Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Bottom Line 15:40 - Dec 7 with 4929 viewsmacthejack

West Ham were the better team than us today and they got the victory they deserved. The refereeing decisions are irrelevant. Players did not perform to their best and despite all the talk we failed to deal with Andy Carroll. Pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down for the Spurs game, onwards and upwards!

COYS!
The Bottom Line on 15:43 - Dec 7 with 2757 viewsscottishjack

I was going to post along a similar line, the better team won today...we move on.
The Bottom Line on 15:46 - Dec 7 with 2723 viewsGeoffThom

I dispute their a better side I thought we didn't turn up we've played way better than that and lost and people could accept it today we really didn't press the ball or compete physically which disappoints me more
The Bottom Line on 15:48 - Dec 7 with 2707 viewsLeonisGod

Agreed.
The Bottom Line on 15:49 - Dec 7 with 2693 viewsItchySphincter

Best post of today from the OP. We didn't reach our normal standards and WHU deserved the points. As disappointing as it is.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

The Bottom Line on 15:52 - Dec 7 with 2655 viewsunion_jack

The Bottom Line on 15:46 - Dec 7 by GeoffThom

I dispute their a better side I thought we didn't turn up we've played way better than that and lost and people could accept it today we really didn't press the ball or compete physically which disappoints me more

Yes, but you could say that was because WHU played a game which prevented us playing to our best. From what I saw today, they are marginally better than us. Let's see when they come down here.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Bottom Line on 15:55 - Dec 7 with 2637 viewsItchySphincter

I don't think they'll finish above us. They're not that much different to last year, just a bit more confident. Think we'll both finish between 8th and 12th.

The Bottom Line on 16:01 - Dec 7 with 2602 viewsParlay

Spot on, they are 3rd for a reason. They outplayed us and deserved their win. To blame the ref or anyone else would just be sour grapes, beaten by the better side on the day and we continue our greatest start to a Premier League season where a win next week could see us back in the top 5.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

The Bottom Line on 16:02 - Dec 7 with 2585 views3swan

The Bottom Line on 15:46 - Dec 7 by GeoffThom

They were the better team on the day as they made less mistakes.

As a team we didn't turn up, and apart from our goal we didn't do much else. Poor performance and then overrun by route one physical football.

A lesson learned and move on....I hope
Login to get fewer ads

The Bottom Line on 16:04 - Dec 7 with 2569 viewsGeoffThom

The Bottom Line on 15:52 - Dec 7 by union_jack

Yes, but you could say that was because WHU played a game which prevented us playing to our best. From what I saw today, they are marginally better than us. Let's see when they come down here.

Well let's hope that when they come down here it's the time that we give someone that reall hiding that we've been threatening on occasion 😋
The Bottom Line on 16:06 - Dec 7 with 2555 viewslondonlisa2001

The Bottom Line on 16:01 - Dec 7 by Parlay

Spot on, they are 3rd for a reason. They outplayed us and deserved their win. To blame the ref or anyone else would just be sour grapes, beaten by the better side on the day and we continue our greatest start to a Premier League season where a win next week could see us back in the top 5.

I have no idea what match you watched.

The one I saw had a huge number of relatively ineffectual high balls into our box and Fabianski not even touching the ball in the first half apart from the one save just before we scored.

Carroll is excellent in the air, and it was no surprise when he scored. But in the first half, we had by far the clearer chances - Bony should have put us 2 up when the ball sliced a little off the outside of his boot and prior to that Gylfi had also had a great chance to score a second. Bony also hit the bar in the early part of the second half.

The game changed when Fabianski was sent off, and a couple of our players had poor games - not least Rangel who was dreadful. But outplayed us? Rubbish.
The Bottom Line on 16:12 - Dec 7 with 2522 viewsscottishjack

The Bottom Line on 16:06 - Dec 7 by londonlisa2001

The one I saw had a huge number of relatively ineffectual high balls into our box and Fabianski not even touching the ball in the first half apart from the one save just before we scored.

