Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? 17:36 - Jul 2 with 8098 viewsJokeren1943

With players like Shelvey, Michu, Pozuelo and Guzman that all are very aggressive and play on the central midfield, do we need another aggressive midfielder (Gylfi) or could we use the money (8-10 million) better in another position (or keep them)? :).

[Post edited 2 Jul 2014 17:49]
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 11:47 - Jul 3 with 1939 viewsJackofdreambeach

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 11:34 - Jul 3 by Brynmill_Jack

He had a great impact when he was here and he suited us at the time but our style of play has moved on from then. That's all.

Gylfi Sigurddson would be the man that could really ignite this Monk side.

Gifted technically , a sound character and a real presence in terms of goals and assists.

Loved by Swans and Spurs fans. What's to debate ?

So much doubt around the likes of De Guz,Michu and many other strong players .
So if the talismanic Icelander was available to us I'd like to see us act positively and swiftly to cement his return to Liberty
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 11:57 - Jul 3 with 1905 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 11:47 - Jul 3 by Jackofdreambeach

Gylfi Sigurddson would be the man that could really ignite this Monk side.

Gifted technically , a sound character and a real presence in terms of goals and assists.

Loved by Swans and Spurs fans. What's to debate ?

So much doubt around the likes of De Guz,Michu and many other strong players .
So if the talismanic Icelander was available to us I'd like to see us act positively and swiftly to cement his return to Liberty

Ok then but I still say we could do better and have the cash to improve on his standard of player too.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:05 - Jul 3 with 1897 viewsraynor94

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 11:57 - Jul 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Ok then but I still say we could do better and have the cash to improve on his standard of player too.

I think gylfi is a perfect fit, who are you thinking about bryn that would be an improvement on him?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:12 - Jul 3 with 1884 viewsjruss1

Personally, I don’t know why this is even a discussion. I would happily swap Gylfi for Ben, or pay 10 million if that’s what it will take.

Gylfi has been badly mis-used at Spurs. He either didn’t start, or played from a wide position. That is criminal with his ability. No different to us playing Michu as a winger to use one example.

He was spectacular in his short spell 3 years ago, playing behind the forward. A number of games, Wigan away, WBA away, Fulham away, he was the difference between winning and losing. We haven’t changed our approach all that much, we know he’s a perfect fit and will settle in straight away. In fact we have better players with him in midfield (Shelvey, possibly De Guz) and better strikers, Bony/Gomis compared to Danny Graham, then we did back then. Plus a number of players who’ve grown with the Premier League experience — Leon, Routs etc

It’s absolute no brainer to sign him.
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:16 - Jul 3 with 1875 viewsJackSomething

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:07 - Jul 3 by ScoobyWho

He kept us in the premier league, nothing too shout about mind.

Just to add to this a little. I rate Gylfi highly and remember how good he was for us. If Garry wants him back and we can get him for a good price, then I'm all for it.

Having said that, we were 12th in the league when he joined us and 11th when he left, so 'kept us in the Premier League' is a bit of an exaggeration.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:34 - Jul 3 with 1833 viewsJackofdreambeach

Whilst we are talking about possible ins rather than transfers out.
This full back Alonso (loan at Sunderland)would be a real statement and another
excellent potential Swan
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:41 - Jul 3 with 1819 viewsJackofdreambeach

In fairness, all the rumoured midfield targets look class . As chairman Huw says we have a strong calibre of player looking to work here now,
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 14:21 - Jul 3 with 1741 viewsItchySphincter

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:06 - Jul 3 by ScoobyWho

So JDG is a swans player ?
Pozeuelo played since Feb ?
And Gyfli isn't as good as Pozeuelo ?

The only bolo ks I read is your reply.

