Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Shelvey conundrum 19:24 - Dec 14 with 12050 viewsParlay

As most on here may know, there has been a great debate about the intelligence of Shelvey letting his game down and contributing to him not getting a starting berth. Apparently according to one or two, that opinion of him is wrong.

Today opitomised exactly that for me. He came on and pinged some superb long passes around the park and then undid it with a complete brainless moment where he dropped deep to pick up the ball, so deep he was actually now the last line of defence, plenty of safe areas and open payers to pass to and he tries to beat the striker?! Needless to say he lost the ball and was now a one on one situation and having then to chase back, even then, he dived in from behind and almost gave away a penalty (and certain red card)?!

Space left, space right and even space in behind the defence to Bony.

Superbly naturally talented player but one of the most thoughtless players out there. This is why Monk cannot trust him with a starting berth at present.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 19:26]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:31 - Dec 14 with 1654 viewsStarsky

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:26 - Dec 14 by OhRobbieRobbie

Idiot?!

I said 'apparently' as I heard it today from a source inside the club. I don't pretend to know anything more or less, just saying what I heard this morning, so button it before I teach you some manners.

Well said.
2301 should cut the abuse. It serves him no good.

It's just the internet, init.

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:32 - Dec 14 with 1651 viewsScoobyWho

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:22 - Dec 14 by OhRobbieRobbie

JJS is off in January apparently. Doesn't want to be here.

Whether thats true or not, it wouldn't surprise me if he did go in the summer,

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:33 - Dec 14 with 1640 viewsLeonisGod

Cannot be trusted is a rediculous statement. He obviously was trusted (and repaid that trust) by being ever-present during our cracking start to the season. If he couldn't be trusted Carroll would have started instead.

But we've known since day 1 that it's not clear where to get the best out of him. He certainly switches off too much to be our best option for DM. He's not got the same work rate, vision and technique as Gylfi, so he won't get the nod in the no. 10 slot. he can spray it round well though - there's no problem with his quickness of thought there.

It's interesting that JJS saw Gerard as his role model, and we've been hearing the same conversation about him for years. Just how do you get the best out of him?
The Shelvey conundrum on 20:33 - Dec 14 with 1637 viewsOhRobbieRobbie

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:31 - Dec 14 by football2301

Ol rite ok fair enough it's not true

I hope it isn't true - good young player. Just passing on what entered my lug holes earlier.
The Shelvey conundrum on 20:34 - Dec 14 with 1631 viewsfootball2301

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:31 - Dec 14 by Starsky

Well said.
2301 should cut the abuse. It serves him no good.

2301 will say what he likes but answer to you post anyone can say a coach from the club it's bolox
The Shelvey conundrum on 20:36 - Dec 14 with 1611 viewsStarsky

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:34 - Dec 14 by football2301

2301 will say what he likes but answer to you post anyone can say a coach from the club it's bolox

Well yes you can but don't you think you can make a good point wIthout the name Calling?
If not, then carry on.

It's just the internet, init.

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:40 - Dec 14 with 1588 viewsOhRobbieRobbie

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:34 - Dec 14 by football2301

Let me assure you that an SCFC member of staff said that JJS will be off in January this morning. That part is not 'bolox' as you so eloquently put it. Whether or not he was 'talking bolox' is another matter - but he said it.
The Shelvey conundrum on 20:47 - Dec 14 with 1560 viewsmarchamjack

Just to back up OhRobbieRobbie, I've also had it from inside sources for a few weeks now (no I can't say who, not ORR's source, but just passing it on for you to take or leave no problems either way) that JJ wants out. I'd like him to stay for the record, but do think he is too often careless and can't be trusted each and every time on the pitch.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Login to get fewer ads

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:50 - Dec 14 with 1544 viewsWarwickHunt

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:40 - Dec 14 by OhRobbieRobbie

Let me assure you that an SCFC member of staff said that JJS will be off in January this morning. That part is not 'bolox' as you so eloquently put it. Whether or not he was 'talking bolox' is another matter - but he said it.

I heard that from a very reliable source last week.

