Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? 18:37 - Jul 25 with 8823 viewsJackfath

Discuss.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:16 - Jul 26 with 703 viewshammy

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:52 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

Why are NZ better than us then?

Yes, granted they are just a bit better than us at a few sports, but not much in it overall. From what I can see of the Commonwealth Games table there's very little in it at the moment. But, the Kiwis do punch above their weight a little more than we do and we could do with looking at the way they prepare for sports events. Maybe it's the mix of the indigenous Maori population and European setters over the past 200+ years that has helped to develop a superior set of athletes. Certainly the integration of Africans within the US has provided them with some superb athletes (although, granted it wasn't the intention of the slave trade !).

Anyway, we've got lovely mountains and scenery, when it's not raining, and are a very welcoming nation (or so I'm told by my English neighbours, most of which have some form of Welsh heritage !).

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:23 - Jul 26 with 698 viewsBanosswan

Gold medal

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:48 - Jul 26 with 681 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:08 - Jul 26 by shingle

Hmmm where have i knocked anyone pulling on a red jersey i`m just saying i can not get as excited as a fan like you who think`s playing against the same few teams every year and some times winning a five nations tournament is some sort of great achievement , you are obviously easily pleased but as long as your happy then good for you.

You must hate all sports then if that's your attitude. Unless you are a Chelsea/Barcelnoa/Madrid/Spanish fan. What do you think of Swansea City? We play the same teams every year, get beat by the best on a regular basis too.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:59 - Jul 26 with 672 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:48 - Jul 26 by Neath_Jack

You must hate all sports then if that's your attitude. Unless you are a Chelsea/Barcelnoa/Madrid/Spanish fan. What do you think of Swansea City? We play the same teams every year, get beat by the best on a regular basis too.

The Swans compete against all the teams in the premier which is probably the strongest in the world, the best league in a sport that is played and taken seriously be more or less every country in the world, now if you want to compare that with Wales playing the same handful counties in a minority sport like Rugby than so be it. and remember the Swans do beat the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, etc, Wales never beat the elite at Rugby even when they are ahead with minutes to go they bottle it and lose and that is a fact.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 14:02]
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 15:12 - Jul 26 with 638 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:59 - Jul 26 by shingle

The Swans compete against all the teams in the premier which is probably the strongest in the world, the best league in a sport that is played and taken seriously be more or less every country in the world, now if you want to compare that with Wales playing the same handful counties in a minority sport like Rugby than so be it. and remember the Swans do beat the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, etc, Wales never beat the elite at Rugby even when they are ahead with minutes to go they bottle it and lose and that is a fact.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 14:02]

I've got it, you're a football snob, or a massive hypocrite.

I'm not comparing the teams or the leagues they play in at all. Read what i wrote again if you're not sure about it. Wales can only play/beat/lose against whoever is at the other end of the pitch, same as the Swans. They'll win some, lose some and draw some, same as the Swans. Will i stop supporting either of them? No, because it is what it is.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 16:41 - Jul 26 with 605 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

That gymnast from Neath was lovely.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:11 - Jul 26 with 589 viewscentrestandswan

Perhaps we should start a few new sports of our own then we could be good at something, what about "getting pissed on a Saturday night competition" we surely would be good at that or "fighting for yobs" must be thick as two short planks and pissed as a fart to qualify. We could have" pony riding with no saddle and string for reins ", Penlan should be able to throw up some champions in that pastime.

None of these events would cost too much to run and I am sure the sponsorship would flood in especially for the "getting pissed" one.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:19 - Jul 26 with 580 viewsOldjack

We got a fairly good course fishing team ,won the world champs once

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Login to get fewer ads

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:29 - Jul 26 with 562 viewstreboethjack

Iv'e had a quick browse through the comments and without looking in great detail I can't see anyone that has managed to reply to my question and yet there are still many slamming Wales (once again). So again I will ask the question.
Can anyone name me a country with a similar population to Wales that is so successful that we should aspire to be like on the sporting front? I am not saying one doesn't exist just asking the question. I would also like to ask if anyone remembers how many Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish there were in team GB football side.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:31 - Jul 26 with 558 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:29 - Jul 26 by treboethjack

Iv'e had a quick browse through the comments and without looking in great detail I can't see anyone that has managed to reply to my question and yet there are still many slamming Wales (once again). So again I will ask the question.
Can anyone name me a country with a similar population to Wales that is so successful that we should aspire to be like on the sporting front? I am not saying one doesn't exist just asking the question. I would also like to ask if anyone remembers how many Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish there were in team GB football side.

Answered earlier.

New Zealand.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:36 - Jul 26 with 550 viewsjackonicko

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:19 - Jul 26 by Oldjack

We got a fairly good course fishing team ,won the world champs once

Indeed. Most of them have already posted on this thread.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:37 - Jul 26 with 547 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:36 - Jul 26 by jackonicko

Indeed. Most of them have already posted on this thread.

really boils my piss this does.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:41 - Jul 26 with 544 viewsJackfath

We've won 13 medals and Frankie Jones has won 6 of those. I've never heard of her before today and she's from Neath.

