Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who has say over players ? 22:05 - Oct 9 with 2426 viewsconnell10

Now im not having a go here but its a genuine question. Who has the say over how long the players can play before they are subbed, is it the coach or the medical team? Any ideas. By the way great result tonight the lads did us proud! U RSSSSSS!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

0
Who has say over players ? on 22:09 - Oct 9 with 1818 viewsLogman

It's been the medical team for a number of years now.
4
Who has say over players ? on 22:11 - Oct 9 with 1801 viewsMatch82

Who has say over players ? on 22:09 - Oct 9 by Logman

It's been the medical team for a number of years now.


Yeah I think they've been pretty clear on that. As frustrating as it is on days like today where it probably cost us points, the alternative is Mick Beale's "run them into the ground because this is a stepping stone and I won't be here in 9 months" approach
6
Who has say over players ? on 22:25 - Oct 9 with 1672 viewsconnell10

Who has say over players ? on 22:09 - Oct 9 by Logman

It's been the medical team for a number of years now.


Ok thanks , so Kemper was definitely the medical team call not the coach.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

0
Who has say over players ? on 22:31 - Oct 9 with 1623 viewsLogman

I'd have thought so, yes. First game back for 2 months - plus prob need him fresh on Wednesday.
3
Who has say over players ? on 22:33 - Oct 9 with 1615 viewsconnell10

Who has say over players ? on 22:31 - Oct 9 by Logman

I'd have thought so, yes. First game back for 2 months - plus prob need him fresh on Wednesday.


Fair enough

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

0
Who has say over players ? on 22:43 - Oct 9 with 1529 viewsnumptydumpty

Kemper was always coming off at that time Connell.Understood that one.

Hindsight but i would have put Adamson left back where he has done well and put Mbengue on for Kemper with Mbengue at right back.

Lamptey coming back from injury, more of a wing back anyhow than a full back and injury prone, against effectively the best player in the league was daft. But he had also taken off Smyth previously and put Vale on, who was cleaned out earlier in the move but didnt get back at all to give Lamptey any support either. Smyth helps a lot more in defence than Vale also.

Was taking a chance with wide players of Lamptey and Vale v Bowen anyhow.

I wouldnt have taken Smyth off for me. Was having a very decent game.

If aint broke, dont fix it.
[Post edited 9 Oct 22:46]

"Walking in a Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Whats going to happen to Man City ????

1
Who has say over players ? on 23:09 - Oct 9 with 1420 viewsMatch82

Who has say over players ? on 22:31 - Oct 9 by Logman

I'd have thought so, yes. First game back for 2 months - plus prob need him fresh on Wednesday.


Certainly do now!
0
Who has say over players ? on 23:11 - Oct 9 with 1398 viewsPaddyhoops

The subs changed the game. Kemper had Bowen in his pocket and we lost our out ball to Smyth when he went off .
Red lights flashing on their bras means their game is up , I presume .
I’m not the manager but I’m sure these sports sceintists don’t factor in Adrenaline.
3
Login to get fewer ads

Who has say over players ? on 23:16 - Oct 9 with 1353 viewsnumptydumpty

Would agree though, Kemper didnt look like he was running out of steam either and we replace him with another player coming back from injury, who promptly got injured. Its not Stephans decision. Overruled perhaps. Most players who start, should be able to do 90 minutes though as against 70 minutes, without aggravating an injury.

Ever since we have had these sports scientists managing players minutes to protect all our boys from injuries, we have had the worst run of injuries I have ever known in our history. And some subs have disrupted our rythym as a result. Seems to be a minimum of two injuries every game. Some in the warm ups, some in the youth games.

Great though we have these sports specialists. Am pretty cynical about this as seems a bit of a conmans game from all I have seen.
[Post edited 9 Oct 23:26]

"Walking in a Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Whats going to happen to Man City ????

3
Who has say over players ? on 23:52 - Oct 9 with 1274 viewsJamesB1979

Was anyone else injured today other than Lamptey? I thought Adamson was cramp but could be wrong. Difficult to see much in 2nd half down that end
0
Who has say over players ? on 23:58 - Oct 9 with 1254 viewsMyke

The irony for me is that we take Kemper off (he is way ahead of Cirkin imo) for medical reasons, but then are forced to leave his replacement - Lamptey - on, no doubt aggravating whatever injury he has picked up . Kemper stays on we win the game, simple as that.
2
Who has say over players ? on 00:35 - Oct 10 with 1180 viewsozexile

Who has say over players ? on 23:58 - Oct 9 by Myke

The irony for me is that we take Kemper off (he is way ahead of Cirkin imo) for medical reasons, but then are forced to leave his replacement - Lamptey - on, no doubt aggravating whatever injury he has picked up . Kemper stays on we win the game, simple as that.


