Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second half problems 12:54 - Nov 22 with 655 viewssaint901

I was at the Villa game recently where we got battered in the second half, but held on. I was not at Norwich but from what I read, we got battered again and this time didn't hold on.

It may be a coincidence that it's the same opposing manager but thinking back on other games, perhaps not.

I speculated that against Villa, they came out in the second half and played in more advanced positions. Looking at the Opta "average position" stats, seems to bear this out. I've not seen the stats for Norwich.

A midfield player picking up a ball and looking up and being able to drive into 10/15 yards of space, adds pace and momentum to the attack. The same player who is able to advance only 5 yards before having to protect the ball from challenge is less likely to be able to play it forward quickly. Instead we will see a sideways or backwards pass. That allows the opposition midfield to then drop a little and their defence to get into shape.

If it were me coaching (and thank heavens, it's not) I would be asking for more width. Have the strikers run into the channels and give some options. Have the wide midfield do that - go wide. I would have the full backs wide. That gives the midfield receiver more options and allows a pass forward, not perhaps 20/25 yards, but 10 yards but keeps the ball moving in that direction.

A team 1-0 down at half time or one that is 1-1 and at home will come out at half time fired up. We need to see that as an opportunity to score again by perhaps slightly changing how we do things (perhaps the above or perhaps better ideas) or we need to say that we will defend hard for 20 minutes and then change things. As it is we seem to be doing neither and that allows the pressure to build.

That said, Norwichs' second goal (only saw it on MOTD) sees their tallest player against JWP. I mean - what!? Where was Bednarek or Salisu?
Second half problems on 13:17 - Nov 22 with 612 viewspjt50

It was Lyanco who let him go for the second goal. He ended up stood at the far post marking nobody.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Second half problems on 13:26 - Nov 22 with 597 viewsdirk_doone

Second half problems on 13:17 - Nov 22 by pjt50

It was Lyanco who let him go for the second goal. He ended up stood at the far post marking nobody.

Lyanco looked lost when he came on but that may have been because of the shambolic chaos that our team's organisation descended into after their half-time talk and the subsequent substitutions. I have seen someone suggest that it might be better if the team stayed out on the pitch at half-time so they could avoid the instructions from Ralph and his coaches.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 13:27]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Second half problems (n/t) on 19:24 - Nov 22 with 476 viewsRon11

Second half problems on 13:26 - Nov 22 by dirk_doone

Lyanco looked lost when he came on but that may have been because of the shambolic chaos that our team's organisation descended into after their half-time talk and the subsequent substitutions. I have seen someone suggest that it might be better if the team stayed out on the pitch at half-time so they could avoid the instructions from Ralph and his coaches.

Second half problems on 08:15 - Nov 23 with 374 viewssaint901

Second half problems on 13:26 - Nov 22 by dirk_doone

I have not really seen Lyanco play and have not seen the whole of the Norwich game, so I accept that leaving the guy free at the far stick may well have been his error or an error of organisation.

Do you think though that the second halves where we have been battered is our fault - interruption of rhythm or cold legs or not being able to get back into shape - or is because the opposition has changed tactics to blunt those we used in the first half?

Either of those is a coaching problem.

If RH knows that we start the second half this way, then plan for it. Have the midfield a little deeper to offer some protection, but also put one or two speed merchants out and running into the channels to provide the out ball. Nothing blunts a team's wish to pour forward like knowing a speedster is waiting for that single mistake.
Second half problems on 09:10 - Nov 23 with 347 viewsdarthvader

Second half problems on 08:15 - Nov 23 by saint901

I have not really seen Lyanco play and have not seen the whole of the Norwich game, so I accept that leaving the guy free at the far stick may well have been his error or an error of organisation.

Do you think though that the second halves where we have been battered is our fault - interruption of rhythm or cold legs or not being able to get back into shape - or is because the opposition has changed tactics to blunt those we used in the first half?

Either of those is a coaching problem.

If RH knows that we start the second half this way, then plan for it. Have the midfield a little deeper to offer some protection, but also put one or two speed merchants out and running into the channels to provide the out ball. Nothing blunts a team's wish to pour forward like knowing a speedster is waiting for that single mistake.

Hopefully we will have Redmond back for the next game to offer this

keep the faith coyr

Second half problems on 10:15 - Nov 23 with 328 viewssaint901

Hopefully yes but equally it requires a coaching instruction.

If we are under the cosh (not just in the second half) and the plan is then to be more compact, leaving a quick player out, then we need to play that longer ball.

There is a marker reluctance to do that and instead the players are clearly told to keep the passes relatively short and not to give up possession.

I understand that and when it works well is when we're on the front foot and moving forward. When we're being pressed, it does not work so well because players are not moving into forward spaces and a sideways/backwards pass just invites pressure.

I'm not saying that we launch the ball forward every time but sometimes. It keeps the opposing defenders from advancing too far and increasing the press and creates space behind the opposing midfield that a defender is going to think twice about advancing into if he has a Redmond or Armstrong (A) on his shoulder.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024