Carroll is excellent in the air, and it was no surprise when he scored. But in the first half, we had by far the clearer chances - Bony should have put us 2 up when the ball sliced a little off the outside of his boot and prior to that Gylfi had also had a great chance to score a second. Bony also hit the bar in the early part of the second half.

The game changed when Fabianski was sent off, and a couple of our players had poor games - not least Rangel who was dreadful. But outplayed us? Rubbish.

The game didn't change when Fabianski was sent off, we were 2-1 down and West Ham were playing well.
The Bottom Line on 16:15 - Dec 7 with 2503 viewsjojaca

West Ham were excellent AGAIN at home against us, exposed our weaknesses AGAIN. Big Sam would love to play us at home every week. We struggle to play fit teams that presses us in our own half and can't cope with big No.9's. I think we missed Neil Taylor badly today, even though most on here would disagree and maybe today's game might confirm Fernandez as first choice center defense. Maybe today's type of game today would have suited a more physical Shelvey in the middle of park.

Even when you know, you never know?

The Bottom Line on 16:16 - Dec 7 with 2498 viewslondonlisa2001

The Bottom Line on 16:12 - Dec 7 by scottishjack

The game didn't change when Fabianski was sent off, we were 2-1 down and West Ham were playing well.

of course it changed. West Ham were playing pretty well, but weren't creating much and there was always a chance of us carving them apart again (as we had done about 3 times previously, not including our goal) and getting an equaliser.

We had to just gamble when we went to 10, although even then we had a bit of joy for about 5 minutes when we could have equalised.
The Bottom Line on 16:22 - Dec 7 with 2467 viewsItchySphincter

You're being emotional. Whether you appreciate their style or not is irrelevant. We were second best throughout today.

The Bottom Line on 16:26 - Dec 7 with 2442 viewslondonlisa2001

The Bottom Line on 16:22 - Dec 7 by ItchySphincter

You're being emotional. Whether you appreciate their style or not is irrelevant. We were second best throughout today.

no, not at all. In fact I'm being the opposite of emotional about it all.

We weren't outplayed. The game could have gone either way. We had more clear cut chances than they did if anything until the past 10 minutes when we were a player short. I'm pointing out that I'm not being swayed by 45 minutes of pumping high balls into our box as 'dominating us'.
The Bottom Line on 16:31 - Dec 7 with 2415 viewsItchySphincter

The high balls into the box is what works for them though and although we may disapprove it works for them. They are playing the averages. Wimbledon did it for years. I just can't agree that we deserved much out of the game. Not out finest moment but not likely to be season defining either. We'll have days like this but I'd rather see us keep plugging away and trying to find a fix for these performances than bury our head in the sand and insist we were the better side on the day. We are a better side in the long run and that's why I think we'll finish above them but we can't win every week.

The Bottom Line on 16:35 - Dec 7 with 2390 viewslondonlisa2001

The Bottom Line on 16:31 - Dec 7 by ItchySphincter

The high balls into the box is what works for them though and although we may disapprove it works for them. They are playing the averages. Wimbledon did it for years. I just can't agree that we deserved much out of the game. Not out finest moment but not likely to be season defining either. We'll have days like this but I'd rather see us keep plugging away and trying to find a fix for these performances than bury our head in the sand and insist we were the better side on the day. We are a better side in the long run and that's why I think we'll finish above them but we can't win every week.

sorry - I didn't say we were the better side - I said we weren't outplayed. There is quite a difference in those two statements.

I would always put away against West Ham into the category of 'least likely to get anything' every season. I would have more confidence playing away against Arsenal or Liverpool than at Upton Park to be honest. Therefore, I don't get angry about it - it all seems so predictable in my opinion. We'll finish above them this year I believe.
The Bottom Line on 16:38 - Dec 7 with 2369 viewsItchySphincter

The Bottom Line on 16:35 - Dec 7 by londonlisa2001

sorry - I didn't say we were the better side - I said we weren't outplayed. There is quite a difference in those two statements.

I would always put away against West Ham into the category of 'least likely to get anything' every season. I would have more confidence playing away against Arsenal or Liverpool than at Upton Park to be honest. Therefore, I don't get angry about it - it all seems so predictable in my opinion. We'll finish above them this year I believe.