Two more surprising departures on the cards in January too...
The Shelvey conundrum on 20:52 - Dec 14 with 1537 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:47 - Dec 14 by marchamjack

Just to back up OhRobbieRobbie, I've also had it from inside sources for a few weeks now (no I can't say who, not ORR's source, but just passing it on for you to take or leave no problems either way) that JJ wants out. I'd like him to stay for the record, but do think he is too often careless and can't be trusted each and every time on the pitch.

If that's true and bearing in mind that Ki is going to the Asian Cup in January, we need to make sure that adequate replacement(s) are secured before any deal for Shelvey to leave takes place.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:52 - Dec 14 with 1537 viewsDr_Winston

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:50 - Dec 14 by WarwickHunt

Any names?

We had a fairly quiet summer in the transfer window so a bit of activity in Jan wouldn't be surprising.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:54 - Dec 14 with 1517 viewsLeonisGod

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:47 - Dec 14 by marchamjack

Interesting. Thinks he should be a regular starter? Issues with Monk? Tapped up by someone else? I always thought he would be someone who would knuckle down, wait for his chance and take it. He looks half arsed at the best of times, so it's hard to tell if his heart's not in it. Potentially a very good player, would be a shame to see him go (but if he does can we get JDG back ). We were linked with Gio dos Santos heavily at one point too - wonder if he's still in our thoughts (although a very different type of player).
The Shelvey conundrum on 22:07 - Dec 14 with 1456 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:19 - Dec 14 by C_jack

A lack of consistency is not a lack of capability.

You've said yourself, he made superb passes, that is evident he has the intelligence, he can either have it, or not, make your mind up (or edit your post)

A superb passing technique is not superb intelligence. A man can run fast but doesn't mean he has footballing intelligence. Footballing intelligence is a mental, not physical, trait.

The OP doesn't need editing and there is no need to make my mind up on anything. He has great ability but awful game intelligence.

Not hard to understand.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 22:10]

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:11 - Dec 14 with 1446 views_

The game was gone then Parlay...

He was nothing short of superb once he came on though...

Him, Ki and Jeff stood out today, Bony too for keep on getting into those magical positions.

Come on everyone as well, we were facking great today..... Let's just leave it at that....

Just one of those things.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:11 - Dec 14 with 1446 viewsskippyjack

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:07 - Dec 14 by Parlay

A superb passing technique is not superb intelligence. A man can run fast but doesn't mean he has footballing intelligence. Footballing intelligence is a mental, not physical, trait.

The OP doesn't need editing and there is no need to make my mind up on anything. He has great ability but awful game intelligence.

Not hard to understand.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 22:10]

I know.. he doesn't see the run.. he doesn't see the pass.. he just uses his technique mun.. now I get you Parlay.. excellent analysis.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:15 - Dec 14 with 1335 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:11 - Dec 14 by skippyjack

I know.. he doesn't see the run.. he doesn't see the pass.. he just uses his technique mun.. now I get you Parlay.. excellent analysis.

He is a footballer, they pass. He has superb technique and thus passes long range a lot better than the others. Today his passing was excellent when he came on. When he starts a game however he often uses that excellent range of passing unintelligently and often makes the wrong pass at the wrong time.

So his technical passing ability has nothing to do with his lack of game intelligence though. His lack of game intelligence is when he has an abundance of obvious options and thinks it fine to make the most dangerous and difficult one when the rewards are no better.

That - is game intelligence. You need to understand what it is as you continually confuse game intelligence with technical ability.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 22:17]

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:20 - Dec 14 with 1319 viewsLeonisGod

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:15 - Dec 14 by Parlay

He is a footballer, they pass. He has superb technique and thus passes long range a lot better than the others. Today his passing was excellent when he came on. When he starts a game however he often uses that excellent range of passing unintelligently and often makes the wrong pass at the wrong time.

So his technical passing ability has nothing to do with his lack of game intelligence though. His lack of game intelligence is when he has an abundance of obvious options and thinks it fine to make the most dangerous and difficult one when the rewards are no better.

That - is game intelligence. You need to understand what it is as you continually confuse game intelligence with technical ability.

He'll always look for the killer ball if it's even remotely on, and that's quite refreshing. His vision and speed of thought can be superb at times, which surely comes under the 'intelligence' label. He switches off, that seems to be the issue more.

