Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh should be taught in all British schools 14:11 - Jul 24 with 7952 viewsyescomeon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/welsh-taught-in-british-sch

Interesting article sent to me by a friend. Some good points well made.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:20 - Jul 24 with 976 viewsNeath_Jack

For those of you that have just replied, tell me, how many "foreign" languages can you speak fluently and tell me how it has helped you to further your careers. I don't care how many people speak them, if you are not in international business, they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:23 - Jul 24 with 969 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:20 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

For those of you that have just replied, tell me, how many "foreign" languages can you speak fluently and tell me how it has helped you to further your careers. I don't care how many people speak them, if you are not in international business, they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Is learning a language just for being able to further ones career?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:25 - Jul 24 with 965 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:23 - Jul 24 by Jackfath

Well it seems to be the biggest stick that others are using against learning the language.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:27 - Jul 24 with 962 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:25 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

Well it seems to be the biggest stick that others are using against learning the language.

What's your opinion?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:27 - Jul 24 with 961 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:27 - Jul 24 by Jackfath

What's your opinion?

My opinion on what?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:28 - Jul 24 with 960 viewsThursday

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:20 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

Fluently? None. Proficiently? I wouldn't attempt to go that far. To the best of my second language abilities? One, very basic. How has it helped? I'm not comfortable with employment information. But, *has* it helped? Unequivocally. International Business? Blimey, I can't even see that high from the low rung here. Is the second language Welsh? Effing no.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:29 - Jul 24 with 958 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:25 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

Interesting this, because you and I had a debate the other night about whether schools should be responsible for teaching kids only things that would be useful for getting them jobs later in life. Yet I agree with you completely on this, I can't think of one good reason why we'd stop teaching Welsh to kids in Wales. The excuse about them not being able to use it in later life is nonsense. I have never used algebra, simultaneous linear equations and long division. Would the same people who advocate abandoning the teaching of Welsh also advocate stopping those subjects too?

Poll: Tory leader

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:29 - Jul 24 with 957 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:27 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

My opinion on what?

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:31 - Jul 24 with 952 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:29 - Jul 24 by Jackfath

Down to the individual concerned shirley? As for Welsh, we should be speaking it from the cradle in my opinion, for the very same reason that the French speak French, Italians speak Italian, and so on.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:31 - Jul 24 with 950 viewsThursday

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:29 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

Interesting this, because you and I had a debate the other night about whether schools should be responsible for teaching kids only things that would be useful for getting them jobs later in life. Yet I agree with you completely on this, I can't think of one good reason why we'd stop teaching Welsh to kids in Wales. The excuse about them not being able to use it in later life is nonsense. I have never used algebra, simultaneous linear equations and long division. Would the same people who advocate abandoning the teaching of Welsh also advocate stopping those subjects too?

I find it hard to believe that you have not used algebra etc. repeatedly in everyday life. I do believe that most people don't realize they are doing it. My good reason for limiting Welsh teaching would be to create time for more useful subjects.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:33 - Jul 24 with 946 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:29 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

And i stand by that. My argument is that we should be speaking Welsh as our first language, so we wouldn't be learning it in school, we would be learning all subjects in the Welsh medium.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:34 - Jul 24 with 945 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:31 - Jul 24 by Thursday

I find it hard to believe that you have not used algebra etc. repeatedly in everyday life. I do believe that most people don't realize they are doing it. My good reason for limiting Welsh teaching would be to create time for more useful subjects.

You may be right, I haven't used it consciously at least.

I don't consider not teaching a country's native language to that country's kids just to make room for other stuff to be a good reason.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:34 - Jul 24 with 944 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:31 - Jul 24 by Thursday

So get rid of R.E.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:34 - Jul 24 with 943 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:31 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

Down to the individual concerned shirley? As for Welsh, we should be speaking it from the cradle in my opinion, for the very same reason that the French speak French, Italians speak Italian, and so on.

