Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Shelvey conundrum 19:24 - Dec 14 with 12034 viewsParlay

As most on here may know, there has been a great debate about the intelligence of Shelvey letting his game down and contributing to him not getting a starting berth. Apparently according to one or two, that opinion of him is wrong.

Today opitomised exactly that for me. He came on and pinged some superb long passes around the park and then undid it with a complete brainless moment where he dropped deep to pick up the ball, so deep he was actually now the last line of defence, plenty of safe areas and open payers to pass to and he tries to beat the striker?! Needless to say he lost the ball and was now a one on one situation and having then to chase back, even then, he dived in from behind and almost gave away a penalty (and certain red card)?!

Space left, space right and even space in behind the defence to Bony.

Superbly naturally talented player but one of the most thoughtless players out there. This is why Monk cannot trust him with a starting berth at present.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 19:26]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:28 - Feb 1 with 1911 viewsfootball2301

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:21 - Feb 1 by Parlay

No, he had a decent game. Would you say he was not intelligent today?

i would say he was the best player on the pitch and showed the most intelligence passed excellently and at the right time held the ball up when needed to never panicked tracked back intelligently so yes i thought he was head and shoulders above everyone in intelligence department today don't you ?
The Shelvey conundrum on 21:31 - Feb 1 with 1896 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:28 - Feb 1 by Parlay

You thought he was bad today?? What game were you watching??

Or you dont think he does stupid things more often than your average player??

If your answer to the second bit is "no", You do realise this was his first game back after a 4 match ban right?

The guff is the guff when you started this thread .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:31 - Feb 1 with 1893 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:28 - Feb 1 by football2301

i would say he was the best player on the pitch and showed the most intelligence passed excellently and at the right time held the ball up when needed to never panicked tracked back intelligently so yes i thought he was head and shoulders above everyone in intelligence department today don't you ?

No, he didnt strike me as particularly intelligent today. I dont think Shelvey will ever strike me as particularly intelligent as he isnt an intelligent footballer. What he does have is a cracking shot and a great range of passing.

The two shouldnt be confused.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:32 - Feb 1 with 1887 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:31 - Feb 1 by oh_tommy_tommy

The guff is the guff when you started this thread .

Oh right. That guff was stating that he does stupid things.

Do you not think so then?

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:37 - Feb 1 with 1874 viewsfootball2301

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:31 - Feb 1 by Parlay

No, he didnt strike me as particularly intelligent today. I dont think Shelvey will ever strike me as particularly intelligent as he isnt an intelligent footballer. What he does have is a cracking shot and a great range of passing.

The two shouldnt be confused.

you probably don't understand football as well as i do then so he didn't hold the ball up at the right time didn't pass the ball at the right time didn't run with the ball at the right time didn't screen the front at the correct times didn't track without fouling all the ingredients of intelligent footballer i think !
The Shelvey conundrum on 21:43 - Feb 1 with 1857 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:37 - Feb 1 by football2301

you probably don't understand football as well as i do then so he didn't hold the ball up at the right time didn't pass the ball at the right time didn't run with the ball at the right time didn't screen the front at the correct times didn't track without fouling all the ingredients of intelligent footballer i think !

Well the fact you think someone can turn from an unintelligent footballer to an intelligent footballer in the space of a few weeks suggest maybe you dont know much about our beautiful game at all... Or that you didnt feel that he was unintelligent before and getting a 4 match ban, as well as all his other faux pas' was the sign if great intelligence... Which again suggests maybe you dont know much about our beautiful game.

Intelligent footballers are intelligent footballers all the time, its natural.

But maybe you know better than Rodgers, Monk, carragher and everybody who has ever watched him who also share my opinion publicly. Just maybe.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2015 21:44]

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:56 - Feb 1 with 1834 viewsfootball2301

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:43 - Feb 1 by Parlay

Well the fact you think someone can turn from an unintelligent footballer to an intelligent footballer in the space of a few weeks suggest maybe you dont know much about our beautiful game at all... Or that you didnt feel that he was unintelligent before and getting a 4 match ban, as well as all his other faux pas' was the sign if great intelligence... Which again suggests maybe you dont know much about our beautiful game.

Intelligent footballers are intelligent footballers all the time, its natural.

