Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sutton United (a) Match Thread 07:43 - Nov 17 with 13906 viewsHullDale

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 17:47 - Nov 19 with 3078 viewskel

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 16:47 - Nov 19 by DaleiLama

He has been Odoh, Odoa, Odaho, Odahoa, Oho at least. I suspect he may be dyslexic? Toumania got off lightly as his Christian name is easier to manage. Diagouraga, on his one and only effort, felt like an assault course.

Our ‘commentator’ ain’t much better. I could only dip in and out of the game today and chose to listen to the Sutton ones but I was told ours described Barrow v Hartlepool as a local derby.

Aye, just up the road.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 17:50 - Nov 19 with 3031 viewsD_Alien

After the break, we've got 10 games to the end of January, 6 at home, all are "winnable"

During that time we play 3 of the teams around us, Harrogate first up and Colchester & Hartlepool* on consecutive Saturdays in mid-January

Possibly one of the most crucial two-month spells in our footballing history

*Hartlepool at home on Boxing Day too
[Post edited 19 Nov 2022 17:52]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 17:54 - Nov 19 with 3031 viewsjoecooke

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 16:37 - Nov 19 by since58

Listening to away comms .Odaho is that a county in America ffs.

They had me giggling when chatting about xmas and baking a cake alongside what they were having for tea tommorow!

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:16 - Nov 19 with 2882 views49thseason

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 17:38 - Nov 19 by electricblue

Another game that Dale looked like they would never score even if they continued playing until doomsday.....

The board really need to back JB in January....

January signings with what,? The club is skint.. we dont have anyone capable of playing on the wing and putting a cross in, which more or less leaves Quigley out of the game since he has no pace and turns slower than a supertanker. I have no idea why they put Rodney out wide, his only skill is running onto a through ball, but we seem to have decided thats Hendersons job. Ball was worse than awful, another who does not seem to have a position that he can be successful in.
Winter has arrived and the Rochdale team is going into its habitual period of hibernation, the Bentley Bounce has pancaked, its hard to see where the next goal is coming from. January will change little or nothing. We are in a 5 or 6 team division any of which could finish in the bottom 2, we simply cannot go on scoring once in every four games.
My guess is that most if not all the loanees except Quigley will be sent back if they can be to try and make room for a couple of full time signings, but dont hold your breath
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:16 - Nov 19 with 2913 viewsCedar_Room

You have to think that with Quigley and Odoh back that was probably our best starting XI today and they were pretty awful. We had very few chances so yes I think the problem is not finishing but the midfield. For all Brierleys strengths he didn’t have a great game today. There was a set piece at the end which before it was even kicked I said was going to float in straight to the keeper. Which it then did. It’s too much to ask him to be the main playmaker week in week out - Brierley will have his moments but he’s still learning and needs much much more support. I have never seen Ball have a good game so I don’t know what on earth he brings to the team. Why can’t Malley get a game when the rest of the midfield seems so poor? Diagouraga can be solid but he has an Odoh esque tendency to give the ball away cheaply and invariably simply passes the ball to the man 2 foot away from him as though he’s terrified for being in possession for any longer than a second. Odoh can have his moments (although very much didn’t today) but his touch and final ball leave plenty to be desired. I think our defence has become pretty solid under EBJ but I could happily see most of that midfield replaced in January and really I think that’s where we need most strengthening.
I’d get rid of Ball, Sinclair, Rodney, Tulloch, Campbell for starters and hope we are not so far gone that we can’t attract players of better quality. We need to because otherwise this is a squad who are showing all the signs of struggling badly. Any sort of bounce EBJ gave us has evaporated and we are very much back in the mire.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:18 - Nov 19 with 2899 viewsupthedale2403

Wow that was awful! So bad EBJ sent Nick Chadwick out to do the post match interview! I cannot remember such a weak set of players turning out for the club! We have players pulling out of tackles they are jumping for headers but not challenging to actually win the header, it’s garbage
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:47 - Nov 19 with 2761 viewssince58

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 17:32 - Nov 19 by fourfourtwo

“We don’t appear to have a quality finisher”

We have the all time leading goal scorer of the club & Scott Quigley at the club.

