Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You have to laugh 15:12 - Aug 8 with 3135 viewsvetchonian

Found this on the official site

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/russell-martin-we-want-produce-performance-back

Makes you wonder

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

You have to laugh on 15:55 - Aug 8 with 2537 viewsReslovenSwan1

He wants to do well and most fans want him to do well as well playing an attractive brand of football. There are some sad cases on here that do not want him to do well and they are those calling him a fraud etc.

Martin is a proven mid table coach with two full seasons of inconsistency behind him. This is fact and he claims he can transition into a top 6 force with time. Like Cooper his assistants are not high profile people with track records.

The Colin Calderwood issue is interesting. I suspect this was a Winter initiative to try and get "Martin Plus". He appointed a clubman follower not a leader I suspect and it became "Martin minus" after Williams left.

Fulton's gift on Saturday was schoolboy stuff like Obafemi's miss the week before and he should be ashamed of himself.

Martin himself has to change from his own back catalogue of sound thrashings. If he does not adapt it is no ones fault but his own.

Wise sage since Toshack era

You have to laugh on 16:14 - Aug 8 with 2518 viewsvetchonian

You have to laugh on 15:55 - Aug 8 by ReslovenSwan1

He wants to do well and most fans want him to do well as well playing an attractive brand of football. There are some sad cases on here that do not want him to do well and they are those calling him a fraud etc.

Martin is a proven mid table coach with two full seasons of inconsistency behind him. This is fact and he claims he can transition into a top 6 force with time. Like Cooper his assistants are not high profile people with track records.

The Colin Calderwood issue is interesting. I suspect this was a Winter initiative to try and get "Martin Plus". He appointed a clubman follower not a leader I suspect and it became "Martin minus" after Williams left.

Fulton's gift on Saturday was schoolboy stuff like Obafemi's miss the week before and he should be ashamed of himself.

Martin himself has to change from his own back catalogue of sound thrashings. If he does not adapt it is no ones fault but his own.

I dont think there are any fans who do not want him to do well

I have been a critic from early on but that doesnt mean Im sitting here wanting him to fail.

Given his track record plus his approach and attitude I see it unlikely that things will change. He truly believes he is on the right track.

As you say he is a mid table coach....is this what we want. His football as Saturday showed is not entertaining either and his style/system is easily nullified

I hope for our sakes he either has an epiphany or the powers at be realise enough is enough

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

You have to laugh on 16:51 - Aug 8 with 2471 viewsonehunglow

Garbage.
Your narrative is too simplistic and plain wrong.
Martin is only relevant whilst he manages our club.
It is NOT about him,but clearly he sees it really does .

I want to see my team improve. Well,has he done so.
Yes or no.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

You have to laugh on 17:07 - Aug 8 with 2456 viewsCatullus

Nobody wants the club to fail but when people can no longer stomach Martin and his constant excuses, they have a right to say so.

Martin is not a proven mid table coach either, he has 2 seasons behind him. 2 seasons does not a proven track record make, not for a manager. Speially when we look at where we had finsihed the season before.

You say this stuff, add in some stuff you "suspect" but then manage to finish it off with the truth, if he does not adapt....the problem is he has already doubled down and sad he wont change anything.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

You have to laugh on 17:13 - Aug 8 with 2441 viewsonehunglow

You have to laugh on 17:07 - Aug 8 by Catullus

Nobody wants the club to fail but when people can no longer stomach Martin and his constant excuses, they have a right to say so.

Martin is not a proven mid table coach either, he has 2 seasons behind him. 2 seasons does not a proven track record make, not for a manager. Speially when we look at where we had finsihed the season before.

You say this stuff, add in some stuff you "suspect" but then manage to finish it off with the truth, if he does not adapt....the problem is he has already doubled down and sad he wont change anything.

Cat.
It is refreshing to see the penny has finally dropped. It took long enough.
His successor has a big job to do but there is enough quality in the squad to do ok.
They will welcome a new coach like Santa Claus .
They are utterly confused and detached from Martin and his plan . I view positive uttering from the likes of Grimes with suspicion,as he is the first one who should be benched and have captaincy removed

We can but hope.

A good stuffing at Blackpool could tip him over.