Yes but what's your opinion?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:35 - Jul 24 with 941 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:33 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

And i stand by that. My argument is that we should be speaking Welsh as our first language, so we wouldn't be learning it in school, we would be learning all subjects in the Welsh medium.

Fair enough, I don't necessarily agree that all schools should teach exclusively in Welsh because that would disadvantage the majority of kids who are brought up in non-Welsh speaking families, at least initially. But Welsh should definitely be taught to Welsh kids, no arguments there.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:38 - Jul 24 with 865 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:35 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

Fair enough, I don't necessarily agree that all schools should teach exclusively in Welsh because that would disadvantage the majority of kids who are brought up in non-Welsh speaking families, at least initially. But Welsh should definitely be taught to Welsh kids, no arguments there.

Going back to our discussion the other night, when you said about RE has changed and we won't see the positive effects for a long time yet. Welsh has been phased out, it would have to be phased back in, as i believe it is now, so eventually, generations down the line, Wales would be a Welsh speaking nation. I know it will never happen, but there you go.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:39 - Jul 24 with 860 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:34 - Jul 24 by Jackfath

Yes but what's your opinion?

I'm not interested in other learning other languages. I spend my time studying other subjects, which i'm not going to share with you, no offence meant like.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:41 - Jul 24 with 855 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:38 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

Going back to our discussion the other night, when you said about RE has changed and we won't see the positive effects for a long time yet. Welsh has been phased out, it would have to be phased back in, as i believe it is now, so eventually, generations down the line, Wales would be a Welsh speaking nation. I know it will never happen, but there you go.

Yup, can't argue the point, the principle is much the same. Although in the case of teaching in Welsh, there'd need to be proper protection for the first generation who would be disadvantaged otherwise.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:41 - Jul 24 with 855 viewsThursday

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:34 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

You may be right, I haven't used it consciously at least.

I don't consider not teaching a country's native language to that country's kids just to make room for other stuff to be a good reason.

Not going to argue with that, but clarify that I wasn't talking about completely abolishing Welsh but limiting it.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:55 - Jul 24 with 842 viewsThursday

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:34 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

So get rid of R.E.

...which is exactly what I suggested also limiting in my first post on this thread. (I know you wouldn't realize that -- I don't pay much attention here -- but, I'm completely behind that suggestion.)
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:17 - Jul 24 with 826 viewstrampie

The articles headline does not describe well the content of the article.

If you read it, it tells the reader basically that the Welsh are the true indigenous peoples of Britannia, these islands belong to the Welsh, there is no such thing as British in the sense the colonialists try to portray, we are the Britons, the Welsh are the Britons the English [as some of them might tell us] are a mixture of some of the greatest races in the world, some Welsh have various names for this mixture that I can't remember now.

Is it right for colonialists to try and kill the culture and language of the native peoples ?
What if Urdu becomes the main language of Britain in a hundred years or so, would the people that say the Welsh language is useless say the same if they were one of a small minority of English speakers still left in that scenario ?

It seems to me the writer is more concerned about the culture and identity of a group of peoples from these islands and is using the example of language to try and get over a point.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:19 - Jul 24 with 825 viewsperchrockjack

Fro the cradle?speak to anyone to anyone in Fflint or connahs quay about it.thst is wales too

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh should be taught in all British schools (n/t) on 20:20 - Jul 24 with 823 viewscanhecatchit

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:38 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

[Post edited 24 Jul 2014 20:22]

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:24 - Jul 24 with 814 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:19 - Jul 24 by perchrockjack

Fro the cradle?speak to anyone to anyone in Fflint or connahs quay about it.thst is wales too

What would you like me to speak to them about?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:31 - Jul 24 with 800 viewsperchrockjack

,having it as a first language and from speaking it from cradle.huge swathes of north wales detest having to wade through welsh language matters.it really is not the mother ,tongue of most.if it's yours terrific but it should be spoken in family having been passed down the generation.me old man had a house virtually English free butt they moved to find work and welsh wasn't as important as earning a living

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024