You could tell Stephan's frustration in the post game interview. It is getting ridiculous now. We're scuppering our chances in most games now with sports science decisions.
5
Who has say over players ? on 08:31 - Oct 10 with 849 viewsThe_Beast1976

Who has say over players ? on 00:35 - Oct 10 by ozexile

You could tell Stephan's frustration in the post game interview. It is getting ridiculous now. We're scuppering our chances in most games now with sports science decisions.


As someone said above, this sports science stuff and managing workloads is all a con. It's costing us points. A player is either fit to play, or they're not. Simple as that. Dump all this 'managing workloads' stuff immediately. Subs should only be made to deal with an injury, or for tactical reasons.

Still, a brilliant effort and point.
[Post edited 10 Oct 8:39]
0
Who has say over players ? on 08:36 - Oct 10 with 837 viewsgazza1

Who has say over players ? on 22:31 - Oct 9 by Logman

I'd have thought so, yes. First game back for 2 months - plus prob need him fresh on Wednesday.


Lets just play one game at a time, Derby game should not be a consideration. WTF do they know anyways - Lamptey injured a few minutes after replacing Boy!!! If Boy looked tired, etc, etc then replace him but he looked pretty fit and comfortable to me. Poor decision.
[Post edited 10 Oct 8:36]
5
Who has say over players ? on 09:05 - Oct 10 with 757 viewsMyke

Who has say over players ? on 22:31 - Oct 9 by Logman

I'd have thought so, yes. First game back for 2 months - plus prob need him fresh on Wednesday.


If he was running out of gas, fair enough, but there was no evidence of that. And we have Cirkin available on Wednesday after suspension, so no need to play Kemper at all against Derby. Mbengue comes on for Adamson, Lampty replaces Poku to give a Charles a quick out ball down the right. This means he is not stretching for a ball on his wrong side and likely doesn’t get inured. All hindsight I know, But Shankly/Paisley et al built there success on a ‘one game at a time’ mindset and they were playing just as many games as today with a much smaller squad. Yes the game has moved on and there are times when it is clear and obvious when a play nears to be taken off and protected. But there are times too, when you need to use your gut instinct and last night was one of those times imo.
I wouldn’t mind if all this carefully managed ‘game time’ was working and we had the majority if not all of our players fit and available all the time, but our injury list is as bad as last year and we are missing key players, which has cost us several points.
Obviously before hand if someone offered me a point at West Ham I would have bitten their hand off etc etc, but that was not how it played out. We were magnificent and would have won the game if we had tinkerd with the defence. Let’s hope we can reproduce the performance against Derby, if we do that, we will win comfortably
0
Who has say over players ? on 09:10 - Oct 10 with 740 viewsgazza1

Who has say over players ? on 09:05 - Oct 10 by Myke

If he was running out of gas, fair enough, but there was no evidence of that. And we have Cirkin available on Wednesday after suspension, so no need to play Kemper at all against Derby. Mbengue comes on for Adamson, Lampty replaces Poku to give a Charles a quick out ball down the right. This means he is not stretching for a ball on his wrong side and likely doesn’t get inured. All hindsight I know, But Shankly/Paisley et al built there success on a ‘one game at a time’ mindset and they were playing just as many games as today with a much smaller squad. Yes the game has moved on and there are times when it is clear and obvious when a play nears to be taken off and protected. But there are times too, when you need to use your gut instinct and last night was one of those times imo.
I wouldn’t mind if all this carefully managed ‘game time’ was working and we had the majority if not all of our players fit and available all the time, but our injury list is as bad as last year and we are missing key players, which has cost us several points.
Obviously before hand if someone offered me a point at West Ham I would have bitten their hand off etc etc, but that was not how it played out. We were magnificent and would have won the game if we had tinkerd with the defence. Let’s hope we can reproduce the performance against Derby, if we do that, we will win comfortably


Agreed wholeheartedly.

The 'big question'......would we have walked away with 3 points if Boy & Smyth were not replaced?? Who knows but I certainly think that we would of had a much better chance to get all 3.
0
Who has say over players ? on 09:18 - Oct 10 with 720 viewsconnell10

Who has say over players ? on 09:05 - Oct 10 by Myke

If he was running out of gas, fair enough, but there was no evidence of that. And we have Cirkin available on Wednesday after suspension, so no need to play Kemper at all against Derby. Mbengue comes on for Adamson, Lampty replaces Poku to give a Charles a quick out ball down the right. This means he is not stretching for a ball on his wrong side and likely doesn’t get inured. All hindsight I know, But Shankly/Paisley et al built there success on a ‘one game at a time’ mindset and they were playing just as many games as today with a much smaller squad. Yes the game has moved on and there are times when it is clear and obvious when a play nears to be taken off and protected. But there are times too, when you need to use your gut instinct and last night was one of those times imo.
I wouldn’t mind if all this carefully managed ‘game time’ was working and we had the majority if not all of our players fit and available all the time, but our injury list is as bad as last year and we are missing key players, which has cost us several points.
Obviously before hand if someone offered me a point at West Ham I would have bitten their hand off etc etc, but that was not how it played out. We were magnificent and would have won the game if we had tinkerd with the defence. Let’s hope we can reproduce the performance against Derby, if we do that, we will win comfortably


