Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems Tony is planning something?? 18:34 - Aug 27 with 22573 viewsdermyqpr

Taken from a post by an Irish R;

I see uncle Tony and his cronies are increasing the share holding of the club. To the untrained financial eye this looks like the club will receive a cash injection. To those that know business it's a clever move to spread the debt the club is currently in. But the board wrote of that debt I hear you say, true but not true, in fact by increasing the shareholding it spreads the debt and gets the club ready for putting in the shop window. The sooner we are sold the better but who is going to buy a club that is on the brink. Worrying times ahead.
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:50 - Aug 29 with 2809 viewsDorse

I've been lurking on this thread for a bit, mainly because I am really conflicted about the whole Fernandes thing. I agree with pretty much everything that has been written so far.

Has Fernandes fcuked up? Absolutely, and on several different levels.
But, he hasn't done an Allam and, at the very least, seems to have handed over to people who are less prepared to paper over the cracks.

So, is he good for the club? I have no idea but he is a known quantity and seeing some of the 'fit and proper' cunce that run various other clubs, I'd be very afraid that we'd end up with someone far worse.

Fernandes has made some monumentally bad calls. It's like an object lesson in 'How To Fail In Football' at times. However, he has also presided over the club trying to find its roots once more. I have never been more proud of QPR than when we saw that young lad James on TV talking about the QPR In The Community Trust. The inception of the Forever Rs club and bringing in people like Sinton to become the public face of the club has been outstanding.

I get the feeling that the club is returning to the place it was when I first fell in love with it. If Fernandes had not made those wrong calls, would we be seeing this happen? Or would we be a millionaire's boutique club? I'm not excusing his poor decision-making or frankly laughable attempts to make the club into a Premiership contender. No, he fcuked up royally. I just feel that I've got 'my' Rangers back, after ABC, Paladini, Tango & Cash, Hughes, Redknapp, Joorabchian, Joey Fcuking Barton and any number of faceless, no-mark arseholes have made me look a gimp for supporting them. TF's bad decisions have eventually given me back 'my' club, for what it's worth.

In summary: I'd rather he got it right the first time around but at least we aren't Chelsea.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 16:18 - Aug 29 with 2745 viewsCiderwithRsie

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:50 - Aug 29 by Dorse

I've been lurking on this thread for a bit, mainly because I am really conflicted about the whole Fernandes thing. I agree with pretty much everything that has been written so far.

But, he hasn't done an Allam and, at the very least, seems to have handed over to people who are less prepared to paper over the cracks.

So, is he good for the club? I have no idea but he is a known quantity and seeing some of the 'fit and proper' cunce that run various other clubs, I'd be very afraid that we'd end up with someone far worse.

Fernandes has made some monumentally bad calls. It's like an object lesson in 'How To Fail In Football' at times. However, he has also presided over the club trying to find its roots once more. I have never been more proud of QPR than when we saw that young lad James on TV talking about the QPR In The Community Trust. The inception of the Forever Rs club and bringing in people like Sinton to become the public face of the club has been outstanding.

I get the feeling that the club is returning to the place it was when I first fell in love with it. If Fernandes had not made those wrong calls, would we be seeing this happen? Or would we be a millionaire's boutique club? I'm not excusing his poor decision-making or frankly laughable attempts to make the club into a Premiership contender. No, he fcuked up royally. I just feel that I've got 'my' Rangers back, after ABC, Paladini, Tango & Cash, Hughes, Redknapp, Joorabchian, Joey Fcuking Barton and any number of faceless, no-mark arseholes have made me look a gimp for supporting them. TF's bad decisions have eventually given me back 'my' club, for what it's worth.

In summary: I'd rather he got it right the first time around but at least we aren't Chelsea.

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 16:56 - Aug 29 with 2674 viewsTrom

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 09:51 - Aug 29 by terryb

Other's will know far more than I do about this, but surely if they hadn't have converted the loan they would have risked losing all of their "investment" if the club entered administration?