Fairy'nuff. Not a million miles from my own view.

The Bottom Line on 16:38 - Dec 7 with 2366 viewsMrSwan

Clearly that team was not our strongest an e should now try

Fabianski
Rangel Williams Fernandez Taylor
Ki Shlevey
Dyer Gylfi Montero
Bony

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

The Bottom Line on 16:58 - Dec 7 with 2310 viewsoldcob

We didn't attack enough today. When a goal down and had to go forward we looked dangerous, and exposed their defence. It seem we went there to get a point instead of taking them on. We were caught a few times playing short ball triangles in our own third of the field instead of trying to attack them as is our game. I can't understand why we didn't get Dyer on sooner, the game changed when he came on against QPR.
The Bottom Line on 17:00 - Dec 7 with 2292 viewsJackfath

The Bottom Line on 16:58 - Dec 7 by oldcob

We didn't attack enough today. When a goal down and had to go forward we looked dangerous, and exposed their defence. It seem we went there to get a point instead of taking them on. We were caught a few times playing short ball triangles in our own third of the field instead of trying to attack them as is our game. I can't understand why we didn't get Dyer on sooner, the game changed when he came on against QPR.

I thought we counter attacked brilliantly to get the goal. I guess that was the tactic.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The Bottom Line on 17:06 - Dec 7 with 2263 viewsParlay

The same match as you. The difference being, again, is im stating facts.

Of course they outplayed us, you are on one tonight arent you. I didnt have you down as a biased poster, whats the point in being biased?

They played most of the game in our half and played to their strengths. Their strengths are ones we could not handle. We rarely got possession in their half but in fairness when we did we looked dangerous.

They fully deserved to win and only the most one eyed of swans fanatics would even attempts to suggest otherwise. And a one eyed swans fanatic is about as useful to a balanced debate as Rabbit with a typewriter.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

The Bottom Line on 17:07 - Dec 7 with 2260 viewsoldcob

The Bottom Line on 17:00 - Dec 7 by Jackfath

I thought we counter attacked brilliantly to get the goal. I guess that was the tactic.

Which is my point. Not only when we counter attacked but when we went down to ten men and 2-1 down we looked far better playing our natural game. I agree that that was the pre match plan (hit them on the break) but it don't agree that it was the right tactic to play today. Though I am making my observation after the fact I admit.
The Bottom Line on 17:13 - Dec 7 with 2231 viewsunion_jack

The Bottom Line on 16:04 - Dec 7 by GeoffThom

Well let's hope that when they come down here it's the time that we give someone that reall hiding that we've been threatening on occasion 😋

Personally, I'm rather hoping that will be Stoke. Take a 1-0 scrappy goal against WHU.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Bottom Line on 17:20 - Dec 7 with 2204 viewslondonlisa2001

The Bottom Line on 17:06 - Dec 7 by Parlay

The same match as you. The difference being, again, is im stating facts.

Of course they outplayed us, you are on one tonight arent you. I didnt have you down as a biased poster, whats the point in being biased?

They played most of the game in our half and played to their strengths. Their strengths are ones we could not handle. We rarely got possession in their half but in fairness when we did we looked dangerous.

They fully deserved to win and only the most one eyed of swans fanatics would even attempts to suggest otherwise. And a one eyed swans fanatic is about as useful to a balanced debate as Rabbit with a typewriter.

nope - you're not stating facts, you're stating your opinion.

We were not 'outplayed'. We had an obvious strategy to allow them the ball at the back, to deal with their threat in the air and to counter attack.

If we had been outplayed, you would expect to see a string of great saves from Fabianski (which there weren't - there was one single save before our goal). We had the clearer opportunities and could have gone 2 up on two occasions in the first half.

We didn't play particularly well on the counter attack as we gave the ball away too cheaply - particularly from our full backs who were poor. We weren't the better team either. But we weren't 'outplayed'. A succession of balls lumped into our box with a crowd screaming for penalties every ten seconds does not mean we've been outplayed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024