Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? 18:37 - Jul 25 with 8830 viewsJackfath

Discuss.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:01 - Jul 25 with 678 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:57 - Jul 25 by PozuelosSideys

Boxers spit their gumshields out all the time when theyre under pressure. Ref has to break them and it buys them time. Sport is about winning, you do what you gotta do.

Unfortunately for him it didnt work. Bet the Aussies wouldnt give a f*ck if their boxer was doing that.

They'd be too busy making it front page news that multiple athletes of theirs have failed drug tests.

Where as our media is trying to spin it off as "Oh but he didn't know, he didn't mean it".

Those Jamaican sprinters were crucified for testing negative. As was that British sprinter whose name I have forgotten. Yet because they're Welsh it's apparently okay and not their fault.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:09 - Jul 25 with 670 viewsPozuelosSideys

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:01 - Jul 25 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

They'd be too busy making it front page news that multiple athletes of theirs have failed drug tests.

Where as our media is trying to spin it off as "Oh but he didn't know, he didn't mean it".

Those Jamaican sprinters were crucified for testing negative. As was that British sprinter whose name I have forgotten. Yet because they're Welsh it's apparently okay and not their fault.

Not sure why youre rambling about failed drugs tests, i was on about boxing.

But agree and believe that if youre found guilty, you should be banned for life. ZERO tolerance. Sportsmen need to be clean or they can f*ck off. I can get off my tits and run around too, but i dont do it for a living.

Its about taking ownership. Have a watch of the Lance Armstrong documentary. What a manipulative c*nt. Hes even doing it now still so he can absolve himself of any blame in his head.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:14 - Jul 25 with 656 viewsdameedna

When representing Wales once at the next level you realise how outclassed you are
...same with the Games
Crap Sports facilities, had to travel to Cwmbran for a tartan track, running in cinders and grass, it is like Al Tupper, the Tough of the Track
Home in Time for Tea
Sausage and Chips
Fancy a Pint
Open a new cake shop in Wales and it is news and even moreso when it closes down
MacDonalds store openings are celebrated
Always been the same
Will it change in the future?
Best chance at moment is Swansea City
But it made not difference 30 years ago
Under Tosh there were 10 Welsh first teamers
Now we have two and they are Defenders
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:21 - Jul 25 with 645 viewsepaul

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 20:30 - Jul 25 by shingle

The Welsh have not got the mental strength to be a success at world level, you only have to look at the way they always end up losing against the big guns in world sport when in a winning position with only minutes to go, the only really big success apart from team players like Bale etc we have had at a mainstream sport at world level is Calzaghe, and he`s half Italian.

and born in England, he's a proper welshie like

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:22 - Jul 25 with 644 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:21 - Jul 25 by epaul

and born in England, he's a proper welshie like

He's less Welsh than the captain of the Welsh national football team.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:24 - Jul 25 with 642 viewsdameedna

Calzaghe knew when to retreat
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:10 - Jul 26 with 618 viewsAquinas

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:55 - Jul 25 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Yeah Greece are terrible. They only won the European Championships within the last decade and got to the last 16 of the 2014 World Cup. Dear me.

There are other sports besides football. Wales has had at least two world champion boxers (my knowledge isn't that great) in recent times, one undefeated. This is a topic about sport, football doesn't trump another mainstream sport.

Read the thread title in future before posting please Rhys.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:14 - Jul 26 with 612 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:10 - Jul 26 by Aquinas

There are other sports besides football. Wales has had at least two world champion boxers (my knowledge isn't that great) in recent times, one undefeated. This is a topic about sport, football doesn't trump another mainstream sport.

Read the thread title in future before posting please Rhys.

I'd rather win the European Championships and see my national football team in major tournaments than drool over an English born man from Italian descent becoming a World Champion in boxing. I can't even keep up with how many World belts there are now.

Football is the biggest sport in the world. I judge us on that. Anything else is a distant second / third / fourth etc in my humble opinion.

Login to get fewer ads

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:27 - Jul 26 with 604 viewsAquinas

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:14 - Jul 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I'd rather win the European Championships and see my national football team in major tournaments than drool over an English born man from Italian descent becoming a World Champion in boxing. I can't even keep up with how many World belts there are now.

Football is the biggest sport in the world. I judge us on that. Anything else is a distant second / third / fourth etc in my humble opinion.

You're missing the point. This thread isn't about what you would 'rather'. It's about the failure of Welsh sport. I made a comparison to us being better than Greece, a country with a much higher population than ourselves. You mentioned their Euro triumph, but that's it.

What you'd 'rather' and what you'd 'judge' is irrelevant to the topic of the thread. It's about all/mainstream sport. Not one football tournament.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:43 - Jul 26 with 590 viewsLe_Swans

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:27 - Jul 26 by Aquinas

You're missing the point. This thread isn't about what you would 'rather'. It's about the failure of Welsh sport. I made a comparison to us being better than Greece, a country with a much higher population than ourselves. You mentioned their Euro triumph, but that's it.