By converting the loan they stand a chance of recovering the "investment" if/when they sell their share holding?

The conversion was good for the club & for the owners, but honourable? I don't think so. Just a good business decision.

Debt holders are entitled to interest and principal when due and can put a company into liquidation if not paid. They also rank ahead of equity holders in a liquidation.

Equity holders have no rights to be paid anything (dividends are discretionary) and rank below creditors on a liquidation. The only way you make money is via dividends or by hoping the value of the company and hence shares go up over time. I can't see either of those things happening in the near future.

Financially it was a very good thing for the club that the debt was converted into equity.

No doubt it also made the club a more saleable asset (essentially the net assets of the club rise by the debt that's been converted), but still not a profit making one. I can't imagine there's a queue of buyers lining up.
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 18:11 - Aug 29 with 2600 viewsWatfordR

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 16:56 - Aug 29 by Trom

Debt holders are entitled to interest and principal when due and can put a company into liquidation if not paid. They also rank ahead of equity holders in a liquidation.

Equity holders have no rights to be paid anything (dividends are discretionary) and rank below creditors on a liquidation. The only way you make money is via dividends or by hoping the value of the company and hence shares go up over time. I can't see either of those things happening in the near future.

Financially it was a very good thing for the club that the debt was converted into equity.

No doubt it also made the club a more saleable asset (essentially the net assets of the club rise by the debt that's been converted), but still not a profit making one. I can't imagine there's a queue of buyers lining up.

Here's the thing.

Even in the event that there is someone out there who wants to buy the club, almost certainly, they won't have experience of running a football business. Our particular business is in dire need of investment in its infrastructure; we need a new stadium (irrespective of where, it could be LR, it could be OOC, wherever), we need a proper training facility. You could add an academy maybe. That's going to cost a fortune anywhere it happens anywhere close to LR.

So to improve on where we are and what we have,we're going to need someone with hefty finances and nous of running a football club. Whatever mistakes TF/Tune Group may have made up until now, I don't honestly think anyone else would be likely to meet both those requirements any more adequately. To get better than them,we'd have to be incredibly INCREDIBLY lucky. And one thing you can never accuse QPR of is being lucky.

I say stick with what we have.
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 21:07 - Aug 29 with 2476 viewsYorkRanger

Think this post is pretty much where I am with my thinking on this matter
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 22:08 - Aug 29 with 2385 viewsloneranger1

Like YorkRanger, thanks for putting into words my feelings on this too
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 22:38 - Aug 29 with 2343 viewsTacticalR

The disappointments of the Fernandes reign bring to mind the following observation by one of the pioneers of the scientific method:

Air hostess clique

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 10:04 - Aug 30 with 2209 viewsTonto

Dorse's post is far more eloquent and persuasive than I managed, and I also endorse (scuse pun) what he said)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 10:34 - Aug 30 with 2177 viewsterryb

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 10:04 - Aug 30 by Tonto

Dorse's post is far more eloquent and persuasive than I managed, and I also endorse (scuse pun) what he said)

Strangely enough. So do I.
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 12:58 - Aug 30 with 2098 viewsTheChef

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 18:11 - Aug 29 by WatfordR

Here's the thing.

Even in the event that there is someone out there who wants to buy the club, almost certainly, they won't have experience of running a football business. Our particular business is in dire need of investment in its infrastructure; we need a new stadium (irrespective of where, it could be LR, it could be OOC, wherever), we need a proper training facility. You could add an academy maybe. That's going to cost a fortune anywhere it happens anywhere close to LR.

So to improve on where we are and what we have,we're going to need someone with hefty finances and nous of running a football club. Whatever mistakes TF/Tune Group may have made up until now, I don't honestly think anyone else would be likely to meet both those requirements any more adequately. To get better than them,we'd have to be incredibly INCREDIBLY lucky. And one thing you can never accuse QPR of is being lucky.