But maybe you know better than Rodgers, Monk, carragher and everybody who has ever watched him who also share my opinion publicly. Just maybe.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2015 21:44]

i will entertain you for the last time because i find you boring and don't know a lot about football but firstly i never said anything about becoming intelligent i said his game was very intelligent and the reasons why and you could not disagree if you did it would mean that you just don't like the boy as a player now for the rest of your drivel as for carragher an ex pro saying things about training ground issues is a disgrace considering they wasn't true i know for fact jjs left liverpool and rogers asked him to stay as for monk i know for fact he considers him one of his best players now I'm not saying he needs to work on certain parts of his game i.e. stupid bookings but please don't insult my intelligence by saying you didn't think he was intelligent in his play today
The Shelvey conundrum on 22:06 - Feb 1 with 1810 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 21:56 - Feb 1 by football2301

i will entertain you for the last time because i find you boring and don't know a lot about football but firstly i never said anything about becoming intelligent i said his game was very intelligent and the reasons why and you could not disagree if you did it would mean that you just don't like the boy as a player now for the rest of your drivel as for carragher an ex pro saying things about training ground issues is a disgrace considering they wasn't true i know for fact jjs left liverpool and rogers asked him to stay as for monk i know for fact he considers him one of his best players now I'm not saying he needs to work on certain parts of his game i.e. stupid bookings but please don't insult my intelligence by saying you didn't think he was intelligent in his play today

The typical response of a coward. No offence.

"I will make loaded remarks and then when I get stumped I will insult you and run away"

You are generalising. Surely i can say "i dont think he is intelligent and if you do it just means you love him". Works both ways pal.

Im amazed you think Carragher was lying about the training ground, i can only assume you arent doing that out of objective rationality but indeed blind ignorance. Rodgers also made it clear on the documentary "being liverpool" that unless shelvey grew up he would have to leave. His exact words. Monk has come out in the press saying he needs to "wise up"... Again his words.

Now call that drivel all you like but these are facts by some of the most respected people in the english game today. Yet you think you know better because you want to argue with Parlay on the internet.

You realise how silly thay sounds right?

Forum celebrity

Login to get fewer ads

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:20 - Feb 1 with 1779 viewsfootball2301

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:06 - Feb 1 by Parlay

The typical response of a coward. No offence.

"I will make loaded remarks and then when I get stumped I will insult you and run away"

You are generalising. Surely i can say "i dont think he is intelligent and if you do it just means you love him". Works both ways pal.

Im amazed you think Carragher was lying about the training ground, i can only assume you arent doing that out of objective rationality but indeed blind ignorance. Rodgers also made it clear on the documentary "being liverpool" that unless shelvey grew up he would have to leave. His exact words. Monk has come out in the press saying he needs to "wise up"... Again his words.

Now call that drivel all you like but these are facts by some of the most respected people in the english game today. Yet you think you know better because you want to argue with Parlay on the internet.

You realise how silly thay sounds right?

listen you clown i do nothing out of ignorance i can say what i like about carragher because i know what happened i know the truth you a clown who listens to ex pros making shit up to sound good he's a disgrace have you ever played at any level and rogers said nothing of the sort you fool I'm not going on anymore with a no nothing fool you know feck all and i know exactly what happened goodnight fool
The Shelvey conundrum on 22:24 - Feb 1 with 1771 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:20 - Feb 1 by football2301

listen you clown i do nothing out of ignorance i can say what i like about carragher because i know what happened i know the truth you a clown who listens to ex pros making shit up to sound good he's a disgrace have you ever played at any level and rogers said nothing of the sort you fool I'm not going on anymore with a no nothing fool you know feck all and i know exactly what happened goodnight fool

"Clown" .... "clown" .... "fool" .... "fool"

You are an angry little lamb aren't you. and not doing your credibility any favours.

Right so Carragher made it all up and you know what went on in Liverpool's training ground more. The makers of being Liverpool had a stunt double of Rodgers telling shelves he would have to go if he didn't sort himself out and he is a very intelligent player.

Ok... cool.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:35 - Feb 1 with 1756 viewsjackrabbit

Shelvey is the only Swan who can hit a moving ball from outside the penalty area and not hit Row ZZ or the corner flag but get it on target. Siggy can do it with a stationary ball but rarely hits the target from that distance while running.

He is also one of the few players who tries to slip a tackler and make ground with the ball. Too many Swans look immediately to lay it off first touch- usually back where it just came from.

Southampton's Tadic today was an example of a player who constantly tries to beat his man and create a scoring opportunity. He gave Taylor a torrid time first half. Players like that are invaluable. Dyer and Routledge used to do it for us .....but no more.

Shelvey is a skilfull player and Swans are better for his presence in the side - but he's not a Gerrard or Lampard. That's why he's with us. Let's appreciate him for what he is and what he offers.
The Shelvey conundrum on 23:34 - Feb 1 with 1697 viewsLeonisGod

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:35 - Feb 1 by jackrabbit

Shelvey is the only Swan who can hit a moving ball from outside the penalty area and not hit Row ZZ or the corner flag but get it on target. Siggy can do it with a stationary ball but rarely hits the target from that distance while running.

