Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Banning 10:45 - Jan 2 with 8347 viewsSirjohnalot

Just had to give someone a ban for abusing another poster.

Again, please to echo Keith, stop it, whether you instigate or abuse back, it’ll be a ban. Again, haven’t got time to trawl through to see who started it. Report and block, and the nonsense ends. It’s boring for anyone trying to read a post when it’s hi jacked by constant back and forth.

If you think someone is being a prat either ignore or respond in a way that’s not abusive.
Banning on 08:43 - Jan 4 with 1018 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 08:40 - Jan 4 by Whiterockin

Give the guy a break and let him go to work in peace, instead of having to deal with petty disputes on a football forum.

This is my exact point.

He is implementing rules that don’t work which increases his work load.

He can have all the time for work he wants if he listened to the members and solved the issue instead of making things worse.

Thanks for highlighting my point for me.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Banning on 08:47 - Jan 4 with 1006 viewsmagicdaps10

I have looked through a few posts that have led to this action by the Mods, on a personal level I have seen many a pist towards myself and others that are clear psychological abuse.....sometimes with posts that have been in discussion(friendly) only for a poster to throw a stone in between it all to try and clearly bring up unrest or debate.

I think the mods are highlighting that we take control of our own actions, they at the end of the day are the only thing an individual can control and ultimately might be Suprised how it will solve the issues if that is done. Issue we have is here, if we got all involved in a room, all would say they are the victim........persistance and damn right stubbornness isn't going to help the situation.

All should take a step back and take control of their action......we are all grown up and the last thing we exoect or want is a BUT NO response.

Step back, take a breath and good think in one's mind..........i don't hold up much hope but everyone should atleast try and own a bit of responsibility on this.

That's my final say on this one. Might be worth locking this thread Mods.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Banning on 08:49 - Jan 4 with 1000 viewsonehunglow

I’ve started to do this but it takes some doing if you are being defamed or disrespected . It’s human nature to respond. It’s mine anyway . Nobody in real time insults me without confrontation. Nobody.
Majority on here seem fine but a few need confronting although I accept it is pointless because they are both cowards and won’t be told anything ,so it’s a waste of time.
If folk want to wallow in a sea of ignorance then it’s their problem.

Are Long Vita Brevis

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Banning on 08:49 - Jan 4 with 995 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 08:47 - Jan 4 by magicdaps10

I have looked through a few posts that have led to this action by the Mods, on a personal level I have seen many a pist towards myself and others that are clear psychological abuse.....sometimes with posts that have been in discussion(friendly) only for a poster to throw a stone in between it all to try and clearly bring up unrest or debate.

I think the mods are highlighting that we take control of our own actions, they at the end of the day are the only thing an individual can control and ultimately might be Suprised how it will solve the issues if that is done. Issue we have is here, if we got all involved in a room, all would say they are the victim........persistance and damn right stubbornness isn't going to help the situation.

All should take a step back and take control of their action......we are all grown up and the last thing we exoect or want is a BUT NO response.

Step back, take a breath and good think in one's mind..........i don't hold up much hope but everyone should atleast try and own a bit of responsibility on this.

That's my final say on this one. Might be worth locking this thread Mods.

I recommend you report it Daps, sounds awful.

Banning on 08:51 - Jan 4 with 989 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 08:49 - Jan 4 by onehunglow

I’ve started to do this but it takes some doing if you are being defamed or disrespected . It’s human nature to respond. It’s mine anyway . Nobody in real time insults me without confrontation. Nobody.
Majority on here seem fine but a few need confronting although I accept it is pointless because they are both cowards and won’t be told anything ,so it’s a waste of time.
If folk want to wallow in a sea of ignorance then it’s their problem.

Are Long Vita Brevis

Absolutely.

Responding to abuse and false accusations is absolutely imperative and it’s offensive that it’s being attempted to be removed.

I will always respond, always. No easy rides with me, if you are going to abuse me then you are going to have to work for it, as some have found out this week.

This will continue.

Banning on 08:52 - Jan 4 with 991 viewsonehunglow

Banning on 08:49 - Jan 4 by Dr_Parnassus

I recommend you report it Daps, sounds awful.

I can feel the love

Banning on 10:50 - Jan 4 with 916 viewsjack247

This thread is the exact reason I’ve given up posting on here and only browse every couple of days now.

It’s a microcosm of the forum in general. Thread after thread being started or hijacked for inane tittle tattle.

I’ve still got two charity bets with Dr P, which will obviously be honoured if I lose, but other than that, I’m out until it becomes a decent place to chat about the Swans without the childish nonsense that currently overshadows it.
Banning on 11:00 - Jan 4 with 905 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 10:50 - Jan 4 by jack247

This thread is the exact reason I’ve given up posting on here and only browse every couple of days now.