I shall be taking bucket and spade and a good book as I’m expecting to be bored . Maybe War and Peace as a poster suggested . Wear factor 50folks

You have to laugh on 17:29 - Aug 8 with 2432 viewsCatullus

You have to laugh on 17:13 - Aug 8 by onehunglow

Cat.
It is refreshing to see the penny has finally dropped. It took long enough.
His successor has a big job to do but there is enough quality in the squad to do ok.
They will welcome a new coach like Santa Claus .
They are utterly confused and detached from Martin and his plan . I view positive uttering from the likes of Grimes with suspicion,as he is the first one who should be benched and have captaincy removed

We can but hope.

A good stuffing at Blackpool could tip him over.

I shall be taking bucket and spade and a good book as I’m expecting to be bored . Maybe War and Peace as a poster suggested . Wear factor 50folks

From my point of view I gave him more than a fair chance. I waited 6 months before voicing any major concerns but it has been a slippery slope and he finally fell off the piste last Saturday.

I genuinely believe that if we had a manager playing to the squads strengths we will do quite well. I'm not saying promotion but the upper end of mid table is possible. I also feel Martin sticking to his guns is a recipe for relegation.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

You have to laugh on 17:37 - Aug 8 with 2408 viewscadleigh

With all due respect to posters above, I suspect there are a small number of Swans supporters who hope Martin fails because they are so sure he is the wrong manager for us, and/or because they called it early and will look foolish if he comes good and they are proved wrong. My own son has accused me of being in this group and questioned whether I can still call myself a Swans supporter when I am so critical of this manager.

That’s the depth of the civil war that Martin has triggered. I don’t recall anything like it ever before. A few loyalists defended Jenkins and the ‘sell-outs’, there have been the odd anti-Trust individuals, opinions were split over Cooper, but this - it’s extraordinary.

There are, in my opinion, many more supporters who continue to defend Martin despite all the evidence to the contrary. I am not talking about anyone on here that I am aware of - it’s perfectly possible to have rational debates with everyone. But on Twitter and other platforms there are scores of supporters still trotting out nonsense about ‘lack of preseason’ (apparently the benefits will not be felt until well into the season), lack of support from the owners, it not being the manager’s responsibility for what happens after kick-off.

If, as seems likely to me, we are simply continuing the mediocre trend that started last season and ran through the friendlies, heading for a mid-table finish or worse, then it is best we cut our ties with him now before the transfer window closes. No reason why a new manager can’t have us competing for the play-offs, like Manning did at MK Dons.

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

You have to laugh on 18:20 - Aug 8 with 2353 viewsReslovenSwan1

You have to laugh on 17:37 - Aug 8 by cadleigh

With all due respect to posters above, I suspect there are a small number of Swans supporters who hope Martin fails because they are so sure he is the wrong manager for us, and/or because they called it early and will look foolish if he comes good and they are proved wrong. My own son has accused me of being in this group and questioned whether I can still call myself a Swans supporter when I am so critical of this manager.

That’s the depth of the civil war that Martin has triggered. I don’t recall anything like it ever before. A few loyalists defended Jenkins and the ‘sell-outs’, there have been the odd anti-Trust individuals, opinions were split over Cooper, but this - it’s extraordinary.

There are, in my opinion, many more supporters who continue to defend Martin despite all the evidence to the contrary. I am not talking about anyone on here that I am aware of - it’s perfectly possible to have rational debates with everyone. But on Twitter and other platforms there are scores of supporters still trotting out nonsense about ‘lack of preseason’ (apparently the benefits will not be felt until well into the season), lack of support from the owners, it not being the manager’s responsibility for what happens after kick-off.

If, as seems likely to me, we are simply continuing the mediocre trend that started last season and ran through the friendlies, heading for a mid-table finish or worse, then it is best we cut our ties with him now before the transfer window closes. No reason why a new manager can’t have us competing for the play-offs, like Manning did at MK Dons.

I am a Jenkinista loyalist. I fully accept he had bad season with Clucas and Mesa and a few duff signings but he was back on form with Potter playing some great stuff.

McCauley screwed Swansea by wasting a kings ransom of £7m which if used well could have seen Potter in the top 3 or 4.