Actually I was referring to the bit about Gylfi being far better than JDG. My mistake was using the word 'most' which I apologise for. I rate Gylfi highly but do I think he's better than JDG? No. Therefore, it's boIIocks.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 17:12 - Jul 3 with 1694 viewsScoobyWho

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 14:21 - Jul 3 by ItchySphincter

Actually I was referring to the bit about Gylfi being far better than JDG. My mistake was using the word 'most' which I apologise for. I rate Gylfi highly but do I think he's better than JDG? No. Therefore, it's boIIocks.

I see, well thats cleared that up then.
Bollo ks it is then.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 23:33 - Jul 3 with 1613 viewsAngelRangelQS

Gylfi over JDG all day for me. I wouldn't even have to give it a second thought.
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 23:41 - Jul 3 with 1597 viewsjackforever

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 23:33 - Jul 3 by AngelRangelQS

Gylfi over JDG all day for me. I wouldn't even have to give it a second thought.

I think most would agree. But thats no reflection on jdg who offers far more than many ever give him credit for but gylfi imo offers that bit more quality in a more consistent basis.
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 23:49 - Jul 3 with 1590 viewsAngelRangelQS

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 23:41 - Jul 3 by jackforever

I think most would agree. But thats no reflection on jdg who offers far more than many ever give him credit for but gylfi imo offers that bit more quality in a more consistent basis.

Agreed and having JDG on loan for two seasons over signing gylfi when Laudrup came in (assuming we even had a chance) was the correct move too
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 03:26 - Jul 4 with 1544 viewsStarsky

GS was a great player for us at the time. However, I thought that eventually his lust for goal scoring left Danny Graham increasingly isolated. I'm sure I remember him getting lambasted by the likes of Britton & Williams too for work rate.
I'd have him back though.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2014 3:27]

It's just the internet, init.

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 08:59 - Jul 4 with 1488 viewsJackSomething

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 23:33 - Jul 3 by AngelRangelQS

They don't do the same job though. Put Gylfi in JDG's position and it would be a disaster in all likelihood. I don't think JDG would do a great job behind the striker either in all fairness.

If we had to choose to sign only one of them now, with the squad as it is, it would be JDG all day for me.

If we signed Gylfi and Michu stays, we have those two and Pablo all competing for the same position in the team. If Gylfi signs, then I fully expect one of the other two (almost certainly Michu) to leave.

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:38 - Jul 4 with 1431 viewsScoobyWho

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:23 - Jul 3 by Brynmill_Jack

What? All on his own?

I would say without him the swans would have been relegated, if you recall we didn't get an away win until he tore WBA apart, after that he was absolutely magnificent. You cant disagree with that.

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:46 - Jul 4 with 1294 viewsTom1912

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 08:59 - Jul 4 by JackSomething

They don't do the same job though. Put Gylfi in JDG's position and it would be a disaster in all likelihood. I don't think JDG would do a great job behind the striker either in all fairness.

If we had to choose to sign only one of them now, with the squad as it is, it would be JDG all day for me.

If we signed Gylfi and Michu stays, we have those two and Pablo all competing for the same position in the team. If Gylfi signs, then I fully expect one of the other two (almost certainly Michu) to leave.

Yep, totally.

At the moment I see the midfield as looking like this:

Leon/Ki
Shelvey/JDG
Hernandez/Michu

If Michu goes, Gylfi would be a great signing but we can't sign him until then. Combined, Michu, Gylfi and Hernandez would be costing us over £100k pw and realistically we'd only be playing 1 a week.

Equally, if Michu goes and Gylfi comes in, we should still be looking to sign JDG or an alternative.
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:56 - Jul 4 with 1274 viewsJackSomething

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:38 - Jul 4 by ScoobyWho

I would say without him the swans would have been relegated, if you recall we didn't get an away win until he tore WBA apart, after that he was absolutely magnificent. You cant disagree with that.

We best Villa away before he joined in January, that was our first away win.

Gylfi was excellent for us in that half of the season, but 'kept us up' is a huge overstatement and simplification.

We were 12th when he joined and 11th at the end of the season. We probably would have finished lower without him (although we would presumably have signed/loaned someone else who could have had a similar impact), but to suggest we would have been relegated is facile.