It’s a microcosm of the forum in general. Thread after thread being started or hijacked for inane tittle tattle.

I’ve still got two charity bets with Dr P, which will obviously be honoured if I lose, but other than that, I’m out until it becomes a decent place to chat about the Swans without the childish nonsense that currently overshadows it.

Johns curt responses have not been conducive to a good discussion, sadly.

But the thread is actually excellent. No abuse, people trying to make their point heard about something pretty senseless being brought in.

Unfortunately too many people see a difference of views as offensive, everybody wants total agreement or a breakaway.

I invite the opposing view to explain themselves and discuss the merits and pitfalls of them, otherwise you are flying blind.

Don’t be afraid of discussion.

Login to get fewer ads

Banning on 11:02 - Jan 4 with 905 viewsonehunglow

Banning on 10:50 - Jan 4 by jack247

Every site has this it’s all about replying to the text . Avoid ad hominem

Banning on 11:03 - Jan 4 with 904 viewsjack247

Banning on 11:00 - Jan 4 by Dr_Parnassus

Johns curt responses have not been conducive to a good discussion, sadly.

But the thread is actually excellent. No abuse, people trying to make their point heard about something pretty senseless being brought in.

Unfortunately too many people see a difference of views as offensive, everybody wants total agreement or a breakaway.

I invite the opposing view to explain themselves and discuss the merits and pitfalls of them, otherwise you are flying blind.

Don’t be afraid of discussion.

The content of the thread may be fine. The fact that it has to be here at all is the issue.

When grown men engage in multiple threads arguing about fake usernames, nobody wins.
Banning on 11:05 - Jan 4 with 895 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 11:02 - Jan 4 by onehunglow

Exactly, far too many people are members of discussion board that hate discussion and invent terms like “hijacking” when they don’t like the discussion.

This thread is about banning, it evolved around the new rule regarding banning and there is a debate around the merits and pitfalls of that rule.

It’s exactly what a debate under this threat title should be used for. If people don’t like discussion then they shouldn’t really be on a discussion board anyway in my view.

Banning on 11:09 - Jan 4 with 896 viewsonehunglow

Banning on 11:03 - Jan 4 by jack247

The content of the thread may be fine. The fact that it has to be here at all is the issue.

When grown men engage in multiple threads arguing about fake usernames, nobody wins.

I reply to a username .How many that person has doesn’t bother me
Right now our main worry should be this coach

Banning on 11:13 - Jan 4 with 889 viewsjack247

Banning on 11:02 - Jan 4 by onehunglow

I agree. Every site will have little spats.

Very few will have topics like ‘banning’ and ‘drawing the line’ started by exasperated site owners/mods. Nor will they have the ‘ARQS’ or ‘dadsarmy’ topics posted purely to antagonise.

Do you remember when it mainly used to be about football and having a laugh with fellow Swans fans?
Banning on 11:19 - Jan 4 with 877 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 11:13 - Jan 4 by jack247

Very few will have topics like ‘banning’ and ‘drawing the line’ started by exasperated site owners/mods. Nor will they have the ‘ARQS’ or ‘dadsarmy’ topics posted purely to antagonise.

Do you remember when it mainly used to be about football and having a laugh with fellow Swans fans?

The authors of both those threads have been banned now, so it should be pleasant for the next day or two at least.

Unfortunately the new rule brought in protects these posters upon their return, so it’s likely to get back to that again very quickly unfortunately.

This discussion is now about why that’s a bonkers decision if the true goal is to do as you say and make it a good discussion forum again. It’s an excellent decision if the goal is to protect these individuals from falling foul of further bans for their abuse though.

Banning on 11:39 - Jan 4 with 864 viewsjack247

Banning on 11:19 - Jan 4 by Dr_Parnassus

The authors of both those threads have been banned now, so it should be pleasant for the next day or two at least.

Unfortunately the new rule brought in protects these posters upon their return, so it’s likely to get back to that again very quickly unfortunately.

This discussion is now about why that’s a bonkers decision if the true goal is to do as you say and make it a good discussion forum again. It’s an excellent decision if the goal is to protect these individuals from falling foul of further bans for their abuse though.

There shouldn’t need to be rules around that. People should be adult enough to self moderate.

A football thread that spills over and drags on is one thing. I’ve been involved In too many of those myself. This is another level of petty arguing that ruins the board for people who just want to come here and discuss the Swans.

I’ve had my say.
Banning on 11:41 - Jan 4 with 856 viewsKeithHaynes

Banning on 11:19 - Jan 4 by Dr_Parnassus

It doesn’t protect anyone as any report now has to have some foundation and substance. And the person reporting needs to block them.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Banning on 11:42 - Jan 4 with 848 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 11:39 - Jan 4 by jack247

There shouldn’t need to be rules around that. People should be adult enough to self moderate.

