Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI 14:01 - Aug 9 with 18187 viewsModeratorC

The Swans visit a happy hunting ground of late on Saturday. It’s the Baggies away and a fine away turn out is expected.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60615/west-bromwich-albi
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60617/late-late-show-fro

West Bromwich Albion: Alex Palmer, Darnell Furlong, Conor Townsend, Cedric Kipre, Semi Ajayi, Jed Wallace (captain), Jayson Molumby, Matt Phillips, Erik Pieters, John Swift, Okay Yokuslu.

Substitutes: Josh Griffiths, Kyle Bartley, Josh Maja, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jeremy Sarmiento, Alex Mowatt, Taylor Gardner-Hickman, Tom Fellows, Ethan Ingram.

Swansea City: Carl Rushworth; Harry Darling, Ben Cabango, Nathan Wood; Harrison Ashby, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Ollie Cooper, Josh Key; Joel Piroe, Jerry Yates.

Substitutes: Andy Fisher, Joe Allen, Josh Ginnelly, Jamie Paterson, Charlie Patino, Mykola Kuharevich, Liam Cullen, Kyle Naughton, Azeem Abdulai.

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:44 - Aug 13 with 1491 viewsonehunglow

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:41 - Aug 13 by jack247

I know people will disagree, but the first hour was worse than anything I can remember under Martin or Cooper.

In fairness to Duff, he’s spoken about fitness a lot and you could clearly see that towards the end. Wasn’t the case under Martin.

You are right.
Some will disagree.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 11:30 - Aug 13 with 1433 viewsBryanSwan

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:15 - Aug 13 by sw02sea

From all the games I’ve seen so far, and yes it is far too early to make a judgement, but I’m assuming the due diligence was carried out on Duff’s appointment, re our playing style ?
You could imagine Martin giving his “dominating possession” speech in his interview, but I wonder how Duff won over the board in his ?
What were his bullet points ?
I would love to know how his interview went.
Any clues Keith?
Considering Swansea City have built up a reputation for playing passing football with managers like
Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup, Potter ect I’m just curious to know how MD won them over, and hopefully all will be revealed as the season progresses

Passing football with attacking intent, have not seen that down here for a long time now.
Still reserving judgement until xmas, but not exactly a promising start. Need to get a couple wins on the board.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:23 - Aug 13 with 1325 viewsBadlands

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:41 - Aug 13 by jack247

I know people will disagree, but the first hour was worse than anything I can remember under Martin or Cooper.

In fairness to Duff, he’s spoken about fitness a lot and you could clearly see that towards the end. Wasn’t the case under Martin.

We only showed courage in the final 20 minute so where is the cowards comment coming from?
As for Duff fitness comment it sounds like the same mantra as Monk managed to bet the squad fit to run marathons but incapable of playing football for 90 minutes.
If he wants headless chickens running for the whole game I can’t see why we have brought indecent footballers.
It also means our under 21s who are playing lovely possession football will be disadvantaged when the are required to step up.
As always I think a new manager needs to be given until the end of September but the indications so far are not positive.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:57 - Aug 13 with 1286 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:23 - Aug 13 by Badlands

We only showed courage in the final 20 minute so where is the cowards comment coming from?
As for Duff fitness comment it sounds like the same mantra as Monk managed to bet the squad fit to run marathons but incapable of playing football for 90 minutes.
If he wants headless chickens running for the whole game I can’t see why we have brought indecent footballers.
It also means our under 21s who are playing lovely possession football will be disadvantaged when the are required to step up.
As always I think a new manager needs to be given until the end of September but the indications so far are not positive.

What cowards comment?

Ok, take his comment out if it. We were visibly fitter than West Brom for the last 20 minutes or so yesterday. I’ve criticised him, but credit where it’s due as well.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:08 - Aug 13 with 1258 viewsWhiterockin

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:57 - Aug 13 by jack247

What cowards comment?

Ok, take his comment out if it. We were visibly fitter than West Brom for the last 20 minutes or so yesterday. I’ve criticised him, but credit where it’s due as well.

Plus we only used 3 subs to their 5 and one was in the 89th minutes. Yes they won but were tiring dramatically compared to us and no it wasn't them taking the foot off the peddle, they were hanging on.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:13 - Aug 13 with 1245 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:08 - Aug 13 by Whiterockin

Plus we only used 3 subs to their 5 and one was in the 89th minutes. Yes they won but were tiring dramatically compared to us and no it wasn't them taking the foot off the peddle, they were hanging on.

