Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Shelvey conundrum 19:24 - Dec 14 with 12049 viewsParlay

As most on here may know, there has been a great debate about the intelligence of Shelvey letting his game down and contributing to him not getting a starting berth. Apparently according to one or two, that opinion of him is wrong.

Today opitomised exactly that for me. He came on and pinged some superb long passes around the park and then undid it with a complete brainless moment where he dropped deep to pick up the ball, so deep he was actually now the last line of defence, plenty of safe areas and open payers to pass to and he tries to beat the striker?! Needless to say he lost the ball and was now a one on one situation and having then to chase back, even then, he dived in from behind and almost gave away a penalty (and certain red card)?!

Space left, space right and even space in behind the defence to Bony.

Superbly naturally talented player but one of the most thoughtless players out there. This is why Monk cannot trust him with a starting berth at present.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 19:26]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

The Shelvey conundrum on 23:48 - Dec 14 with 1915 viewsDarran

The Shelvey conundrum on 23:39 - Dec 14 by dameedna

It was a pantomime and there were villains on each side.
We need Shelvey back in the starting 11 as we have lost 2 games without him playing.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 23:39]

Aye strange how we beat Arsenal without him even being on the bench though eh?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Shelvey conundrum on 23:57 - Dec 14 with 1893 viewslondonlisa2001

The Shelvey conundrum on 23:48 - Dec 14 by WarwickHunt

Surprising, not suicidal.

Ash?
The Shelvey conundrum on 00:03 - Dec 15 with 1880 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 23:16 - Dec 14 by _

Oh I know, to see him losing the ball and then that God awful lunge was just bonkers.

Imagine he'd have brought him down and git sent off and a pen, that would have just topped it all off... :-(

Aye, good job the fella stayed on his feet after the lunge because that would have certainly been the result and i would be here all night defending the ref again

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:07 - Dec 15 with 1871 viewslondonlisa2001

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:03 - Dec 15 by Parlay

Aye, good job the fella stayed on his feet after the lunge because that would have certainly been the result and i would be here all night defending the ref again

not against me you wouldn't have...
The Shelvey conundrum on 00:15 - Dec 15 with 1853 viewsBytholWyn

In the unseemly rush to scapegoat Jazz for the second goal is it surprising that no one noticed that Shelvey was in a position to intercept Ben's assist to Eriksen. What did Shelvey do? He just stood there, and had a wonderful view of proceedings. Richards' pass was inept but a genuine error - Shelvey's indolence was just plain scandalous.
The Shelvey conundrum on 00:18 - Dec 15 with 1848 viewsmonmouth

The Shelvey conundrum on 23:57 - Dec 14 by londonlisa2001

Ash?

Certainly little Nath I would think. Maybe Amat or even Gomis? Good game, good game.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:29 - Dec 15 with 1825 viewslondonlisa2001

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:18 - Dec 15 by monmouth

Certainly little Nath I would think. Maybe Amat or even Gomis? Good game, good game.

I wouldn't like to see Nathan go, nor Amat to be honest.

I was thinking today whether one of our centre backs could do a job at full back. Quite a few teams now seem to have some who are interchangeable.
The Shelvey conundrum on 00:36 - Dec 15 with 1818 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:07 - Dec 15 by londonlisa2001

not against me you wouldn't have...

Oh there would be a few Lisa, trust me.

Forum celebrity

Login to get fewer ads

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:38 - Dec 15 with 1811 viewsbluenile

The Shelvey conundrum on 19:38 - Dec 14 by oh_tommy_tommy

Keep knocking JJS .

He will sign another contract soon .

Fu ckin dreadful thread.

On the contrary, the whole gist of this thread is correct. he threads the million dollar pass, then forgets how to track back and tackle without giving away a penalty. The worst thing about him is that he doesn't appear very bright and consequently appears to never learn anything.................take off those rose tinted spectacles. We lost today because of the substitutions, including Shelvey.

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:43 - Dec 15 with 1803 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:15 - Dec 15 by BytholWyn

In the unseemly rush to scapegoat Jazz for the second goal is it surprising that no one noticed that Shelvey was in a position to intercept Ben's assist to Eriksen. What did Shelvey do? He just stood there, and had a wonderful view of proceedings. Richards' pass was inept but a genuine error - Shelvey's indolence was just plain scandalous.

I did actually. But wasn't quick enough with my screenshot button and didnt think it would go down too well without showing it. We have to expect that from jonjo though, he doesn't see the game as quickly as many people, even as quick as some fans. Often, i and others are screaming for him to look up.

Having said that, it will be a shame if he is off as some suggest as he, along with Gylfi, are our only real goal threats from the centre of the midfield.

As for Jazz, people are idiots making him the scapegoat. The guy has played a handful of Premier League games, he knows he isn't Maldini, not his fault.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2014 0:44]

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:46 - Dec 15 with 1795 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:38 - Dec 15 by bluenile

On the contrary, the whole gist of this thread is correct. he threads the million dollar pass, then forgets how to track back and tackle without giving away a penalty. The worst thing about him is that he doesn't appear very bright and consequently appears to never learn anything.................take off those rose tinted spectacles. We lost today because of the substitutions, including Shelvey.

its so frustrating isnt it.

Its like someone has put Steven Gerard's talent in Elmer Fudd.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:52 - Dec 15 with 1779 viewsmonmouth

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:29 - Dec 15 by londonlisa2001

I wouldn't like to see Nathan go, nor Amat to be honest.

I was thinking today whether one of our centre backs could do a job at full back. Quite a few teams now seem to have some who are interchangeable.

