Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? 22:41 - Oct 4 with 11055 viewsTonyHongKong

In Jan, where do we need to improve most?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: In Jan, where do we need to improve most?

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:39 - Oct 5 with 1719 viewsTacticalR

Can we afford goals any more? Or are they just too expensive?

Air hostess clique

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:40 - Oct 5 with 1717 viewsdaveB

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:30 - Oct 5 by Watford_Ranger

I'd be surprised if we hold on to all the three amigos in midfield and Smithies, who again is looking better than plenty of Prem keepers IMO. I'd have thought Luongo's stock is far higher outside the club than inside.

I don't expect that we'd reinvest it into the first team given the financial situation you've outlined, but sadly don't think we are in a position to turn down serious money for players we've paid little for.

Luongo or Smithies being sold for a profit will be the clear sign that we are doing things right again, two players we have signed for decent money but have improved at QPR, done well for the club and then moved on for a profit

You can be sure though the day that happens fans will have a shitstorm and slaughter the club
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:41 - Oct 5 with 1716 viewsPunteR

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 09:35 - Oct 5 by Northernr

Ok, once more, for the people at the back.

The wealth in the boardroom is completely irrelevant because of the FFP rules. We could have the five richest kings of Europe in there, would make no difference.

We've breached the rules once and we await punishment for that.

The new rules only allow you to lose £39m over three seasons. In season one back at this level (Chris Ramsey season) we lost £11m - that despite having the largest parachute payment (£24m), the money from Charlie Austin (£4m) and the money from Raheem Sterling (£10m).

That means across season two (JFH manager) and season three (Holloway manager) we can only lose another £28m. We have no Charlie Austin money in those two seasons. We have no Raheem Sterling money in those two seasons. The parachute payment in season two dropped to £19.3m and in season three it's only £9.6m.

We are still carrying the biggest squad in the league. We are still carrying earners like Caulker, Onuoha, Robinson etc.

The club costs £9m to run before a wage is paid (maintenance of Loftus Road, policing, drainage, rent of two training grounds, rent of the dome at Cranford) and the season ticket revenue is £5.6m so we're £3.4m down each season before we've paid a single wage to anybody.

Breach FFP (again) and it will be a complete transfer embargo until the squad has been gutted to such an extent that it does qualify - you may remember Blackburn went from having a team with Rudy Gestede, Jordan Rhodes and Tom Cairney in it to one getting relegated to League One with Danny Graham up front. That's what it will look like here. Look at Bolton. Even the dregs of talent we have here now - Scowen, Luongo, Freeman - would all be gone, all of it sold off way cheaper than it's actually worth.

People need to get their heads around this double lively. It's not fcking illogical at all, it's there in black and white in the rules of the league.

Or, you know, blame Holloway, blame Ferdinand, abuse Fernandes on Twitter, demand we sign a striker in a market where one Sam Winnall will cost you £8m.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Is the ffp law legit though? I thought this was part of the delay in our fine and going to court.
When i say legit i mean an actual law rather then some made up one by the FA.
This question is for anyone as i can see Northern losing his sh*t on this topic..

Whats our long term plan..? I guess the new stadium would generate a bit more income but where is the money going to come from eventually to start buying the better players to compete at a higher level.? (Yeh yeh i know, we'll just coach them into better players..)
Maybe the new Sky deal for the championship will help.
We could turn into a L1 Arsenal where finances dictate our season and just get the same league position every season. Or drop down to L1 , win promotion.. hooray.. drop down again.. boooo. And repeat. I think I'd prefer that then sitting static mid table every season. The again maybe not.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:42 - Oct 5 with 1715 viewsfrancisbowles

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:30 - Oct 5 by Watford_Ranger

I'd be surprised if we hold on to all the three amigos in midfield and Smithies, who again is looking better than plenty of Prem keepers IMO. I'd have thought Luongo's stock is far higher outside the club than inside.

I don't expect that we'd reinvest it into the first team given the financial situation you've outlined, but sadly don't think we are in a position to turn down serious money for players we've paid little for.

I think the club is making every effort to try and hang on to the ones they really want but it depends on the player. If their head is turned and they want to leave then it's probably going to happen at some stage, so the club will cash in. I believe this is what happened with Bowler.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:46 - Oct 5 with 1699 viewsNorthernr

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:41 - Oct 5 by PunteR

Is the ffp law legit though? I thought this was part of the delay in our fine and going to court.
When i say legit i mean an actual law rather then some made up one by the FA.
This question is for anyone as i can see Northern losing his sh*t on this topic..