100%. We were fitter than Birmingham in the closing stages too, but it was really obvious yesterday.

I did wonder why we didn’t give Kukharevych a run when we were well on top and getting balls in their box mind.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:37 - Aug 13 with 1128 viewsshingle

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:58 - Aug 12 by KeithHaynes

Very early days.

True, now lets hope things do not get worse.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:02 - Aug 13 with 1116 viewsvetchonian

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 18:47 - Aug 12 by shingle

I know you are no doubt very exited that we made a little comeback when WBA eased off thinking the game was already won however 1 point out of 6 is what matters.

Duff has the same start as Martin who only managed 1 point from his first two games in fact he got 1 from 9 then a win after which he criticised the players for getting then win playing the wrong way.
It's a long season there are still 40 games to go ..

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Login to get fewer ads

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:06 - Aug 13 with 1100 viewsWhiterockin

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:02 - Aug 13 by vetchonian

Duff has the same start as Martin who only managed 1 point from his first two games in fact he got 1 from 9 then a win after which he criticised the players for getting then win playing the wrong way.
It's a long season there are still 40 games to go ..

Hopefully at least 4 more.

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:09 - Aug 13 with 1083 viewsvetchonian

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:06 - Aug 13 by Whiterockin

Hopefully at least 4 more.

just checking who was keeping up......46 games for us

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:39 - Aug 13 with 1045 viewsFlashberryjack

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:08 - Aug 13 by Whiterockin

We may have been the fittest, but WBA took 3 points, we came away with f^ck all.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:06 - Aug 13 with 1024 viewsWhiterockin

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:39 - Aug 13 by Flashberryjack

We may have been the fittest, but WBA took 3 points, we came away with f^ck all.

We gave away stupid goals and our play was atrocious the first 60-70 minutes, late in the game we had some bad luck otherwise we would have picked up points. This was down to fitness as well as substitutions. On another day..........

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:34 - Aug 13 with 1001 viewsFireboy2

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:39 - Aug 13 by Flashberryjack

Glass half empty.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:34 - Aug 13 with 1000 viewsFireboy2

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:06 - Aug 13 by Whiterockin

We gave away stupid goals and our play was atrocious the first 60-70 minutes, late in the game we had some bad luck otherwise we would have picked up points. This was down to fitness as well as substitutions. On another day..........

Glass half full.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:45 - Aug 13 with 976 viewsSullutaCreturned

Our fitness is there now though, it means he can work on the style.

I look back at comments about Martin, how some 18 months in plenty on here were still saying give him time yet 2 games into Duff's time some are already writing him off.

The worse than Martin comment is crazy, we had some awful games under Martin where we were rubbish from beginning to end.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 21:06 - Aug 13 with 955 viewsFireboy2

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:45 - Aug 13 by SullutaCreturned

I look back at comments about Martin, how some 18 months in plenty on here were still saying give him time yet 2 games into Duff's time some are already writing him off.

The worse than Martin comment is crazy, we had some awful games under Martin where we were rubbish from beginning to end.

I honestly believe that we won't play as bad as we did in the first 65 minutes yesterday again this season.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 21:11 - Aug 13 with 952 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 21:06 - Aug 13 by Fireboy2

I honestly believe that we won't play as bad as we did in the first 65 minutes yesterday again this season.

I hope we won't and with Patino in, if he starts regularly we really shouldn't. Well, so the evidene of his debut tells me.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 05:26 - Aug 14 with 854 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 20:45 - Aug 13 by SullutaCreturned

Worse than Martin for the first hour. I can’t recall us playing that badly.

Martin had people saying give him time after 18 months, he also had people writing him off from the very start.

I’m sure Duff will get it right, he’s just started underwhelmingly.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:39 - Aug 14 with 769 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 05:26 - Aug 14 by jack247

Worse than Martin for the first hour. I can’t recall us playing that badly.

Martin had people saying give him time after 18 months, he also had people writing him off from the very start.

I’m sure Duff will get it right, he’s just started underwhelmingly.

Then you have a short memory because there were many games where we were atrocious.

