Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Moores 13:58 - Oct 30 with 24910 viewsblaine_scfc

Anyone know anything about this guy? American businessman who wants to invest in us named on SSN.
John Moores on 14:03 - Oct 30 with 5637 viewsNOTRAC

Looks very promising.Multi millionaire who is well known as a philanthropist and supporter of the poor.Look up 'John Moores American philanthropist 'on the web.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

John Moores on 14:04 - Oct 30 with 5622 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9541168/premier-league-former-padr

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

John Moores on 14:05 - Oct 30 with 5617 viewsblaine_scfc

Just reading now.

Loads of charity work, and a billionaire by all accounts. Businessman though so will be hoping to make money...

Could be an interesting few months ahead.
John Moores on 14:09 - Oct 30 with 5574 viewsNOTRAC

So far I have found nothing but good things said about him.Looks as though it would not be a takeover.He just wants to be part of the set up.Could be ideal person to expand our interests in America.

John Moores on 14:11 - Oct 30 with 5555 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

It's time to move forward .

John Moores on 14:12 - Oct 30 with 5543 viewsDarran

Does he like Cheap Trick?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

John Moores on 14:12 - Oct 30 with 5548 viewsMrSwan

It would be great if he could invest in a SMALL percentage and document to the fans what he wants to invest in and how he feels it will improve the club.

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

John Moores on 14:15 - Oct 30 with 5526 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

John Moores on 14:12 - Oct 30 by Darran

Does he like Cheap Trick?

Heard he's a big fan

Login to get fewer ads

John Moores on 14:17 - Oct 30 with 5508 viewsNOTRAC

Has donated millions to help eradicate scrips disease in Africa.This is a worm disease that affects millions of the poorest people by affecting their bones.
If we are to have an American investor join the Board seems a genuine nice man

John Moores on 14:19 - Oct 30 with 5481 viewsMrSwan

John Moores on 14:17 - Oct 30 by NOTRAC

Has donated millions to help eradicate scrips disease in Africa.This is a worm disease that affects millions of the poorest people by affecting their bones.
If we are to have an American investor join the Board seems a genuine nice man

And he married his mistress lol business wise he sounds good.

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

John Moores on 14:23 - Oct 30 with 5440 viewsDarran

John Moores on 14:15 - Oct 30 by oh_tommy_tommy

Heard he's a big fan

Fab.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

John Moores on 14:32 - Oct 30 with 5390 viewsSwanzay

Here he is:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moores_(baseball)
John Moores on 14:52 - Oct 30 with 5281 viewslondonlisa2001

John Moores on 14:32 - Oct 30 by Swanzay

Here he is:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moores_(baseball)

The Western Mail are also naming Charles Noell (although they have got his name wrong and have spelled it Charles Nowell) who's another billionaire based in Baltimore.

The pair of them are race horse owners together and also owned the Padres together.

Hmm.

Btw - I have to admit finding it quite funny that as soon as the word 'billionaire' is mentioned, people start to try and make out these people to be virtual saints. As I predicted last week, our 'fans' are going to be creaming themselves at the amount of money these guys have - all the 'fan based' club stuff will soon disappear !
John Moores on 14:54 - Oct 30 with 5270 viewsreddythered

Hmmm.

"He served as a director of Peregrine from March 1989 to March 2003 and as Chairman of the Board from March 1990 through July 2000 and from May 2002 through March 2003, during which he cashed out between US$600 and US$630 million in Peregrine stock. He resigned as Peregrine chairman in February 2003 as part of the company's Chapter 11 reorganization."

As chapter 11 reorganization is in fact bankruptcy protection, he seems to have made a lot of money for himself whilst being chairman of a company being run into the ground.

Still, I'm sure your board will have done due diligence.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

John Moores on 14:55 - Oct 30 with 5262 viewsSwanzay

John Moores on 14:52 - Oct 30 by londonlisa2001

The Western Mail are also naming Charles Noell (although they have got his name wrong and have spelled it Charles Nowell) who's another billionaire based in Baltimore.

The pair of them are race horse owners together and also owned the Padres together.

Hmm.

Btw - I have to admit finding it quite funny that as soon as the word 'billionaire' is mentioned, people start to try and make out these people to be virtual saints. As I predicted last week, our 'fans' are going to be creaming themselves at the amount of money these guys have - all the 'fan based' club stuff will soon disappear !

Sad but true, remember everyone back in the day thinking Silversheild were going to be our saviors with a 5 year plan and money to spend........
John Moores on 14:56 - Oct 30 with 5250 viewslondonlisa2001

John Moores on 14:55 - Oct 30 by Swanzay

Sad but true, remember everyone back in the day thinking Silversheild were going to be our saviors with a 5 year plan and money to spend........

yes - also when 'Gulf Oil' sponsored our kits which was exciting until we found it it was just the franchise that became 'Action' - pretty much one petrol station :-)
John Moores on 15:02 - Oct 30 with 5203 viewsmonmouth

John Moores on 14:54 - Oct 30 by reddythered

Hmmm.