Whats our long term plan..? I guess the new stadium would generate a bit more income but where is the money going to come from eventually to start buying the better players to compete at a higher level.? (Yeh yeh i know, we'll just coach them into better players..)
Maybe the new Sky deal for the championship will help.
We could turn into a L1 Arsenal where finances dictate our season and just get the same league position every season. Or drop down to L1 , win promotion.. hooray.. drop down again.. boooo. And repeat. I think I'd prefer that then sitting static mid table every season. The again maybe not.

It's a rule of the league like any other, voted in, can't just be ignored.

The plan long term is to get a new stadium. Short term, like you say, new Sky deal might help as it makes us less reliant on ticket income, though I think it only works out about £1m per club per season more.

Medium term the plan is to get the wage bill and squad down to a manageable size, and then try and scout and trade our way out Huddersfield stylee. which is exactly what we should have been doing from the start.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:53 - Oct 5 with 1685 viewsRoller

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:39 - Oct 5 by stevec

I don't buy into this idea that we have to break the bank to find something a bit better than Washington or Sylla.

This is what happens when you set your benchmark at League One and its foreign equivalents. We are slowly recovering (I think) from a season and a half of this approach.

The introduction of Scowen and Freeman, both proven Championship players, has made a huge difference to midfield at little cost. Baptiste, another proven at this level, can clearly do a job. Again, cost fck all.

In fact, there are a set of players who you know will always go on the pitch looking like they belong at this level - Scowen, Freeman, Baptiste, Bidwell, Onuoha, Hall, Smithies and the common denominator is they were all proven at Championship or came from a higher level.

Where the team struggles is with the up and down level of the likes of Washington, Sylla, Furlong, Pavel who I do like a lot and, I'm sorry to say Luongo. The latter has been a lot better lately but 2 fckin years? Come on. All of these players are very good on their day, but it's the other days, the days where you may as well be playing with 8 - 10 men that we suffer. This is the stuff that puts managers heads on the line, not knowing which player will turn up.

I'd stick with Pavel and Luongo, their good days are good. But Washington and Sylla, just replace them with players who have proved themselves in the Championship, they don't even need to be prolific, just come out looking like the 7 I mentioned and naturally assume they are going to boss it on the pitch, whether they have an off day or not.

"Just replace them". If you say it quickly it sounds straightforwards enough. It does, of course, rely on someone else wanting to buy them first, or waiting for their contract to run out.

This is about more than just transfer fees, apparently they all want wages as well; we can't afford to simply stockpile players anymore.

I suspect our transfers for the immediate future will be on a strictly one out one in policy, such as Henry out Scowen in. As long as we manage an upgrade in the process that is the best we can hope for.

I totally agree about LuaLua, but I'd have thought that he was signed before the deals for Wheeler and Bright were anywhere new being concluded.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:55 - Oct 5 with 1683 viewsNorthernr

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:22 - Oct 5 by daveB

That did my head in on this weeks podcast.

Calling for more players one minute then the next moaning the squad is too big. Peoples inability to grasp the situation we're in is incredible

When people talk about illogical, is it really logical for a club that's obviously short of a decent striker to not sign one, even though they can? Do we think QPR can afford a striker but just don't think they need one? Or know they need one, and can afford one, but quite like the challenge of playing without one?

I'm sure nobody would like to sign a good striker more than Holloway, Ferdinand, Hoos, Fernandes.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:56 - Oct 5 with 1676 viewsdaveB

I don't buy into this idea that we have to break the bank to find something a bit better than Washington or Sylla.

This is what happens when you set your benchmark at League One and its foreign equivalents. We are slowly recovering (I think) from a season and a half of this approach.

The introduction of Scowen and Freeman, both proven Championship players, has made a huge difference to midfield at little cost. Baptiste, another proven at this level, can clearly do a job. Again, cost fck all.

In fact, there are a set of players who you know will always go on the pitch looking like they belong at this level - Scowen, Freeman, Baptiste, Bidwell, Onuoha, Hall, Smithies and the common denominator is they were all proven at Championship or came from a higher level.

Where the team struggles is with the up and down level of the likes of Washington, Sylla, Furlong, Pavel who I do like a lot and, I'm sorry to say Luongo. The latter has been a lot better lately but 2 fckin years? Come on. All of these players are very good on their day, but it's the other days, the days where you may as well be playing with 8 - 10 men that we suffer. This is the stuff that puts managers heads on the line, not knowing which player will turn up.

I'd stick with Pavel and Luongo, their good days are good. But Washington and Sylla, just replace them with players who have proved themselves in the Championship, they don't even need to be prolific, just come out looking like the 7 I mentioned and naturally assume they are going to boss it on the pitch, whether they have an off day or not.