A football thread that spills over and drags on is one thing. I’ve been involved In too many of those myself. This is another level of petty arguing that ruins the board for people who just want to come here and discuss the Swans.

I’ve had my say.

Agreed, abuse then ban. It’s easy.

Don’t understand why things are being over complicated and work load being intentionally increased only to moan about it later.

It’s a football forum, it’s not rocket science.

Banning on 11:48 - Jan 4 with 826 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 11:41 - Jan 4 by KeithHaynes

It doesn’t protect anyone as any report now has to have some foundation and substance. And the person reporting needs to block them.

But that abuser can then wait his ban out, come back and say all sorts…. however the victim no longer has the right of reply.

It’s a far worse punishment for the victim than the abuser.

If I was someone who was a constant abuser of other posters, I’d be rubbing my hands together at the thought of this rule.

Either my victim is forced to keep his right of reply and NOT report me (meaning mods attention isn’t drawn to my attacks), or they report me and HAVE to block me… meaning I can say what I like about them , they can’t see it, so it’s completely unopposed after sitting out a short ban/slap on the wrist.

But if the abuser was made to put their victim on ignore (so the opposite) - it pretty much solves everything.

The victim keeps his right of reply (which is imperative) and the abuser can no longer engage directly. The other way round defeats the object and will just mean people stop using the report function and argue instead.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2023 11:55]

Banning on 12:25 - Jan 4 with 796 viewsLorax

Ok, the cat is out and I agree with DrP, at least partly.

If abuse is reported and upheld, then have both parties put the other on ignore.

Saying that though, if a person is banned for abuse then coming back and saying things again would be extremely stupid and would surely result in another ban?
Banning on 12:32 - Jan 4 with 786 viewsTreforys_Jack

Iesu Grist.
Banning on 12:36 - Jan 4 with 774 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 12:25 - Jan 4 by Lorax

Ok, the cat is out and I agree with DrP, at least partly.

If abuse is reported and upheld, then have both parties put the other on ignore.

Saying that though, if a person is banned for abuse then coming back and saying things again would be extremely stupid and would surely result in another ban?

“ saying things again would be extremely stupid and would surely result in another ban?”

Depends if the mods see it as the victim can no longer report it as they can’t see what is being said. Unlikely anyone else will report it other than the victim themselves.

And also they can be clever in their abuse and instead of outright swearing at them, accuse them of falsehoods. They can’t be banned if nobody knows if it’s true or not… and again the victim won’t be able to see it in order to refute it.

Banning on 12:50 - Jan 4 with 749 viewsLorax

Banning on 12:36 - Jan 4 by Dr_Parnassus

“ saying things again would be extremely stupid and would surely result in another ban?”

Depends if the mods see it as the victim can no longer report it as they can’t see what is being said. Unlikely anyone else will report it other than the victim themselves.

And also they can be clever in their abuse and instead of outright swearing at them, accuse them of falsehoods. They can’t be banned if nobody knows if it’s true or not… and again the victim won’t be able to see it in order to refute it.

Well that's down to the mods. They make the rules and we should follow them. If somebody is outright abusing, has a history and previous bans...or is being 'clever' it's up to the mods to deal with it.

Nobody is so clever to get away with it forever.
Banning on 12:55 - Jan 4 with 739 viewsDr_Parnassus

Banning on 12:50 - Jan 4 by Lorax

Well that's down to the mods. They make the rules and we should follow them. If somebody is outright abusing, has a history and previous bans...or is being 'clever' it's up to the mods to deal with it.

Nobody is so clever to get away with it forever.

It should be down to us all though. This is a community after-all and think if people have genuine reservations then they should be taken on board.

There has been some incredibly serious abuse over the last week. The last thing we should be doing is stopping the victims from being able to see future attacks.

What happens if you see the abuse or more appropriately, lies spread about you when logged out? If you take them off ignore in order to have a right of reply and add your side of the story in - you get banned.

It’s self defeating.

Banning on 12:59 - Jan 4 with 729 viewsonehunglow

Banning on 11:13 - Jan 4 by jack247

I do indeed
I had friends on in those days

Banning on 13:32 - Jan 4 with 707 viewsLorax

Banning on 12:55 - Jan 4 by Dr_Parnassus

It should be down to us all though. This is a community after-all and think if people have genuine reservations then they should be taken on board.

There has been some incredibly serious abuse over the last week. The last thing we should be doing is stopping the victims from being able to see future attacks.

What happens if you see the abuse or more appropriately, lies spread about you when logged out? If you take them off ignore in order to have a right of reply and add your side of the story in - you get banned.

It’s self defeating.

Yes, it's down to all of us so no abuse will go unseen, somebody will see a comment and if they think it abuse or lies, they can report it. Its not just down to the victim.

The arguments have to be stopped, a way has to be found. No system will he perrfect but we won't know if this way works unless we try it.

So let's try it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024