I would too, but there must be a reason Dyer is not getting game time. he looked electric when he came on vs QPR, then nowt. At his age he surely wants more game time. Ditto Amat/Bartley. hard to sit on the bench/play U21 when you've been playing well in the prem

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Shelvey conundrum on 01:01 - Dec 15 with 1765 viewsJoe_bradshaw

It was a bit odd to sub Leon for Shelvey so soon after the equaliser. We had them on the rack without the more attacking option anyway. I guess Monk thought he'd really go for their throat at that point.

Having said that I am still unsure about Ki and Leon together. I think it makes us too defensive at home and often neither get forward quickly enough to support Siggy and we don't get enough players attacking the ball when it comes into the box.

Ideally we would have better balance with a Shelvey like player with fewer of his deficiencies. Very difficult to find one at a price we could afford though. Better and cheaper option is to work with him on his game. With just a little improvement he would be as good as we could expect to have here.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Shelvey conundrum on 10:03 - Dec 15 with 1662 viewsUxbridge

Don't know what to make of Shelvey at the moment. Looks to be carrying a bit of timber too, although that might have been the rain making his top cling to him. But whatever it is, he's not much use to us at the moment.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Shelvey conundrum on 10:10 - Dec 15 with 1653 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:38 - Dec 15 by bluenile

We lost because of a mistake by a right back.

And a centre forward who could have had .... Let's be kind here ....at least a hatrick .

But you lot carry on .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The Shelvey conundrum on 10:12 - Dec 15 with 1649 viewsUxbridge

The Shelvey conundrum on 10:10 - Dec 15 by oh_tommy_tommy

And a centre forward who could have had .... Let's be kind here ....at least a hatrick .

But you lot carry on .

Well, he was clearly irrelevant to the goal. That was the unfortunate brainfart of one individual. It's a more general debate regarding Shelvey though surely.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Shelvey conundrum on 11:42 - Dec 15 with 1611 viewsbluenile

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:46 - Dec 15 by Parlay

its so frustrating isnt it.

Its like someone has put Steven Gerard's talent in Elmer Fudd.

Couldn't have put it better myself..........................

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

The Shelvey conundrum on 12:35 - Dec 15 with 1576 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 10:10 - Dec 15 by oh_tommy_tommy

But you lot carry on .

This thread has nothing to do with why we lost.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 12:40 - Dec 15 with 1567 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 11:42 - Dec 15 by bluenile

Couldn't have put it better myself..........................

*this image is designed for entertainment purposes only.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 14:28 - Dec 15 with 1518 viewsC_jack

The Shelvey conundrum on 12:40 - Dec 15 by Parlay

*this image is designed for entertainment purposes only.

So why exactly are you starting to get personal towards Jonjo?

To criticise his ability on the pitch is fine, you're starting to take a very strange line now though.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

The Shelvey conundrum on 14:58 - Dec 15 with 1478 viewsunion_jack

The Shelvey conundrum on 00:15 - Dec 15 by BytholWyn

I have just seen that by Shelvey and by God you are right. I missed it live yesterday.

That said, it should never have got to that if Richards had cleared it properly in the first place. That was an awful mistake which he needn't have made.

Regarding his inclusion as a substitute, I have a feeling that he was being given a chance by Monk late on just to get some game time. Maybe Garry rues that decision now!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Shelvey conundrum on 14:59 - Dec 15 with 1476 viewsA_Fans_Dad

If a sub had to be made and that is very debatable, it made much more sense to sub Shelvey for Ki who was already on a Yellow andto keep Leon as defensive mid.
If I was Nathan I would be seriously thinking about a move, he has been far more effective for the team on the right wing than Routledge but can't get a start or even a sub during some games.
But I think Barrow would have been even more effective going up against Ben, he would have ripped past him leaving the only option for Ben to bring him down.
The Shelvey conundrum on 15:24 - Dec 15 with 1450 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 14:28 - Dec 15 by C_jack

So why exactly are you starting to get personal towards Jonjo?

To criticise his ability on the pitch is fine, you're starting to take a very strange line now though.

Im not criticising his ability, never once have I. You really don't understand this debate, do you?

We are talking about his footballing intelligence. His stupid decision making and his lack of learning. This was led to a comment about someone putting Steven Gerrards talent in Elmer Fudd - a cartoon character who continuously gets outfoxed by bugs bunny, seemingly never learning.

This led me to mock up a comedic photo of elmer fudd in a swans shirt. To nip the sensitive parlay obsessives in the bud before they got started.. my disclaimer was put there that this is for comedic value only... Seems it didn't nip all of them in the bud then.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 15:42 - Dec 15 with 1436 viewsBatterseajack

Trouble with Shelvey, people see him as the complete package because he looks a bit older than 22. As he matures he'll be a top class player and certainly one to keep hold of.
The Shelvey conundrum on 15:47 - Dec 15 with 1430 viewsC_jack

The Shelvey conundrum on 15:24 - Dec 15 by Parlay

Im not criticising his ability, never once have I. You really don't understand this debate, do you?

We are talking about his footballing intelligence. His stupid decision making and his lack of learning. This was led to a comment about someone putting Steven Gerrards talent in Elmer Fudd - a cartoon character who continuously gets outfoxed by bugs bunny, seemingly never learning.

This led me to mock up a comedic photo of elmer fudd in a swans shirt. To nip the sensitive parlay obsessives in the bud before they got started.. my disclaimer was put there that this is for comedic value only... Seems it didn't nip all of them in the bud then.

Oh ok, so now you're about to tell us that ability is purely physical, right? So you've not criticised any of his abilities by continuing to talk rubbish about his 'football intelligence'?

Ahh that's ok then, it's clear what you're implying by using an outdated caricature, not to mention you've called him 'thick' in the past. It's petulant, and more so strange as it's something you'd expect from a rival fan, but you crack on.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024