Sorry but if you want a Championship striker who scored 10 goals last season the starting price is around 6 million at the moment, if they are young and British you can double that price before you even talk about wages.

That policy you want us to go away from of signing players from lower leagues, that is where Scowen, Luongo and Freeman were all playing months before we signed them, that policy of buying raw and potentially good players is a good one
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 10:58]
Login to get fewer ads

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:57 - Oct 5 with 1673 viewsNorthernr

Let's have this list of proven Championship strikers available for the sort of money we'd get for Washington and Sylla then, if it's that easy?
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:09 - Oct 5 with 1648 viewsTacticalR

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:40 - Oct 5 by daveB

Luongo or Smithies being sold for a profit will be the clear sign that we are doing things right again, two players we have signed for decent money but have improved at QPR, done well for the club and then moved on for a profit

You can be sure though the day that happens fans will have a shitstorm and slaughter the club

We still need to be intelligent about sales.

I thought at the beginning of the season there were two things that could get us relegated: selling Smithies and relying on Washington for goals.

Air hostess clique

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:24 - Oct 5 with 1630 viewsstevec

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 10:57 - Oct 5 by Northernr

Let's have this list of proven Championship strikers available for the sort of money we'd get for Washington and Sylla then, if it's that easy?

Not saying it's easy but 16th in the League with the midfield we have suggests something needs to be done.

There are players like Baldock, the type we'd turn our noses up at, but did he cost a lot last season. Murphy at Forest, again some on here would say no thanks, but £2m and a goalscoring record at this level? Noel Clarke, another not fancied here in balmier times, never going to replace Helguson but then it's not Helguson he'd be replacing these days, is it?

There must be forwards at the likes of Preston or various middle ranking Championship clubs, no prolific scoring record but look comfortable at this level.

The real worry is we keep thinking small. How we've blindly accepted the plunge from Premier League to fighting Brentford over who's biggest is pretty sad.

It's the supporters job to expect more than it's club can give, take that away and we're fcked.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:32 - Oct 5 with 1624 viewsLunarJetman

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:24 - Oct 5 by stevec

Not saying it's easy but 16th in the League with the midfield we have suggests something needs to be done.

There are players like Baldock, the type we'd turn our noses up at, but did he cost a lot last season. Murphy at Forest, again some on here would say no thanks, but £2m and a goalscoring record at this level? Noel Clarke, another not fancied here in balmier times, never going to replace Helguson but then it's not Helguson he'd be replacing these days, is it?

There must be forwards at the likes of Preston or various middle ranking Championship clubs, no prolific scoring record but look comfortable at this level.

The real worry is we keep thinking small. How we've blindly accepted the plunge from Premier League to fighting Brentford over who's biggest is pretty sad.

It's the supporters job to expect more than it's club can give, take that away and we're fcked.

Yeah but what if the supporters are repeatedly being completely thick and stupid??
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:46 - Oct 5 with 1601 viewsNorthernr

That's absolutely not the supporters job, what planet are you on? It's the supporters job to always expect more than the club can possibly deliver? You've come out with some stuff on here but that's right up there.

£2m for Daryl Murphy, who's 35, and has scored as many goals in two and a half seasons as Sylla got in 22 starts last year - and you reckon Sylla is sht. £2m is also more than we can afford. Murphy also originally came to the English league from Waterford, in the Irish league, so wouldn't have fit you 'must be a proven Championship player' criteria had we tried to sign him when he was actually at an age worth signing and price we could afford to pay.

Baldock, got 12 goals in the best team in the league last season, again the same as Sylla got who you reckon is sht. Baldock originally moved from League One MK Dons to West Ham, so again he wouldn't have fitted your "must be a proven Championship player" to start with.

Forwards at Preston? Hugill is Preston's striker. Reading bid £8m for in the summer and got knocked back. That's the market we're in for strikers at the moment, a market you point blankly refuse to acknowledge because it doesn't fit your point. Hugill, incidentally, also only scored 12 league goals last season, which again is the same as Sylla, and again you think he's sht. Hugill also started 13 more matches. Hugill also came to Preston from League One Port Vale, which you say is a no no because he won't be able to cut it in the Championship.

Noel Clarke? I literally have no idea who you're on about. The actor in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet?

The real worry is supporters point blankly refusing to accept the black and white facts staring them straight in the face, hammering the club and its players for things that cannot be changed.

It is beyond thick to think that QPR can afford a decent striker but aren't buying one through choice.

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:48 - Oct 5 with 1592 viewsJeff

you do realise that we're actually a step down from Preston, right?

Can we not knock it?

