Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack to a king: The review 20:25 - Sep 12 with 32633 viewsPlazex

RATING OUT OF 10-No, I am being serious. A big 10.
It follows the story of Swansea from when they had the rollercoaster ride in 2001-2003 to where they are now. Some parts had the cinema laughing, especially the guys in the masks. Another part that was funny was the 'T.W.A.T.' Headline that had everyone laughing
I'm not gonna say that much, It is around an hour 30 long. Seriously, it's worth the 9 quid or whatever it is.

Poll: Where will we finish?

Jack to a king: The review on 00:00 - Oct 27 with 1677 viewslondonlisa2001

Jack to a king: The review on 23:56 - Oct 26 by WarwickHunt

That used to be an agreement between the big studios and the cinema chains, it won't apply to a tiny indie and nobody would give a f*ck if it did anyway. It's grossed less than 80k at the box office.

has it really? That's a pretty poor return - they'd better sell a few dvds.

Having said that, I have to admit I haven't been to see it - I have very little interest in seeing it really, not sure why, I just haven't bothered. It's not just the 'reviews' on here - I wasn't fussed before it came out.
Jack to a king: The review on 00:04 - Oct 27 with 1670 viewsParlay

Its the highest grossing football documentary of all time in fact.

It grossed £75,000 in the first 4 weeks.

It was never going to be a Titanic and im sure nobody expected it to be, it is what it is and is the most successful of its kind to date.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Jack to a king: The review on 00:08 - Oct 27 with 1657 viewslondonlisa2001

Jack to a king: The review on 00:04 - Oct 27 by Parlay

It was never going to be a Titanic and im sure nobody expected it to be, it is what it is and is the most successful of its kind to date.

do football documentaries normally have a budget of £1.5m?

Genuine question by the way. I'm not deliberately knocking what was done. But I sort of assume that the answer to my question is no, since people would presumably never ever make films that cost £1.5m and take £80k over and over again.
Jack to a king: The review on 00:09 - Oct 27 with 1654 viewsWarwickHunt

Jack to a king: The review on 00:04 - Oct 27 by Parlay

Subsidised by the club to the tune of £1.5m.

Laughable.
Jack to a king: The review on 00:13 - Oct 27 with 1646 viewsParlay

Jack to a king: The review on 00:08 - Oct 27 by londonlisa2001

do football documentaries normally have a budget of £1.5m?

Genuine question by the way. I'm not deliberately knocking what was done. But I sort of assume that the answer to my question is no, since people would presumably never ever make films that cost £1.5m and take £80k over and over again.

No idea. Didnt even know the budget was that, seems awfully high for a simple documentary.

The second highest grossing football documentary at the box office was Manchester Uniteds "class of 92" which grossed £44,000 but it then went on to sell shed loads in DVD sales which we would never even get close to matching a fraction of.

Im not sure it was done for pure profit from the clubs behalf, its almost a form of advertising to sell our brand and to raise the profile.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2014 0:14]

Forum celebrity

Jack to a king: The review on 00:17 - Oct 27 with 1623 viewslondonlisa2001

Jack to a king: The review on 00:13 - Oct 27 by Parlay

No idea. Didnt even know the budget was that, seems awfully high for a simple documentary.

The second highest grossing football documentary at the box office was Manchester Uniteds "class of 92" which grossed £44,000 but it then went on to sell shed loads in DVD sales which we would never even get close to matching a fraction of.

Im not sure it was done for pure profit from the clubs behalf, its almost a form of advertising to sell our brand and to raise the profile.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2014 0:14]

I imagine that we will sell a load of dvds as well although as you say the budget seems very high - they make documentaries that win oscars for less than that.

I agree re the purpose though - it's looking more and more like an extended infomercial.
Jack to a king: The review on 00:21 - Oct 27 with 1618 viewsParlay

Jack to a king: The review on 00:17 - Oct 27 by londonlisa2001

I imagine that we will sell a load of dvds as well although as you say the budget seems very high - they make documentaries that win oscars for less than that.

I agree re the purpose though - it's looking more and more like an extended infomercial.

Yeah we will sell a fair few I'm sure. Its something that can be sold forever as well as its not time specific like a season review etc. it may be an important DVD for future generations to understand how the club is what it is. I don't have an issue with it and am still skeptical on this £1.5m figure but don't have any firm facts to argue the point.

Manchester United have sold 5 million of those DVD's though and it was only released last year. Astonishing really.

Forum celebrity

Jack to a king: The review on 00:21 - Oct 27 with 1613 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

That's poor.

Rocky, Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Purge and numerous other films that grossed tens, sometimes hundreds of millions had much smaller budgets than this vanity project.

How did they spend millions sitting someone in a chair and interviewing them? Has any fraud taken place?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Login to get fewer ads

Jack to a king: The review on 00:27 - Oct 27 with 1607 viewsParlay

Jack to a king: The review on 00:21 - Oct 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

That's poor.

Rocky, Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Purge and numerous other films that grossed tens, sometimes hundreds of millions had much smaller budgets than this vanity project.

How did they spend millions sitting someone in a chair and interviewing them? Has any fraud taken place?

Do we know for a fact the budget was £1.5m? Well, thats nit even the budget, that what some are suggesting the club contributed alone.

As you say, paranormal activity had a budget of about £8,000. Saw which is a horror motion picture with a full cast to pay had a budget of about £600,000.

I highly doubt Swansea put such a figure into a documentary.

Forum celebrity

Jack to a king: The review on 00:29 - Oct 27 with 1604 viewsWarwickHunt

Jack to a king: The review on 00:27 - Oct 27 by Parlay

Do we know for a fact the budget was £1.5m? Well, thats nit even the budget, that what some are suggesting the club contributed alone.