If we can find a way for those two to create some sort of partnership there is undoubted quality & goals there.

The issues lay behind them for me. Ball is absolutely awful. Nowhere near the standard required. Rodney offers little, Odoh flatters to deceive and Sinclair looks good, occasionally.

Can Brierley and Diagouraga play regularly in a midfield 2? Could Keohane drop into a midfield 3 and be replaced by Seriki at RB? Genuinely who are the two who should be plaging on the wing?

There are certainly options that Bentley can try to see us through to January, however the next game is absolutely massive.

One is old and slow the other is young and slow . End of.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:57 - Nov 19 with 2720 viewsfourfourtwo

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:47 - Nov 19 by since58

One is old and slow the other is young and slow . End of.

Ah yeah. I forget that Lambert, Murray, O’Grady, Beesley & Davies were also blessed with pace…

That defender we had, Dawson was it? He was rapid as well wasn’t he…
Login to get fewer ads

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:00 - Nov 19 with 2709 viewswmgunit

EEL and Graham looked like a solid centre back partnership to me. Aside from the corner, where they and RO’D may have been impeded.

Quigley started brightly, but faded as the game went on. Unsurprisingly given it was his first game back. Henderson still has a wonderful touch when given the chance to show it.

Tend to agree that the problem is in midfield, who aren’t creating the chances for them. I’d thought Ball at least gave you a bit more of an aerial threat in the side, but even that wasn’t on offer today.

First time I’ve watched Brierley play the full 90 today and it was a pleasure. Some comments saying he underperformed on this thread. If so, would like to see him have a good game. What a passing range. Head and shoulders above the rest of that midfield on today’s evidence.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread (n/t) on 19:15 - Nov 19 with 2636 viewssince58

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:57 - Nov 19 by fourfourtwo

Ah yeah. I forget that Lambert, Murray, O’Grady, Beesley & Davies were also blessed with pace…

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:20 - Nov 19 with 2611 viewssince58

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:57 - Nov 19 by fourfourtwo

???
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:35 - Nov 19 with 2532 viewsfourfourtwo

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:20 - Nov 19 by since58

???

Pace isn’t the be all and end all.

Quigley is a proven goal scorer at this level, and is a proven goal scorer for us.

If we can sort out the midfield and try to supply him in the right way, there is a reliable source of goals for a good few years.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:46 - Nov 19 with 2479 viewssince58

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:35 - Nov 19 by fourfourtwo

Pace isn’t the be all and end all.

Quigley is a proven goal scorer at this level, and is a proven goal scorer for us.

If we can sort out the midfield and try to supply him in the right way, there is a reliable source of goals for a good few years.

Pace is this division or any other is a killer .
End of.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:50 - Nov 19 with 2454 viewsnordenblue

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:46 - Nov 19 by since58

End of.

It's absolutely useless with no end product.... the killer in any league is scoring goals not being fast or slow
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 19:54 - Nov 19 with 2431 viewsdingdangblue

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 17:38 - Nov 19 by electricblue

Another game that Dale looked like they would never score even if they continued playing until doomsday.....

The board really need to back JB in January....

We should have had 2.
Quigley was through on goal in the 1st half when Odoh put him through but he was soooo slow the defender got back.
Then Hendo should have scored in injury time.
They were 2 wonderful chances.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 20:00 - Nov 19 with 2418 viewskel

End of.

Did you ever watch Usain Bolt in those soccer aid games?
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 20:04 - Nov 19 with 2395 views442Dale

End of.

Odoh and Rodney have lots of pace. Henderson and Quigley can score goals. The problem lies in how we attack and create chances. We don’t create enough pressure because there isn’t enough quality.

When we finished in our highest ever league position (at the time) in 10/11, the only player with real pace who started regularly was Wiseman at right back.

In 16/17 we were in the top four at new year with our only player with real pace, NML, being unable to break into the team regularly.

