Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? 20:36 - Oct 21 with 1220 viewsGlyn1

I'm just curious but does anyone use the Heart of Wales trains for longer train journeys? I can see how it might be a useful train for tourists but I don't think that they know about it, at least at the southern end of it. I suppose it might get more use at the northern end.

If you wanted to go to, perhaps, Birmingham, would it make any sense at all to go on it to Shrewsbury and change trains?

Or should the govt save a few pennies and just scrap it?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 22:03 - Oct 21 with 1171 viewsjack_lord

It is a great train journey and should be publicised more.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:04 - Oct 22 with 1083 viewsPegojack

Scrap it? Are you insane?

I often make a weekend of it by cycling from my house to Bucknell, Shropshire (26 miles) to pick up the HOW train to Swansea. My mate has a flat in the Copper Quarter where I leave my bike during the match. Then I cycle to my mum's in Baglan for an overnight stay. Cycle back to Swansea the next morning and do the journey in reverse. Great stuff.
It's a lovely journey, beautiful scenery, fluffy sheep and some quirky stations along the way.
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:25 - Oct 22 with 1068 viewsDr_Winston

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:04 - Oct 22 by Pegojack

Scrap it? Are you insane?

I often make a weekend of it by cycling from my house to Bucknell, Shropshire (26 miles) to pick up the HOW train to Swansea. My mate has a flat in the Copper Quarter where I leave my bike during the match. Then I cycle to my mum's in Baglan for an overnight stay. Cycle back to Swansea the next morning and do the journey in reverse. Great stuff.
It's a lovely journey, beautiful scenery, fluffy sheep and some quirky stations along the way.

How much does a return trip cost?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:28 - Oct 22 with 1063 viewsPegojack

If the Arriva Trains Cub 55 offer is on, the return trip cost me, last time. £23 (over 55s only). The normal fare is around £30 return.
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:32 - Oct 22 with 1059 viewsdickythorpe

Hereford that sounds great!! - Why isnt it marketed more?
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:39 - Oct 22 with 1049 viewsDr_Winston

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:28 - Oct 22 by Pegojack

If the Arriva Trains Cub 55 offer is on, the return trip cost me, last time. £23 (over 55s only). The normal fare is around £30 return.

Nice one. Can get a day rover ticket for £35 according to Arriva. Something to consider next summer!

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:55 - Oct 22 with 1034 viewsPegojack

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:32 - Oct 22 by dickythorpe

Hereford that sounds great!! - Why isnt it marketed more?

It seems fairly well used, specially when I'm on it on a matchday Saturday. Usually starts filling up around about Llandeilo, all the locals heading to Swansea for the match, or a big day shopping. Quite a few tourists on it too, going the whole way to or from Shrewsbury.

On of the funny things about it is that the train lays up in Llanwrtyd Wells, where there's a double bit of track at the station, and waits for the one coming the other way. When they are both parked up there, the crews swap over and go back to where they came from, rather than do the whole journey on the train they set out with. I suppose they want to be back where they live when the end of the shift comes, rather than a hundred miles away in another country....
[Post edited 22 Oct 2014 9:59]
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:58 - Oct 22 with 1028 viewsswanny

They used to run a 'Jazz Train' (I don't know if they still do this, I've rather lost track of things) - it was enormous fun. Take a picnic lunch and a couple of bottles of something cold. It really should be better advertised. *goes of to google it*

Just checked and it was last run in 2006, it was really popular too, surprised they didn't continue with it.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2014 10:00]

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Login to get fewer ads

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 10:30 - Oct 22 with 1008 viewsSpratty

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 09:58 - Oct 22 by swanny

They used to run a 'Jazz Train' (I don't know if they still do this, I've rather lost track of things) - it was enormous fun. Take a picnic lunch and a couple of bottles of something cold. It really should be better advertised. *goes of to google it*

Just checked and it was last run in 2006, it was really popular too, surprised they didn't continue with it.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2014 10:00]

Sounds like a great idea
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 10:57 - Oct 22 with 990 views1983

CWL Is heavily subsidised by the Welsh assembley and has been done for years,if they pulled their money out it would close over night.It's a white elephant really because of the train times it can t be used by work commuters it just for day trippers and the Welsh Assembley's ego
[Post edited 22 Oct 2014 11:00]

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 12:23 - Oct 22 with 946 viewsbuilthjack

Buy a heart of wales discount card from llandrindod station for £5, and you get 1/3rd off all journeys on the line for a year.
Also, any pensioner can use their bus pass from Oct to March on the line, and get free travel.

The other thing I should mention is people from all over the UK get their train tickets from Llandrindod stationmaster, as he will virtually be guaranteed to get you a better deal than anywhere else, and post the tickets to you. Try it. 01597 822053

Type in Heart of Wales line for more info.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 12:44 - Oct 22 with 930 viewsSwanzay

Beautiful run, used to do it regularly as a kid, as my grandparents used to work for BR, happy memories!
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 15:36 - Oct 22 with 867 viewsstevethejack

Used it a few times when we played Shrewsbury away - cracking trip, scenery is fantastc, although it is a slow journey, around 4 hours 30 minutes.

The one I remember best, I'd been in New Zealand and missed the first couple of games of the season. Shrewsbury away was the first one I made.

I'd just come off a 6 to 6 night shift, had a big breakfast and a shower before getting a lift to Pontardulais to catch the train, with a carrier bag full of Strongbow. I drunk the cans on the way up, had a few in a pub before the game, we won 1-0 and got some cans in an off-licence for the way back.

I was so knackered, having not had any sleep since Friday morning, I opened the first can had one or two sips and fell asleep, holding the can while asleep for 2 hours without spilling a drop. I woke up, finished the can and then the other 3 I had.

A totally amazing day.
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 16:26 - Oct 22 with 845 viewsPegojack

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 12:23 - Oct 22 by builthjack

Buy a heart of wales discount card from llandrindod station for £5, and you get 1/3rd off all journeys on the line for a year.
Also, any pensioner can use their bus pass from Oct to March on the line, and get free travel.

The other thing I should mention is people from all over the UK get their train tickets from Llandrindod stationmaster, as he will virtually be guaranteed to get you a better deal than anywhere else, and post the tickets to you. Try it. 01597 822053

Type in Heart of Wales line for more info.

The only problem for ex-pats like me is that the discount card can only be had by people with selected (Swansea and Shrewsbury) postcodes.
That's discrimination, isn't it? What do our barrack room lawyers say about that? Illegal, surely?
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 19:04 - Oct 22 with 798 viewsstevethejack

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 16:26 - Oct 22 by Pegojack

The only problem for ex-pats like me is that the discount card can only be had by people with selected (Swansea and Shrewsbury) postcodes.
That's discrimination, isn't it? What do our barrack room lawyers say about that? Illegal, surely?

I don't mind using my address to get you one.....send me a PM.
Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 12:17 - Oct 23 with 698 viewsbuilthjack

Heart of Wales Railway - does anyone use it? on 16:26 - Oct 22 by Pegojack

Didn't realise that sorry. I just read the conditions so yes, you do have to reside within the heart of wales line. Daft. But am sure they can be borrowed!!

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024