The PR war promoted by pro Tust loyalists has harmed Swansea city and they have been outed as completely useless after wasting 6 years kicking a court case can down the road. The members are not exactly kicking the Trust's door down to reinvest the £500k settlement back into the club.

Swansea have had no success without Huw Jenkins since Toshack was the manger. Repeating what he did will not be easy. The final gift of the Jenkinista era are Congreve, Lloyd, Cotterill and Josh Thomas.

If this season is another of mediocrity then at least develop Benda, Brandon Cooper Joseph Garrick and Ollie Cooper who I believe are championship quality prospects and so does the club who gave them long contracts.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Login to get fewer ads

You have to laugh on 19:31 - Aug 8 with 2281 viewscadleigh

You have to laugh on 18:20 - Aug 8 by ReslovenSwan1

I am a Jenkinista loyalist. I fully accept he had bad season with Clucas and Mesa and a few duff signings but he was back on form with Potter playing some great stuff.

McCauley screwed Swansea by wasting a kings ransom of £7m which if used well could have seen Potter in the top 3 or 4.

The PR war promoted by pro Tust loyalists has harmed Swansea city and they have been outed as completely useless after wasting 6 years kicking a court case can down the road. The members are not exactly kicking the Trust's door down to reinvest the £500k settlement back into the club.

Swansea have had no success without Huw Jenkins since Toshack was the manger. Repeating what he did will not be easy. The final gift of the Jenkinista era are Congreve, Lloyd, Cotterill and Josh Thomas.

If this season is another of mediocrity then at least develop Benda, Brandon Cooper Joseph Garrick and Ollie Cooper who I believe are championship quality prospects and so does the club who gave them long contracts.

The last thing I want to do is to take this thread (or any thread for that matter) down the Jenkins/Trust rabbit holes. Sorry if I inadvertently gave that impression.

I do agree 100% with your final paragraph. Our relative success since relegation has owed so much to our ability to bring on young, home-grown talent. The sidelining of pretty much all our brightest academy products apart from Ben Cabango is another negative on the charge sheet against Martin, IMO.

Cooper tried to rebuild the England Under-17 team which won the World Cup. Martin is trying to rebuild the MK Dons team that finished mid table in the old Third Division. Strange days…

You have to laugh on 19:42 - Aug 8 with 2262 viewsDr_Parnassus

To be a mid table coach in a mid table team is one thing.

To be a mid table coach in a top 6 team is quite another.

MK Dons - 19th and 13th under Martin. 3rd after he leaves
Swansea - 6th and 4th before Martin. 15th when he arrives

Teams benefit when he is replaced and go down hill when he is appointed. He hasn’t had one successful season as manager. Not one.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

You have to laugh on 19:52 - Aug 8 with 2244 viewsonehunglow

Cadleigh
You are both right and wrong
When I said he has divided the fan base,thi is what I means;your post proves my point.
And NO nobody wants to ee a manager of ours fail as it means the team fails.
Its a case of fan understanding that.Many do not.

Personally I detested Cooper so I have no aex to grind ;I just hate the martin lying crap;the insulting of our fan base;it is unacceptable.It really is indefensible.
Nobody should support this man.
Nobody

Get him out and asap

You have to laugh on 19:53 - Aug 8 with 2241 viewsKeithHaynes

You have to laugh on 19:52 - Aug 8 by onehunglow

Cadleigh
When I said he has divided the fan base,thi is what I means;your post proves my point.

Personally I detested Cooper so I have no aex to grind ;I just hate the martin lying crap;the insulting of our fan base;it is unacceptable.It really is indefensible.
Nobody

Get him out and asap

Potter ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

You have to laugh on 19:55 - Aug 8 with 2229 viewsonehunglow

You have to laugh on 19:53 - Aug 8 by KeithHaynes

Potter ?

What about him?
A former manager who got cheesed off at our club and bailed out asap.

He is doing well NOW and good luck to him

What has this to do with Martin.?

You have to laugh on 20:03 - Aug 8 with 2216 viewsKeithHaynes

You have to laugh on 19:55 - Aug 8 by onehunglow

What about him?
A former manager who got cheesed off at our club and bailed out asap.