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:59 - Oct 5 with 1575 viewsdaveB

part of the problem is several fans think we came down from the prem and just made a decision that we don't want to compete anymore and are going to do it a different way. A project by Ferdinand that didn't need to be done signing lower league players for a laugh instead of signing proven players which completely ignores the fact we'd been signing proven players for a few years who cost a fortune and got us in this mess to start with

The reality is we have two cracks at the big time, 3 seasons of tv money and we absolutely blew it coming down have spent half a billion with nothing to show for it. No infrastructure, no training ground and the when we came down the only player worth anything in the last year of his contract so sold for less than he's worth

So now at a point where we are skint the club is trying to put together some sort of football infrastructure to the club with scouts, a youth set up worth the name and doing all that without a pot to piss in. of course this should have all been done 10 years ago when Flavio and the billionaires arrived but they were more keen on building themselves a boutique bar and some slippers.

yet who gets the blame, the poor sods trying to fix this mess.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 12:20 - Oct 5 with 1538 viewslave16

We need to improve on the big green area in the middle of the stadium...

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 12:27 - Oct 5 with 1514 viewsdanehoop

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 12:20 - Oct 5 by lave16

I thought we might also get some conifers in pots outside to make the stadium look more homely and welcoming.

Never knowingly understood

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 12:30 - Oct 5 with 1509 viewspeejaybee

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 12:20 - Oct 5 by lave16

The big green area in the middle is OK @ the moment it is those that play on it that need improvement.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 12:59 - Oct 5 with 1472 viewskensalriser

Noel Clarke is Leon Clarke turned around.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 13:06 - Oct 5 with 1466 viewsA40Bosh

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 11:46 - Oct 5 by Northernr

That's absolutely not the supporters job, what planet are you on? It's the supporters job to always expect more than the club can possibly deliver? You've come out with some stuff on here but that's right up there.

£2m for Daryl Murphy, who's 35, and has scored as many goals in two and a half seasons as Sylla got in 22 starts last year - and you reckon Sylla is sht. £2m is also more than we can afford. Murphy also originally came to the English league from Waterford, in the Irish league, so wouldn't have fit you 'must be a proven Championship player' criteria had we tried to sign him when he was actually at an age worth signing and price we could afford to pay.

Baldock, got 12 goals in the best team in the league last season, again the same as Sylla got who you reckon is sht. Baldock originally moved from League One MK Dons to West Ham, so again he wouldn't have fitted your "must be a proven Championship player" to start with.

Forwards at Preston? Hugill is Preston's striker. Reading bid £8m for in the summer and got knocked back. That's the market we're in for strikers at the moment, a market you point blankly refuse to acknowledge because it doesn't fit your point. Hugill, incidentally, also only scored 12 league goals last season, which again is the same as Sylla, and again you think he's sht. Hugill also started 13 more matches. Hugill also came to Preston from League One Port Vale, which you say is a no no because he won't be able to cut it in the Championship.

Noel Clarke? I literally have no idea who you're on about. The actor in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet?

The real worry is supporters point blankly refusing to accept the black and white facts staring them straight in the face, hammering the club and its players for things that cannot be changed.

It is beyond thick to think that QPR can afford a decent striker but aren't buying one through choice.

Someone I know was talking to Birch recently and he pretty much agreed that the management team still want a guaranteed out and out, day in, day out, 20 goals a season striker, because it is clear ours are not doing that job. However, he sas in the same way as the more sensible posts on this thread point out, anyone who is not a "gamble" or "one for the future" is being snapped up by those clubs with money for stupid amounts that we simply cannot find the money to be in the race. The one decent prospect we were in with a shout of, a previous manager told our management team " attitude problems with that boy", so we apparently quickly backed away.

We've managed to put together a cracking central midfield engine room which has helped Mass step up. If Ned, Grant Hall, Lynch, Baptiste, Robinson, Bidwell, Perch and Furs Jr can all stay fit, then we have enough options based on where we are financially, because you would have to probably have to get rid of Ned and Hall as a minimum to get in one proven replacement CB - and the decents ones are not going anywhere in January - unless of course you offer silly money and we have no money so that's that one stuffed.

The squad does need triimming down, its almost as though Ollie having too many pegs to put in to the holes each week (I'm talking about supposed wide players who wont stay wide and supposed strikers who dont score) means you never actually give some of the pegs enough game time to allow them to prove whether they are a round peg in a round hole or not.