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 11:39 - Jul 4 with 1239 viewsLiam

Anyone think Ben-Arfa would be a better target seeing as he's out of favour at Newcastle?
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:00 - Jul 4 with 1211 viewsJokeren1943

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 11:39 - Jul 4 by Liam

Anyone think Ben-Arfa would be a better target seeing as he's out of favour at Newcastle?

Too injury prone sadly.

Never seen such a god player against our defense as Ben-Arfa (two years ago).
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:31 - Jul 4 with 1182 viewsScoobyWho

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 10:56 - Jul 4 by JackSomething

We best Villa away before he joined in January, that was our first away win.

Gylfi was excellent for us in that half of the season, but 'kept us up' is a huge overstatement and simplification.

We were 12th when he joined and 11th at the end of the season. We probably would have finished lower without him (although we would presumably have signed/loaned someone else who could have had a similar impact), but to suggest we would have been relegated is facile.

Your right, memory fades ;-) but I stand by what I said !

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:43 - Jul 4 with 1164 viewsNeath_Jack

I don't think we "need" him. Definitely not at the moment anyway, depends who leaves us and what formation we are going to be using next season.

If Wilf stays, then i believe that him and Gomis will start the majority of games where they are available, and i think one of those two, probably Gomis, will play in the number 10 position or just behind Bony at least. Should that be the case, then we will only need a bit part number 10 to be used as and when, and at the moment we have four of these, Michu, Marvin, Pablo and Poz.

So it's a big fat no from me drive.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:56 - Jul 4 with 1147 viewsJokeren1943

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:43 - Jul 4 by Neath_Jack

I don't think we "need" him. Definitely not at the moment anyway, depends who leaves us and what formation we are going to be using next season.

If Wilf stays, then i believe that him and Gomis will start the majority of games where they are available, and i think one of those two, probably Gomis, will play in the number 10 position or just behind Bony at least. Should that be the case, then we will only need a bit part number 10 to be used as and when, and at the moment we have four of these, Michu, Marvin, Pablo and Poz.

So it's a big fat no from me drive.

So you think Monk is going to play with 2 strikers in the starting line-up.

Going to be interested to see how those two are going to match.

Would make our offense much more unpredictable.
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 13:02 - Jul 4 with 1138 viewsItchySphincter

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 03:26 - Jul 4 by Starsky

GS was a great player for us at the time. However, I thought that eventually his lust for goal scoring left Danny Graham increasingly isolated. I'm sure I remember him getting lambasted by the likes of Britton & Williams too for work rate.
I'd have him back though.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2014 3:27]

That's bang on, a fact, but when I mentioned it at the time I got laughed at. DGs demise begun when Gylfi came. That is not a criticism of either player, it's just a simple fact.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 13:05 - Jul 4 with 1133 viewsAnotherJohn

Had a look at some of the Spurs forums today, and there are all kinds of rumours. It is said that the Davies and Siggi deals are being separated; that the Davies one is less problematic than the Siggi deal, that Spurs want a profit on Siggi over what they paid, and - in one or two places - that Siggi is resisting any move to Wales and this is the cause of the hold-up. These stories do not quite fit together. I doubt that we would be willing to agree to sell Davies until we know the shape of the overall deal. Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens. i will be gutted if we let Ben go for less than 12 million. I am more neutral about Siggi. He could come good, but you will see that many on the Spurs' forums do not think he deserves a regular first-term berth.
Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 13:08 - Jul 4 with 1126 viewsNeath_Jack

Gylfi - Do we really need another attacking midfielder? on 12:56 - Jul 4 by Jokeren1943

So you think Monk is going to play with 2 strikers in the starting line-up.

Going to be interested to see how those two are going to match.

Would make our offense much more unpredictable.

I do, but not as a conventional two up front. There's no way we are going to be paying two massive players like them for one to be on the bench every game, in my opinion of course.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024