Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dublin Travel Advice 08:13 - Mar 24 with 3259 viewsQPR_Nippon

*edit: sorry, another Dublin post, didn't spot the earlier one*
Hi everyone,
Always found this forum superb for getting travel advice, and know we have a healthy contingent of Irish Rs on here, so. Me and the missus have booked 3 nights in Wicklow over Easter, about an hour outside Dublin. Incredibly, it's our first trip to Ireland, so any advice on what to do/see would be gratefully received. Planning to spend a day in Dublin, so especially keen to get advice on how to get the most out of our day there. We also like a good walk/scenic drive.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 11:23]
Dublin Travel Advice on 09:23 - Mar 24 with 3234 viewskingsburyR

Wicklow is beautiful and well work a long slow drive into the mountains.

Dublin is great craic. The Guinness factory tour is a must as far as I am concerned. Temple Bar is worth a look in the evenings but bring a fat wallet!

I'm sure you'll get loads of advice in the coming hours!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Dublin Travel Advice on 11:20 - Mar 24 with 3212 viewsQPR_Nippon

Dublin Travel Advice on 09:23 - Mar 24 by kingsburyR

Wicklow is beautiful and well work a long slow drive into the mountains.

Dublin is great craic. The Guinness factory tour is a must as far as I am concerned. Temple Bar is worth a look in the evenings but bring a fat wallet!

I'm sure you'll get loads of advice in the coming hours!

Thanks Kingsbury. Yeah, hopefully but only just noticed there's another Dublin thread on the first page

Had a quick look through it, and seems to be mostly pub recommendations. Now much as I'd love to a Dublin pub crawl, I'll be driving back to Wicklow in the evening. I'm sure I'll manage a lunchtime pint or two of the local brew but info about things to do and see is more what we're after.
Dublin Travel Advice on 02:48 - Mar 25 with 3134 viewsdublinr

To be honest, I think people talk about pubs and the Guinness storehouse because there isn't much else to see or do in Dublin. Desperate tourists end up going to the zoo (shite and expensive). Wandering round the Georgian city is nice (Stephen's green, merrion square, etc) and let's you take in Leinster house, the national museum (meh), the national gallery (good Emil nolde exhibition on now). If you like an old fashioned museum, try dropping into the natural history museum (next door to the national gallery), stuffed animals behind glass

Dublin Travel Advice on 03:05 - Mar 25 with 3130 viewsdublinr

Sorry, fat fingers.

The centre is small, you'll be able to see a lot in an afternoon's stroll. The coast is nice too. You could take the DART to howth and eat fish. Or Dun Laoghaire (walk on the pier) or bray (the walk over bray head to greystones is lovely - a bit long, but you could take the DART back to town).

Croke park is worth a visit

You won't be short of things to do.

Oh, and if you have time and the weather's fine, try taking the old road over the mountains from Wicklow to dublin (the sally gap and the military road). Amazing landscape

Dublin Travel Advice on 10:29 - Mar 25 with 3100 viewsGloryHunter

Dublin Travel Advice on 02:48 - Mar 25 by dublinr

To be honest, I think people talk about pubs and the Guinness storehouse because there isn't much else to see or do in Dublin. Desperate tourists end up going to the zoo (shite and expensive). Wandering round the Georgian city is nice (Stephen's green, merrion square, etc) and let's you take in Leinster house, the national museum (meh), the national gallery (good Emil nolde exhibition on now). If you like an old fashioned museum, try dropping into the natural history museum (next door to the national gallery), stuffed animals behind glass

Not much to do in Dublin? The place is simply dripping with history. The Post Office, the Easter Rising etc etc. There's a great bookshop in the main drag close to the Post Office (can't remember the name) - have a browse round the Irish history section.
Dublin Travel Advice on 17:26 - Mar 25 with 3065 viewsRBlock

Kilmainham Gaol is meant to be really good, although it was all booked up when we went.
Dublin Travel Advice on 18:50 - Mar 25 with 3040 viewsBoston

Dublin is a three dayer on the trip scale. Agree with The dub poster, there really isn’t that much to do / see, but that’s not knocking the place as I consider most cities to only have that window of attraction for the average tourist.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dublin Travel Advice on 20:42 - Mar 25 with 3009 viewsdanehoop

Dublin Travel Advice on 17:26 - Mar 25 by RBlock

Kilmainham Gaol is meant to be really good, although it was all booked up when we went.

Agree with this. Surprisingly perhaps, very much taken with the visit to the Gaol. Quite scary to see what occurred here and there is a very dark history captured well. Grafton Street is a nice walk as is the walk around the older green leafy areas mentioned earlier. Easy city to get around in a day, walking is fine for much, and short bus hops to other places easy enough.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

Dublin Travel Advice on 21:02 - Mar 25 with 2998 viewsLythamR

If you like walking then take a look at the link below, there are walks for various levels and costs are very reasonable.

http://mountaintrails.ie/tour-category/guided-day-hikes-dublin-wicklow-mountains

its a lovely way to work up an appetite
Dublin Travel Advice on 19:13 - Mar 27 with 2897 viewsQPR_Nippon

Thanks so much for the tips, all.

Will try and book a visit to the Gaol and take in as much of the city as possible on foot.

Will definitely do Wicklow mountains and Sally Gap. May get out to the coast, we'll see.

Any recommendations on decent places to eat in Dublin also very welcome!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024