You could look back ay threads on here and there were very many complaints even from people who had strongly supported Martin.

Take Dr P, he was a downer on Martin from the start and many of us argued with him, we supported Martin even though we complained about the games, the slow, slow, slower football, the suicidal passing. What I saw at WBA wasn't worse than Martin but it was very similar.
Players taking too long, players looking scared to make a mistake and so making several mistakes, no spirit, no fire which all changed at about 70 minutes.

Just because you don't remember it, it doesn't mean we weren't as bad under Martin.

You're last line I also disagree with, I'm not sure Duff will get it right , I just hope he does.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:59 - Aug 14 with 758 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:39 - Aug 14 by SullutaCreturned

Then you have a short memory because there were many games where we were atrocious.

You could look back ay threads on here and there were very many complaints even from people who had strongly supported Martin.

Take Dr P, he was a downer on Martin from the start and many of us argued with him, we supported Martin even though we complained about the games, the slow, slow, slower football, the suicidal passing. What I saw at WBA wasn't worse than Martin but it was very similar.
Players taking too long, players looking scared to make a mistake and so making several mistakes, no spirit, no fire which all changed at about 70 minutes.

Just because you don't remember it, it doesn't mean we weren't as bad under Martin.

You're last line I also disagree with, I'm not sure Duff will get it right , I just hope he does.

Would you not describe the first hour Saturday as atrocious then? No need to patronise, we were awful under Martin several times.

It’s subjective. I can’t remember a game we played worse. Can you? You’ve even said in this post it was very similar.

From my point of view, you could see what Martin wanted to do but could also see it wouldn’t work. I couldn’t even do that until The substitutions Saturday. Three central defenders getting on top of each other, wingbacks too far from the action, midfield three dominated and two strikers just out of the game because we were disjointed behind them.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 11:04 - Aug 14 with 741 viewsunion_jack

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:59 - Aug 14 by jack247

Would you not describe the first hour Saturday as atrocious then? No need to patronise, we were awful under Martin several times.

It’s subjective. I can’t remember a game we played worse. Can you? You’ve even said in this post it was very similar.

From my point of view, you could see what Martin wanted to do but could also see it wouldn’t work. I couldn’t even do that until The substitutions Saturday. Three central defenders getting on top of each other, wingbacks too far from the action, midfield three dominated and two strikers just out of the game because we were disjointed behind them.

Though I struggle to remember the details, I can remember games under Martin far worse than that on Saturday. I think Stoke home last year could be one.

Give him time!!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 11:10 - Aug 14 with 726 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 11:04 - Aug 14 by union_jack

Though I struggle to remember the details, I can remember games under Martin far worse than that on Saturday. I think Stoke home last year could be one.

Give him time!!

Give him time 100%.

There’s a massive difference between calling for a managers head and calling out an abject performance. It’s only two games and the first was just about acceptable.

Positives to be taken from Saturday, just not the first hour!
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 12:18 - Aug 14 with 678 viewsunion_jack

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 11:10 - Aug 14 by jack247

Give him time 100%.

There’s a massive difference between calling for a managers head and calling out an abject performance. It’s only two games and the first was just about acceptable.

Positives to be taken from Saturday, just not the first hour!

Yes. I just think that some seeds for getting on his back are being sown at the moment which I don’t think is fair. For all the reasons I stated in another thread.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 12:29 - Aug 14 with 663 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 12:18 - Aug 14 by union_jack

Yes. I just think that some seeds for getting on his back are being sown at the moment which I don’t think is fair. For all the reasons I stated in another thread.

I see where you’re coming from, but I think we have every right to be critical of performances like that, even if it he only his second real game. Especially when he blamed everybody but himself for it.

I genuinely think he’ll figure it out quickly and we’ll be in for a decent season.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 12:56 - Aug 14 with 648 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 10:59 - Aug 14 by jack247

Stoke, we lost at home 1-3, we were utterly rubbish from beginning to end. How we got a goal I don't know.

Joe Allen ran the sho that day and we didn't get close to him. We were 2 games away from half a season of rubbish, 3 wins in 21 and mst of that was slow, painfully so. It was all passing without a purpose, keep the ball at all costs.

It's not patronising to say just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Like I said, there are threads and plenty of posts moaning about the football under Martin.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024