Mental.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:42 - Jul 26 with 543 viewstreboethjack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:31 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

Answered earlier.

New Zealand.

Thank you, as I mentioned I did not have time to read every comment. I would agree with you that they are extremely good at rugby (as are Wales on a slightly lower level) but other than that I can't think of particular sport that they are world beaters in? It's quite possible you know more about sports than myself though.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:44 - Jul 26 with 538 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:42 - Jul 26 by treboethjack

Thank you, as I mentioned I did not have time to read every comment. I would agree with you that they are extremely good at rugby (as are Wales on a slightly lower level) but other than that I can't think of particular sport that they are world beaters in? It's quite possible you know more about sports than myself though.

They're ahead of us in the CG medals table as are Scotland.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:45 - Jul 26 with 537 viewsjackonicko

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:37 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

really boils my piss this does.

An expression that doesn't get used nearly enough on here.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:37 - Jul 26 with 512 viewsexiledclaseboy

Wales's target for the Commonwealth Games was 27 medals. We're only on day three and we've got 13 already. Despite losing some of our best athletes to injury and drugs. Not too shabby that.

Poll: Tory leader

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:40 - Jul 26 with 509 viewstreboethjack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:44 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

They're ahead of us in the CG medals table as are Scotland.

Scotland are doing very well as you would expect from the host nation. New Zealand have a total of 8 medals whereas Wales have 13. From this I would like to think Wales are doing slightly better overall, although they are higher than us by having 1 gold medal more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/2014/medals/countries/canada

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:50 - Jul 26 with 500 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:29 - Jul 26 by treboethjack

Uruguay, Croatia, Finland, i`m sure if you look into this a bit further there may be a few others as well.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 18:53]
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:55 - Jul 26 with 494 viewstreboethjack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:50 - Jul 26 by shingle

Uruguay, Croatia, Finland, i`m sure if you look into this a bit further there may be a few others as well.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 18:53]

Both Uruguay and Croatia are impressive when it comes to football and are regulars in major tournaments, however neither of these countries have to compete with Rugby and only have 1 major sport in their country as far as I am aware. Finland on the other hand have produced famous sportsmen and woman in which sport exactly? I'm sure they have a few that have excelled in their sport but as others have mentioned so have Wales, so I wouldn't say we should aspire to be like the Finnish when it comes to sport.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:02 - Jul 26 with 489 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 17:41 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

We've won 13 medals and Frankie Jones has won 6 of those. I've never heard of her before today and she's from Neath.

Mental.

It`s only the Commonwealth games winning a medal in them is nothing to get to excited about really,
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:04 - Jul 26 with 486 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:02 - Jul 26 by shingle

It`s only the Commonwealth games winning a medal in them is nothing to get to excited about really,

Get your medals out Shingy.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:23 - Jul 26 with 473 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:04 - Jul 26 by Neath_Jack

Get your medals out Shingy.

Is this how you react when your your being made to look a bit of a divvy,, saying things like get your medals out, or what have you ever won on a forum to other poster`s is quite pathetic, it`s like saying to all the guy`s on here who have an opinion or disagree with you when did they win a premiership medal or when did you play in a cup final, if any of us were great successes in sport we would not be on here, that includes you of course, you have even got yourself into such a pickle that you now think that i`m slagging off our Athletes but how that has slipped into your mindset is a mystery to me.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:28 - Jul 26 with 467 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:23 - Jul 26 by shingle

Is this how you react when your your being made to look a bit of a divvy,, saying things like get your medals out, or what have you ever won on a forum to other poster`s is quite pathetic, it`s like saying to all the guy`s on here who have an opinion or disagree with you when did they win a premiership medal or when did you play in a cup final, if any of us were great successes in sport we would not be on here, that includes you of course, you have even got yourself into such a pickle that you now think that i`m slagging off our Athletes but how that has slipped into your mindset is a mystery to me.

Wind your f*cking neck in trappy. So explain what "It`s only the Commonwealth games winning a medal in them is nothing to get to excited about really", means then? This isn't a West Glamorgan athletics meet, you know that do you? A Pickle? Aye, fuming here i am, you could probably tell with the venom that i posted telling you to get your medals out. Are you female? Only a female could read a couple of words and turn them into the essay you have just typed.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:31 - Jul 26 with 464 viewsSwansNZ

Wales appear to be 7th on the medal table, so what’s all the fuss about? Wales are shit at sport, or just the opening day or two at the commonwealth games?

We are ahead of NZ currently in the medal table. NZ of course do have the best rugby and 7s team in the world, but if people say Wales are up there with the best in the Northern Hemisphere you get told rugby does not count. Apart from Rugby, the only other team sports I think NZ is probably one of the best at, would be rugby league and netball, but again, not really a major global sports.

Comparing Wales and NZ is not really fair based on population alone — NZ has approx. 4.25 million, compared to Wales 3 million. Olympic sports NZ is good at would be cycling and rowing, and I know those 2 sports have government funded centres of excellences. Does Wales get such funding or would a centre of excellence be UK based?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024