He is doing well NOW and good luck to him

What has this to do with Martin.?

You didn’t like cooper and of course Martin, just wondering.

You have to laugh on 20:07 - Aug 8 with 2204 viewscadleigh

You have to laugh on 19:52 - Aug 8 by onehunglow

Cadleigh

Nobody

Get him out and asap

I think that there are genuine Swansea supporters who are pleased to see results like Saturdays because they are likely to hasten the end of Martin’s tenure and the damage that he is capable of doing to our squad and the club generally. It’s the opposite of welcoming failure, really.

Meanwhile, on the either side of the debate, someone who calls themselves ‘Andy G’ (I think possibly a former Trust board member) has just argued that we shouldn’t sack Martin because it would cost money that we could spend on future transfers instead. People wouldn’t use that logic about a cowboy builder who was trashing their house, so how is it OK for a Swans manager?

You have to laugh on 20:08 - Aug 8 with 2197 viewsonehunglow

You have to laugh on 20:03 - Aug 8 by KeithHaynes

You didn’t like cooper and of course Martin, just wondering.

Correct.
I detested mainly because he failed us.And he did.Some didnt mind.

I was ambivolent on Potter,Liked Sousa,Loved Brend ,Bob ,Frankie too.Clement was a disappointment .

At least,Martin is going from dividing u to united us ,although I'm not sure where you stand but wherever you do,that's fine by me.

Its a buddy shame we havent met up as yet.Blackpool would have been triffic. I would biy you a candy floss and have your fortune told. We could have gone to the Tower Ballroom where one can rent the Wurlitzer by the hour.

This post has been edited by an administrator

You have to laugh on 20:17 - Aug 8 with 2183 viewsKeithHaynes

You have to laugh on 20:08 - Aug 8 by onehunglow

Correct.
I detested mainly because he failed us.And he did.Some didnt mind.

I was ambivolent on Potter,Liked Sousa,Loved Brend ,Bob ,Frankie too.Clement was a disappointment .

At least,Martin is going from dividing u to united us ,although I'm not sure where you stand but wherever you do,that's fine by me.

Its a buddy shame we havent met up as yet.Blackpool would have been triffic. I would biy you a candy floss and have your fortune told. We could have gone to the Tower Ballroom where one can rent the Wurlitzer by the hour.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I run a website that has to look at both sides of any picture and references a cross section of opinions. I’ve never been someone who attacks another person due to their ability or otherwise, only those who are determined to undermine and influence others to attack this website.

Some of those posters don’t help, but like Phil has on his website, at the end of the day very few people actually respect anything that is ever done. Their personal opinion overrides the common goal of supporting the swans.

That’s it, time for a cocktail.

You have to laugh on 20:44 - Aug 8 with 2132 viewsCatullus

You have to laugh on 20:17 - Aug 8 by KeithHaynes

I run a website that has to look at both sides of any picture and references a cross section of opinions. I’ve never been someone who attacks another person due to their ability or otherwise, only those who are determined to undermine and influence others to attack this website.

Some of those posters don’t help, but like Phil has on his website, at the end of the day very few people actually respect anything that is ever done. Their personal opinion overrides the common goal of supporting the swans.

The both sides of the picture thing, yes, OK. Those of us who are definitely now anti Martin and have raised any and all issues, what is the other side of that picture?

There is no improvement to argue his case with so not sacking him comes down to two things, giving him more time to come good and/or not having the finances to sack him.

The Andy G comment above, as said, I cannot understand the logic of giving more money to someone who is failing so badly. We bought players he wanted, we gave him plenty of time (and I can reference Manning AND Cooper there who did much more in much less time) he's had his full pre season and the transfer window and where has it gotten us?

What is the other side of this picture? Is it only the hope that we will come good despite the evidence? Is that not a forlorn hope?

I'll repeat it, any decent manager will make the best of his resources and pick the team and tactics based on what he has. He will not try and force a massive square peg in a tiny round hole.

I'd rather have Jane Ludlow than Martin, that's what Saturday did to me.

You have to laugh on 20:53 - Aug 8 with 2102 viewsKeithHaynes

You have to laugh on 20:44 - Aug 8 by Catullus

The both sides of the picture thing, yes, OK. Those of us who are definitely now anti Martin and have raised any and all issues, what is the other side of that picture?

