Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Human Rights laws 10:14 - Jun 1 with 889 viewsMedwayR

What is the point of them?!?

Time after time they are used as justification for allowing the scum of the earth to stay in the UK, then when there are human rights violations on a massive scale, Syria being the current example, no one does anything...would we be better off without these laws???

Poll: Who’s better?

Human Rights laws on 10:21 - Jun 1 with 871 viewsTonto

I totally agree - they were probably well intentioned, but they just get abused or used in totally unabusive circumstances.

One guy claimed that the congestion charge "was against his human right to drive his Ferrari wherever and whenever he wanted". Yeah right...

Protect people against abuse? Yup sign up to that - colour, religion, political leaning, age, sex etc.

Give people the right to food and clean water? yup.

Some who has abused other people's human rights should forego those rights themselves.

people with Ferrari's in London can go feck themselves.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Human Rights laws on 10:44 - Jun 1 with 856 viewsQPR_Jim

Human Rights laws on 10:21 - Jun 1 by Tonto

I totally agree - they were probably well intentioned, but they just get abused or used in totally unabusive circumstances.

One guy claimed that the congestion charge "was against his human right to drive his Ferrari wherever and whenever he wanted". Yeah right...

Protect people against abuse? Yup sign up to that - colour, religion, political leaning, age, sex etc.

Give people the right to food and clean water? yup.

Some who has abused other people's human rights should forego those rights themselves.

people with Ferrari's in London can go feck themselves.

"Some who has abused other people's human rights should forego those rights themselves"

I agree with that completely. If your a convicted murderer (for example) then I think it's a bit rich to hide behind laws you have broken to then protect yourself.

I always think that the real issues and conflicts with human rights are with people who live or come from countries that don't abide by them. For example if every country conformed to the act then there would never be another case where a person being deported could claim it's against their human rights because you'd always be sending them to a safe country.

With that in mind I am glad to live in a country that allows me my human rights and I wouldn't want to change that, so in reality the best thing is for other countries to do the same. This includes countries like Syria and hopefully the UN will intervene there to stop any more mass killings. But I'd rather live in the UK than somewhere like Syria, so I guess human rights laws whilst they can be frustrating and misused to protect criminals are better than not having them.
Human Rights laws on 10:52 - Jun 1 with 846 viewsrcap

Human Rights laws on 10:44 - Jun 1 by QPR_Jim

"Some who has abused other people's human rights should forego those rights themselves"

I agree with that completely. If your a convicted murderer (for example) then I think it's a bit rich to hide behind laws you have broken to then protect yourself.

I always think that the real issues and conflicts with human rights are with people who live or come from countries that don't abide by them. For example if every country conformed to the act then there would never be another case where a person being deported could claim it's against their human rights because you'd always be sending them to a safe country.

With that in mind I am glad to live in a country that allows me my human rights and I wouldn't want to change that, so in reality the best thing is for other countries to do the same. This includes countries like Syria and hopefully the UN will intervene there to stop any more mass killings. But I'd rather live in the UK than somewhere like Syria, so I guess human rights laws whilst they can be frustrating and misused to protect criminals are better than not having them.

How does that work then? If someone tortures, we should be allowed to torture them? If you invade my privacy, I'm allowed to come and wander round your house?

Syria's not a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights, so obviously it doesn't apply there.

Newspapers run a lot of stories about human rights laws in the context of immigration, which is a very controversial area, but almost nothing in other areas. There are plenty of ECtHR decisions which I think most people would agree with.
Human Rights laws on 11:18 - Jun 1 with 814 viewsQPR_Jim

Human Rights laws on 10:52 - Jun 1 by rcap

How does that work then? If someone tortures, we should be allowed to torture them? If you invade my privacy, I'm allowed to come and wander round your house?

Syria's not a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights, so obviously it doesn't apply there.

Newspapers run a lot of stories about human rights laws in the context of immigration, which is a very controversial area, but almost nothing in other areas. There are plenty of ECtHR decisions which I think most people would agree with.

"But I'd rather live in the UK than somewhere like Syria, so I guess human rights laws whilst they can be frustrating and misused to protect criminals are better than not having them."

Did the above not clarify my position enough? I'll clarify again: Human rights = good

It's not really practical to chop and change human rights because they are the basic things everyone should get regardless of their past. But as proven with the right to liberty this is obviously taken away when someone is put in prison. What's to stop other rights being taken away form a convicted criminal also? Personally I'd take away their right to no forced labour and get them doing some work whilst in prison. I don't see how that's any different to ordering community service to be honest.

I'd also suspend their right to a private and family life when considering deportation, if their family means that much to them they will follow them to wherever they are deported to. Although I wouldn't deport to a country where they will be tortured or killed.
Human Rights laws on 11:21 - Jun 1 with 811 viewsKrakow

The laws are well-intended; it's the lawyers that are questionable. The big time lawyers charging big fees to find loopholes, the small time lawyers trying to make a name for themselves. It's the same story with tax loopholes. Basically with any law, we need to ensure that the laws are water tight.
Human Rights laws on 11:32 - Jun 1 with 800 viewsJuzzie

It's made people like Cherie Blair a very rich person.

edit: regarding the immigration aspect, evey visa should come with a stipulation that by accepting the visa, you agree to abide by the laws of the country and if you then break those laws and are found guilty in court, your 'human rights' are revoked and deportation is likely without appeal as you have effectivley infringed on someone elses own rights to have a peaceful life.

If you don't agree to this, no visa.