What you'd 'rather' and what you'd 'judge' is irrelevant to the topic of the thread. It's about all/mainstream sport. Not one football tournament.

The 2012 Olympics, Greece won 2 medals Welsh members of team GB won 7, or is that not a big enough sporting event, Dwight?
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:59 - Jul 26 with 581 viewsLiberty

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:27 - Jul 26 by Aquinas

I think you're missing the point.

Thread is just fishing.

It's just another for the anti Welsh theme, that less than a handful of
poster's are running . Do not bite.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 1:04]

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 01:27 - Jul 26 with 566 viewsBanosswan

Ray Reardon, keiran cunningham, Iestyn Harris, Gary taylor 1993 world's strongest man.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 1:31]

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 05:13 - Jul 26 with 529 viewsScoobyWho

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:48 - Jul 25 by Jackfath

We're not winning anywhere near as many medals as Scotland, Nigeria, Singapore and India.

We haven't qualified for a major football tournament in decades.

We are unable to beat any Rugby team from the Southern Hemisphere.

We used to have a plethora of talented snooker players.

And darts, I beat Leighton Reece once.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:15 - Jul 26 with 499 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:59 - Jul 26 by Liberty

I think you're missing the point.

Thread is just fishing.

It's just another for the anti Welsh theme, that less than a handful of
poster's are running . Do not bite.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 1:04]

Utter nonsense. How about trying to contribute rather than dismissing it and making a fool of yourself. Again.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:16 - Jul 26 with 496 viewsJackfath

Someone in the thread asked earlier is there a nation to which can compare with in terms of size and population who are in a better sporting position than us?

How about New Zealand?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:49 - Jul 26 with 486 viewsStarsky

I seem to remember Wales were recently bog snorkelling world champions

It's just the internet, init.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:55 - Jul 26 with 480 viewsLe_Swans

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:16 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

Someone in the thread asked earlier is there a nation to which can compare with in terms of size and population who are in a better sporting position than us?

How about New Zealand?

That's a fair comparison, other than Rugby though what are they good at? And don't mention the All Whites team because they qualified for South Africa, Wales would have in their qualifying group.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:59 - Jul 26 with 473 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:55 - Jul 26 by Le_Swans

That's a fair comparison, other than Rugby though what are they good at? And don't mention the All Whites team because they qualified for South Africa, Wales would have in their qualifying group.

Well using the current CG as a comparison, NZ have more medals than us, 2 golds, 2 silver and 2 bronze. Wales have 0 gold, 3 silver, 3 bronze. Therefore I would suggest they are better than us at sport?

Question is why?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:05 - Jul 26 with 470 viewsJackfath

I wonder if we'll excel at the rugby 7s which is starting today. Hopefully should get a medal here.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:06 - Jul 26 with 466 viewsStarsky

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:05 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

I wonder if we'll excel at the rugby 7s which is starting today. Hopefully should get a medal here.

How are they going to play 8 full backs?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:10 - Jul 26 with 452 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:06 - Jul 26 by Starsky

How are they going to play 8 full backs?

I expect the boys will do us proud whatever happens.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:17 - Jul 26 with 445 viewsLe_Swans

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 09:59 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

Well using the current CG as a comparison, NZ have more medals than us, 2 golds, 2 silver and 2 bronze. Wales have 0 gold, 3 silver, 3 bronze. Therefore I would suggest they are better than us at sport?

Question is why?

Why indeed, beats me. Maybe a mental thing as others have mentioned, can't handle the pressure on the biggest stages perhaps. Again, no idea the reason for that.

They'll have another gold when the 7's is done too.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:23 - Jul 26 with 435 viewsLe_Swans

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:17 - Jul 26 by Le_Swans

Why indeed, beats me. Maybe a mental thing as others have mentioned, can't handle the pressure on the biggest stages perhaps. Again, no idea the reason for that.

They'll have another gold when the 7's is done too.

Perhaps, the funding given to a lot of these sports is aimed at results for team GB, are Wales getting their fair share of this? There was mention of the pool in Swansea losing out on funding not sure if that happened or not, remember Ellie Symonds (I know she's not welsh before someone says it) mentioning she may have to relocate.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:35 - Jul 26 with 426 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:23 - Jul 26 by Le_Swans

Perhaps, the funding given to a lot of these sports is aimed at results for team GB, are Wales getting their fair share of this? There was mention of the pool in Swansea losing out on funding not sure if that happened or not, remember Ellie Symonds (I know she's not welsh before someone says it) mentioning she may have to relocate.

No doubt funding is a huge part of this.

Interestingly there is a new initiative from the WRU where they will match fund the cost of a coach in a comprehensive school. In other words they will pay half of the cost of a full time rugby coach to help with the delivery of rugby in a school. Problem is I can see many schools using this for other purposes other than the delivery of rugby.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:36 - Jul 26 with 426 viewsStarsky

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:23 - Jul 26 by Le_Swans

Are you talking to yourself too?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024