I say stick with what we have.

Agreed.

This is QPR - you just know that the next owner in line would be an asset-stripping egotist.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 13:23 - Aug 30 with 2060 viewshook_hoops

Absolutely agree with this. Yes, he's made mistakes but it looks like he has at last learned what QPR means and what sort of club it should be. You look around at some other owners and we could be a lot worse off
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 13:41 - Aug 30 with 2001 viewspaulparker

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 13:23 - Aug 30 by hook_hoops

Absolutely agree with this. Yes, he's made mistakes but it looks like he has at last learned what QPR means and what sort of club it should be. You look around at some other owners and we could be a lot worse off

I didn't know there was so many gullible fans out there still

TF has no choice in what QPR should be we still have an FFP fine hanging over us due to his mistakes , Fernades will be itching and I mean itching to be involved in this circus of a transfer window , blowing millions upon millions on average players and getting himself on sky sports news & twittering away , the man is an ego maniac
the only way QPR is being run anything like a football club is because we are skint and because of FFP that's also why any potential owners wont touch us either

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 13:55 - Aug 30 with 1974 viewsdanehoop

I have posted this before, but Fernandes business model usually revolves around taking professional advice and hiring in good managers and empowering them to do the job. He tried the same thing with QPR by bringing in highly regarded football managers and making resources available for them to get in the players/support staff that they felt they needed to do the job. He also did the same on the financial side in hiring Phil Beard, who was a well regarded venue manager at the O2 and would therefore know a bit about managing a stadium and ancillary functions plus further estate development.

Unfortunately in football it doesnt necessarily work that way - Hughes has his first real failure as manager, Kia Joorobichan appears to filled his boots in seeing a naive chairman heading his way. Bagpuss was another who on paper looked a good signing as manager, only for his lies, lack of suitability and inappropiateness for the role to be exposed. At the sametime, it became apparent that Beard's venue management skills were less transferrable to the (often surreal) footballing environment.

Fernandes too made a crtical mistake of not acting as he had building the succesful business model at TuneGroup and dropping a failing business unit. Instead he had fallen foul of becoming a fan (and there is a genuine passion for the club there). That led to continued poor decision making with heart ruling head. However, there was also arguably a realisation that there was potential money to be made from a new stadium development.

Now TF has largely stepped back from QPR to focus on his wider business interests and in doing so made two of the most astute signings Hoos and Ferdinand. Working through them and Reuban there has been progress and the emergence of a longer term plan to run QPR according to its income and convert outstanding debt to equity to provide a more sustainable long term footing.

I think there is plenty to criticise in decisions made by Fernandes which with hindsight look poor - but at the time and in the context of the knowledge available and Fernandes operating model, made sense (mostly) .

On balance Fernandes has been a well intentioned chairman who has been willing to back his managers where he can finanically. He has looked to hire in best available staff and tried improve things. But for all of those intentions and money spent, arguably we appear to be no better off infrastructure wise than before. But whisper it gently, we have started to turn the corner and whilst it may take time, we are slowly getting the club into better shape financially and on the playing side.

Never knowingly understood

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 14:20 - Aug 30 with 1934 viewsWatfordR

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 13:41 - Aug 30 by paulparker

I didn't know there was so many gullible fans out there still

TF has no choice in what QPR should be we still have an FFP fine hanging over us due to his mistakes , Fernades will be itching and I mean itching to be involved in this circus of a transfer window , blowing millions upon millions on average players and getting himself on sky sports news & twittering away , the man is an ego maniac
the only way QPR is being run anything like a football club is because we are skint and because of FFP that's also why any potential owners wont touch us either

Strange. An ego maniac who is prepared to step back from the limelight. Not many of those around. You've only got to see Trump on his "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" tour of Texas to see what an ego maniac really looks like.