If you are s**t scared that by going back to wherever you come from will threaten your own life, then you fking well shouldn't have robbed/raped/knifed/shot/burgled/defrauded etc then.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Human Rights laws on 21:01 - Jun 2 with 729 viewsderbyhoop

Your human rights are:

-the right to life
-freedom from torture and degrading treatment
-freedom from slavery and forced labour
-the right to liberty
-the right to a fair trial
-the right not to be punished for something that wasn't a crime when you did it
-the right to respect for private and family life
-freedom of thought, conscience and religion, and freedom to express your beliefs
-freedom of expression
-freedom of assembly and association
-the right to marry and to start a family
-the right not to be discriminated against in respect of these rights and freedoms
-the right to peaceful enjoyment of your property
-the right to an education
-the right to participate in free elections
-the right not to be subjected to the death penalty

Now, which of those should we do away with?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Human Rights laws on 21:03 - Jun 2 with 727 viewsTonto

I dont think anyone on this message has said do away with them - its just they they are used in inappropriate cases which have feck all to do with human rights

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

Human Rights laws on 21:40 - Jun 2 with 708 viewsQPR_John

Human Rights laws on 21:01 - Jun 2 by derbyhoop

Your human rights are:

-the right to life
-the right to liberty
-freedom of thought, conscience and religion, and freedom to express your beliefs
-freedom of expression
-the right not to be discriminated against in respect of these rights and freedoms

What always intrigues me is that any government that chose to deny any of the above rights would not give a t*ss about being bound by a human rights act.
Human Rights laws on 21:43 - Jun 2 with 702 viewsJuzzie

Your human rights are:

-the right to life
-the right to liberty
-freedom of expression

If someone infringes those rights upoon someone else, why should their rights then be protected?

Human Rights laws on 00:54 - Jun 3 with 660 viewsRBlock

Human Rights should be available to everyone on this Globe regardless of whether they have committed Human Rights violations or not. If someone killed my brother i would kill them and i would go to prison for murder for it. Society does not have the right to decide who should live or who should die, as Society must be better than the individual. Who are we to criticise the likes of Syria when we violate human rights here and claim it is because the people are bad people and have wronged us. That would no be right, it would be in the mould of what Syria do at the moment. Hypocrisy. I might not like what hate preachers say, or what that Abu Quatada might do, but i would not wish death or torture upon him, and because he is human, i believe we must still protect him from these things. Not give him a good quality of life at all, imprison him, restrict his liberties ect but not kill or torture him.

Human Rights laws aren't written down, they aren't codified in the same way as other legislation. Under the legal doctrine, the Rule of Law, Human Rights are protected by the Common Law, the courts and the judiciary as opposed to statue law defined by Parliament.
Human Rights laws on 01:48 - Jun 3 with 651 viewsRBlock

Human Rights laws on 10:52 - Jun 1 by rcap

It's absurd. People claim that that these are Human Rights yet because someone is an immigrant they should forfeit these rights. Do they not understand the contradiction in what they are saying?
Human Rights laws on 05:11 - Jun 3 with 633 viewsstowmarketrange

Your human rights are:

-the right to life
-the right to liberty
-freedom of expression

The right not to be subjected to the death penalty.I would scrap that one in some instances.
Some crimes are committed by people so evil that in my opinion,they should forfeit the right to live.
Huntly,Brady and Hindley should have all paid the ultimate price.
Human Rights laws on 08:52 - Jun 3 with 617 viewszicoshoops

Your human rights are:

-the right to life
-the right to liberty
-freedom of expression

Kev.

An impressive list.
Yet more than half of the World's population are denied one or more of these Human Rights.
But isn't the root of the problem simply the age of our Species?
We are the dominent Species on a Planet that has existed for Billions of years, yet we are a relatively 'new' Species.
A species that is still struggling to exist peacefully with others of it's own Species.
Maybe time will change that, maybe not.

We talk about saving the Planet, when really we mean saving our own Species.
The Planet will survive, and one day we will become extinct.
Let's hope that the next dominent Species does a better job of living on it that we have done.

You ask.....
'Now whick of these should we do away with?'
Religion, all Religions, all day long.
For one day it will spark the chain of events, that lead to the destruction of our Species.
(although it could be argued that that may not be a bad thing)

P.S.
If we're still around, see you next season for a few beers.

Human Rights laws on 11:10 - Jun 3 with 594 viewsderbyhoop

Human Rights laws on 08:52 - Jun 3 by zicoshoops

Kev.

An impressive list.
Yet more than half of the World's population are denied one or more of these Human Rights.
But isn't the root of the problem simply the age of our Species?
We are the dominent Species on a Planet that has existed for Billions of years, yet we are a relatively 'new' Species.
A species that is still struggling to exist peacefully with others of it's own Species.
Maybe time will change that, maybe not.

We talk about saving the Planet, when really we mean saving our own Species.
The Planet will survive, and one day we will become extinct.
Let's hope that the next dominent Species does a better job of living on it that we have done.

You ask.....
'Now whick of these should we do away with?'
Religion, all Religions, all day long.
For one day it will spark the chain of events, that lead to the destruction of our Species.
(although it could be argued that that may not be a bad thing)

P.S.
If we're still around, see you next season for a few beers.

The reason I put up the list (taken from the ECHR web site) is because of all the bollox talked about it.
The principles are universally applicable. Too many smart lawyers have tried to extend the principles into areas where they should not be exploited. As to getting rid of specific ones, e.g. the death penalty for certain individuals - as soon as you start tinkering with the beasic principles you'd better be sure where you draw the line. And you'd also better be sure that everybody accepts where that line is drawn. Not very likely.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Human Rights laws on 14:26 - Jun 3 with 550 viewsTGRRRSSS

Presumably US don't sign up to that list as they have the death penalty and that list demands people are subject to the death penalty which is available in USA depending on where you might be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024