Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
American owners 20:58 - Sep 25 with 31479 viewswestx

Any truth in the rumours that we are about to be sold to some Americans?

Poll: Would you welcome new owners if the deal was right?

American owners on 20:36 - Sep 28 with 2777 viewsUxbridge

American owners on 20:29 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

I know what you mean, but I think most people would put their families first when it came down to it (I'm assuming here that they wouldn't deliberately put the club in jeopardy and would only sell to someone that they believed to have the club's best interests at heart, not that they're going to sell to some absolute crook).

I think it would be understandable and that they would end up justifying a sale - maybe only to themselves.

True enough. And of course family will always come first.

People can justify anything in their heads of course. As fans we have a much easier ride in that regard!

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:37 - Sep 28 with 2776 viewsSpratty

American owners on 20:14 - Sep 28 by Uxbridge

Here's a question. Someone offers you £5m for your stake in a business. You're comfortably enough off but this is life changing territory. What do you do?

There's two sides for me. I totally understand the human aspect of this, and who wouldn't be tempted by that sort of money? However the club has to be looked after, and as a fan my only focus would be what's best for the club and those who would profit out of it would be a distant secondary consideration.

Damn you Virgin................

Think I said something like I think we agree

It is the question you posed that I had already considered when questioning ARQS assertion that everyone would sell, when that was by no means a given (one consideration might be their current circumstances).

Given we may not however be able to prevent them selling, we could at least bring pressure to bear to gain some protections. Of course as the Trust we should fight tooth and nail to do what is best for the continuation of the "club" as an entity as opposed to any owner or other staff member (beyond our legal and moral obligations - in previous discussions perhaps we disagree on the moral obligations - at least I got that impression)
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 20:48]
American owners on 20:44 - Sep 28 with 2742 viewslondonlisa2001

American owners on 20:35 - Sep 28 by Uxbridge

People will always read something into anything. However, I don't think you can in this case. And anyway, if the Trust knew about some initial discussions, they probably couldn't comment for confidentiality reasons anyway.

And no doubt the very fact I'm commenting on that will be taken as proof that something is actually happening. Ho hum.

But anyway, silence means nothing.

fair enough.... I had personally assumed though that your comments meant it would and nipped to the bookies earlier....

We can only speak personally and I very much hope that we stay as we are - grow gradually and sustainably. But that is because I haven't grown up on a diet of PL success and therefore believe where we are to be wonderful. I haven't (as yet at least) changed my 'starting point' and my terms of reference for success are therefore realistic.

You only have to look at the threads on here urging us to sign certain players, or keep players, or pay vast salaries for players, or moaning because we didn't beat Chelsea away to know that my view isn't shared by all of our supporters. i guess that some shareholders may similarly have changed their perspectives which in my view at least, is to some extent, understandable, even if I may hope that to not be the case.

Indeed, that perspective shift is apparent when the club makes some of the decisions it makes, on ticket prices, or those electronic hoardings or whatever. We don't seem to be in Kansas anymore.
American owners on 20:57 - Sep 28 with 2710 viewsUxbridge

American owners on 20:44 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

fair enough.... I had personally assumed though that your comments meant it would and nipped to the bookies earlier....

We can only speak personally and I very much hope that we stay as we are - grow gradually and sustainably. But that is because I haven't grown up on a diet of PL success and therefore believe where we are to be wonderful. I haven't (as yet at least) changed my 'starting point' and my terms of reference for success are therefore realistic.

You only have to look at the threads on here urging us to sign certain players, or keep players, or pay vast salaries for players, or moaning because we didn't beat Chelsea away to know that my view isn't shared by all of our supporters. i guess that some shareholders may similarly have changed their perspectives which in my view at least, is to some extent, understandable, even if I may hope that to not be the case.

Indeed, that perspective shift is apparent when the club makes some of the decisions it makes, on ticket prices, or those electronic hoardings or whatever. We don't seem to be in Kansas anymore.

I share your thoughts on the status quo. As a fan, any change carries risk and we're so stable at the moment I'm loathe for anything to rock that boat. Relegation doesn't worry me in the slightest ... as you say we've been there and worse before and even if we went down we'd be in a very strong position. All is good with the status quo.

I won't comment on the views of certain shareholders because it'd either be second hand information at best and one person's interpretation anyway. That way madness lies. As for the specifics of the rumours, I wouldn't comment on their accuracy one way or the other.