As you say, paranormal activity had a budget of about £8,000. Saw which is a horror motion picture with a full cast to pay had a budget of about £600,000.

It's hardly a secret but they haven't exactly shouted it from the rooftops either...
Jack to a king: The review on 00:30 - Oct 27 with 1601 viewslondonlisa2001

Jack to a king: The review on 00:21 - Oct 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

That's poor.

Rocky was made in 1976 Dwight. That's like saying you could buy a brand new Rolls in 1976 for cheaper than the cost of a top range Focus now.

And why mention fraud? What possible reason do you have for doing that? Or are you just determined to libel as many people as you possibly can in one evening?
Jack to a king: The review on 00:33 - Oct 27 with 1594 viewsParlay

Jack to a king: The review on 00:29 - Oct 27 by WarwickHunt

It's hardly a secret but they haven't exactly shouted it from the rooftops either...

But where are people getting this figure from? Its an astonishing amount. Im not saying its untrue im just trying to understand where the figure has come from otherwise determining whether it has been a success financially or not is a debate not really based on anything.

Forum celebrity

Jack to a king: The review on 00:34 - Oct 27 with 1592 viewslondonlisa2001

Jack to a king: The review on 00:27 - Oct 27 by Parlay

I don't know for a fact no. I've seen it mentioned on here several times though and by people that would have no real reason to lie about it as far as I could tell.

It does seem very high though I agree.
Jack to a king: The review on 00:39 - Oct 27 with 1576 viewsParlay

Jack to a king: The review on 00:34 - Oct 27 by londonlisa2001

I don't know for a fact no. I've seen it mentioned on here several times though and by people that would have no real reason to lie about it as far as I could tell.

It does seem very high though I agree.

Yep I've seen it mentioned too and never really thought much about it. Its only now that im questioning it as after giving it some thought it doesn't make much sense.

Not calling peoples integrity into question, but I've been around this forum long enough to know a guessed figure quickly turns into a factual one in very little time at all.

Forum celebrity

Jack to a king: The review on 00:51 - Oct 27 with 1558 viewsTNT

I doubt the film was made to gross megabucks, more to set in a tablet of stone what has been achieved.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Jack to a king: The review on 06:56 - Oct 27 with 1501 viewsDr_Winston

Jack to a king: The review on 00:51 - Oct 27 by TNT

I doubt the film was made to gross megabucks, more to set in a tablet of stone what has been achieved.

If it were intended to be a historical document then it's fundamentally flawed with the omission of people like Kenny Jackett and Richard Lillicrap.

The film was intended to raise our profile as a club, as Huw Jenkins stated. Considering almost nobody outside the Swansea area has seen it they obviously did a bang up job,

The budget does seem high, and I'd be surprised if they spent that much on the kind of "documentary" Panorama could bung out on a weekly basis for a fraction of the cost, although if they're including marketing costs it's possible.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2014 7:18]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jack to a king: The review on 10:31 - Oct 27 with 1409 viewsbudegan

Where did the 1.5mil figure come from?

The match footage would almost certainly have been the most expensive factor in the film, hence with the exception of the Wembley game very little of it used and the reliance on photos / (mocked) newspaper headlines. Doubtless this would also have driven many of the editorial decisions, and contributed to why certain stories were completely overlooked.
Jack to a king: The review on 10:40 - Oct 27 with 1389 viewsbuilthjack

There's a rugby one next - Blue to a Queen!

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Jack to a king: The review on 11:13 - Oct 27 with 1362 viewsTNT

Jack to a king: The review on 06:56 - Oct 27 by Dr_Winston

If it were intended to be a historical document then it's fundamentally flawed with the omission of people like Kenny Jackett and Richard Lillicrap.

The film was intended to raise our profile as a club, as Huw Jenkins stated. Considering almost nobody outside the Swansea area has seen it they obviously did a bang up job,

The budget does seem high, and I'd be surprised if they spent that much on the kind of "documentary" Panorama could bung out on a weekly basis for a fraction of the cost, although if they're including marketing costs it's possible.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2014 7:18]

I agree with your view, and the general consensus, regarding the obvious omissions. As for almost nobody outside of Swansea seeing it, there was a healthy number watching it in Cardiff Odeon on the evening that I went to see it!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Jack to a king: The review on 14:28 - Oct 27 with 1291 viewswhiterock

Again, agree with the omissions, Mal Pope chose to ignore requests from certain people, there was a budget of £1.5m but they pulled it off for less.
Jack to a king: The review on 14:43 - Oct 27 with 1300 viewswhiterock

Jack to a king: The review on 23:44 - Oct 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Then somebody screwed up regarding when to commercially screen the film.

It was supposed to be out at the end of last year but got delayed, club were furious as there was a distinct possibility of relegation and the film would have bombed.
Jack to a king: The review on 20:46 - Nov 28 with 1109 viewsOxfordshire_Jack

So ‘Black Friday’ has been and gone, but I still can’t buy nice legit copies of this effing DVD.

Don’t they know it’s Christmas at our commercial department?
Jack to a king: The review on 01:29 - Nov 29 with 990 viewsScoobyWho

Don't spoilt xmas. Watch it when your 70.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Jack to a king: The review on 07:26 - Nov 29 with 951 views1983

Jack to a king: The review on 14:43 - Oct 27 by whiterock

It was supposed to be out at the end of last year but got delayed, club were furious as there was a distinct possibility of relegation and the film would have bombed.

It was still being filmed end of last year,the buses going up the M4 to Wembley were actually going to the cardiff away game in November

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024