There is no improvement to argue his case with so not sacking him comes down to two things, giving him more time to come good and/or not having the finances to sack him.

The Andy G comment above, as said, I cannot understand the logic of giving more money to someone who is failing so badly. We bought players he wanted, we gave him plenty of time (and I can reference Manning AND Cooper there who did much more in much less time) he's had his full pre season and the transfer window and where has it gotten us?

What is the other side of this picture? Is it only the hope that we will come good despite the evidence? Is that not a forlorn hope?

I'll repeat it, any decent manager will make the best of his resources and pick the team and tactics based on what he has. He will not try and force a massive square peg in a tiny round hole.

I'd rather have Jane Ludlow than Martin, that's what Saturday did to me.

The websites match report was extremely critical.
We stand by it.

You have to laugh on 20:58 - Aug 8 with 2095 viewsCatullus

You have to laugh on 20:53 - Aug 8 by KeithHaynes

We stand by it.

Yes it was a very honest report but what did we get from Martin, another doubling down on his position.

I was critical of thse who attacked martin from the start but you know, it turns out they look qute accurate in what they said.

You know I am no fan of Dr P but his posts on this are pretty much impossible to argue against any more, the evidence backs him up. And again, you may guess I hate telling him he's right but I do try to be honest

You have to laugh on 21:02 - Aug 8 with 2087 viewsKeithHaynes

You have to laugh on 20:58 - Aug 8 by Catullus

Yes it was a very honest report but what did we get from Martin, another doubling down on his position.

I was critical of thse who attacked martin from the start but you know, it turns out they look qute accurate in what they said.

You know I am no fan of Dr P but his posts on this are pretty much impossible to argue against any more, the evidence backs him up. And again, you may guess I hate telling him he's right but I do try to be honest

When he is on the ball, there’s little to argue about for sure.
That’s why we lost a few extras in recent months, they couldn’t deal with him.

You have to laugh on 21:03 - Aug 8 with 2085 viewscadleigh

You have to laugh on 20:53 - Aug 8 by KeithHaynes

We stand by it.

It’s more than fine for a publisher to offer an editorial opinion, as Keith et al do on this site, as long as (a) other opinions are tolerated and (b) any interests are fully disclosed. As far as I am concerned Keith gets A+++ on all counts.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 9:26]

You have to laugh on 23:40 - Aug 8 with 1973 viewsCatullus

You have to laugh on 21:03 - Aug 8 by cadleigh

It’s more than fine for a publisher to offer an editorial opinion, as Keith et al do on this site, as long as (a) other opinions are tolerated and (b) any interests are fully disclosed. As far as I am concerned Keith gets A+++ on all counts.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 9:26]

Oh do tell? By PM if needs be!

You have to laugh on 04:26 - Aug 9 with 1941 viewsTreforys_Jack

You have to laugh on 19:31 - Aug 8 by cadleigh

The last thing I want to do is to take this thread (or any thread for that matter) down the Jenkins/Trust rabbit holes. Sorry if I inadvertently gave that impression.

I do agree 100% with your final paragraph. Our relative success since relegation has owed so much to our ability to bring on young, home-grown talent. The sidelining of pretty much all our brightest academy products apart from Ben Cabango is another negative on the charge sheet against Martin, IMO.

Cooper tried to rebuild the England Under-17 team which won the World Cup. Martin is trying to rebuild the MK Dons team that finished mid table in the old Third Division. Strange days…

With regards to your first sentence, every thread tends to end up that way with resolven unfortunately.
You have to laugh on 09:28 - Aug 9 with 1810 viewsonehunglow

You have to laugh on 20:17 - Aug 8 by KeithHaynes

I support YOU,as an individual
I support this site
I support the charity

This site is about fans exchanging opinions.

Right now,we should not be concerned with what or who aligns with whom.

Supporting our team can only do so much.Right now,we are impotent with the coach and ownership.

That is my opinion Keith.

You want me to stop and quit posting ,I will, immediately but our club issues will not be affected at all. Having a lovefest with fans who love each other isn't for me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024