The theoretical discussion is a valid and indeed key talking point I feel though, and it's been good to see so many on here feeling the same way regarding not being blinded by the thought of money coming in. I've always had a great pride in Swansea City being the sort of club we are (even if we can always gripe about some very legitimate concerns) and I'd hate for that to ever change.

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:03 - Sep 28 with 2684 viewsUxbridge

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:37 - Sep 28 by Spratty

Damn you Virgin................

Think I said something like I think we agree

It is the question you posed that I had already considered when questioning ARQS assertion that everyone would sell, when that was by no means a given (one consideration might be their current circumstances).

Given we may not however be able to prevent them selling, we could at least bring pressure to bear to gain some protections. Of course as the Trust we should fight tooth and nail to do what is best for the continuation of the "club" as an entity as opposed to any owner or other staff member (beyond our legal and moral obligations - in previous discussions perhaps we disagree on the moral obligations - at least I got that impression)
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 20:48]

Yup agreed. And you're right, we're probably on the same page. As you say, each shareholder will have their own situations and thoughts. Some weren't even Swans fans before being initial investors!

American owners on 21:20 - Sep 28 with 2630 viewswestx

Fair comments I guess on Mel but I cannot help but feel sorry for him on this occasion - had he held out for a couple of years he could have made a few million. That said he would have been more likely to back the Trust perhaps and gift them the shares or at least side with them on this one.

I also accept the comments on the families etc of the other shareholders but it just gets my goat in the aftermath of 'I mortgaged my house' almost as if they were vying for the sympathy vote about how hard done by they were at the time?

As we say anyway its all hypothetical and maybe they won't sell or maybe they won't get the offer.

If/when an offer comes in we would have to know anyway as the Trust will be balloting us all as members and will need to give us the ins and outs of the deal as part of that. Will be interesting to see how the vote goes and an impossible task almost to get and tally the votes of 15,000 odd members although I guess it may be a few less than that.

American owners on 21:30 - Sep 28 with 2595 viewswestx

American owners on 17:15 - Sep 28 by johnlangy

I was thinking something similar earlier. The Trust WOULD end up with £20 m in a £100 m takeover. But what about the rest of the board.

Many people have said, quite rightly, that they would be sorely tempted if their initial investment became a potential £5 m or whatever. I know I would. I also know I would feel I could be dropping the Club in the proverbial if the promises from the new owners didn't work out.

So, what could they do ? They would end up with £80 m between them so, what if they said we'll keep £40 m in a rainy day fund just in case things went t*ts up. They would still go from a Jack To A King (sorry ) overnight even with the paltry £40 m they'd be left with. And, in the process they, and we, would know that the Club would be saved with their pot plus the Trust's £20 m if things did go wrong.

I've used simple numbers (50/50) but that could be 60/40 or 70/30 or whatever but the logic is there.

Is it ?

I like the idea not sure in practice it would work because the amounts concerned would be vastly netted down by the impact of whatever tax they have to pay on the proceeds

American owners on 09:17 - Sep 29 with 2426 viewsjohnlangy

American owners on 21:30 - Sep 28 by westx

I like the idea not sure in practice it would work because the amounts concerned would be vastly netted down by the impact of whatever tax they have to pay on the proceeds

Fair comment but the logic is still the same. If the £80 m became £50 m or whatever. Doing something along those lines would mean they'd be able to say they're safeguarding the Club's future while also benefiting themselves.
Login to get fewer ads

American owners on 09:59 - Sep 29 with 2373 viewsShaky

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

American owners on 07:55 - Oct 1 with 2124 viewsjackforever

Today's evening post makes interesting reading.
American owners on 07:57 - Oct 1 with 2121 viewsDr_Winston

American owners on 07:55 - Oct 1 by jackforever

Today's evening post makes interesting reading.

Yes it does.

"Our commercial department is shit so we need to sell our shares to someone else and hope that they can improve it".

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

American owners on 08:04 - Oct 1 with 2106 viewsPrivate_Partz

American owners on 07:57 - Oct 1 by Dr_Winston

Yes it does.

"Our commercial department is shit so we need to sell our shares to someone else and hope that they can improve it".

I think we need to bring in some more talent on the commercial side of things. It is interesting however that the club have come out and responded to this piece of speculation so soon. I think we are being prepared for a shift in power. A complete takeover seems unlikely at the moment but don't hold your breath.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

American owners on 08:31 - Oct 1 with 2051 viewsDarran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-city-sale-club-hold-talks-Russia

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

American owners on 08:36 - Oct 1 with 2040 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

American owners on 08:31 - Oct 1 by Darran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-city-sale-club-hold-talks-Russia

Excellent news .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

American owners on 08:39 - Oct 1 with 2030 viewsPrivate_Partz

American owners on 08:36 - Oct 1 by oh_tommy_tommy

Excellent news .

