have heard of Pro Vercelli, let alone remember that they were 7 times champions of Italy? Now, they are just a small Serie C club and nobody in their right mind would say they are a bigger club than a Serie A club like Roma, even though they won far more trophies .
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 17:09]

Good points, well made.

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:24 - Jul 30 with 451 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Little Pompey and Little Wanderers are both in the 20 greatest English clubs of all time, and both in the 5 greatest southern clubs of all time. It certainly does warm the heart.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 17:27]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:25 - Jul 30 with 448 viewshedgeend61

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 15:32 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

"My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned"

that's just one then, and the 3 or 4 recalls all of them

"was maybe classed as a title limp" Those days it was only 2 points for a win. the bigger facts are as follows:

8 games to go : All level
7 games to go : All level
6 games to go : 2 points behind
5 games to go : 3 points behind
4 games to go : 3 points behind
3 games to go ; 3 points behind

This all seems like a chase to me, and very different to your 'title chase' where you were 7 points behind with 8 games to go.

"Barely anyone alive would remember it tbh " But it was a chase though, wasn't it?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 15:34]

Yes, i think we can agree, although a limp one, and the only one after 1951, not the 3 or 4 you stated as fact.
Correct? or tell us about the other 3 or 4, or maybe ask someone over 80 who may even remember them, as the history books don't seem to tell that story.

Little Pompey love their history books reminding them of the good times, as for anyone alive under 75 would remember Little Pompey being rubbish lower league fodder for pretty much their whole lifetime.

Hence the chips and the hatred.
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:28 - Jul 30 with 443 viewsChesham_Saint

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:25 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

Yes, i think we can agree, although a limp one, and the only one after 1951, not the 3 or 4 you stated as fact.
Correct? or tell us about the other 3 or 4, or maybe ask someone over 80 who may even remember them, as the history books don't seem to tell that story.

Little Pompey love their history books reminding them of the good times, as for anyone alive under 75 would remember Little Pompey being rubbish lower league fodder for pretty much their whole lifetime.

You be wantin’ skate with them chips, darlin?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:39 - Jul 30 with 438 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:25 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

I think you need to read the original post again, and get the context. To be honest, it's rare for any other club outside the few top clubs to get a sniff, and that won't radically change unless a breakaway league is formed. Leicester was a miracle and won't happen again. Your club won't ever get even a slight sniff until the money feed is dramatically changed or the top clubs break away. Therefore, we don't have any chips, just contentment that we achieved it while still possible, before money ruined the game.

Oh, and I was there, if you can get your head round that.

Of course, all the trophies this century has been nice.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 17:41]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024