QPR as a club have been "skint" since Jim Gregory exited, like it or not, we'd have been goners long before now without other people's money to rely on. It's every bit as likely that we're being run closer to properly because TF and Tune have learned their lessons to their cost (not the club's) rather than despite.

If our owners were as set in their opinions as to what's right or wrong as some of the posters on here, we'd no doubt have had Neymar in this season to lead our triumphant march back to the Prem.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 14:21]
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 14:24 - Aug 30 with 1923 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 13:55 - Aug 30 by danehoop

I have posted this before, but Fernandes business model usually revolves around taking professional advice and hiring in good managers and empowering them to do the job. He tried the same thing with QPR by bringing in highly regarded football managers and making resources available for them to get in the players/support staff that they felt they needed to do the job. He also did the same on the financial side in hiring Phil Beard, who was a well regarded venue manager at the O2 and would therefore know a bit about managing a stadium and ancillary functions plus further estate development.

Unfortunately in football it doesnt necessarily work that way - Hughes has his first real failure as manager, Kia Joorobichan appears to filled his boots in seeing a naive chairman heading his way. Bagpuss was another who on paper looked a good signing as manager, only for his lies, lack of suitability and inappropiateness for the role to be exposed. At the sametime, it became apparent that Beard's venue management skills were less transferrable to the (often surreal) footballing environment.

Fernandes too made a crtical mistake of not acting as he had building the succesful business model at TuneGroup and dropping a failing business unit. Instead he had fallen foul of becoming a fan (and there is a genuine passion for the club there). That led to continued poor decision making with heart ruling head. However, there was also arguably a realisation that there was potential money to be made from a new stadium development.

Now TF has largely stepped back from QPR to focus on his wider business interests and in doing so made two of the most astute signings Hoos and Ferdinand. Working through them and Reuban there has been progress and the emergence of a longer term plan to run QPR according to its income and convert outstanding debt to equity to provide a more sustainable long term footing.

I think there is plenty to criticise in decisions made by Fernandes which with hindsight look poor - but at the time and in the context of the knowledge available and Fernandes operating model, made sense (mostly) .

On balance Fernandes has been a well intentioned chairman who has been willing to back his managers where he can finanically. He has looked to hire in best available staff and tried improve things. But for all of those intentions and money spent, arguably we appear to be no better off infrastructure wise than before. But whisper it gently, we have started to turn the corner and whilst it may take time, we are slowly getting the club into better shape financially and on the playing side.

In summary, he totally cocked it up and now he's not really running things, we're seeing the green shoots of recovery.

Of course, we don't know how strong the roots are or, whether forces outside of our control will bugger us up, but with Tony Pony no longer head gardener, we like what we see.

Shame he didn't relinquish the watering can a lot earlier, and when it still had some water in it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 14:40 - Aug 30 with 1877 viewspaulparker

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 14:20 - Aug 30 by WatfordR

Strange. An ego maniac who is prepared to step back from the limelight. Not many of those around. You've only got to see Trump on his "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" tour of Texas to see what an ego maniac really looks like.

QPR as a club have been "skint" since Jim Gregory exited, like it or not, we'd have been goners long before now without other people's money to rely on. It's every bit as likely that we're being run closer to properly because TF and Tune have learned their lessons to their cost (not the club's) rather than despite.

If our owners were as set in their opinions as to what's right or wrong as some of the posters on here, we'd no doubt have had Neymar in this season to lead our triumphant march back to the Prem.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 14:21]

he is stepping away from the limelight because he has bolloxed us up ,
he would have been dying to be involved tomorrow with Harry lining up crap deals and blowing millions on sh1t over the hill players , it kills him that we are not like that anymore , as for this learning his lessons crap , do me a favour , he hasn't we are one tweet away from les and & co probably getting the sack or undoing all the great work they have done , we are not being run "properly" because tony has seen the light its because we have to meet FFP and because we are skint having ballsed up 2 premier league campaigns and lost 250 million