'At this stage' are the keywords there.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

American owners on 09:15 - Oct 1 with 1948 viewsUxbridge

American owners on 08:36 - Oct 1 by oh_tommy_tommy

Excellent news .

In what way?

American owners on 09:47 - Oct 1 with 1875 viewsWatchman

American owners on 07:57 - Oct 1 by Dr_Winston

Yes it does.

or interpreted as

"Our commercial department is shit so he needs to sell his shares to someone else and hope that they can improve it".

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

American owners on 09:56 - Oct 1 with 1845 viewsUxbridge

American owners on 09:47 - Oct 1 by Watchman

or interpreted as

"Our commercial department is shit so he needs to sell his shares to someone else and hope that they can improve it".

Well, our commercial dept has clearly been way behind the curve for a long time (you only need to see the excellent Swiss Ramble's account comparisons to see that), but if you were a UK business seeking to break the US market then seeking investors from the US is a perfectly logical course of action for that.

That's not to say I'm for any change in the status quo. I think we're broadly fine as we are, and any change to the ownership structure would concern me greatly.

American owners on 10:21 - Oct 1 with 1772 viewsWatchman

American owners on 09:56 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

Well, our commercial dept has clearly been way behind the curve for a long time (you only need to see the excellent Swiss Ramble's account comparisons to see that), but if you were a UK business seeking to break the US market then seeking investors from the US is a perfectly logical course of action for that.

That's not to say I'm for any change in the status quo. I think we're broadly fine as we are, and any change to the ownership structure would concern me greatly.

Totally agree Ux! WE (fans/trust should be having that debate) WE all have to face up to how do we get Our! club to the next levels.
Everything should be plac ed on the table so that we can see all options

American owners on 10:22 - Oct 1 with 1767 viewsUxbridge

American owners on 10:21 - Oct 1 by Watchman

Totally agree Ux! WE (fans/trust should be having that debate) WE all have to face up to how do we get Our! club to the next levels.
Everything should be plac ed on the table so that we can see all options

That all rather depends on an offer being on the table in the first place of course!

American owners on 10:32 - Oct 1 with 1736 viewsWatchman

American owners on 10:22 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

That all rather depends on an offer being on the table in the first place of course!

Reading between the lines it does appear top table discussions with major implications have taken place as someone said earlier ' at this stage' which means we are being prepared for something.
Would not surprise me if it dovetails with proposed expansion start of January with a full blown press conference
Just a thought

American owners on 11:05 - Oct 1 with 1653 viewsWatchman

However this plays out then I do hope that SCST get to meet any potential new Shareholders/Owners at a private meeting so that the Trust can independently gauge and place legitimate concerns and questions to those parties so that the Trust and its members can come to its own conclusions about any prospective deal

American owners on 11:06 - Oct 1 with 1646 viewsUxbridge

American owners on 11:05 - Oct 1 by Watchman

However this plays out then I do hope that SCST get to meet any potential new Shareholders/Owners at a private meeting so that the Trust can independently gauge and place legitimate concerns and questions to those parties so that the Trust and its members can come to its own conclusions about any prospective deal

That's a given.

American owners on 11:12 - Oct 1 with 1621 viewsWatchman

American owners on 11:06 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

That's a given.

Hope your right Ux

American owners on 11:13 - Oct 1 with 1613 viewsmattjenkins1990

I am still backing the Board, if they think a foreign investor to come in and invest money is the next logical step for progression then so be it, they are Fans who put there own necks on the line to save the club in the past. I appreciate sometimes loyalties can be fragile when large sums of Cash are involved however I do not think any members would take a personal financial gain which would jeopardise the future of the Club especially as they are all pretty well off as it is.

I think the commercial side of the club does leave a lot to be desired, I live in London and there is no where here I could buy the new Swans shirt, merchandise etc however i can get nearly every other side's if i look, neutrals like the club showing admiration for our football and philosophy however the commercial side is not really pushed converting young Jacks from outside the city like the big clubs do, maybe an investment would shake things up enough to continue the sustainable growth, continue to provide facilities but also bolster the Swansea name as an established top flight club.

Who knows what the future holds but change is not always bad.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 11:13]

Poll: Would you welcome Investment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024