"He served as a director of Peregrine from March 1989 to March 2003 and as Chairman of the Board from March 1990 through July 2000 and from May 2002 through March 2003, during which he cashed out between US$600 and US$630 million in Peregrine stock. He resigned as Peregrine chairman in February 2003 as part of the company's Chapter 11 reorganization."

As chapter 11 reorganization is in fact bankruptcy protection, he seems to have made a lot of money for himself whilst being chairman of a company being run into the ground.

Still, I'm sure your board will have done due diligence.

Have to laugh my nob off at a Cardiffist and the concept of due diligence in even remote proximity, but yeah, so do I.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

John Moores on 15:05 - Oct 30 with 5175 viewsDavillin

Well, someone has to point out the fine print between the lines. [This post is purely for information. His charitable work is most commendable, no doubt.]

Read the Wikipedia article with considerable care when it comes to how he terminated his most lucrative enterprise [and if you include the Padres, two most lucrative enterprises].

Here is the most telling point: ". . . as Chairman of the Board [of Peregrine Systems, a venture capital corporation] from March 1990 through July 2000 and from May 2002 through March 2003, during which he cashed out between US$600 and US$630 million in Peregrine stock.[2][3] He resigned as Peregrine chairman in February 2003 as part of the company's Chapter 11 reorganization." If you don't get the point from one reading, read this: he was Chairman of the Board when he cashed out $600M to $630M of the company's stock, and resigned when the company went into reorganization. Draw your own conclusions.

He did keep the Padres for about 15 years,when he sold it for a healthy profit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moores_%28baseball%29

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

John Moores on 15:07 - Oct 30 with 5148 viewsicecoldjack

I wonder if this guy knows Terry Matthews ? Isn't Matthews involved with some group looking to bring ideas and investment into Swansea ?

Both plugged into the IT buisness so maybe there is a connection.
John Moores on 15:12 - Oct 30 with 5111 viewsreddythered

John Moores on 15:07 - Oct 30 by icecoldjack

I wonder if this guy knows Terry Matthews ? Isn't Matthews involved with some group looking to bring ideas and investment into Swansea ?

Both plugged into the IT buisness so maybe there is a connection.

Terry Matthews has zero interest in football though. Wouldn't rule out an introduction or steer your way, would be unlikely though.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

John Moores on 15:12 - Oct 30 with 5104 views_

Peregrine Systems, Inc. was an enterprise software company, founded in 1981, that sold enterprise asset management, change management, and ITIL-based IT service management software. Following an accounting scandal and bankruptcy in 2003, Peregrine was acquired by Hewlett-Packard in 2005.[1] HP now markets the Peregrine products as part of its IT Service Management solutions, within the HP Software Division portfolio.

In 1989, John Moores, founder of BMC Software and owner of the San Diego Padres Major League Baseball team, became a member of the Peregrine Board of Directors. He served as Chairman from March 1990 through July 2000 and then again in 2002.[3] He resigned from the Board in 2003 during the company's bankruptcy filing.[4] His involvement in the software industry continues today with investments through his venture capital firm JMI Equity. The legacy of his investments has been focused on ITSM software packages with the most recent investments made in ServiceNow.[5]

Fraud[edit]
In 2004, a federal grand jury issued an indictment charging eight former executives of Peregrine Systems, Inc., one former outside auditor of Peregrine, and two outside business partners of Peregrine, with conspiracy to commit a multi-billion dollar securities fraud. The case resulted from an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Securities and Exchange Commission had pursued a parallel civil enforcement action.[10]

In 2003, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission charged Peregrine with "massive financial fraud" for the purposes of inflating the company's revenue and stock price.[11] Peregrine, without admitting or denying the allegations of the complaint, agreed to a partial settlement.[11]

Peregrine filed suit against its auditor Arthur Andersen in 2002 for $1 billion in damages, for allegedly allowing incorrect audits that overstated revenues by as much as $250 million to be filed for the 2000-2002 fiscal years.[12] In 2003, the former Peregrine CFO, Matthew Gless, pled guilty to fraud charges.[13][14] In 2008, the former Peregrine CEO, Stephen Gardner, was sentenced to eight years and one month in prison for his role in the fraud, which resulted in bankruptcy for the company.[15][16] Although former chairman of the board, John Moores, sold more than $800 million of shares during Peregrine's fraudulent period, the court of appeals determined that there was insufficient evidence that Moores knew about the fraud that led to the company’s bankruptcy.[17]