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:02 - Aug 30 with 1845 viewsBostonR

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 13:55 - Aug 30 by danehoop

Spot-on post. At least he has acted in a credo-like way and taken responsibility for his mistakes.
He and the Board have more than taken responsibility for their oversight of the club and have paid a heavy financial price. Investors from Asia Pacific are traditionally honourable and I would expect the Board to always try to do the best for their interests and the fans.
At the end of the day, they own the club and if they decide to sell up, so be it. I hope they stay on as they do have huge investment resources.
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:04 - Aug 30 with 1840 viewsCiderwithRsie

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 22:38 - Aug 29 by TacticalR

The disappointments of the Fernandes reign bring to mind the following observation by one of the pioneers of the scientific method:

Are you sure that it wasn't Francis Hope and the quotation should have been "Bacon is a good breakfast and not bad for supper"?
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:07 - Aug 30 with 1836 viewsWatfordR

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 14:40 - Aug 30 by paulparker

he is stepping away from the limelight because he has bolloxed us up ,
he would have been dying to be involved tomorrow with Harry lining up crap deals and blowing millions on sh1t over the hill players , it kills him that we are not like that anymore , as for this learning his lessons crap , do me a favour , he hasn't we are one tweet away from les and & co probably getting the sack or undoing all the great work they have done , we are not being run "properly" because tony has seen the light its because we have to meet FFP and because we are skint having ballsed up 2 premier league campaigns and lost 250 million

Anything in your post that you can prove, or is it all just your opinion?
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:19 - Aug 30 with 1808 viewspaulparker

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:07 - Aug 30 by WatfordR

Anything in your post that you can prove, or is it all just your opinion?

so he hasn't made a pig ear of things then & he hasn't spunked more than 250 million
all of this whilst we have been pathetically relegated under two premier league seasons under his ownership, what part of any of that isn't correct

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:36 - Aug 30 with 1771 viewsTrom

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 12:58 - Aug 30 by TheChef

Agreed.

This is QPR - you just know that the next owner in line would be an asset-stripping egotist.

The only way to asset strip the club would be to buy the club for less than the value of Loftus Road. I can't see how this would happen.
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:36 - Aug 30 with 1771 viewsTonto

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:19 - Aug 30 by paulparker

so he hasn't made a pig ear of things then & he hasn't spunked more than 250 million
all of this whilst we have been pathetically relegated under two premier league seasons under his ownership, what part of any of that isn't correct

he was talking about all your other claims - of which there were many.

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:42 - Aug 30 with 1755 viewspaulparker

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:36 - Aug 30 by Tonto

he was talking about all your other claims - of which there were many.

So you or him don't think he would be itching to get into this transfer window blowing money left right and centre then ????

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:43 - Aug 30 with 1754 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 14:24 - Aug 30 by PlanetHonneywood

In summary, he totally cocked it up and now he's not really running things, we're seeing the green shoots of recovery.

Of course, we don't know how strong the roots are or, whether forces outside of our control will bugger us up, but with Tony Pony no longer head gardener, we like what we see.

Shame he didn't relinquish the watering can a lot earlier, and when it still had some water in it.

I prefer Danes version. It's a lot better-informed.
Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:59 - Aug 30 with 1715 viewsTonto

Seems Tony is planning something?? on 15:42 - Aug 30 by paulparker

So you or him don't think he would be itching to get into this transfer window blowing money left right and centre then ????

answering the question with a question? Ok I'll answer yours but only if you answer the original one on where your evidence is for your significant claims.

No I don't think he will want to blow money. for 2 reasons, firstly it is now Tune Group and no longer his personal money and secondly because, as Clive points out in his piece about the Linfield winger, that the club lost £11M last year. Next year, with no parachute payments and the year after, we cannot go more than £26M into debt otherwise we will face more FFP charges and get an embargo (see Bolton)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024