Moterro's the same in that he never looks for the easy pass, sometimes to the team's detriment - does that mean he lacks intelligence too?
The Shelvey conundrum on 22:20 - Dec 14 with 1319 viewsskippyjack

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:15 - Dec 14 by Parlay

Game intelligence is also making a pass nobody else sees or attempts.. Jonjo sees.. attempts and succeeds.. I agree though.. he certainly lacks certain game intelligence in other quarters.. just like all the players in our squad..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:24 - Dec 14 with 1302 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:11 - Dec 14 by _

The game was gone then Parlay...

He was nothing short of superb once he came on though...

Him, Ki and Jeff stood out today, Bony too for keep on getting into those magical positions.

Come on everyone as well, we were facking great today..... Let's just leave it at that....

Just one of those things.

Im not blaming him at all for the defeat T2C, far from it. I am using todays incident to showcase my point I've made all season as to why over 90 minutes he is too unreliable.

I disagree it was gone though, we have scored goals later than that. But that is not a Shelvey issue.

I am a big fan of Shelvey and have continually made the point he will be excellent with experience under his belt. He was excellent when he came on as you said, i mentioned it in the thread "my half time thoughts" as well as suggesting he would be a good option to bring on into the match.

My point is that these "mind lapses" are all too common with Jonjo and the sublime is cancelled out by major major thoughtless play. The game last year against Liverpool being a prime example.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:30 - Dec 14 with 1275 viewsParlay

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:20 - Dec 14 by skippyjack

Game intelligence is also making a pass nobody else sees or attempts.. Jonjo sees.. attempts and succeeds.. I agree though.. he certainly lacks certain game intelligence in other quarters.. just like all the players in our squad..

You arent describing Shelvey though. Great technique? Yes. Great accuracy? Yes. Great range of passing? Yes. Great vision? No.

I didn't see any pass jonjo made that nobody else sees. He passes to the obvious open man out wide. Not knocking him, thats good, but lets not make out they are Xavi eye of a needle multi angle passes because they are not. They are just accurate, long range passes. Everyone can see them but many dont have the technique jonjo has to pull them off, which is why he could be phenomenal in the future.

His lack of game intelligence is why he is so hit and miss. Today is a blinding example and a microcosm of his whole game. Ask yourself why he is so inconsistent. His technique never changes, it is always superb. So what is it? The answer is clear and the answer is why everyone almost to a man in football agrees... He makes stupid decisions far more often than he should.

Forum celebrity

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:56 - Dec 14 with 1243 viewsMrSwan

Hes one of our top 5 players by a country mile made a world class pass to Bony.

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:58 - Dec 14 with 1237 viewsicecoldjack

The Shelvey conundrum on 20:50 - Dec 14 by WarwickHunt

Hopefully not Gylfi and Bony.
The Shelvey conundrum on 23:16 - Dec 14 with 1213 views_

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:24 - Dec 14 by Parlay

Im not blaming him at all for the defeat T2C, far from it. I am using todays incident to showcase my point I've made all season as to why over 90 minutes he is too unreliable.

I disagree it was gone though, we have scored goals later than that. But that is not a Shelvey issue.

I am a big fan of Shelvey and have continually made the point he will be excellent with experience under his belt. He was excellent when he came on as you said, i mentioned it in the thread "my half time thoughts" as well as suggesting he would be a good option to bring on into the match.

My point is that these "mind lapses" are all too common with Jonjo and the sublime is cancelled out by major major thoughtless play. The game last year against Liverpool being a prime example.

Oh I know, to see him losing the ball and then that God awful lunge was just bonkers.

Imagine he'd have brought him down and git sent off and a pen, that would have just topped it all off... :-(

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

The Shelvey conundrum on 23:39 - Dec 14 with 1197 viewsdameedna

It was a pantomime and there were villains on each side.
We need Shelvey back in the starting 11 as we have lost 2 games without him playing.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 23:39]
The Shelvey conundrum on 23:48 - Dec 14 with 1184 viewsWarwickHunt

The Shelvey conundrum on 22:58 - Dec 14 by icecoldjack

Hopefully not Gylfi and Bony.

Surprising, not suicidal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024