Sentences[edit]
Stephen Gardner (former Peregrine CEO): 97 months in custody at the Federal Medical Center, Devens.[15][16] Gardner died of a heart attack in July 2013 while in custody at FPC Cumberland.[18]
Douglas Powanda (former Peregrine Executive Vice President for World Wide Sales): 78 months in custody at the Federal Correctional Institution, Bastrop,[19] followed by two years of supervised release.[20]
Matthew Gless (former Peregrine CFO): 63 months in custody followed by two years of supervised release.[20]
Jeremy Crook (former Peregrine General Manager for Europe): 27 months in custody.[21]
Andrew V. Cahill, Jr. (former Peregrine Executive Vice President for World Wide Sales, after Powanda): 22 months in custody followed by two years of supervised release.[22] Released from prison on October 22, 2010.[23]
Berd J Rassam (former Peregrine Controller): 19 months in custody followed by two years of supervised release.[24]
Larry Rodda (former managing director of KPMG Consulting): Six months in custody, six months of home detention, two years of supervised release and $100 mandatory special assessment.[25]
Richard Nelson (former Peregrine Corporate Counsel): One day in custody, six months home detention and 200 hours of community service.[26]
Ilse Cappel (former Peregrine Assistant Treasurer): Five years of probation.[27]
John Burnham Benjamin (former Peregrine Treasurer): Five years of probation.[28]
Steven Spitzer (former head of Peregrine's Alliance Sales Program): Three years probation, a $5,000 fine and 200 hours of community service plus a $110,000 civil penalty and barred from serving as an officer or director of any public company.[29]
Gary Lenz (former Peregrine President & COO): Three years of probation.[30]
Peter O'Brien (former Peregrine Director of Alliances): One year of probation.[31]
Michael Whitt (owner of Barnhill Management Group): Civil penalty of $60,000.[32]
Charges dismissed:

Joseph Reichner (former Peregrine Vice President of Alliances)[33]
Patrick Towle (former Peregrine Revenue accounting manager)[34]
Dan Stulac (formerly led auditing team at Arthur Andersen)[35]
Eric Paul Deller (former Peregrine General Counsel)[36]
Bankruptcy[edit]
Peregrine filed for Chapter 11 protection on September 23, 2002 after laying off 1400 employees, or nearly half its workforce.[37] When Peregrine filed for federal bankruptcy protection and eventually canceled its common stocks, more than $4 billion in shareholder equity was lost.[38] After filing, the company sold the Remedy division of the company to BMC Software for more than $300 million.[1] Peregrine exited Chapter 11 reorganization in August 2003, and the president and CEO, Gary Greenfield, left the company. Retired software executive John Mutch became president and CEO in August 2003.[39]

Oooooffff

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

John Moores on 15:19 - Oct 30 with 5042 viewsWxmJax

More info searching for

John Jay Moores

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

John Moores on 15:30 - Oct 30 with 4971 viewsDavillin

"Ooooof," indeed. That post makes mine look like a nursery rhyme! Thanks.

p.s. "Although former chairman of the board, John Moores, sold more than $800 million of shares during Peregrine's fraudulent period, the court of appeals determined that there was insufficient evidence that Moores knew about the fraud that led to the company’s bankruptcy."

Please allow a former attorney to tell you that "insufficient evidence" means they couldn't pin something on him. Or to paraphrase a line from Guys and Dolls, from a non-criminal discussing his "record" -- "23 arrests, no convictions." Or Sgt Scholtz -- "I know nothing. I know nothing."
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 15:39]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

John Moores on 15:35 - Oct 30 with 4933 views_

John Moores on 15:30 - Oct 30 by Davillin

"Ooooof," indeed. That post makes mine look like a nursery rhyme! Thanks.

p.s. "Although former chairman of the board, John Moores, sold more than $800 million of shares during Peregrine's fraudulent period, the court of appeals determined that there was insufficient evidence that Moores knew about the fraud that led to the company’s bankruptcy."

Please allow a former attorney to tell you that "insufficient evidence" means they couldn't pin something on him. Or to paraphrase a line from Guys and Dolls, from a non-criminal discussing his "record" -- "23 arrests, no convictions." Or Sgt Scholtz -- "I know nothing. I know nothing."
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 15:39]

That was one hell of a fraud case and some serious custodial sentences dished out.

The fact that this info is going to press (BBC etc) is in itself bad press for us.

The Swans chairman said: "Until there is actually a bit more detail and more definite information to give, this is pure speculation."

He added: ''There is a level of confidentiality that has to remain until there is a bit more to give.''

Move on, Huw... get a grip!!

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

John Moores on 15:37 - Oct 30 with 4926 viewshobo

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2002-10-13/just-how-much-did-john-moores-kno
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024