Clear a few of them out, if for no other reason Ollie will have to try and pick the fit ones regularly and coach them until they can do what he needs them to do every week.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 13:08 - Oct 5 with 1460 viewsrsonist

Pretty simple - we need to improve within the constraints Norf describes upthread and cut our cloth better still. Not saying there hasn't been progress but we can't really be playing the pauper when a lot of the squad bloat is of our/Ollie's own recent making, whether it's down to indecision, incoherence or paranoia about injuries. Several clubs at our level would bite our hand off for our "restrictions".

I'm referring to stuff such as

- Signing Goss, mucking him around, then keeping Borysiuk to not play him again
- Sidelining Shodipo (for being raw and not tracking back...) then twice loaning LuaLua and adding two young wingers in Bright and Smyth
- While still holding onto Yeni and adding Wheeler in the meantime
- Potentially valuable assets like Manning and Sylla being allowed to depreciate - too many options means bad form leading to spells in the wilderness, flavour-of-the-monthism, and not finding solutions to improve players

Which isn't psychic hindsight hotline stuff - it was messy at the time. (Somehow finding no legal recourse to Caulker repeatedly breaching conduct and presumably contract is baffling too but that's another can of worms).

Just better clarity of strategy all round is what's required. That ought to include Ollie putting in some hard hours on shape, pattern and transition so we don't look like a bunch of U12s in the playground every time we get exposed on the counter - so tired of us not controlling games.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 13:15 - Oct 5 with 1450 viewsLongsufferingR

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 12:59 - Oct 5 by kensalriser

Noel Clarke is Leon Clarke turned around.

No he isn't. That's Noel Ekralc you're thinking of.

He's sht an all.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 17:42 - Oct 5 with 1336 viewsBushRanger82

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 09:35 - Oct 5 by Northernr

Ok, once more, for the people at the back.

The wealth in the boardroom is completely irrelevant because of the FFP rules. We could have the five richest kings of Europe in there, would make no difference.

We've breached the rules once and we await punishment for that.

The new rules only allow you to lose £39m over three seasons. In season one back at this level (Chris Ramsey season) we lost £11m - that despite having the largest parachute payment (£24m), the money from Charlie Austin (£4m) and the money from Raheem Sterling (£10m).

That means across season two (JFH manager) and season three (Holloway manager) we can only lose another £28m. We have no Charlie Austin money in those two seasons. We have no Raheem Sterling money in those two seasons. The parachute payment in season two dropped to £19.3m and in season three it's only £9.6m.

We are still carrying the biggest squad in the league. We are still carrying earners like Caulker, Onuoha, Robinson etc.

The club costs £9m to run before a wage is paid (maintenance of Loftus Road, policing, drainage, rent of two training grounds, rent of the dome at Cranford) and the season ticket revenue is £5.6m so we're £3.4m down each season before we've paid a single wage to anybody.

Breach FFP (again) and it will be a complete transfer embargo until the squad has been gutted to such an extent that it does qualify - you may remember Blackburn went from having a team with Rudy Gestede, Jordan Rhodes and Tom Cairney in it to one getting relegated to League One with Danny Graham up front. That's what it will look like here. Look at Bolton. Even the dregs of talent we have here now - Scowen, Luongo, Freeman - would all be gone, all of it sold off way cheaper than it's actually worth.

People need to get their heads around this double lively. It's not fcking illogical at all, it's there in black and white in the rules of the league.

Or, you know, blame Holloway, blame Ferdinand, abuse Fernandes on Twitter, demand we sign a striker in a market where one Sam Winnall will cost you £8m.

Sorry, still don't get it.
New rules, or no new rules.
Simply tells me, that even if we return to the hell that is the premier league, the only fookers we'd be allowed to compete with financially, would be fooking Burnley, thereby ensuring yet another torturous short stint watching us make up the numbers and.....Well, that's it really.

Smacks of stitch-up, to me.
In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 17:48 - Oct 5 with 1324 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Change our name to DUP and we’ll back spunking it up good time.

Not to late to pip PSG for Mbappe, and we do need a striker!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 18:33 - Oct 5 with 1306 viewsPinnerPaul

In Jan, where do we need to improve most? on 08:50 - Oct 5 by BushRanger82

Perhaps, if we didn't have so many multi-millionaires and one, perhaps even two, billionaires knocking around the boardroom, people would understand the current situation more, but I doubt it.
Seems very illogical to me, that despite having such accumulated wealth in our boardroom, we seem to be no better off for it than a club like Brentford, who really can in all honesty claim they haven't a pot to piss in.

I think the 'Millionaires and billionaires' probably feel they have lost enough money already don't you think.

The fact the Mittals could spend a shed load of money without affecting their own lifestyles is not a very good argument - apart from anything else they were actually richer when they first took over and haven't shown any inclination since day one to own the club lock stock and barrel.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024