Cirkin got a 3 match ban mate.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

2
Who has say over players ? on 09:19 - Oct 10 with 718 viewsstevec

I wonder if JS has a reciprocal arrangement with the medical team and steps in to do a bit of hamstring surgery here and there.

Of all the substitutions in all the world that Kemper one will stick with me forever.
0
Who has say over players ? on 09:49 - Oct 10 with 646 viewsdmm

The GPS vests players wear give performance readings in real time which help managers make informed decisions on substitutions.

Although it turned out that our subs last night did weaken the team, if he hadn't made them Stephan would have been criticised for not doing so.
2
Who has say over players ? on 09:54 - Oct 10 with 614 viewsQPROslo

Who has say over players ? on 09:05 - Oct 10 by Myke

If he was running out of gas, fair enough, but there was no evidence of that. And we have Cirkin available on Wednesday after suspension, so no need to play Kemper at all against Derby. Mbengue comes on for Adamson, Lampty replaces Poku to give a Charles a quick out ball down the right. This means he is not stretching for a ball on his wrong side and likely doesn’t get inured. All hindsight I know, But Shankly/Paisley et al built there success on a ‘one game at a time’ mindset and they were playing just as many games as today with a much smaller squad. Yes the game has moved on and there are times when it is clear and obvious when a play nears to be taken off and protected. But there are times too, when you need to use your gut instinct and last night was one of those times imo.
I wouldn’t mind if all this carefully managed ‘game time’ was working and we had the majority if not all of our players fit and available all the time, but our injury list is as bad as last year and we are missing key players, which has cost us several points.
Obviously before hand if someone offered me a point at West Ham I would have bitten their hand off etc etc, but that was not how it played out. We were magnificent and would have won the game if we had tinkerd with the defence. Let’s hope we can reproduce the performance against Derby, if we do that, we will win comfortably


Don't agree in general, it's a 3 game week and Kemper has been out 2 months, but specifically Cirkin got a 3 match ban as I recall so won't be available for Wednesday or Saturday.
1
Who has say over players ? on 10:05 - Oct 10 with 569 viewsMyke

Who has say over players ? on 09:18 - Oct 10 by connell10

Cirkin got a 3 match ban mate.


Oh, fair enough, thought it was just one
1
Who has say over players ? on 10:07 - Oct 10 with 549 viewsClint_Power

Who has say over players ? on 09:49 - Oct 10 by dmm

The GPS vests players wear give performance readings in real time which help managers make informed decisions on substitutions.

Although it turned out that our subs last night did weaken the team, if he hadn't made them Stephan would have been criticised for not doing so.


Agree, as frustrating as it is, we could easily have been sitting here moaning about Kemper picking up an injury if he'd played 90 in his first game back for two months when Lamptey was sitting on the bench.
2
Who has say over players ? on 10:12 - Oct 10 with 535 viewsSuperhoops2808

Don't follow Spurs that much tbh, but if you read some of the interviews with De Zerbi, he has stated how frustrated he is with being guided by the medical team as to how long someone can play in a match

It is happening everywhere and in every club. In fact it happens in all sports, cricket etc
0
Who has say over players ? on 10:48 - Oct 10 with 464 viewsJamesB1979

Kemper hadn’t played a game since 1st game of season, 2 months ago. He was up against best winger in the league. Perfectly reasonable for him to not play the full 90. Both Madsen and Kamara are playing full games now after easing them back in. We can’t moan about people being risked and overplayed, then also criticise when we’re more cautious.

Lamptey injury - special case. we knew risk when he was signed.

On the cramping up - the lads put in a hell of a shift, so not surprising that couple (especially Adamson) were feeling the effects.
4
Who has say over players ? on 11:11 - Oct 10 with 419 viewsconnell10

Who has say over players ? on 10:48 - Oct 10 by JamesB1979

Kemper hadn’t played a game since 1st game of season, 2 months ago. He was up against best winger in the league. Perfectly reasonable for him to not play the full 90. Both Madsen and Kamara are playing full games now after easing them back in. We can’t moan about people being risked and overplayed, then also criticise when we’re more cautious.

Lamptey injury - special case. we knew risk when he was signed.

On the cramping up - the lads put in a hell of a shift, so not surprising that couple (especially Adamson) were feeling the effects.


Its also a big pitch at Spam.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026