There’s an argument we’ve as much pace now as in those two examples. It’s how you employ pace amongst what you have.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2022 20:08]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 20:16 - Nov 19 with 2360 viewsD_Dale

https://www.skysports.com/football/sutton-united-vs-rochdale/468601

Hendo should have pinched a last-minute point, but given the players available he's got to be on the teamsheet.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 20:31 - Nov 19 with 2311 viewsmikehunt

Hendo should have had a goal earlier when Brierley fed him another peach, straight on to his head but, sadly, he headed wide.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 20:43 - Nov 19 with 2252 views442Dale

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 20:16 - Nov 19 by D_Dale

https://www.skysports.com/football/sutton-united-vs-rochdale/468601

Hendo should have pinched a last-minute point, but given the players available he's got to be on the teamsheet.

Obviously only highlights and others will have a better opinion from seeing the whole game, but Brierley’s vision and influence was all too apparent on a couple of occasions. Additions are desperately needed in midfield, not only because what we have isn’t good enough, but to ensure Brierley progresses as a player too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 22:34 - Nov 19 with 1996 viewsBeechball

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 18:16 - Nov 19 by Cedar_Room

You have to think that with Quigley and Odoh back that was probably our best starting XI today and they were pretty awful. We had very few chances so yes I think the problem is not finishing but the midfield. For all Brierleys strengths he didn’t have a great game today. There was a set piece at the end which before it was even kicked I said was going to float in straight to the keeper. Which it then did. It’s too much to ask him to be the main playmaker week in week out - Brierley will have his moments but he’s still learning and needs much much more support. I have never seen Ball have a good game so I don’t know what on earth he brings to the team. Why can’t Malley get a game when the rest of the midfield seems so poor? Diagouraga can be solid but he has an Odoh esque tendency to give the ball away cheaply and invariably simply passes the ball to the man 2 foot away from him as though he’s terrified for being in possession for any longer than a second. Odoh can have his moments (although very much didn’t today) but his touch and final ball leave plenty to be desired. I think our defence has become pretty solid under EBJ but I could happily see most of that midfield replaced in January and really I think that’s where we need most strengthening.
I’d get rid of Ball, Sinclair, Rodney, Tulloch, Campbell for starters and hope we are not so far gone that we can’t attract players of better quality. We need to because otherwise this is a squad who are showing all the signs of struggling badly. Any sort of bounce EBJ gave us has evaporated and we are very much back in the mire.

I suspect Malley has already given notice he wants to move on in January ; that's the only logical explanation for Ball's continued presence in the side. He's the most out of his depth player we've had since Leighton McGivern..
One bright spot is that with Halifax and Oldham in the National League we do have two obvious outlets to loan some of our underperformers to in January.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 22:34 - Nov 19 with 1993 viewsHullDale

We were very poor.

They were very poor.

The officials were very very poor.

The ground was poor.

The atmosphere was poor.

The cheeseburgers were lovely.
Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 23:06 - Nov 19 with 1910 viewsJames1980

Was the sale Of Charman spoken about at the AGM/EGM. Shame we didn't have that option of the bench. (I am working today so couldn't attend the match, but watched on Ifollow)

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 00:57 - Nov 20 with 1782 viewsdingdangblue

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 23:06 - Nov 19 by James1980

Was the sale Of Charman spoken about at the AGM/EGM. Shame we didn't have that option of the bench. (I am working today so couldn't attend the match, but watched on Ifollow)

Although I noticed Fylde were 1-0 down in the FA cup last week and Charman wasn't used from their bench.
🤔

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Sutton United (a) Match Thread on 04:26 - Nov 20 with 1685 viewsrichfoad32

I would have to see it again but I don't think there was a foul for their goal. I thought their player just made a run across O'Donnell at the last second, leaving him unsighted but not impeded. In contrast, it's noticeable how little variety or threat there is from our own set pieces.

It certainly wasn't as bad as last season's capitulation at the same ground but that's not saying much. Possibly even deserved a draw with our second half efforts as we at least managed to carve out a couple of decent chances. A few months ago I would've had us nailed on to drop out of the football league under Stockdale, Bentley has at least given us a fighting chance and deserves great credit for that. But we are a poor team in a poor league and for the most part for me, it's been stultifyingly dull to watch.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2022 6:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024