He is also one of the few players who tries to slip a tackler and make ground with the ball. Too many Swans look immediately to lay it off first touch- usually back where it just came from.

Southampton's Tadic today was an example of a player who constantly tries to beat his man and create a scoring opportunity. He gave Taylor a torrid time first half. Players like that are invaluable. Dyer and Routledge used to do it for us .....but no more.

Shelvey is a skilfull player and Swans are better for his presence in the side - but he's not a Gerrard or Lampard. That's why he's with us. Let's appreciate him for what he is and what he offers.

Exhibit A.

I get where you are coming from, but JJS is hardly a prolific scorer despite his ability to strike a ball cleanly (granted, that's for many reasons, not least that he's been playing in a deeper role).

He was quality today though wasn't he; the way he just dropped a shoulder and side stepped out of trouble. he did that a few times in the second half and that just opened up the pitch to him. He'd have had a break on too if he wasn't completely knackered and had to stop and turn back!

You are right about many of the others. No where near direct enough at the moment - first instinct seems to be want to turn and go backwards. I've no problem with htis if there is nothing on, but it seems like that's our first option sometimes. Hopefully it's just the jitters and we'll get some swagger in our passing back soon.
The Shelvey conundrum on 16:09 - Feb 2 with 1595 viewsjackrabbit

Yes your Exhibit A was worth seeing again. Routledge can be a wonderful player with bags of skill but his form dropped alarmingly before this layoff. Perhaps the rest will help him get back to his best. Strikes like that one are special. Dyer though? What has happened to him? Funnily enough he had a good game yesterday....without the ball! He harried and tackled and helped Naughton bed-in before he switched wings and then he helped Taylor cope with Tadic. But with the ball he did nothing...except pass it backwards. Somebody on another board suggested converting him to a fullback. Not a bad idea, because he doesn't create anything on the wing.
The Shelvey conundrum on 17:16 - Feb 2 with 1546 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Shelvey conundrum on 16:09 - Feb 2 by jackrabbit

Yes your Exhibit A was worth seeing again. Routledge can be a wonderful player with bags of skill but his form dropped alarmingly before this layoff. Perhaps the rest will help him get back to his best. Strikes like that one are special. Dyer though? What has happened to him? Funnily enough he had a good game yesterday....without the ball! He harried and tackled and helped Naughton bed-in before he switched wings and then he helped Taylor cope with Tadic. But with the ball he did nothing...except pass it backwards. Somebody on another board suggested converting him to a fullback. Not a bad idea, because he doesn't create anything on the wing.

Nathan did one thing with the ball at the end of the game that none of the others did, he ran away with it from our Penalty Area in to their half, thus relieving the pressure.
There was no one up there for him to give it to though as everyone was back defending.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 17:18]
The Shelvey conundrum on 18:00 - Feb 2 with 1502 viewsperchrockjack

Strangw when after a surprise welcome win the main topic of conversation is of how good we re not or what failings players have.

Its not wrong but it takes a special mindset to slag off after a win.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Shelvey conundrum on 18:03 - Feb 2 with 1494 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 18:00 - Feb 2 by perchrockjack

Strangw when after a surprise welcome win the main topic of conversation is of how good we re not or what failings players have.

Its not wrong but it takes a special mindset to slag off after a win.

This thread is from last year, get with the programme for Gods sake.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 18:04 - Feb 2 with 1492 viewslibertine

jjs has a temper/passion for the game its s fine line I think that players need to stick on the fine line, as he is clearly targeted as one to wind up and he'll get sent off, look at ballotelli hes now pulled his temper in and his game has gone, its difficult.

Look what Bertrand did to barrow yesterday putting his hand over his face if hed done that to Shelvey hed have had a slap and shelve would have been sent off,why did the referee allow that since when can you clearly provoke someone into anger, you've probably seen Bellamy pulling someone by the ear while smiling as if hes messing around hes not hes trying to get him sent off.

JJS has a massive amount of potential his long passes are brilliant like his mentor and his long shots have also been brilliant.

who would you say is a football intelligent player>
The Shelvey conundrum on 15:44 - Aug 16 with 1282 viewsskippyjack

Footballing intelligence

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The Shelvey conundrum on 16:08 - Aug 16 with 1220 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The Shelvey conundrum on 19:38 - Dec 14 by oh_tommy_tommy

Keep knocking JJS .

He will sign another contract soon .

Fu ckin dreadful thread.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024